Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Angry Please scale back damage floors automatic traps

I can't enter raid areas because my Reflex save is not 30 or higher.
    I can't Survive lvl 7 quests because i don't have evasion
    I can't navigate the Pit Elite without having to ressurrect 10 or 20 times without improved Evasion.
    Why are lvl 7 dungeon traps hitting for 70 to 200 dmg a hit?
    Please Scale these automatic traps down what they were in update 5, Or am I forced to take 2000 dmg cause The Epic trap has a REF save of 50 ...
    Not every player has uncanny Awareness enhancements on their normal characters!.
    It's not like you can "AVOID" those automatic damage areas, or disable them (without the evasion)

What quest in particular are you complaining about?

In all seriousness, most traps are easy enough to avoid that nobody bothers. I have evasion, I use it for spells. I just dodge traps.

ummm say what op? Can you come back after some coffee etc and type that again in a way that makes sense because in general none of your complaints make sense because none of them are true.

traps are meant to hurt and on elite, they really should be pretty much insta killers. trap damage has decreased overall considerably over time, except poison traps. poison traps I don't think should work the way they do. evasion is useful, but not required getting through/around traps because you just need good timing and theres most times a way to not have to get hit by them.

Community Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by taujack2 View Post
    I can't navigate the Pit Elite without having to ressurrect 10 or 20 times without improved Evasion.
    Please Scale these automatic traps down what they were in update 5, Or am I forced to take 2000 dmg cause The Epic trap has a REF save of 50 ...
    Not every player has uncanny Awareness enhancements on their normal characters!.
    It's not like you can "AVOID" those automatic damage areas, or disable them (without the evasion)
    Or you could do what the rest of the community does, lift your own game!

Community Member

I'd think Blood Road is one of those quests. The first lightning floor you can run around the edge safely but the higher floors you have to cross. It's a tough quest, especially if you're trying to make it without a death. Not required though, if its too much skip it.

Community Member

200 damage is not an instakill for a well-equipped L7, and if you're not well equipped, don't tackle Elite...and that includes jump/resist pots/wands if you cant cast.

If you're attempting to disarm traps by shoving your face in them until they jam, then yes its going to be tough to avoid death. However, if you try to jump/time your move/etc. to avoid the traps, you can avoid damage without Evasion.

Really, the only complaint you could have is if its a guaranteed instakill every trap - but if you can survive through to the end, then just heal up and try to do better next time.

I just finished a pure caster life with no evasion or trapping abilities and I think I only died a couple more times than my other toon that just made it to epic levels with evasion and trapping abilities.

You have to play differently, and for sure having a trapper on some quests really helps. You can also do them on normal or possibly hard as the traps don't hurt nearly as much. Or skip them. There is way too much focus on playing this game as a God with meta gamed abilities and knowledge, twink gear, evasion, and pick and choose abilities from different enhancement trees. That is certainly one way to play, but it's not the only way.

Adventure is not going boldly forth knowing exactly what to expect and being perfectly equipped and talented. Real adventure is going forth with no freaking idea what you're doing and not having the perfect gear. What are the most memorable quests? The ones with no complications where the WF sorc just ran a sprint through a quest killing everything instantly, or the time you and your friends barely made it by the skin of your teeth and maybe a little strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by kwyjibo_lol View Post
    Or you could do what the rest of the community does, lift your own game!
    ^^this

Thinking about it, lets have them set elite traps to about 10k hp base. This means if you take the damage even with all the absorption gear possible you'll still die. This will make it disarm, time perfectly, or run another difficulty. You know making elite actually mean elite.

going to address just this bit here because, this it the only part that you have identified which quest/traps are giving you trouble.

the majority of the traps in the Pit are sonic traps (bring a sonic resistance Item might help) really these traps are completely avoidable you just need to use timing.

I am not sure which generation of gamer you are from but, in my generation we played Super Mario Bros. The first time we encountered a pipe with a piranha plant that rises up and kills Mario we may have died. After the first time getting eaten by the plant in the pipe we learned to time our jump over this pipe. The piranha plant may have got us a few more times until we learned how to time it right.

we did not write letters to NES asking them to remove the plant in the pipe.

I suggest you practice avoiding traps and ask advice on how to avoid them rather than complaining about something that every other player before you has learned to deal with.

Please do not scale back the traps because elite is supposed to be elite period and yes it can be annoying as all get out but a good game breaks out deep emotional responses. I finally had my first real experience with the low level elite poison traps and they brought out some choice words inciting a reaction in the house hold getting the stink eye thrown at me and asked what the hell did you just call me then explaining I was yelling at the game. Elite is Elite period and regardless if I would like to see nerfs or not on elite they need to make em so that I can with the party exclaim holy freaking yadda yadda I did that on elite or we did.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

As a person who runs toons that are often called upon to trap, I want to see more prejudicially deadly traps in the game of the following design:

• The trap should be easily spottable.
    • The trap panel should be in a safe location before the trap.
    • The trap should not be evadable, bypassable, wings or propulsion boots should not allow anyone to jump over the trap.
    • The trap should do extra damage to monks, breaking all their gear as well as killing them.
    • The trap panel should require a minimum of 3 rogue/artificer levels and automatically blow up in the face of anyone with even one Ranger level, killing him dead, not only rendering the mission a failure, or really amazing optional unreachable, but also causing permanent damage to his gear.

I would like these traps to appear in quests from level 18+

You may now all continue taunting the OP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    As a person who runs toons that are often called upon to trap, I want to see more prejudicially deadly traps in the game of the following design:

• The trap should not be evadable, bypassable, wings or propulsion boots should not allow anyone to jump over the trap.
    • The trap should do extra damage to monks, breaking all their gear as well as killing them.
    • The trap panel should require a minimum of 3 rogue/artificer levels and automatically blow up in the face of anyone with even one Ranger level, killing him dead, not only rendering the mission a failure, or really amazing optional unreachable, but also causing permanent damage to his gear.
    • Disabling the trap will instantly kill the Trapper and permanently delete the character.

You missed one. If one is going to suggest dumb things, may as well go all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Thinking about it, lets have them set elite traps to about 10k hp base. This means if you take the damage even with all the absorption gear possible you'll still die. This will make it disarm, time perfectly, or run another difficulty. You know making elite actually mean elite.

This would be fine, while you're at it go ahead and ramp up mob hp & damage too...

but just remember to remove the favor from all Elite quests [just spread it over Casual, Normal & Hard] so the mere mortal don't have run it then.
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

I think I've quoted the most mind numbingly stupid post I've ever seen... I think I'm just going to leave it at that.
    Last edited by Moonsickle; 10-12-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I really miss old Epic Wiz King, kiting mobs into traps because they did way more DPS than you ever could. Traps these days barely do enough damage to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsickle View Post
    I think I've quoted the most mind numbingly stupid post I've ever seen... I think I'm just going to leave it at that.
    You do realise it was meant as a joke, right? Well, mostly.

This is just one of those revenge scenarios you dream up when monks kill you while you're searching out the trap, because his evasion and speed makes him not care, or a ranger (or any character with a rogue splash) blows a trap panel, again, when he knows there's a full artie and a full rogue in the party who could have done the thing without fail (barring the roll of a 1).
    Last edited by Phaeton_Seraph; 10-12-2013 at 10:41 PM.

This is just one of those revenge scenarios you dream up when monks kill you while you're searching out the trap, because his evasion and speed makes him not care, or a ranger (or any character with a rogue splash) blows a trap panel, again, when he knows there's a full artie and a full rogue in the party who could have done the thing without fail (barring the roll of a 1).
    If it fails it's gimp. It should have better gear.

Also, bah. You don't fail on a 1 last I checked..

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    If it fails it's gimp. It should have better gear.

Also, bah. You don't fail on a 1 last I checked..
    Was doing a Heroic Elite Tor, rolled a one on the ramp, it blew. None of the others did. Can't remember if I was lvl 15 yet or still 14, but this was last night. It happens.

It may not be an automatic fail on a 1, but when you're doing elite, at level, a 1 is usually a fail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast