Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lamannia Coordinator SqueakofDoom's Avatar
    The End of the Universe - The view is great!

Default The Official A Study in Sable Discussion Thread!

Please use this thread to discuss the Update 20 Quest: A Study in Sable.
    Last edited by SqueakofDoom; 10-22-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Surveys are AWESOME!
    Bug Things! We like bugs! ... well not really, bugs are bad, but we like to know about them!
    Copy your Character or make a new one using the handy tools available in the Test Dojo.

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    Please use this thread to discuss the Update 20 Quest: A Study in Sable.

It would also be great if you would take the A Study in Sable Survey
    Very cool quest. The board game Clue meets Bram Stoker / Gothic Horror.

enjoyed the overall quest design, but the end fight in particular was horrifically frustrating. Between the end boss constantly "bats"ing, casting web every 7 seconds, and needing to keep him in the particular spots, the fight was way too annoying and actively killed my enjoyment of the quest. Listening to me play the quest in teamspeak probably sounded something like:

This quest is neat
    Ooh, neat
    ******, didn't save that one. Next time
    Nice, loving the new "animated" stuff
    Well, 3/4 ain't bad
    Webbed. Webbed. Get into that spot. NO, don't bats again! FFFUUUUU.....
    I was having a particularly difficult time figuring out where the actual hit areas for the "beams" were, as after taking out the 3 pillars, the entire area lower area around the alter should have been covered, but was not, and I constantly had to attempt to run him around, Benny Hill style.
    Epic Destiny Planner - http://ddodestiny.info
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

the quest is fun, though not really rewarding, only found two chest, one at named werewolf, one at final fight.. no named item so far...about the end fight..

pillar have way too much health, and there are too many pillar.. boss have way too much health, and sometime have strange dr, which i don't know how to bypass(surely it is not dr silver or good)

p.s. there are too much spawn in basement.. monster inside should no respawn, even if they have to they should not respawn right at the next moment... the quest is very long and confusing, the xp reward are not too good. i get 28k on epic hard, which is not enough for it's length.
    DDO have betray it's lineage, it is no longer any true to DND.. which Is why am gone.. for good..

Community Member

Default Fun Quest

I concur that the xp reward seems too low, but the quest was quite interesting once you realize exactly what's happening.

Apparently some people missed the golem on the roof - check your map when you're in the attic. There's a difficult-to-see ladder on the wall getting you to the roof, a big open area.

I missed one of the journals somehow, but I assume all of them were there.

I managed to guess wrong on the first guy and so did not get all the optionals - in thinking about it, there were plenty of hints as to who should be first, so my error there.

Did discover two bugs - 1) if you pick the option about "fighting evil" instead of giving the object to the thrall, he runs to join his master, but remains inactive in the final fight (pr at least this was the case with the first guy); 2) even after collecting the rat, it name and outline remain visible in the crypt.

One request: could you make it Harper favor instead of PDK? Both fit, and given the comparative difficulty of Breaking the Ranks and What Goes Up to solo on HE, one more Harper quest would be helpful.

Is the second quest coming really House Cannith as it indicates in the compendium? Harpers would make more sense for that one too.

Looking forward to the second quest given how interesting the first was.

Completed yesterday on EE. Killed both optionals, werewolf and golem. Failed saving one houseguest, found all journals and only one chest at end. Not really rewarding, it took me 90 minutes, i like exploring.

Overall the quest is "different", i liked it, but its not rewarding.
    Thelanis - Officer of Reinos Olvidados: Henkyh, Neghi, Konokka, Kufei, Bartolomew, Rovinh, Artinata

Community Member

i liked the quest,very different than hack n' slash.however,i'm a bit biased,as i naturally like stuff like this.but i do have one thing:the boss.the pillars weren't a problem for me,however if you want to do something like that,it would be a bit easier if sable melee'ed more.and web,web everywhere,there was to much web,half the time I cast divine punishment:you are entangled.other than that,it's a wonderful quest.i don't mind the low xp,the quest being what is it is enough to make up for it

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

I like the quest, really, it's great to have a quest that's not wadding through waves after waves after waves of mob to hack through.

I really enjoyed being able to Turn the vampires with my cleric.

There's two low points with the quest :
    - The end Fight ( see below )
    - Only two chests and 3 items as reward ( one being the 50 renown token ). One more chest would have been nice as well as some Named Items.

The End Fight :

- I discovered about the pillars only after killing the Vampire... So on EN/EC you can brute kill it, even if it takes ages. ( it does take ages as he regen ).
    - Webs weren't annoying me that much, but he was really spamming it.
    - The pillars, as they are intended as a quest device, have way too much HP, it took me almost as much time to kill them than it took me to kill the Vampire.
    They should be relatively easy to kill. Not something that takes a while to kill while somebody kite the Vampire ?* la Benny Hill around the place.
    - I liked that the waves of trash mob during end fight weren't so obvious than in the previous ( Wheloon/Storm Horn ) adventures.

Now if you make us a quest with a 2D puzzle ( 3D puzzle are too bothersome for most players ) like there's in many of the early quests I'd be quite happy.

Side note :
    I really liked the optionals. Though I missed one of the Journal Pages.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Now if you make us a quest with a 2D puzzle ( 3D puzzle are too bothersome for most players ) like there's in many of the early quests I'd be quite happy.
    i really enjoy the 3d puzzel in eye chain~~ was hell of fun, and nice reward too.. still use that trinket on several of my toon.

Community Member

For a change of pace from just killing things i found this quest really enjoyable and fun. The thought that needs to go into trying to solve the various puzzles you are presented with was good and I very much enjoyed this quest and would love to see a few more like this in the future.

The final fight seemed ok to me but i see what people mean about the webs getting you.

Things that i noticed on a second play through and cannot put into the survey having already submitted one. This playthrough was on epic normal with a level 25 cleric with a maxed out exalted angel destiny and 3 T1 twists slotted.

1. Monster manual, the various new creatures in this encounter are not popping into the monster manual yet.

2. The DM text may have some typos in it I noticed one in the text directing me to the final fight.

3. In the final fight some sort of indicator about the pillars. Maybe a comment to the effect that they look to be crumbling and might be brought down easily might help players out with this fight. I was only aware of them due to reading these forums not sure i would have found them otherwise.

4. The order you get given the wings seems to be random which is nice for replayability but for people who find the rat trap but have not been out back yet they may not be sure what that item is for.

5. The spiders HP seemed a little high to me but that might just be due to the way i play and not being used to that level of play.

6. Some rooms can be avoided and so enemies skipped if players choose once they have found the items they are looking for.

7. The new topiary monsters are not taking extra fire damage which if they are based on the Topiary guardian from monster manual 3 they should do as those have fire vulnerability listed. Also topiary guardians may be exhibiting the same problem that the guards that have been turned to stone in the eyes of stone quest. As one at the start seemed to flinch briefly on this playthrough.

8. This may have just been my luck but the loot i obtained felt a little lacking from the chests each one seemed to contain 1 item of an appropraite level 1 gem and some platinum.

The experience awarded for this quest from the 2 epic quests i have played on live to date seemed to be about the same as 2 quests from the red fens which are a lower difficulty level wise but felt about the same as this quest. The last stand and fathom the depths where the 2 that i have played to date and the difficulty for this quest does to me feel about the same possibly a bit harder.

At the minute it is difficult to to comment on the length of the quest as this will very much depend on your play style. Some people might take a while to play through and enjoy the quest and conversations, others may be able to run through much more quickly especially once they have a feel for the quest.
    Last edited by GrimmMar; 10-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Founder

What level are the new quests?

Quote Originally Posted by maddong View Post
    A Study in Sable is lvl 25. Haven't even bothered to talk to the other NPC for the other quest to find out what level that one is. I'm assuming the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleanincubus View Post
    A Study in Sable is lvl 25. Haven't even bothered to talk to the other NPC for the other quest to find out what level that one is. I'm assuming the same.
    strange am almost sure the epic hard version says 29 when i enter..

Quote Originally Posted by maddong View Post
    A Study in Sable is level 12 on Heroic Normal and level 25 on Epic Normal. Whence Was I Born (the House C quest) is level 16 on Heroic Normal and level 28 on Epic Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by burningwind View Post
    Yes, Epic Elite Whence Was I Born is a level 30 quest.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by burningwind View Post
    If it is 28 norm then storm horns will be run even less unless it is part of the x pac....

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Default //Spoilers within...read with caution//

I rolled up a monk on Lama and grabbed a little gear off the AH then ran the 4 travel to eveningstar quests to try out this quest.

The quest is very nice and the artwork is great. Kudos! It can be lengthy when soloing and I did this on EN, so take this with that knowledge in mind. I found that most of the mobs were fairly well done hitpoint wise, although the red names seemed a bit much on EN...had to use my self-healing from GMOF and my meditation as well during the werewolf fight(did this after clearing the rest of the hedge maze...love it!!) The golem was kind of a pain, but only had to use GMOF heal ability on this fight, so his hp seemed fine for solo. Found all the journal entries and was able to save all 4...you should speak with them before you talk to Lord Ebermund, then when you talk to them after "waiting" see what they say differently. It is nice to have a quest where certain quest items are randomly placed again. 2 of the 4 items to search out the thralls are semi-random and the 4 capture items are also semi-random, although in the same areas of the house or so it seems.

As mentioned above, the rat name stays in the same place even after it has been captured. Not sure about the outline, but could be. The pillars seem ok, but lots of hp. Also, in werewolf fight in maze, only had to go around corner and use my meditation heal...that's not right, he should follow...might want to work on that before live.

Got 4 chests on my run, named golem and werewolf and 2 at end, guessing because I saved all 4 guests? Since I ran it on a rogue before this and only got 1 at end since I only saved 3 guests...guessed wrong on the first one that time.

Looks mostly done, good work to the designers and developers, but still needs a little polish before live. Could probably use a small xp boost, but not bad for the length.

Saal

I also liked the fact that the thralls are random as to who is first, second, etc. Will make for nice replayability.
    Last edited by Saaluta; 10-19-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Thumbs up Overall very cool

All in all very, very cool quest! Loved to figure everything out ... how much fun repetitions are though will be seen ...

Note on the endfight (always ran it on epic hard):
    For a melee the endfight is ridiculously hard, as the vampire has caster AI -> keeps running away and thus constantly runs out of the lightbeam ... in a group not such a problem as you can box him in ... solo it makes the fight super-tough to impossible (just to give you an idea ... it takes probably around 15-20 seconds to lure him into the lightbeam. then you get around 2-3 seconds to damage him, before he runs away and him going "bats" and thus being completely invulnerably and immovable every 10 seconds does not help either.

On the other hand, on a ranged toon this is far easier: Move him once in the lightbeam - stay away from him -> he only moves now and then and thus stays vulnerable for over 80% of the time - easy kill.

So to speak:
    Melee: Boss is vulnerable about ~11% of the time
    Ranged: Boss is vulnerable about ~85% of the time (both including positioning and phasing)

Which in turn means that the melee would need around 45 times the dps of the ranged to cover up the regen of the vampire (did the calculation on the fly - hopefully it is somewhat accurate ;p - but even, if it is not completely accurate - the point stands) ... I mean playing mostly ranged toons, I don't care THAT much ;p ... but for fairness sake, I had to state it
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

I did not have time to fully run the quest but I did want to mention what a surprise I got in the Library. ON L27 Arty on EH. I buffed in my usual weap buffs and that was my first mistake. I found a secret door and out popped a mob. I had totally failed to buff proper weap and my dog and hire went *ding* *ding* one after the other. Using the architecture of the room I cleared the mobs and raised the dog and hire. This is as far as I got, ran out of time RL called me away. That was a very happy surprise and I hope there is much more to come. I like how large the quest / mansion appears to be, there appears to be lots to do.

Community Member

Overall, I found the quest to be quite entertaining. I enjoyed the change of pace from a linear, run through and kill dungeon. While it was still a little linear with only one section opening at a time, the overall atmosphere, mood, and theme made it feel very different.

I love the animated items, and was quite thrilled when I saw my first one pop up and assault me. I was slightly disappointed at first, as it seemed to be exclusively swords and shields - until I was bushwacked by a spinning barrage of crates! Even a book came after me, much to my entertained delight. I am still secretly hopeful that Animate Object becomes a kind of special summon in the game.

I learned far too late that the "revelation" items were one use; I casually walked up to one of the guests without checking their banter to see if it had changed, had them look at the sun orb I just obtained, and the guest just shrugged it off. I went to the next... no orb. I made an appropriate, "D'oh!" sound then, and checked one of the guests off of my list of would-be survivors.

I also learned far too late that there is not extended dialogue once you do find out someone to be a thrall. First one I revealed, I had the item option, and amusing dialogue in a half-hearted attempt to sway them from their new master. Curious, I clicked the dialogue, and find the individual running off willy-nilly, screaming for master. Scratch two survivors.

I found both the golem and the werewolf, though I didn't figure out the particular trick for the golem fight. I'm not certain if there is a way to negate his aura or not, but I just bruted through the fight. I like many of the monsters that appear, and so often walked down the main halls going, "that'll probably come to life. That, that might come to life. Gargoyles on the landing? Hmm... 50-50 on if they're decor or if they're minions."

I ended up saving one and a half guests. I say half, because although she didn't get to join the master with the other thralls, I don't think they're particularly saved with what happened to her.

And then came the only blot on the adventure - the final battle. I discovered all ten scrolls, and read the history of how he was bound and everything that manifested. I thought they might play a role in things, considering the impression the ghost gives that it's oh-so-vital to learn about her crush. Red herring.

Okay, so, maybe all those items that got stole, maybe they have a role in things. Red herring.

I fight off waves of enemies, dancing around the two poor shmucks I failed to save, and I give the room a quick once-over to see if there's anything beyond beating on the boss. Well, the towers did not register on my info orb, and they didn't make any sounds as I ran past swinging willy-nilly the first time, so I dismissed them. I went toe-to-toe with the vampy lord, wondering if the programmers were cool enough to give you a second attempt to save the other thralls. If I could end up killing the lord and they would go free, I'd sing the devs' praises for a nice option there.

Then I realized how little damage I was doing to the vamp. I blinked, scowled, saw little numbers and said very unkind words in the heat of the moment. Sighing in disgust, I decided it wasn't worth the time or effort to save the two chowderheads and killed them off, until it was me, my hireling, and the boss. My mind's reeling, because I've got metalline and good on my weapon; I'm wondering if Metalline's borked and not registering as silver or something, and then I peek at the lord's expanded information. some BS Epic DR special effect that made me swear.

I'm more of a casual player, and I haven't really done much grinding for some of the things people have. So, finding this new power-up on the boss made me wonder if the devs were catering to a more powerhouse oriented group of players. slightly disgusted that my particular character wasn't geared to such an extreme, I settled in for a mind-numbing slog of just putting my special attacks in sequence, while letting my hireling periodically heal me.

And lo and behold, I strike down the vamp lord with a might blow, and - the bastard appears with half health. I jumped up in my seat, saying more things that are not appropriate to share in polite company. My mind was abuzz with mixed feelings. Was this an awesome surprise, the boss needing to be beaten twice? Was this some horrible BS, and you had to beat the boss once for each item mentioned in the ghost's chronicles? Was there something else I had failed to see how to do somehow, somewhere?

Well, turned out C was the answer, but I didn't know that at the time. I was really hoping it was just an extra surprise fight, and that the devs could be talked out of the ridiculous DR mod and dropping the HP a little, as extended fights with high HP bosses where you're just trading blows just gets boring. I slogged through the remaining half life, and I smote the vampire.

he came back for round three. At that point, I threw up my hands, uttering unflattering remarks, and ran all over creation to figure out what I had missed. There was nothing in the deep hole I dropped down, and in the main room I saw nothing - until I decided to just beat up everything. By chance, I saw a pillar flicker, and then I gave an experimental hit again. I heard a damage sound this time, and it flickered once more. I wail on it a little bit, and then aim upward. With a scowl that nearly inverted my face, I watched as the pillar finally flickered in my targeting orb.

Three pillars down later, and I swatted the boss like a fly. I got a rather lackluster chest from him, with but a single docent and some plat. I humbly ask the powers in be to add some hint or notification about the pillars, as others had suggested. Also, I'm slightly confused at how the sun's pouring in, because the windows didn't look that high up. I feel like I fell at least twice as far into the area, away from what was presumably ground level.

There was one issue I had with the quest, where the boss monsters ignored threat. The golem, the werewolf, and the vampire lord all didn't give two copper about threat, and just felt like attacking people as they liked. Even with successful intimidates and having my hireling just stand around as I pumped damage into them, they barely paid me any heed. Halfway through the vamp's life I had my hireling just standing and doing nothing, healing only at my command to conserve spell points, and the vampire lord went after him just as often as he did my character through all three appearances. I'm just curious if this was intentional, or if something is buggered.
    Anything can be explained by drunken wizards.

"Hey! I got a piece of the +1 Butter Knife of Victory! Ah-oh, wait, wait. It's just a crummy, normal +1 dagger of ghostbane..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast