Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alvarego View Post
    Exactly: no gain, no pain

PS: you know what it means, a better question would be, why do you ask what you already know?
    I don't know what it means, and that is what has got my curiosity piqued and that is why I ask.

Does it mean all dupes gone?
    Does it mean anything in bags gone?
    Does it mean anything potentially purchased with plat / Astral Shards that might have been gained from dupes gone?
    Does it mean the toon that duped only or all toons?
    Heck does it mean everything gone and all your toons are left in rags?

Considering the hearsay is that Turbine did nothing really last time to the actual items it begs the question how far are they going this time? Considering the wording of "Extreme Prejudice" it sounds like they might be going pretty much the polar opposite of last time.

I guess I am wondering just how far Turbine is willing to go, what line they are willing to walk now given that there must be something at their end that has changed as far as their thinking.

Personally I am going to get a bowl of extra butter Kettle Corn for the posts that come in 2 weeks from now, I just need to know if 1 bucket's going to cut it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Why not delete their accounts right away?
    And then close servers, as there is noone left to pay bills.
    How much are exploiters really paying? They look for ways to circumvent having to pay or play to get what they want. Less exploiters makes for a healthier gaming atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by burningwind View Post
    i guess it means if you stock of things that are possibly duped, they are likely to be removed from your inventory.
    That's the other side of the coin. What if you legitimately had says 20,000 motes or actually had a stack of 100 FRDS ... what happens then?

What if I have hundreds or thousands of crafting essences legitimately? Is that player at risk of having it taken away because it "might" have come from a dupe exploit? I seriously doubt it but in a vacuum of information you have to expect there to be rampant speculation.

If Turbine just came out and laid it all on the line at least the talk would revolve around if it was "harsh enough" or "too Harsh" rather than wild speculation.

AND I would know exactly how much popcorn to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    That's the other side of the coin. What if you legitimately had says 20,000 motes or actually had a stack of 100 FRDS ... what happens then?

What if I have hundreds or thousands of crafting essences legitimately? Is that player at risk of having it taken away because it "might" have come from a dupe exploit? I seriously doubt it but in a vacuum of information you have to expect there to be rampant speculation.

If Turbine just came out and laid it all on the line at least the talk would revolve around if it was "harsh enough" or "too Harsh" rather than wild speculation.

AND I would know exactly how much popcorn to buy!
    well from the bugs, it seem everything can goes into bag can be result of duping.. so... good luck is all i can say.. phew good thing am so broke couldn't afford any of these scale =P

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    How much are exploiters really paying? They look for ways to circumvent having to pay or play to get what they want. Less exploiters makes for a healthier gaming atmosphere.
    well if scuttlebutt on some of the chat channels are to be believed many of the exploiters are long time members. Now I am sure the "smart" ones made FTP accounts and duped there but I also expect that Turbine can track that.

If the "exploiters" are to include those who read it on the advice channel and tried it then it could become a very barren gaming atmosphere. Seriously if even 10% tried it who could have read it then you are talking hundreds of accounts and thousands of toons.

I'd actually venture to say the opposite. People who cheat to get ahead are also exactly the kind of people who would spend the most on trying to pay-to-win.

In terms of game-play, pay-to-win is legalized "cheating" endorsed by the developers. You pay them real money, you gain advantages that expedite your grind considerably (such as 50% exp potions and spending several thousand shards to gear up for EE without running anything).
    Last edited by djl; 10-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.

hmmm, while at it what about stripping all using ED exploit of all XP...seems like same kind of justice, heh

I'm not reading too much into it.

Unless you're like, a CIA director or something, how often do you get to say, "...with EXTREME PREJUDICE" in context?

It's a cool-sounding phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    I'd actually venture to say the opposite. People who cheat to get ahead are also exactly the kind of people who would spend the most on trying to pay-to-win.
    There is some logic to that line of reasoning too.

It begs the question, does the severity of the punishment vary depending on the "value" of the exploiter or are all exploiters (FTP, Premium and VIP) treated the same regardless of the amount of money they have spent.

I would hope that is the case, but I could easily see the value mattering.

well if scuttlebutt on some of the chat channels are to be believed many of the exploiters are long time members. Now I am sure the "smart" ones made FTP accounts and duped there but I also expect that Turbine can track that.

If the "exploiters" are to include those who read it on the advice channel and tried it then it could become a very barren gaming atmosphere. Seriously if even 10% tried it who could have read it then you are talking hundreds of accounts and thousands of toons.
    Decreasing population wasn't caused by bans though. Turbine may or may not afford to lose accounts, but Turbine needs to act quickly so bans would be far less and less known. Plenty of other issues with end game, grind, loot and other stuff is what's really to be blamed for decreasing population.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthaag View Post
    hmmm, while at it what about stripping all using ED exploit of all XP...seems like same kind of justice, heh
    sounds good to me
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

i used intentionally the most absurd option just to show how absurd generalizing per se is. Lot of experts are showing these days here, one better expert than the other one, making statements based on nothing more than just their own speculations and proclaiming it the One truth

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Removing duped items seems pretty obvious. If they remove anything other than duped items, they might as well just perma-ban, because that player's not coming back anyway, I'd guess.
    Well, what if a single item is a combination of legitimate and dups?

Because there were no punishments of consequence during the last go-round of serious exploit -- a 3-day ban and keep all your stuff -- I was seriously tempted to jump on the exploiting bandwagon this time. What I figured was dup my cleric's stack of 7 heroic commendations into however many I'd need to fully upgrade his gauntlets of immortality, halcyon boots, idol of fortune and stormreaver's tablecloth. (The first 3 were pulled on EH, the tablecloth on EN, none upgraded beyond their original tier so far.)

I didn't end up doing the exploit at all because my cleric is both my favorite character and my best geared character, both by far, and if there was any chance of losing him or his gear I might lose the desire to play at all. Better safe than sorry, right? Imagine I did dup my commendations and upgraded all four raid items. "With extreme prejudice" could easily mean remove all the exploit-upgraded gear entirely despite having pulled the base items legitimately.

What I'd really like to see is account rollback for the exploiters. They can obviously identify who did what dup when. For any account that did more than one suspicious dup, roll back their entire account to the most recent backup prior to their first dup. This probably isn't feasible, but would be the most defensible, I think.

(I have no moral qualms about cheating the game because I feel the game cheated me during the challenge xp nerf. That ended my goodwill, and the "fix" to challenge xp cemented that my goodwill is gone forever.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    (I have no moral qualms about cheating the game because I feel the game cheated me during the challenge xp nerf. That ended my goodwill, and the "fix" to challenge xp cemented that my goodwill is gone forever.)
    I just lost all respect for you as a player. Also, considering you are basically saying you might cheat in the future, how about a preemptive ban?

Quote Originally Posted by erbgorK View Post
    I just lost all respect for you as a player.
    Exactly how I felt about Turbine from the challenge xp nerf.

Upon further pondering and reading some of Tolero's earlier comments in couple threads...
    I don't know what it means, and that is what has got my curiosity piqued and that is why I ask.
    First, since they said they're reviewing logs to see who duped what, I'm pretty sure those with legitimately acquired large quantities will be safe. Also likely to be safe are those who innocently duped (for example) by trying to pull out only what ings they needed for a specific crafting project.

Second, I'm very sure that since they're manually reviewing the cases (Tolero specifically mentioned wanting to avoid the Mabar fiasco) instead of auto-scripting it, innocent parties should remain unscathed.

Third, I'm certain that when they return from Ban Camp dupetastic quantities of popcorn will be required.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Third, I'm certain that when they return from Ban Camp dupetastic quantities of popcorn will be required.
    i thought game bans were separate from forums. no?

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    I'm not reading too much into it.

Unless you're like, a CIA director or something, how often do you get to say, "...with EXTREME PREJUDICE" in context?

It's a cool-sounding phrase.
    "ban-from-video-game with extreme prejudice" is not quite as cool as "TERMINATE with extreme prejudice", but yeah, Stark, you are right
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

i thought game bans were separate from forums. no?
    Honestly not sure how that'll work. My actual game account got a perm forum ban when I changed my name to (something deemed offensive) during the Great Downgrade, but still play on it. As for a game ban effecting forum access... Maybe? Either way, the effected won't know how upset to be until they can log in and see what's gone.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

In-game bans do not affect forum posting privileges and vice versa.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast