Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    What I am going to tell you is that with my addictive personality, I would have likely gotten hooked and may have died. Nobody can say for sure, but knowing me, and knowing that my addictions are now firmly fixed on games, which is a lot safer, btw, it's extremely possible, if not likely. Yes, these programs mostly aren't worth the paper they are written on, but claiming that the drugs do less harm than the programs is, in my experience, not exactly true. By the time I finally got out of prison, over half of my long term friends were dead, and I'll grant you that that number isn't very high, but it was high enough to discourage me from ever stepping into that scene.
    I didn't say "programs" caused harm (in fact, one of my degrees is in alcohol and drug studies), I said that "prohibition" causes harm. One of the great harms it causes is the diversion of massive amounts of dollars away from treatment and other supportive "programs" that could actually help people. The prison industrial complex doesn't want you to succeed - it wants to recirculate you endlessly through the system, bro. You know that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    I am willing to bet that while many didn't dupe at all they certainly took advantage of the situation on the AS and ASAH for the cheap pricing though.

I wonder what happens there. Duper A gets caught has his inventory wiped or whatever but had sold 3 packs of say 20 FRDS. Duper B, Player C and Player D bought those items.

Sure Duper B gets caught and loses them but what about C and D. Particularly if C bought 10, had 10 already and made it into a suit of armor? Does he lose his armor, does he keep it?

Does Duper B get to keep the ones be bought? Such a slippery slope that Turbine might end up treading, I really don't envy them here. The probably should have closed down the exploit a lot sooner though.
    I guess the lesson learned here for exploiters and non-exploiters is the same. I think we can all assume there will be another exploit, not intentionally, but history is a guild. So, when there is another exploit. The exploiters were judiciously caught this time, and so they can expect to be caught again next time. So, we can all assume that they are not going to exploit on their main account next time. They will create another account and take full advantage of the exploit, and then pass all benefits to their main account and friends. Their alternate account will receive a ban and lose all exploited gear, but everyone else will be just fine, just like as in this instance. It is hard to make a case that all players did not benefit from this situation. I benefitted., I bought tons of stuff on the AH much cheaper than usual. I don't use the shard exchange really, so I don't really give a horse's arse about what happened there.

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    MMmmmmm very rare bread.
    Don't you have to *grind* the grain to get flour to make the bread?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    I duplicated items. I got banned. Boo hoo.

I had more fun during the exploit than I have had since MotU was released. Here is why:
    I will never grind out gear. It is boring, I won't do it.
    I will never spend AS on anything that costs more than single digit prices, and I will never purchase AS.
    I will never spend more than 30 seconds at the AH at a time, and never sell things on it. So the amount of plat I generally have is considerably lower than the average non-newbie player.
    I have been playing this game for three years and the first set of dragon scale armor I have ever had was from the exploit. It was fun for a little while.
    So in essence I was able to play with items that would have otherwise been essentially out of reach for me.

I play solo far, far more often than I group with others, so any improvements I have to my own character have little to no impact on anyone else's experience.
    Now that Tolero has confirmed that the items will be taken away, I am not sure I will return. I probably will just add DDO into the cycle of games I play when I am incredibly bored, like solitaire and minesweeper. I will probably go back to skyrim being my game of choice, as for me, games like it never get old.

Now here are the things that have me confused:
    -Suspend large portions of your population as you release content to lamaland. I expect a higher portion of bugged content come u20. Much Higher.
    -Suspend a significant potion of your population, then put out a +5 tome sale that will end before the minimum suspension is over. Now this would never effect me, because turbine hasn't had any of my money in over a year, but I have to wonder why they don't want all those suspended people's money. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Fair enough, at least your not crying about it...........to be honest I never took advantage of this or the other chestapalooza bug, but I would be lying to say I was never tempted, probably the most to get all those coms to even upgrade some of my stuff lol. If I did then got banned I would not make a big sob scene out of it, meh I got caught ok. I don't get those who got tempted, did it, got caught then turned around and blamed turbine for their actions? Even worse those who dared em to ban em? lol whut? Yeah I agree they have been real bad with releasing stuff even when on lama its been found to have bugs, been bad even with going after the guilty parties, getting a bunch of innocent people banned during maban, giving others a slap on the wrist if that. Ok so a bad record, but I still don't get the I OMG I exploited and they banned me!!!! *sob* its not my fault its all their fault!!!

Im not happy they have been having a lot of bugs that get exploited, im not happy people have now been tempted too much and have been hit with a ban, but jeez some need to own up to having some responsibility for their own actions.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Fair enough, at least your not crying about it...........to be honest I never took advantage of this or the other chestapalooza bug, but I would be lying to say I was never tempted, probably the most to get all those coms to even upgrade some of my stuff lol. If I did then got banned I would not make a big sob scene out of it, meh I got caught ok. I don't get those who got tempted, did it, got caught then turned around and blamed turbine for their actions? Even worse those who dared em to ban em? lol whut? Yeah I agree they have been real bad with releasing stuff even when on lama its been found to have bugs, been bad even with going after the guilty parties, getting a bunch of innocent people banned during maban, giving others a slap on the wrist if that. Ok so a bad record, but I still don't get the I OMG I exploited and they banned me!!!! *sob* its not my fault its all their fault!!!

Im not happy they have been having a lot of bugs that get exploited, im not happy people have now been tempted too much and have been hit with a ban, but jeez some need to own up to having some responsibility for their own actions.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said.

People, like me, who got suspended, knowingly choose to exploit.
    It's our own responsibility for choosing to do this.

Turbine just suffers from horrible, horrible decision making, and rather poor execution of things. It is still our own fault we got banned.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Nadalis View Post
    I guess the lesson learned here for exploiters and non-exploiters is the same. I think we can all assume there will be another exploit, not intentionally, but history is a guild. So, when there is another exploit. The exploiters were judiciously caught this time, and so they can expect to be caught again next time. So, we can all assume that they are not going to exploit on their main account next time. They will create another account and take full advantage of the exploit, and then pass all benefits to their main account and friends. Their alternate account will receive a ban and lose all exploited gear, but everyone else will be just fine, just like as in this instance. It is hard to make a case that all players did not benefit from this situation. I benefitted., I bought tons of stuff on the AH much cheaper than usual. I don't use the shard exchange really, so I don't really give a horse's arse about what happened there.
    OR turbine could start banning via IP address. Worked for NWO till they stopped punishing people for exploiting...
    Groz, Almostthere, Medicant and Harvezzt. Argo RULES!

(clip) It is still our own fault we got banned.
    Ah yea, responsibility for ones actions! Love to see it, since its so rare. Everyone is to busy pointing their finger instead of realizing that there are 3 pointing back.
    Groz, Almostthere, Medicant and Harvezzt. Argo RULES!

I duplicated items. I got banned. Boo hoo.

I had more fun during the exploit than I have had since MotU was released. Here is why:
    I will never grind out gear. It is boring, I won't do it.
    I will never spend AS on anything that costs more than single digit prices, and I will never purchase AS.
    I will never spend more than 30 seconds at the AH at a time, and never sell things on it. So the amount of plat I generally have is considerably lower than the average non-newbie player.
    I have been playing this game for three years and the first set of dragon scale armor I have ever had was from the exploit. It was fun for a little while.
    So in essence I was able to play with items that would have otherwise been essentially out of reach for me.

I play solo far, far more often than I group with others, so any improvements I have to my own character have little to no impact on anyone else's experience.
    Now that Tolero has confirmed that the items will be taken away, I am not sure I will return. I probably will just add DDO into the cycle of games I play when I am incredibly bored, like solitaire and minesweeper. I will probably go back to skyrim being my game of choice, as for me, games like it never get old.

Now here are the things that have me confused:
    -Suspend large portions of your population as you release content to lamaland. I expect a higher portion of bugged content come u20. Much Higher.
    -Suspend a significant potion of your population, then put out a +5 tome sale that will end before the minimum suspension is over. Now this would never effect me, because turbine hasn't had any of my money in over a year, but I have to wonder why they don't want all those suspended people's money. It just doesn't make much sense to me.
    mmorpg games aren't for u, they're made for grind

unless yo do like me, and avoid grinding gear, simply do quests/lvl/tr, sometimes u can get bored and run some raid to do something different (different things are always welcome)

skyrim? ty, u showed me ur concept of game is all benefit no effort, type 32423423 in the console and bam im the strongest toon in the game, 2 swings and im bored, start again

to the rest of cryers... if u do something wrong, and got caught, shut up and leave, crying "because turbine made me" or "nobody is losing" are plain dumb ways to argue, if u do something wrong, unless u're in a foreign country U'LL KNOW IT's wrong, so once u got caught, just shut up and leave
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Quote Originally Posted by 2pleasegimmie View Post
    A few simple google searches would do wonders for your education on this topic.
    True that, Interwebs never lie
    Don't congratulate mediocrity,It makes people comfortable with being Normal. (Hurtzz)
    Nameerror,Bluezz,Tankzz,Powersupply,Rezzin,Ohmzz, Critz,Skillzz,Bullzzeye,Frenzyzz,Killzz,Mishezz, Favorzz,Hurtzz,Stuntzz,Panttera,Stuntzz,Beastzz, and Sinnzz

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    mmorpg games aren't for u, they're made for grind

skyrim? ty, u showed me ur concept of game is all benefit no effort, type 32423423 in the console and bam im the strongest toon in the game, 2 swings and im bored, start again
    You know little to nothing about me. Your concept of things is not mine. I am not going to debate the merits of skyrim with you. I will say, however, that my concept of a game is fun. Sometimes fun involves no effort, and sometimes it is the most mentally and physically strenuous thing you can imagine, but either way, who the **** is anyone else to judge what I find fun?

You are right about one thing though, most mmorpgs are not for me. I don't play most of them. I play DDO. I can play DDO as much as I want (well when I'm not suspended anyway) without grinding too. I own all the ebberon content that I enjoy and I can run any of the quests that I like when and how I want. What I don't do is play DDO to grind, and guess what... I don't have to.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0AcmE View Post

I wonder, did the Devs ever wonder why 80% (educated guess) or more of entire server populations were taking advantage of the latest server exploit or do they just believe that most of their client base are "evil" cheaters out ruin the world?
    Made up statistics are made up.
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thud View Post
    OR turbine could start banning via IP address. Worked for NWO till they stopped punishing people for exploiting...
    Dude ip address banning is stupid, most people have a randomly assigned address for one so unless you want to ban a geographic area, 2 even if you have a static one it's pretty easy to spoof a different one.

Ban MAC ID.

Quote Originally Posted by psi0nix View Post
    Ban MAC ID.
    so easily spoofed it's not worth mentioning, it'd be worthless work because there would be no point to it.

Quote Originally Posted by psi0nix View Post
    Ban MAC ID.
    Might work better for many that is for sure simply because they don't want to take the time to learn or even know it's possible. That said, in all honesty, a little know how and that can easily be spoofed as well, in fact it's actually easier than spoofing your IP to be honest.

Realistically MAC filtering is about the weakest possible security measure, unless you filter ALL and use a whitelist. This is COMPLETELY unfeasible for Turbine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Feithlin View Post
    There's nowhere near 80% of the population who took advantage of the exploit (unless I'm a very rare bread, which I doubt). I would guess more 5% at best, most probably less.
    I'm not sure about the percentage, but, considering how the banks and AHs were these previous days, I would have to estimate more than your 5%.

Roberin (TR1 H-Elf Mnk8/Ftr12) - Lawnmoweird (TR4 Hum Mnk 20*) - Brokarg (TR1 Human 16brd/2ftr/2rog) - Lawnmowerman (TR1 H-Elf Mnk2/Ftr18*) Aibhilin (TR1 Human Wiz PM20) Lawnmowiper (WF Art 20) - Selanin (Drow 2mnk/12pal/6ftr) Elissea (H-Elf Rog 20*) * In progress

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by thisgamesull View Post
    True that, Interwebs never lie
    People with even minimal amounts of education and native intelligence know how to source reputable material. If you cant figure out what is a peer-reviewed study, and what is "wikipedia" quality, then sign up for community college. Hell, even wiki pages have proper cites at the bottom most of the time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    There's also the recipe where bread is a component of PB&J rations. (See also: Store item of convenience, the squeezable jelly bottle.)

That's just... *facepalm-of-acceptance* ... ingenious. Bypass anything short of a perma-ban. Heh.
    http://www.sogoodblog.com/wp-content...er-grape-2.jpg

Now if this was available in squeezy form. Think of the time and energy you'll save without having to use a knife to spread it about like some sort of mentally impaired Kobold.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2pleasegimmie View Post
    The horrible analogies on this forum just keep on coming.

You DO realize that it's a fact that the drug war nonsense you're spouting there was initiatiated for the purposes of controling the darker races, eroding civil liberties, and to permit policing for profit? The tremendous waste of taxpayer dollars on this rathole of a policy, and harms associated with prohibition (inclusive of the prison industrial complex, industry capture of all levels of government, and corruption generally - not to mention destroying and disenfranchising millions of families) are also far and away much worse than anything caused by the drugs themselves.

A few simple google searches would do wonders for your education on this topic.
    Rules are rules. Cry all you want.

Those that break the rules get punished. If you can't do the time then don't do the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Airgeadlam View Post
    I'm not sure about the percentage, but, considering how the banks and AHs were these previous days, I would have to estimate more than your 5%.
    I would have guessed around 30% to 50% of the player base used it directly, or took advantage of it indirectly.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast