Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
  1. #1
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default What are you putting your Voice/Mantle augment on (heroic)

    I'm thinking ring - debating on using one with just a colorless, or with colorless/yellow.

    My head was on Feather Fall / Persuasion - that's one of my favorite utility rings and an easy swap. I can make this work at ML5 on a single slot ring, but it'd be higher on a yellow/colorless blank (the dual slots bumps it to +3).

    ML9: Feather Fall, Persuasion, Master's Gift, Underwater Action
    ML5: Feather Fall, Persuasion, Master's Gift

    Even though I have the dual-blank, I'm leaning towards the ML5 version.

    Thoughts? Any better ideas?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  2. #2
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I'm thinking ring - debating on using one with just a colorless, or with colorless/yellow.

    My head was on Feather Fall / Persuasion - that's one of my favorite utility rings and an easy swap. I can make this work at ML5 on a single slot ring, but it'd be higher on a yellow/colorless blank (the dual slots bumps it to +3).

    ML9: Feather Fall, Persuasion, Master's Gift, Underwater Action
    ML5: Feather Fall, Persuasion, Master's Gift

    Even though I have the dual-blank, I'm leaning towards the ML5 version.

    Thoughts? Any better ideas?
    Honestly I haven't made one into an augment and probably never will. I don't understand why you'd want to as it's very easy to just swap the voice in right before completion. It seem like an odd thing to do especially with how much threnal sucks to run.

  3. #3
    Founder & Hero cdbd3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Escaping Mizzery in the Tavern Attic.
    Posts
    22,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Honestly I haven't made one into an augment and probably never will. I don't understand why you'd want to as it's very easy to just swap the voice in right before completion. It seem like an odd thing to do especially with how much threnal sucks to run.
    Swapping often results in forgetting to swap in til just after the XP award.




    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    ...

    ML9: Feather Fall, Persuasion, Master's Gift, Underwater Action
    ML5: Feather Fall, Persuasion, Master's Gift

    Even though I have the dual-blank, I'm leaning towards the ML5 version.

    Thoughts? Any better ideas?

    Given most folks don't seem to hang around the 5-9 levels very long, I'd prolly suggest the 9.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 10-01-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual


  4. #4

    Default

    My fighter, who is doing multiple heroic lives with 3-4 destinies to level 4 each life:

    1-7: (crafted) belt of Fortification with/Gift (Light fort: ML1, Moderate fort: ML5)
    8-19: Nightforge plate w/Heavy fort & gift
    20+: Epic Antique Greataxe (Gift in colorless, devotion in red)

    Yes, he farmed up three of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Honestly I haven't made one into an augment and probably never will. I don't understand why you'd want to as it's very easy to just swap the voice in right before completion. It seem like an odd thing to do especially with how much threnal sucks to run.
    It's also very easy to make the augment, and threnal is meh to run. Last time I ran it for an augment was on my epic wizard. Most of the quests took a handful of minutes, except the escort quests were a little longer.

    Defending Coyle was the easiest of all. Here is literally what I did:

    1) Enter quest
    2) Summon level 24 FVS hireling
    3) Set hireling to active, defend Coyle
    4) Alt+Tab and surf the net for 13 minutes

    I alt-tabbed in to check somewhere around haflway but when I saw that the hire had things well in hand I went back to browsing.

  5. #5
    Community Member redspecter23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    I just put it in something I can craft around. A ring or gloves or whatever. Then I just recraft it as I level up. The augment stays in when you deconstruct it so you can level up the item with you. By the time you reach about level 10, in most cases this crafted item will be much better than a Voice or Mantle and be in whatever slot you prefer it in as well.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

  6. #6
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    My fighter, who is doing multiple heroic lives with 3-4 destinies to level 4 each life:

    1-7: (crafted) belt of Fortification with/Gift (Light fort: ML1, Moderate fort: ML5)
    8-19: Nightforge plate w/Heavy fort & gift
    20+: Epic Antique Greataxe (Gift in colorless, devotion in red)

    Yes, he farmed up three of them.

    It's also very easy to make the augment, and threnal is meh to run. Last time I ran it for an augment was on my epic wizard. Most of the quests took a handful of minutes, except the escort quests were a little longer.

    Defending Coyle was the easiest of all. Here is literally what I did:

    1) Enter quest
    2) Summon level 24 FVS hireling
    3) Set hireling to active, defend Coyle
    4) Alt+Tab and surf the net for 13 minutes

    I alt-tabbed in to check somewhere around haflway but when I saw that the hire had things well in hand I went back to browsing.
    Maybe it's just bad memories but I have the mantle on all my toons now and I can't for the life of me imagine an incentive that would get me to run it for another one at this point. Then again i always ran it at level, well as close to it as the messed up levels there allow.

  7. #7
    Community Member thegreatneil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    outside the box
    Posts
    738

    Default

    Put one in a level one ring.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

    Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

    Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Maybe it's just bad memories but I have the mantle on all my toons now and I can't for the life of me imagine an incentive that would get me to run it for another one at this point. Then again i always ran it at level, well as close to it as the messed up levels there allow.
    Just a FYI for you, copied from the wiki (It definitely works btw, done it several times):

    To do a fast-repeat of the chain simply check your journal, if it has West, East and South listed as completed, select West and abandon it. That will reset South and West but will keep you flagged for East. Once you have completed West again, speak to Sal Danek and ask "is there more to do here" and this will open the Southern Excavation set of quests again. (Can be done with East as well, but who wants to defend Coyle for 15 mins?) Do a fast Casual run for end reward. Have Fun!

  9. #9
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    Just a FYI for you, copied from the wiki (It definitely works btw, done it several times):

    To do a fast-repeat of the chain simply check your journal, if it has West, East and South listed as completed, select West and abandon it. That will reset South and West but will keep you flagged for East. Once you have completed West again, speak to Sal Danek and ask "is there more to do here" and this will open the Southern Excavation set of quests again. (Can be done with East as well, but who wants to defend Coyle for 15 mins?) Do a fast Casual run for end reward. Have Fun!
    Ok reward list with no coyle, I'm sold on that now, I just despise defending him so much.

  10. #10

    Default

    I dont get it either... So what if I occasionally forget to swap in the voice.... Losing 5% xp once in a while if far preferred to running therenal.....

    and please correct me if I'm wrong, but dont you end up losing all the other benefits of the voice and Mantle? No more +1 Luck, regen or spell absorption or True seeing?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Maybe it's just bad memories but I have the mantle on all my toons now and I can't for the life of me imagine an incentive that would get me to run it for another one at this point. Then again i always ran it at level, well as close to it as the messed up levels there allow.
    Aside from the fact that I run all content every life, meaning I run threnal at level for bravery each life, why would you need to run threnal at level if you wanted a gift of the master? Why not blast through it on casual in 20 minutes on an epic alt?

    It's similar (though granted a bit longer) to running Sharn Syndicate quests for bta lootgen if you wanted one for crafting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    I dont get it either... So what if I occasionally forget to swap in the voice.... Losing 5% xp once in a while if far preferred to running therenal.....

    and please correct me if I'm wrong, but dont you end up losing all the other benefits of the voice and Mantle? No more +1 Luck, regen or spell absorption or True seeing?
    I don't get not getting it.

    Never having to swap my trinket for xp, never missing boosting optional xp, freeing up a slot on my hotbar that no longer has to be used for voice/mantle; these are tangible benefits that give me value every single play session. Easily worth the hour I spent farming up all 3 last life.

    In fairness, I haven't used voice as a "keep it on" trinket in years and I have never once used mantle for anything. If you normally wear the master set then yeah, obviously you wouldn't need an augment. But that's a far cry from not understanding how anybody else could.

    And really, the hassle of switching to voice/mantle every quest for how many play-hours over how many lives is preferable to blasting through threnal casual on an epic alt in 20 minutes? Really?

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Ok reward list with no coyle, I'm sold on that now, I just despise defending him so much.
    You're not alone.

    He has more HP now, but on Elite at least the mobs hit him quite hard and running it at level (Something I do every life for the Favour) it can take a moment to kill the mobs. Oddly enough it's the Renders and Mephits that are the biggest worry, they really chew him up.

    I Duo it, and it's not hard, it's just boring as ****. (Note to Turbine if reading this: Making it more "Challenging" won't make it any less boring, we're still stuck in a room for fifteen minutes waiting for mobs to spawn so we can kill them so we can wait for more mobs to spawn...)

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I don't get not getting it.

    Aside from the fact that I run all content every life, meaning I run threnal at level for bravery each life, why would you need to run threnal at level if you wanted a gift of the master? Why not blast through it on casual in 20 minutes on an epic alt?
    Gift of the Master Augment is BtCoA. Nothing stopping anyone from doing it on casual when they're epic level, but you can't get one on a different character and pass it along.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    Gift of the Master Augment is BtCoA. Nothing stopping anyone from doing it on casual when they're epic level, but you can't get one on a different character and pass it along.
    Understood, but consider when my first life fighter was in epics and had just finished farming out his primary destiny to tier 4. Staring down another 3 heroic lives and 10 off destinies, farming up the 3 gifts was a no-brainer decision purely from a "quality of life" standpoint.

    Regarding passing it, the ultimate goal is to find BTA lootgen with a colorless. I've heard reports in-game that they exist, though I remain skeptical. Even still, I ransacked bookbinder's at the same time I was farming the gifts hoping for bta boots w/a colorless. ML1 FF boots w/gift I could pass around via the shared bank would be so full of win I couldn't stand it. Sadly, no joy. I remain unconvinced that bta lootgen with augment slots exits.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    I've run Threnal every life on my TR character and I generally don't have issues finding a group for it. Last couple of times it was even almost a full group. Some of the quests aren't bad for XP, and hey, nearly 100 favour per life.

    The chain reward other than the Mantle can be fantastic as well. I have gotten BtA nonnamed armour with sockets--which means I can stick the Master's Gift into the BtA armour and pass through the shared bank for use for any character at level 1. There are also BtA weapons with materials (flametouched, etc). It's too bad I've never found nonnamed BtA accessories with slots.

    But on topic: levels 1-4, I stick it on the the BtA armour as described, but generally swap in Voice for levels 5+. This will probably change once I start playing characters that can do their own energy resistances, which will free up cloak/ring slots. Probably best to slot it with something that's worn full-time, like a CON/GFL item, to ensure optional XP gets boosted.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalone View Post
    I've run Threnal every life on my TR character and I generally don't have issues finding a group for it. Last couple of times it was even almost a full group. Some of the quests aren't bad for XP, and hey, nearly 100 favour per life.

    The chain reward other than the Mantle can be fantastic as well. I have gotten BtA nonnamed armour with sockets--which means I can stick the Master's Gift into the BtA armour and pass through the shared bank for use for any character at level 1. There are also BtA weapons with materials (flametouched, etc). It's too bad I've never found nonnamed BtA accessories with slots.

    But on topic: levels 1-4, I stick it on the the BtA armour as described, but generally swap in Voice for levels 5+. This will probably change once I start playing characters that can do their own energy resistances, which will free up cloak/ring slots. Probably best to slot it with something that's worn full-time, like a CON/GFL item, to ensure optional XP gets boosted.
    no you cant. adding the augment to anything binds it to character.... permanently.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    no you cant. adding the augment to anything binds it to character.... permanently.
    Do you have any evidence for this?

    We have evidence against it: Adding bound crafting shards to anything binds it to character.... permanently. But doing that same thing to bta lootgen leaves it bta.

    There is no reason to think that gift of the master will behave differently from bound crafting shards.

    EDIT: It merits a test, at least, for sure. But even I, the guy who says it's not that bad to farm up a gift, am reluctant to waste a gift on a bta (whatever) just to test it.

    EDIT 2: What happens if you bind and attune something bta in the stone of change? Does it also stay bta? Like, say, adding force critical or damage to carnifex?

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    no you cant. adding the augment to anything binds it to character.... permanently.
    Guess I've been hallucinating the past three lives...

    Mass delusion, everyone! Hurry!
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

  19. #19
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,608

    Default

    I am also one that enjoys running the Threanal chain which I think gets a bad rap for a SINGLE quest in the whole mix. Eastern Part 2 has a good chunk of XP attached to it.

    For me I found that I was only using the Voice/Mantle for the XP bonus...

    True Seeing was covered
    Luck was covered
    Had better spell absorption item(s)
    Lesser regeneration was fun, but really not needed

    I went with a Crafted Ring w/Colorless slot. I was able to use the +5% XP far earlier than being able to equip the voice of the master or Worldshapper Cloak. This to me was the advantage. The other advantage was being able to Craft other features on the Ring as I leveled giving me more reason to wear the ring so a swap out was not necessary.

  20. #20
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Do you have any evidence for this?

    We have evidence against it: Adding bound crafting shards to anything binds it to character.... permanently. But doing that same thing to bta lootgen leaves it bta.

    There is no reason to think that gift of the master will behave differently from bound crafting shards.

    EDIT: It merits a test, at least, for sure. But even I, the guy who says it's not that bad to farm up a gift, am reluctant to waste a gift on a bta (whatever) just to test it.

    EDIT 2: What happens if you bind and attune something bta in the stone of change? Does it also stay bta? Like, say, adding force critical or damage to carnifex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalone View Post
    Guess I've been hallucinating the past three lives...

    Mass delusion, everyone! Hurry!
    I wonder if this will be declared wai or exploit. It seems to be like using the stone of change on one hand, yet seems like using a bta bag to pass btc mats in the shared bank on the other. So I'm really unsure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload