Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default What does this mean ...

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...01#post5129901

Reading that post I see the last line
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero
    Accounts that return from their break will have a significantly reduced inventory, as items are being removed from the characters with extreme prejudice.
    What does that mean exactly? Do they risk losing items gained legitimately. Can you imagine losing an eSoS because you duped a couple thousand Prayer Beads? Not that I am passing judgement or crying alarm though, it's more of a "WOW can you imagine" reaction at this point.

It's got me curious and to be honest I wonder if that means some of these dupers aren't going to come back and find themselves standing on the snowy side of Korthos in Rags again?

Any official word on what that policy looks like?

Community Member justfortheforums's Avatar

Not sure about any official word but good for turbine it's about time they brought the hammer down
    Towahn, Tassill, Taylene, Takarra, Teroh, Trevil, and Malket
    On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

I don't disagree. From my understanding the last time there was this sort of exploit it was far less widespread and those returning from the ban got to keep their stuff. Now I don't know any of them so it's all hearsay but if that is true I can only imagine the hue and cry that will come from them when they get caught doing it a second time and there is a real cost involved.

I don't expect it's a snowy side of Korthos thing as Turbine needs to weigh the cost of losing the customer (which I suspect would happen if they did that) vs. the potential cost of keeping them. It's bound to be a beast of a line to walk but I imagine we will start finding out in 13 or so days when they start their OMG postings.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post

What does that mean exactly? Do they risk losing items gained legitimately. Can you imagine losing an eSoS because you duped a couple thousand Prayer Beads? Not that I am passing judgement or crying alarm though, it's more of a "WOW can you imagine" reaction at this point.

It's got me curious and to be honest I wonder if that means some of these dupers aren't going to come back and find themselves standing on the snowy side of Korthos in Rags again?

First, it is their sandbox. They can do whatever they want. We just rent time to play in the sand.

Second, if you did something that you KNOW is going to make the DDO overlords mad, you’d best expect that they aren’t going to adding a bunch of astral shards to your inventory because they think you are a swell guy.

While I argue that the responsibility for the exploit is Turbine’s and Turbine’s alone, that comes secondary to the prime rule that DDO is their sandbox…

Pretty sure that's as official a word as we're likely to see. Which, I may add, is a lot more forthcoming then they've been about punishment type things then they've ever been. At least in terms of forum communicated official words.

However, I'm sure we'll find out exactly what was meant by it when our lill' vacationers get back from Ban Camp and start posting about their missing items in loud and indignant tones.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

I don't disagree. From my understanding the last time there was this sort of exploit it was far less widespread and those returning from the ban got to keep their stuff. Now I don't know any of them so it's all hearsay but if that is true I can only imagine the hue and cry that will come from them when they get caught doing it a second time and there is a real cost involved.

I don't expect it's a snowy side of Korthos thing as Turbine needs to weigh the cost of losing the customer (which I suspect would happen if they did that) vs. the potential cost of keeping them. It's bound to be a beast of a line to walk but I imagine we will start finding out in 13 or so days when they start their OMG postings.
    I'm stocking up on my popcorn, and on my Aleve to help with the pain of all the side splitting laughter I'm going to be experiencing.

2014 DDO Players Council

Removing duped items seems pretty obvious. If they remove anything other than duped items, they might as well just perma-ban, because that player's not coming back anyway, I'd guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Pretty sure that's as official a word as we're likely to see. Which, I may add, is a lot more forthcoming then they've been about punishment type things then they've ever been. At least in terms of forum communicated official words.

However, I'm sure we'll find out exactly what was meant by it when our lill' vacationers get back from Ban Camp and start posting about their missing items in loud and indignant tones.
    Got to agree with you there. I am honestly not sure why they are so tight lipped about such things but it is their prerogative.

I do know that in many places I have worked there are clear rules for transgressions with clear punishments. Generally these things scale to a point of a "permaban".

Others have been a lot more "at the GM's discretion". Personally these I didn't like at all, whilst they could be more "fair" sometimes there were often times when you caught it from someone who was having a bad day and it was overboard.

I suspect that Turbine is using a mix of both (as most good companies do) and has given that instruction to their GM's. I am not sure what the harm would be in sharing that with the population. If people knew what crossing the line could cost you they are likely to be a LOT more careful about crossing that line.

They could honestly head off a lot of these problems with clear rules. This time around the cat got out of the bag so to speak and you had a LOT of casual dupers. I would think that many of them would not have bothered trying it if they had been aware that something more serious than a temp ban or a loss of the duplicated items was on the line.

The "extreme prejudice" part lends itself to thinking that when they get back they are going to have lost more than they gained, and given it's "Extreme" it is likely a LOT more than they gained. Had this been known (and don't look to the EULA or TOS it's covered but incredibly vague as all such documents are) that this was on the line I bet Turbine could have had a lot less of an issue with the exploit.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

That means you can get in trouble for attempt to:
    -revive closed thread
    -discuss disciplinary actions
    -create millionth thread about the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Default On a related note...

I'm also wondering about duped items in the inventories of nondupers. Especially early on, and even mid-scandal for those who don't frequent the forums, many players probably acquired duped items in good faith through purchase and trade.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    I'm also wondering about duped items in the inventories of nondupers. Especially early on, and even mid-scandal for those who don't frequent the forums, many players probably acquired duped items in good faith through purchase and trade.
    I'm expecting a great many instances of hilarious unintended consequences.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    This.

Right about the time the forums die down a bit from all the expliotapalooza, an entire new wave of threads will hit about how people had specific quantities of legit items as well as large quantities of duped items, and all were removed. Redenbacher is at an all time high right now, do I wait for it and hope it gains more points, or sell now?

I certainly wouldn't be upset if the cheaters also lost stuff they gained through legitimate questing.

It wouldn't be unreasonable, in my opinion, if anyone who cheats loses their entire inventory, all of their characters lose all XP (including past lives and ED's), and they have to start the game all over again.

If you think that's unfair, then just don't cheat. Not cheating is really, really easy.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jarladdin Nalfesne, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Sole member of Guinness Knights (Level 105)

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    This.

Right about the time the forums die down a bit from all the expliotapalooza, an entire new wave of threads will hit about how people had specific quantities of legit items as well as large quantities of duped items, and all were removed. Redenbacher is at an all time high right now, do I wait for it and hope it gains more points, or sell now?
    oh, u forgot about honest people having their quantities from fair trades from ah
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    As far as Gauthaag goes, don't let him get you riled up. This is what he does. Constantly.

What does that mean exactly?
    Exactly: no gain, no pain

PS: you know what it means, a better question would be, why do you ask what you already know?
    Under and behind and inside everything this man took for granted, something horrible had been growing.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    I certainly wouldn't be upset if the cheaters also lost stuff they gained through legitimate questing.

It wouldn't be unreasonable, in my opinion, if anyone who cheats loses their entire inventory, all of their characters lose all XP (including past lives and ED's), and they have to start the game all over again.

If you think that's unfair, then just don't cheat. Not cheating is really, really easy.
    Why not delete their accounts right away?
    And then close servers, as there is noone left to pay bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    This.

Buy BUy BUY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Why not delete their accounts right away?
    And then close servers, as there is noone left to pay bills.
    Why delete their accounts? If they want to keep playing without cheating, let them keep playing. Just let everyone know that if they cheat, they will have to deal with the consequences.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jarladdin Nalfesne, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Sole member of Guinness Knights (Level 105)

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Buy BUy BUY!!!

Is it on sale, my local grocer is out, I guess from people stocking up for the "Return of the Exploiters" event.

i guess it means if you stock of things that are possibly duped, they are likely to be removed from your inventory.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast