Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Adieu DDO - What's the point any more?

I grew up playing Nintendo and loving the action style of and expansive play of Metroid, Zelda and all those other great hits along the way. I gravitated to PC gaming as I aged due to the increased complexity of possible actions, but never really entered the MMO world. I had tried a brief stint of WoW during a free trial but the cookie cutter builds that are all basically the same with little only a change in the graphic for each action was boring. Also the needless hampering of speed, requirement to stand still when performing actions, limitations on jumping, etc were a bit frusterating to me. But to each his own.

Then I found DDO with, what seemed like endless customization at the time (well 20 hot bars is as close as it gets in an MMO). The content was fresh. The combat style unique. I started F2P when leveling stones were in vogue, and quickly bought a VIP subscription.

Things were great for about 2 years. I leveled 20+ toons on 2 accounts to 20. TRing was introduced and I started over adding new lives to old friends. Somewhere in the last 2 years, however, this game has become more of a job and less fun. Raiding (the primary reason to have 20+ toons leveled and flagged so that I could fill pretty much any roll in any raid) has gone the way of the Dodo. The grind for epic gear, now obsolete, was replaced with the grind for challenge mats and dragon scales. Challenge mats, now obsolete has been replaced with a grind to get an additional 6.6 million xp to cap (on top of the 4.3ish for a 3+ life TR) which has resulted in many of the toons I like getting dropped by the wayside as impossible to keep up.

I have not raided since god knows when. I run VON 3, rusted blades, and the deal and the demon on a couple toons to get my 100K xp per day, hit the daily dice for a pitiful reward more likely ending up in a <15 roll than seems possible in a random distribution, and mourn over the lack of LFMs for anything fun.

Now the "easter egg" of last week has pretty much made 4 years of grinding obsolete. My mark is hit. I have gone from a "semi-have" to a "have not" in the space of a week and I find myself just not caring.

The epic TR impending changes hold nothing but trepidation as I look at a 10M+ xp grind for each new life when the only real content I run is boiled down to quests I can count on one hand. Sure that is my choice. I could run other quests, but they are the same stuff I have seen before, either ridiculously easy rote memorization runs (EN), annoying-random-DW'ed-mobs-making-me-dot runs (EH) or not-going-to-survive-a-second-encounter (EE) content I have seen before and don't really get anything different from running.

SO the final button has been pressed. A buggy, nerfed, overpowered, could-be-great game has been ruined by lack of QA, rushed releases, and a vocal minority of forum users who are PO'd because a wizard/sorc can keep up with their kill count (ahem .. sounds exactly like "shade").

I go searching for something other to put my time/money/energy into.

And no you can't "has" my stuff because it is a pittance now and I learned long ago that premium is a better choice than VIP in the long run. Plus if raids every do make a comeback, or Turbine develops a brain for how to retain business I may want to peek back in. (Here's to hoping hell freezes over )

Peace.
    Throw away account for forum use only. I will let you guess who my in-game persona is.

Who does your taxes?

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Isn't the point of every MMO to jump on an neverending hamster wheel?

There is never a point except to have fun. If it isn't fun, then you are right it is time to find something else.

Community Member

Some people focus too much on the game itself. No game is ever gonna be perfect for everyone.

An MMO is supposed to be a multiplayer experience. Make some friends, help some newbies out. Make a guild.

I swear, I end up in so many groups that leave people behind when they die, and I've gotta be the guy that runs back to find them. So many just care about loot and xp. It's ultimately worthless.

The grind itself can be fun, leveling up tickles the reward center of your brain, but there's more to the game than the grind when you're online.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Cheers
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````````
    MuleAxe | Occidere| MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

M O N A R C H
    of Thelanis

Yeah I'm having a hard time justifying how much time I'm putting into playing this game at this point. Sure, you can grind out some past lives, but why? To TR again? And then what? There's no point to this game and as far as the release schedule looks, I don't see a point happening anytime in the near future. Just more options to grind out minor power increases for the sake of it. It's not like there's an end-game to use your suped up toon in.

Problem is, pretty much every other MMO out there is just boring as hell with their cookie cutter classes. Oh well.

Sounds like you were bored a long time ago. The recent events haven't made anything "obsolete" in my eyes.
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

Try Eve Online

Quote Originally Posted by ForumFrenzy View Post
    not-going-to-survive-a-second-encounter (EE) content
    Pick your best self healing, geared up toon and step into an older/evening star epic elite solo. See if you can take out the first mob. Trip, stun, slow, neg level on melees, ice storm + cloud on casters. Your post is well worded and shows that you do value the considerable time you've spent here, but have become stuck in a rut. Challenge yourself. People make and post great videos of their builds and achievements on these forums and arrive at that point by doing things on their own.

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by ForumFrenzy View Post
    Now the "easter egg" of last week has pretty much made 4 years of grinding obsolete. My mark is hit. I have gone from a "semi-have" to a "have not" in the space of a week and I find myself just not caring.
    This is pretty typical of MMOs. I remember playing World of Warcraft, getting to level cap, having an expansion come out and feeling like everything I had acquired previous to the expansion was little more than vendor trash. Though that never truly stopped me from enjoying WoW. I only left because my friends left and it will remain the same with DDO. Platinum and gear were never the "have" aspect of the game. Rather game knowledge and skill acquired along the way are the true "have".
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

The latest fad made a bunch of stuff as absolute as the last couple updates made my bags and bags of epic parts and pieces. Games change.

I hate quitters. Suck it up and have some fun, dernit!

ps... I don't want your stuff. It is obsolete now.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelair View Post
    I swear, I end up in so many groups that leave people behind when they die, and I've gotta be the guy that runs back to find them. So many just care about loot and xp. It's ultimately worthless.
    zergers don't have time for soul stones. you already cost them a 10% bonus. your punishment is to sit in the corner until someone feels like ressing you or carrying your stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    Yeah I'm having a hard time justifying how much time I'm putting into playing this game at this point. Sure, you can grind out some past lives, but why? To TR again? And then what? There's no point to this game and as far as the release schedule looks, I don't see a point happening anytime in the near future. Just more options to grind out minor power increases for the sake of it. It's not like there's an end-game to use your suped up toon in.

Problem is, pretty much every other MMO out there is just boring as hell with their cookie cutter classes. Oh well.
    yeah there is certainly a lack of endgame right now. im thinking they are holding off to start developing some kind of endgame when cap is 30, xp curve adjusted and ER goes live. i think without giving us something more to do besides ED grind, TR and a couple raids is really going to hurt them. TRing and the hope of a couple significant game changes coming up i think is what some people are doing to bide their time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post

I remember being very upset with my first MMO (Everquest) because it was not able to keep me interested for as long as I felt it should have. It took me many MMO's to realize that no MMO lasts forever. We will always get tired of them and then it is time to leave. If you refrain from making lifelong friends in MMO's then leaving will be much easier (I see so many people that should have left games long ago say they stick around just because of the people they met which probably doesn't really make them happy and definitely doesn't help them have fun during their game-playing free time). Once you realize that MMO's are just like long, extra-grindy single-player games (meaning that they were not meant to be played forever) they become more enjoyable. You realize that you will not be around forever and you don't fall for many of the more pointless hamster wheels (like end-game raiding for gear that you know will be obsolete in a few months). You play the game for as long as you enjoy it and then you find another game. These days there are so many MMO's being released you should always be able to find a new one (and not have to ever come crawling back to a game that was so disappointing you left it in the first place).
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

It doesn't appear to have been said yet, so I guess I'll do it:

I can haz your stuff?

Community Member

I like the DDO Development Philosophy.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

The best quests are not "end-game".

While leveling all those toons in only 2 years, with XP stones, did you do any quests that were "bad" xp/min?

Those are the good quests, the ones with challenges.

The TR train has no windows, so it's easy to feel like it's more work than play.

Stop grinding and just play.

Max your favor on a character, then tell me there is nothing to do, and there are no challenges.

Don't future-trip. For all you know, this latest exploit might actually help you by letting you get items cheaper or faster.

Can I dup your stuff before you pass it to phaeton?

MMO's (I have played Many over the years) are now all the same. You first view them with the eyes of a child at Christmas. The bugs are tolerable at first. Then you realize how much time you have invested in them and start feeling angry when they go corporate and feed the kiddiots whos parents use the credit card as a baby sitter. Once your favorite toon gets hit with the nerf bat and you finally pull the splinters from the back of your skull you realize the ENTIRE time you have played has been like trying to rub one out thru a cement condom.

Its at that moment you decide if you leave all the friends you have made and kiss the wasted hours of your life good bye to start all over in a new but not new story that promises you everything you ever wanted in a game..

Bottom line is the video gaming industry is swirling round the bowl now that creativity has been sacrificed to the F2P gods of corporate suck.
    Why after every update to the games I play do I constantly have to pick more pieces of the nerf bat from the back of my skull. Abolish corporate involvement in gaming now.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Try rift, they got (for an MMO) non cookie cutter builds, big and complex endgame dungeons, etc.

I personally can't stand cartoonish graphics, what's why I can't play it :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast