Community Member

Default Suggest Adding "Permanent" Hirelings...

Hirelings are a useful tool in game for players, especially gamers who prefer to grind out dungeons on their own.
    I've been thinking about this for some time and have come up with the idea of having a player using one of their available character slots to create a "hired hand." At time of creation this NPC would be the same level of the creator (i.e. level 7 for a level 7 player... 15 for level 15 player and so on). The gamer would be able to choose the desired class, gender and race for their "hired hand;" and the system would populate/ generate the rest based on the "best for the given class" and a random roll.
    The player would be able to change main and off-hand weapons as the NPC progresses, including armor... but not much else. They could possibly earn guild XP at a reduced rate. The hired hand possibly could have a single inventory space to "mule" none critical items.
    They could be bought from the DDO store or earned... And of course they could be upgraded over time.

I'm just saying I'd prefer this than having to spend coin all the time getting a new hireling...

Quote Originally Posted by rdavis1974 View Post
    Hirelings are a useful tool in game for players, especially gamers who prefer to grind out dungeons on their own.
    I've been thinking about this for some time and have come up with the idea of having a player using one of their available character slots to create a "hired hand." At time of creation this NPC would be the same level of the creator (i.e. level 7 for a level 7 player... 15 for level 15 player and so on). The gamer would be able to choose the desired class, gender and race for their "hired hand;" and the system would populate/ generate the rest based on the "best for the given class" and a random roll.
    The player would be able to change main and off-hand weapons as the NPC progresses, including armor... but not much else. They could possibly earn guild XP at a reduced rate. The hired hand possibly could have a single inventory space to "mule" none critical items.
    They could be bought from the DDO store or earned... And of course they could be upgraded over time.

I'm just saying I'd prefer this than having to spend coin all the time getting a new hireling...
    Players can buy a Permanent hire now in the DDO Market, but it is only a 3rd level Cleric. The hire comes with the starter pack.

In AD&D they were called Henchmen--especially loyal followers controlled by players, though the DM could assert control if necessary. Henchmen worked for a character and often shared her adventures, but only earned half experience.

Henchmen would make a wonderful addition to this game. Having each one take up a character slot makes much sense. To avoid making the game too easy, perhaps each character could choose to take a Hirling or a Henchmen on a given adventure, but never both? (Gold Seal Hirlings would continue to function as normal.)
    Last edited by Annex; 11-05-2013 at 02:41 AM.