Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    It occurs to me that the "length" of quest the xp formula uses may not be time at all, but physical distance you have to run. What other explanation for Hold for Reinforcements?

This idle thought crashes and burns on closer scrutiny: Kobold Assault and Swiped Signet have essentially the same base xp, and so do Gladewatch Outpost and Dead Girl's Spellbook.

But I can't figure out for the life of me how Hold For Reinforcements has the base XP it has if it's based in any way on a formula.
    that those who are responsible for assigning XP must not be using a standardized system

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    that those who are responsible for assigning XP must not be using a standardized system
    More to the point, it would appear that quests are indeed being "assigned" xp. That's what confuses me, since the devs seem to be saying that quest xp (and favor!) is dynamically calculated based on a formula instead of being assigned.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    Not necessarily. Quest XP should be based on the difficulty of the quest, not the length. Most of the time, these correspond with each other, but not always. In cases where they do not, quest length should not be the determining factor for XP.

But then, every single quest in the game tells me the Devs do not, nor ever have known how to assign XP to a quest.
    I have to agree with this. Using a formula for xp is a terrible idea. Each dungeon is hand-crafted and unique. You can't just put them in 5 "length" categories and determine xp off that. There should be a database table somewhere with the base xp of each quest, and they should tweak each one by hand as necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    It occurs to me that the "length" of quest the xp formula uses may not be time at all, but physical distance you have to run. What other explanation for Hold for Reinforcements?

This idle thought crashes and burns on closer scrutiny: Kobold Assault and Swiped Signet have essentially the same base xp, and so do Gladewatch Outpost and Dead Girl's Spellbook.

But I can't figure out for the life of me how Hold For Reinforcements has the base XP it has if it's based in any way on a formula.
    Yes, this is the problem... "Length" of quest really means nothing. Each dungeon is unique. Some "very long" quests are super easy (and sometimes even quick), and some "short" quests are very hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Self-Appointed Coin Lord of the Seas ForgettableNPC's Avatar
    VillageTown of GenericLand of ThatOneContinent.

Well at least Partycrashers (Omg my favorite quest of all time, which incidentially, has amusing NPC texts) can get more attention now.

Acute Delirium definitely deserves a XP boost. Frickin' Frost Beholders on Elite...And trying to keep the furniture alive.

Also, Hold for Reinforcements. It would be less annoying if Coyle was actually competent or it gave greater rewards.

I mean, even Gladewatch Outpost Defense gives more XP, and it's a quest that's 4 levels lower than it!

Where people apparently have lions walking in the streets- I reside in Khyber

Default Dont forget commendations!

If you are going to increase epic level quest XP, you have to, at the very least, scale the amount of commendations of valour received equally. Currently even the double commendation of valour event recently was too low a rate to even tickle my fancy for the epic tr system, so just make sure you (ddo dev's) dont screw up one aspect of ddo by altering another. Stil semi-inactive due to exactly this reason, relatively low epic xp and stupendously low commendation of valour rewards.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213