Default A confession to make

Ok, I confess. I may have used the exploit for my own benefit.
    The thing is I did it unwillingly and unknowingly.

Let me explain: the past two weeks or so I've bought things from the auction house.
    Things that I was in need of and that seem to be a reasonable price.
    Nothing stupidly cheap like a hundred large devil scales for a thousand plat or so.
    Just cheaper then usual and not uncommon to pop up every now and then on the AH.

This was all on G-Land and up to yesterday our server seemed to be fine.

But then it hit me, I started seeing things pop up on the AH that usually are not THAT cheap.

At the same time I know these things are now more common as there simply is more of it that goes around.
    So technically it should become cheaper (a supply vs demand thingy).

So no worries on my part as I did not see any warning from Turbine.

Again up to yesterday, the warning and the fix came.
    After that I logged in to check the AH and it did seem to have struck our server as well.

Now that got me worried, did I participate in an exploit scheme without me knowing or willing to do so.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

i think you'll find the punishment is for those making the duplicate items, not the players who buy them off the AH
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    i think you'll find the punishment is for those making the duplicate items, not the players who buy them off the AH
    Well, THAT was a waste of a perfectly good fear-generating opportunity.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Well, THAT was a waste of a perfectly good fear-generating opportunity.
    nahh, i save that for my friends. got one who is new to DDO and everytime i take a sharp breath over voice he gets paranoid that there is a trap ahead. for some strange reason he thinks i'm evil.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

There are still some (probably dodgy) bargains on the shard exchange on G-land. I was just considering whether it would be ethical, or even punishable, to buy them. I guess it could equate to handling stolen goods. Would like to hear from Turbine on this point if anyone there can spare the time. Can I buy stuff on the shard exchange without fear of reprisals?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loholt-UK View Post
    I guess it could equate to handling stolen goods.
    The problem with buying stolen goods is that they still belong to the original owner. If someone started hacking accounts and posting items for cheap, then yeah, don't buy them.

These are counterfeit goods, and it's no crime to buy those. Only the sellers are breaking the rules.

Default Dont beat yourself up.

Take it easy.

If your greataxe's vorpal suddenly went off with nat 20's every blow and slayed red names too, would anyone blame you if you gave it a few swings? Exploits is just a showy way bugs are noticed for what they are.

If you get whacked by the powers that be, come over and visit in Khyber.... Ill buy the beer!

furb

Quote Originally Posted by GotSomeQuestions View Post
    The problem with buying stolen goods is that they still belong to the original owner. If someone started hacking accounts and posting items for cheap, then yeah, don't buy them.

These are counterfeit goods, and it's no crime to buy those. Only the sellers are breaking the rules.
    Uhh if a girl scout was robbed of her cookies, and the pig-tailed miscreants sold you girl scout cookies....

what does the taste of the thin mint have anything to do with it? LOL!!

just kidding. or maybe if I was sold counterfeit thin mints?

HANG EM!!!!

oh yeah, and its pretty sure fine to sell them later to other person, right? or not? u can buy em, but u could only keep them, cause its conterfeit and selling countefeit items is punishable?

Community Member

And it's ok to use counterfeit money as long as you buy it from someone else right?

(No really it's not -don't do that).

But in this case, I can't believe Turbine would or in any way could punish people for buying stuff off the AH. There is simply no way to know what was in the user's head when they bought the stuff. Most people genuinely didn't know what they were doing, and there is no easy way to draw a line and say this person did this with malice, and this person was in the dark. And Turbine still needs someone left to log in to the game otherwise someone at WB is going to go "Hey what?" when they see the usage levels for the next month or two.

Community Member

I smell ban.
    Wherever you went - here you are.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dartwick View Post
    I smell ban.
    Ban has a Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/bandeodorant

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    nahh, i save that for my friends. got one who is new to DDO and everytime i take a sharp breath over voice he gets paranoid that there is a trap ahead. for some strange reason he thinks i'm evil.
    Muahahahahaha...
    There is no free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    And it's ok to use counterfeit money as long as you buy it from someone else right?

(No really it's not -don't do that).

But in this case, I can't believe Turbine would or in any way could punish people for buying stuff off the AH. There is simply no way to know what was in the user's head when they bought the stuff. Most people genuinely didn't know what they were doing, and there is no easy way to draw a line and say this person did this with malice, and this person was in the dark. And Turbine still needs someone left to log in to the game otherwise someone at WB is going to go "Hey what?" when they see the usage levels for the next month or two.
    i dont agree...do u really believe people buying stuff much lower under usual price in stack in pretty uncommon sizes in couple days before closing asah didnt know whats goin on? i doubt that...i doubt that as well as i doubt lot of people were crowding at tharask arena sometime ago

Community Member

I say punish em all buyers and sellers. track the sellers all the way back to start. Track the buyers back to when the news came out about the exploit. create list, Any toon selling should have that character perm deleted. Any toons buying after the news of exploit should also have characters that made the purchase deleted. I mean the character thier inventory their tr bank. Whole too abruptly deleted. A punishment like this will not get a huge chunk of the severs banned and emptied out. However; it will surely discourage use of exploits on ah/shard exchange in the futur. And for the crafty ones that use crappy toon or alt account in efforts to clean up trail... Well noone will buy suspect items again at risk of toon deletion. and for accounts that dup items on weaktoons i would leave to dev descretion as to weather they should just delete a high lvl toon or highest even. I think this is best solution.

This is silly and extreme all I can say

Quote Originally Posted by monkolous100 View Post
    I say punish em all buyers and sellers. track the sellers all the way back to start. Track the buyers back to when the news came out about the exploit. create list, Any toon selling should have that character perm deleted. Any toons buying after the news of exploit should also have characters that made the purchase deleted. I mean the character thier inventory their tr bank. Whole too abruptly deleted. A punishment like this will not get a huge chunk of the severs banned and emptied out. However; it will surely discourage use of exploits on ah/shard exchange in the futur. And for the crafty ones that use crappy toon or alt account in efforts to clean up trail... Well noone will buy suspect items again at risk of toon deletion. and for accounts that dup items on weaktoons i would leave to dev descretion as to weather they should just delete a high lvl toon or highest even. I think this is best solution.
    **Anamalia level 25 Cleric **
    Guild Stealer of souls

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Furbitor View Post
    Uhh if a girl scout was robbed of her cookies, and the pig-tailed miscreants sold you girl scout cookies....

what does the taste of the thin mint have anything to do with it? LOL!!

just kidding. or maybe if I was sold counterfeit thin mints?

HANG EM!!!!
    Counterfeit thin mints are rather good. I pick them up at Dollar General for half the cost of the girl scout cookies. If my nieces are selling the name brand i might buy a box or two, other than that i'm going the cheap route for my yummies.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by monkolous100 View Post
    This is easy for you to say when you do not have 5+ years and $1000 invested into several toons.

They were most likely paying customers, having to make the best of yet another bug.

This bug has surfaced many times, and vets did not exploit it until they found out through the grapevine that some noobs had let the cat out of the bag, and tried to make real money off it.

I would bet real money that MOST of the duped items will be/have been given away to friends and guildies.

Quote Originally Posted by smeggy1384 View Post
    Counterfeit thin mints are rather good. I pick them up at Dollar General for half the cost of the girl scout cookies. If my nieces are selling the name brand i might buy a box or two, other than that i'm going the cheap route for my yummies.
    +1 to you sir, may all your girl scout cookies be made with real girl scouts!!