Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    Was doing a Heroic Elite Tor, rolled a one on the ramp, it blew. None of the others did. Can't remember if I was lvl 15 yet or still 14, but this was last night. It happens.

It may not be an automatic fail on a 1, but when you're doing elite, at level, a 1 is usually a fail.
    My ranger does not fail on a 1 in at level elites. As long as he remembers to switch gear, that is. Which means the arties SHOULD stay away from the traps, it seems.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Was doing a Heroic Elite Tor, rolled a one on the ramp, it blew. None of the others did. Can't remember if I was lvl 15 yet or still 14, but this was last night. It happens.

It may not be an automatic fail on a 1, but when you're doing elite, at level, a 1 is usually a fail.
    Rubbish!

Own up - You forgot to swap from Minute Seeing to Disabling Gear didn't ya?

Just an FYI - Crit Fail happens if you fail by 5 or more!

So if you can get to within 5 of the highest DC at your level you'll NEVER blow a Box unless you've done something stupid like the above example.

Hey I did it tonight in Made to Order myself - Got the first Box, Blew up the Second - Only then realised I hadn't clicked my Goggles of Disabling and was still wearing the Goggles of Perception from Tempest Spine!

Number of times I died in said quest?
    5!!!

First time from getting in the way of the caster while trying to get to a box
    second time from being next to a barrel as the Arti shot it!
    third time from trap being right next to the d@rn box!
    fourth time from Monk charging ahead and through a trap with me just behind him!
    fifth time another Barrel blows up in my face - Durn Arti!

Yes I know my second life Druid 9/Rogue 4 with absolutely no points spent in either Druid Tree requires a better reflex save!

Oh and got Ingenious thank you very much!

EDIT: Kudos to the Paladin for raising me over and over again.
    Kudos to the Arti for running me back to the shrine when the Pally ran out
    and Kudos to everyone in that group for being so nice about it!
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 10-13-2013 at 12:17 AM.

automatically blow up in the face of anyone with even one Ranger level, killing him dead, not only rendering the mission a failure, or really amazing optional unreachable, but also causing permanent damage to his gear.
    loool so hard... nice one..

Perhaps for you. My last run through Gianthold on Elite I don't recall failing a single trap. I even rolled 1s multiple times. You won't fail if you keep your trapping skills maxed, have appropriate gear, and remember to equip said gear.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 10-13-2013 at 12:43 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

You do realise it was meant as a joke, right? Well, mostly.

This is just one of those revenge scenarios you dream up when monks kill you while you're searching out the trap, because his evasion and speed makes him not care, or a ranger (or any character with a rogue splash) blows a trap panel, again, when he knows there's a full artie and a full rogue in the party who could have done the thing without fail (barring the roll of a 1).
    My TR's ranger life was 12 ranger/7 monk/1 rogue. She was able to find and disable the mega death trap of doom in Cabal at level, and she had a 70+ spot/search/disable by level 20. So saying that rogue splashes can't disable as well as a pure rogue/arti is a little inaccurate, I think. Not to mention biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Aishana View Post
    So saying that rogue splashes can't disable as well as a pure rogue/arti is a little inaccurate, I think.
    If anything my experience has been that a good percentage of those who are pure Rogue or Artificer seem to somehow have this mistaken belief that doing so is necessary for trapping. It is thus very amusing when they cannot search, let alone disable, the trap at all and I am forced to do it for them with my supposedly less than ideal build.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taujack2 View Post
    I can't enter raid areas because my Reflex save is not 30 or higher.
    I can't Survive lvl 7 quests because i don't have evasion
    I can't navigate the Pit Elite without having to ressurrect 10 or 20 times without improved Evasion.
    Why are lvl 7 dungeon traps hitting for 70 to 200 dmg a hit?
    Please Scale these automatic traps down what they were in update 5, Or am I forced to take 2000 dmg cause The Epic trap has a REF save of 50 ...
    Not every player has uncanny Awareness enhancements on their normal characters!.
    It's not like you can "AVOID" those automatic damage areas, or disable them (without the evasion)
    I'll go with all the other Elite is meant to be deadly.
    If you can't handle elite I suggest you to get somebody with rogue skills (1) in your party to disable the traps, to tone down the difficulty to hard ( yeah I know ******** Streak and all, but at LVL 7 you have a lot of quests that will allow you to rebuild it ), and/or get better equipment.

(1) somebody with enough level or rogue or arti splashed will do the trick quite well in 99% of the content, the 1% left are a chest in Titan [ and I know splashes that have done it ] and a few traps in Cabal that are not quest important. Edit : and a few doors that are not a problem for quest completion.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Rubbish!

Own up - You forgot to swap from Minute Seeing to Disabling Gear didn't ya?

Just an FYI - Crit Fail happens if you fail by 5 or more!

So if you can get to within 5 of the highest DC at your level you'll NEVER blow a Box unless you've done something stupid like the above example.

Hey I did it tonight in Made to Order myself - Got the first Box, Blew up the Second - Only then realised I hadn't clicked my Goggles of Disabling and was still wearing the Goggles of Perception from Tempest Spine!

Number of times I died in said quest?
    5!!!

First time from getting in the way of the caster while trying to get to a box
    second time from being next to a barrel as the Arti shot it!
    third time from trap being right next to the d@rn box!
    fourth time from Monk charging ahead and through a trap with me just behind him!
    fifth time another Barrel blows up in my face - Durn Arti!

Yes I know my second life Druid 9/Rogue 4 with absolutely no points spent in either Druid Tree requires a better reflex save!

Oh and got Ingenious thank you very much!

EDIT: Kudos to the Paladin for raising me over and over again.
    Kudos to the Arti for running me back to the shrine when the Pally ran out
    and Kudos to everyone in that group for being so nice about it!

It was my gloves, thank you.

I've seen numerous traps failed, not usually my own. People usually blame it on rolling a 1. And some of these are real trap monkies.

I beg off trapping whenever possible. My artie doesn't waste enhancements on it, she's not a mechanic, and without evasion, it's better to have a rogue for the tricky ones.

did you have all your gear on?

only time I have ever blown a trap in my past few lives in any quest on Elite at level has been when I forget to swap.

It was my gloves, thank you.

I've seen numerous traps failed, not usually my own. People usually blame it on rolling a 1. And some of these are real trap monkies.

I beg off trapping whenever possible. My artie doesn't waste enhancements on it, she's not a mechanic, and without evasion, it's better to have a rogue for the tricky ones.
    I have done a total of 5 lives with trap skills. I don't do it now, even on a rogue/arti (unless people ask really nicely) because it's stupid. People should learn to deal with traps, rather than wait on a trapper.

However, I've never failed on a 1 beyond level 5. Below 5, bah. Probly will fail, because I don't waste enhancement points or feats on it. From 5-20, no fail.

My point? If a wis/str based monkcher can no-fail traps, I expect an artificer to do the same.

Community Member

You do realise it was meant as a joke, right? Well, mostly.

This is just one of those revenge scenarios you dream up when monks kill you while you're searching out the trap, because his evasion and speed makes him not care, or a ranger (or any character with a rogue splash) blows a trap panel, again, when he knows there's a full artie and a full rogue in the party who could have done the thing without fail (barring the roll of a 1).
    If your full artie or rogue level character is blowing boxes on a one, should probably step aside and let my mostly fighter 1 rogue disarm it because he doesn't. Levels don't matter, just bonus.

Community Member

There's a lot of adventures where the traps are way, way more dangerous than the monsters.
    I wouldn't mind seeing them toned down a bit, and the monsters a bit more dangerous.

Geoff.

Just to clarify something...

I'm talking about my first toon here. I went monkcher because the forums told me how "leet" they are, I then went with WOWO's arti variant for UMD. I added trap skills because they seemed important.

I still managed to get every trap I attempted from level 8 (when someone gave me a disable +10 item).
    These days, I have race restricted ML:5 disable/search +10 items, thus I can do it at level 5.

If you cannot afford proper trap gear at level, ask someone. Might take a few people, but somebody will grab it for you, because not everyone that plays this game is an ass like me.

This is why the internet disgusts me - yes, I'm somewhat of an elitist. But I started somewhere, and I remember that. I go to lengths to help new players, because people helped me. Yes, I was a bit harsh in regards to Phaeton_Seraph, but to claim only pures can get traps? No. A pure rogue, unless it's a mechanic, has no innate trapping abilities over a /1 or /2 rogue splash. It's just the ability to max search/disable and get the trapfinding feat that matters.

Ask a random vet if need be, some (like me) have spares to help people. (Anything in quotation marks is courtesy of a post that was cubed.)

Community Member

just do them on hard then come back over leveled and smash through it on elite for the favor. that's what I do now for annoying quests like Proof is in the poison. Lifes to short to get hung up on the traps. Just after my Tr I came upon the marketplace quest that takes you in the sewer for the quickfoots hideout. They have an acid trap that doesn't shut off. You either have a trapper, the jump spell and no lag or you die and god help your cleric hireling tagging along trying to follow you. Same with the different traps in whisper doom. The ogre village has a set of random traps each time. it can be at the entrance, 1 door down, or 2 doors down and only 1 is not instant kill. I spent many hours of frustration on quests like that learning the timing and dying. Didn't have fun. My advice skip it come back later to get some revenge in and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    going to address just this bit here because, this it the only part that you have identified which quest/traps are giving you trouble.

the majority of the traps in the Pit are sonic traps (bring a sonic resistance Item might help) really these traps are completely avoidable you just need to use timing.

I am not sure which generation of gamer you are from but, in my generation we played Super Mario Bros. The first time we encountered a pipe with a piranha plant that rises up and kills Mario we may have died. After the first time getting eaten by the plant in the pipe we learned to time our jump over this pipe. The piranha plant may have got us a few more times until we learned how to time it right.

we did not write letters to NES asking them to remove the plant in the pipe.

I suggest you practice avoiding traps and ask advice on how to avoid them rather than complaining about something that every other player before you has learned to deal with.
    ok most of the traps are NOT SONIC. sonic is grey circles. know the difference and don't give bad advice. force is purple. :P hence purple damage from the traps in the pit. acid is another trap in the pit as well. So its force and acid not force. I wished people would stop making these silly advice to people.

also the force traps can be avoided. You hug the wall or wait. not too hard honestly. Sorry i don't mean to nitpick but i hate when i see bad info given.

in a bad build toon, yes it is

the only reason because i could blow up a trap is by forgetting to swap disabling gear, no matter if it's a 1 or a 8, if ur total roll is 5 below the dc of the trap it blows up, no automatic fail allowed in dd if not nobody would matter rolling a trapper(or a splash of it)
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

sorry if anything they need to dramatically increase the damage traps do!

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    I go to lengths to help new players, because people helped me.
    I tried this for a while but the majority either could not or would not learn how to. I've even run into some that persisted in their ignorance without the use of gear. So I stopped pugging the early levels and either ran them solo or grouped with friends. By the time you reach Gianthold the problem has usually resolved itself as they have learned that gear is of importance.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    I tried this for a while but the majority either could not or would not learn how to. I've even run into some that persisted in their ignorance without the use of gear. So I stopped pugging the early levels and either ran them solo or grouped with friends. By the time you reach Gianthold the problem has usually resolved itself as they have learned that gear is of importance.
    Ah well. Most are happy to get the "basic" package - +4 con, +20 hp. (+20 hp is going extinct, however...)
    The ones that don't? I show off a little, brag about non-existent credentials and act like I'm king of the world, thus they take what I say - due to the authority of the BS I shovel at them.

Whatever it takes to rip the world of 130 hp level 13 wizards.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    ok most of the traps are NOT SONIC. sonic is grey circles. know the difference and don't give bad advice. force is purple. :P hence purple damage from the traps in the pit. acid is another trap in the pit as well. So its force and acid not force. I wished people would stop making these silly advice to people.

also the force traps can be avoided. You hug the wall or wait. not too hard honestly. Sorry i don't mean to nitpick but i hate when i see bad info given.
    no your right its force I was mistaken since they look pretty much the same save he color and its been years since I learned to avoid them so haven't gotten a damage number from them in some time... still learning timing/avoidance is key was my main point

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast