Hybrid View

Community Member

Default I think melee is good now...can we have some ranged?

Its pretty clear that Update 19 is the Age of Meelefication...19.0 saw the devs try to boost melee Artis, making it much easier and more powerful to be a BS/D.axe Arti. Then Clerics and FVS got Warpriest, some melee ability. Now Arcanes are getting Eldritch Knight, so they can have some in-class melee ability as well.

That's great and good, and I'm all for diversification of classes, not everyone is forced into the same cookie cutter. However....WHY all the focus on MELEE? People want to build ranged characters too!

We got AA, and that was fantastic, finally bow users have something other than spamming the old Slaying Arrows and hoping for vorps. But so much of the new stuff since U19 has been obligately melee - it doesn't work with ranged weapons. It especially doesn't work with xbows. You cant synergize any of the new stuff with ranged combat... As a result, ranged chars are still largely confined to cut the same 2-3 cookies as they always were:

Repeaters = Arti. Mechanic doesn't really get anything special, and you probably will splash /2 Arti anyway for runearms and Summon Bolts, which cant be scrolled

Bows = Monkcher. There still isn't any way to get a decent ROF without cycling in 10KS; anything without 10KS is ultimately a flavor build, or at least a non-DPS build (buffer, healer, hybrid archer-caster, etc.). There isn't really enough deep in DWS or AA to warrant going pure Ranger for archery.

Can we see a little love tossed towards ranged combat? Attacks that work with ranged as well as melee combat. Bonuses to bows and xbows. Defensive passives that don't require S&B/TWF. Some meaningful Doublestrike that isn't confined to capstones (like the T-A doublestrike attack, but ranged) so archers can achieve a decent ROF. Some AOE ability, aside from IPS and hoping the enemies stay lined up for you. Tweaks to Warpriest/EK(/Warchanter?) that make it feasible to use them with bows/xbows (especially since SF favored weapon IS a bow, for WP).

Unfortunately.... it would probably be a really bad idea to further boost ranged combat.

The problem is EE, and the mobs AI. The mobs do so much damage, that being able to avoid being hit is a huge advantage. And nothing say "you can't hit me, nyah nyah" than simply hitting them from a distance while running around like a crazed chicken.

And the current state of power for a ranged toon... is rather huge. Mind you, most of that is in Fury shot, but that alone is pretty ridiculous.

And your options aren't quite as limited as you make them out to be. Rangers are still very viable (or maybe, are now very viable), and you see a number of melees who'll dip into ranged for Many shot (not unlike the core abilities of a ranger).

Sure, some of the more flavorful ranged builds could use a boost, but it is very hard to do that in such a way that doesn't also boost more powerful ranged builds. Perhaps something in the lvl 18/20 core enhancements of Mechanic
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

DWS added a lot to pure or small splash ranger ranged builds.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

It would be nice if archery were a viable option in heroic levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    It would be nice if archery were a viable option in heroic levels.
    Yeah AA's being able to lock down nearly everything with archery at heroic levels is just so weak sauce........................

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raoull View Post
    And the current state of power for a ranged toon... is rather huge. Mind you, most of that is in Fury shot, but that alone is pretty ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    DWS added a lot to pure or small splash ranger ranged builds.
    Agreed, once you get maxed out in Fury, your power level rises exponentially. However, that's the Epic extension of the Heroic cookie-cutting I was talking about...

Plus, I think the damage there is already done. Adrenaline + Slaying Arrows is already there, and I don't think if they made any other Enhancement attacks ranged-compatible, it would be any more powerful than what's already in game....you can only Adrenaline one attack at a time, after all.

DWS added sniper shot and a handful of sneak die. And, really, after you take your 6 RGR levels for that, what else do you do? Take 6 monk levels for 10KS. And then....whatever, 8 Fighter for Kensei? 8 Cleric for self-heals? Just more Monk? In Heroic, there is Ranger and there is Monk (for bow archery), and nothing else really syngergizes with archery past that. In Epic, there is Fury for DPS and Shiradi for CC. Those are your cookies, enjoy...

Ranged damage is so op anyway no way in the world do I want to see it boosted anymore.

Heroic levels are a joke anyway

Like chai said DWS adds damage to bows, and stuff.

Melee artis aren't even alive, u19 only helped divine melees , besides being able to be stanced with a weapon type/get monk stances, but most ranged builds already had this so...
    D E S T R U C T I O N

Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    Melee artis aren't even alive
    I had noticed a dramatic drop in the amount of juggernauts running around, what happened exactly?

I have to agree with the previous posters, as DDO has come a heck of a long way to where ranged combat was a total (and cruel) joke, to where it is now, to where those "cookie-cutter" options that we have now are now so powerful in the right circumstances, that boosting the non-cutter (I loathe that term, but its the best I got) options will only further push those who are multiclassed to maximize their efficiency. Rangers on their own do have some significant options to them now compared to before, and are much better off for it. Artificers have their own tricks available to them as well (sure, as a stand-alone class, they are tough to get to the level of multiclass splits, but that is the reality of the system). I would rather see melee, especially pure class options have that special something to really make it worthwhile to everyone to stay pure. The capstones and options in the trees while nice do not nearly work as well as a good split.

Paladins, I am looking at you (and having a geared Helves Angel turned Monkcher), as well as my barb.. I hate IV'ing to another, or tickling things that can't necessarily kill me either. Just my 2 copper.
    Science may be theory, but stupidity is proven.

Ranged need nothing at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Ranged need nothing at this time.
    Maybe melee needs an ability where they can still do some dps while jumping around backwards like a bunch of reversing kangaroos on krack?

Like epic level bleed dots, we hit em, dance backwards they bleed out, for 1/3 or even 1/4 of the dps we would normally do to em standing toe to toe? then we hit em again to restart the dot.........even that be weaksauce to caster/ranged dps from a safe distance lawl.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Maybe melee needs an ability where they can still do some dps while jumping around backwards like a bunch of reversing kangaroos on krack?

Like epic level bleed dots, we hit em, dance backwards they bleed out, for 1/3 or even 1/4 of the dps we would normally do to em standing toe to toe? then we hit em again to restart the dot.........even that be weaksauce to caster/ranged dps from a safe distance lawl.
    Or they can spend a few feats, invest in a ranged option, and stop being gimps.