Community Member

Default +5 Tomes in the store but no upgrades - what kind of message does this send out?

I see quite often on these forums people stating that Turbine are ripping us off and I largely disagreed with those statements. Turbine are a for-profit company and it's their job to make money. However, there are ways and means of making money and the exclusion of +4 to +5 upgrade tomes means that, having already paid 4495 for a +4 supreme stat tome I am now being asked to pay a further 4795 TP (approximately £20 at discounted rates or £30 at non-discounted rates) to bring all of my stats to +5.

This is, of course, on the top of my VIP subscription.

I could quite easily at this point join the camp of people who believe Turbine are ripping us off. I think I need a cheaper hobby, like cocaine or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Loholt-UK View Post
    I see quite often on these forums people stating that Turbine are ripping us off and I largely disagreed with those statements. Turbine are a for-profit company and it's their job to make money. However, there are ways and means of making money and the exclusion of +4 to +5 upgrade tomes means that, having already paid 4495 for a +4 supreme stat tome I am now being asked to pay a further 4795 TP (approximately £20 at discounted rates or £30 at non-discounted rates) to bring all of my stats to +5.

I could quite easily at this point join the camp of people who believe Turbine are ripping us off. I think I need a cheaper hobby, like cocaine or something.
    I was surprised by this too. They have to know that a lot of people will already have a +4 in their most critical stat. Was there +4 to +5 upgrades included the last time +5's were available on the market?

I would agree with you......IF needing to purchase that +5 tome was an actual requirement. It is not. There is no one holding a gun to your head and forcing your hand. It is completely optional. Don't want to spend the money? Well, don't! Easy!
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

It's fully possible that they simply missed turning that on. It wouldn't be the first time.

I have enough will power to resist buying a +5 to upgrade my +4. And it's going to be their loss. But if they manage to fleece some rubes, well good for them I guess.

So lets hope it's an oversight.

Community Member

Well it sends the message that they don't want me to buy +5 Tomes at the moment.

[...]
    Dear OP, if you see the +4 to +5 supreme upgrade tomes missing, wouldn't it be better you contact QuarterMasterQX or the DDO sales team about the missing tomes instead of complaining on the forums?

QX might not be reading this exact thread.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

an xtra 1 or 2 pts on an Ability stat....for how much?(surely spending 5k pts ,for 1 pt of damage is worth it ,NOT) yea, i dont buy tomes from store and never will.Its D&D ! Tomes should drop in dungeons loot. This reminds me of ship buffers,who think they need a lvl100 airship buff to adventure....sheeesh
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

Community Member

Actually:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...94#post5129894

Seems to have been an oversight.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    I would agree with you......IF needing to purchase that +5 tome was an actual requirement. It is not. There is no one holding a gun to your head and forcing your hand. It is completely optional. Don't want to spend the money? Well, don't! Easy!
    Well I do want to spend the money, I just want a discount as I've already spent a lot of money. Is that unreasonable?

It seems that Turbine want people who pay to pay more and more (and more) ad infinitum. If you're happy having a sub-standard toon then that's your lookout, I have paid quite a lot (and spent countless hours TRing) to have the best available stats already and I'm kind of locked in. It's the obvious exploitation of this locked-in state that I object to and it's not a lot to ask for a small discount on an upgrade supreme tome rather than having to pay full price for what will essentially be a small upgrade.

When I bought the supreme +4 tome, my toon had maximum +2 on any stat so it was worth it. At present, the addition of +1 to every stat will only increase the modifier on 2 of the 6 stats. I would have happily bought a supreme upgrade tome for maybe 800 TP less than the price of the +5 supreme tome. A discount is a discount after all, but not, it seems, in this case.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pandir View Post
    Actually:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...94#post5129894

Seems to have been an oversight.
    Having searched the store again I think that it is still an oversight. Either that or the "show all items" radio button doesn't work.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    Dear OP, if you see the +4 to +5 supreme upgrade tomes missing, wouldn't it be better you contact QuarterMasterQX or the DDO sales team about the missing tomes instead of complaining on the forums?

QX might not be reading this exact thread.
    I have never heard of QuarterMasterQX so contacting them would be a miracle on my part.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post
    Its D&D !
    Although it has some aspects of D&D, races, classes, monsters, D20 etc. this is not D&D.

Community Member

Having searched the store again I think that it is still an oversight. Either that or the "show all items" radio button doesn't work.
    Well that wouldn't be the first time either.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pandir View Post
    Well that wouldn't be the first time either.
    Since you posted this the +4 to +5 upgrade has appeared in the store and at 2995 (an 1800 TP discount) I think it's fairly reasonable.

Default D&D is about adventuring for items,and having fun .....technical differences aside

Although it has some aspects of D&D, races, classes, monsters, D20 etc. this is not D&D.
    How many diff editions of D&D are really D&D anyway? basic ,advanced,1st ed,2nd how many more?,balburs gate,pool of radiance,neverwinter,all are a little different. ALL ARE D&D, just enjoy
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona