Default Epic Cruel Nobility -- why would anyone bother?

Upgrading Cruel Nobility to Epic Cruel Nobility gives you an unparalelled eladrin-killer. My question is -- why bother? The only eladrin enemies in DDO are in "Running with Devils" and the Lanter Archon in Kobold Island. Epic Cruel Nobility is ML 20; level twenties rarely "Run with the Devils" and when they do, they can handle eladrin without a dedicated weapon. So this is just to kill Lanter Archon in Epic Short Cuts?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Epic [almost anything] -- why would anyone bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Is that a serious question? Epic Elyd Edge is just about the most useful thing a level 20+ bard can have. Plain Elyd Edge is completely obsolete by level 10 or 12. Same with most pre-Update 13 epics. Update 13 epics are different because base items are already pretty powerful, and epic-ifying them does not make much difference. I would never epic-ify Bow of Silver Flame -- damage improvement is marginal, and it becomes BtC. Epic Golden Guile -- sure. But Cruel Nobility is about the narrowest[1] niche item in the game, and making it epic narrows it even more.

[1]Narrowest niche named item. Anything with Destroyer suffix takes the cake.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

whatever.....
    "Implosion: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Upgrading Cruel Nobility to Epic Cruel Nobility gives you an unparalelled eladrin-killer. My question is -- why bother? The only eladrin enemies in DDO are in "Running with Devils" and the Lanter Archon in Kobold Island. Epic Cruel Nobility is ML 20; level twenties rarely "Run with the Devils" and when they do, they can handle eladrin without a dedicated weapon. So this is just to kill Lanter Archon in Epic Short Cuts?
    To get payback on the whiny archon ?

Amen

Sure some of them have useful abilities (Torc, Ring of Spell Storing) but nothing that is an absolute must, especially considering how much of a pain in the arse they are to get.

I think I have one stashed away somewhere in case we ever get trophy cases, but unlikely I will ever use it. The -1 level for unholy is also a buzz-kill for me.
    I just assume that some of the named loot is either outdated or too specific to be of any real use - or only useful for certain level ranges. Named loot seems to lose it's luster as the game ages.

I agree that many "Epic" named items created prior to the U14 changes (Epic level difficulties and Epic gear from these areas) haven't been updated and, thus, are mostly less powerful than U14 gear.

I was just running through "Running with the Devils" when I reminded people of what we encounter there and why this quest and "Wrath of the Flame" can be unexpectedly harder than expected for the unprepared.

Both the Eladrin and the Silver Flame in these quests are Good aligned. Your Holy and Pure Good weaponry used on the majority of enemies in the game won't do diddly to them.

That's where weapons like Cruel Nobility are helpful since they break Good DR. Likewise, one of the more recent weapons with Aligned property work great, too. Of course, the Eladrin can get nailed with Banishers and Outsider bane stuff, too.

I've never been a fan of the old Epic shard/seal/scroll stuff as it drops too infrequently and, as noted in the thread, it's tired results in comparison to the New Epic.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Against Chaotic good in PVP???? Just sayin.

Well, I made an Elf Monk because I wanted to make an Elf Monk. I'm having fun getting her leveled up, running with a friend on our TR's.

Oh my... I just remembered. Fun is soooo 90's.
    There is no free lunch.