Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 246
  1. #201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    And there's a ton of explorer/slayer exp too in the high levels now...
    No doubt. Hundreds of thousands of XP easily acquired by the masses who aren't interested in XP/Minute.

    Heck, a first run through the Manufactury might even best 1k/minute.

    EDIT: As an example, I play quests like F2P players play challenges: most value from the fewest runs. If I run a quest once for 20k in 30 minutes I consider that a "win" compared to running it twice for 30k in 20 minutes total. It's simply how I enjoy the game.

    My one experience with a legend life was quite fun because I added "every explorer, every rare, then top off slayers' for every wilderness area in the game. That was quite poor xp/minute even by my standards, but it was super fun. Especially because it was essentially a ton of new content I'd never seen before. Who knew that Searing Heights was interesting? heh.

    On that life all told I got a hair shy of 700k xp from s/e/r during heroic levels. That took the edge off third life xp requirements, for sure.

  2. #202
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    This is how rumors start and this is how people rage on Turbine without due cause. You of all people should be trying to avoid that.

    They said it's "likely". That's far from it's a done deal and are going to do it. There's a list a mile long of things they said they were likely to do but "never got around to it" or "it was too difficult". When it's live and WORKING PROPERLY then it's a done deal.
    Well, they are still increasing xp in more quests than the ones they are "nerfing", and they are including Cannith and Amrath quests which is exactly what WE asked for...

    Hard to believe anyone can turn this into a "I'm going to take a break from the game because they are nerfing Vol" thread. That's really reaching for DOOOM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  3. #203
    Hero
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SW United States
    Posts
    2,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Well, they are still increasing xp in more quests than the ones they are "nerfing", and they are including Cannith and Amrath quests which is exactly what WE asked for...

    Hard to believe anyone can turn this into a "I'm going to take a break from the game because they are nerfing Vol" thread. That's really reaching for DOOOM.
    I agree that threatening to leave because of one quest is a bit extreme. I honestly don't think they should touch any quest XP unless they raise it. It will make the change feel more like a gift instead of a kick in the nuts and a pat on the shoulder. There's been quite a few more nut kicks than shoulder pats lately. (IMHO)

    My comment was solely directed at your statement that implied that they were 100% going to lower (I mean they won't adjust it up. I hope. But I don't think they are that ____ (filling the blank)) the XP required for tr2 & 3's. They said likely. Likely due to the fact it gives them room to back out of it. Which they've done before. So I just wanted people to know that it's still just an option, like it or not Turbine is very good at double talk. The last thing we need is rumor regarding this floating around.

    I don't consider raising a handful of quests XP "adjusting the XP curve". It's one solution to one part of the problem.

  4. #204
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    all good questions, but they will go unanswered. i get that we, as players, don't have the insight like the devs do about the inner workings of codes and business strategies. we may not realize it, but too much of a good thing is potentially bad for DDO. too much of a bad thing is dangerous for Turbine. i know some of them do play DDO, but i don't think they have the proper insight either with what the players want and need. somewhere in the middle is a big problem area for them.

    Lammania is a preview server BTW.
    Sorry, i was a bit sleepy when i had written it, it referred to my own server, it's afar emptier place then 3 months ago and even a lot emptier then pre U14, this server isn't Wayfinder as some people jokingly emailed to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    This is something that concerns me greatly: how are they benchmarking it? I mean seriously, an invisozerging monk vs kill & smash everything party, a super nuking caster vs a heavy armored pally are going to turn in very different completion times.

    Not to mention that this whole idea has me nervous. While I'm glad the low(er than they should be) xp quests are getting adjusted up, the "improvements" to loot has me... cautious... about any improvements to quest XP. Also, I remember when challenges gave "too much XP" and the resulting adjustment was ridiculous. Will they be fine-tuning with a sledgehammer again? If Vol(!?) is on the chopping block this round, is VoN or Shadow Crypt targeted for the next?

    Between unknown variables and past experience, I feel quite justified in my skepticism...
    Skepticism is good, turbine's track record isn't "optimal" on this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    You really mad about this? Looks like a net gain to me... I think you can live with one farming quest being nerfed... Plus they already said they are going to reduce the amount of xp needed for TR2 and TR3.

    You may not agree with lowering VOL's exp.. that's cool... but you are really reaching to try to turn this into a DOOOM thread, "I'm quitting because of these changes!" thread.
    We are likely to reduce the total amount of XP needed for 2nd and 3rd life characters to reach level 20.
    3 reasons not to trust this:
    1, technically they can reduce it by 1 exp and keep their word
    2, they don't have to do it, they say: "We are likely" instead of "we are reducing the total exp for TR's by 20% by U20. Note that my version has a number %, an update number and statement that they will do it instead of a hint towards thinking about doing something, their statement is far to vague.
    3, also Track record, look at the stuff they have nerfed in the past, look at the patches and fixes, getting proper testing done instead of rushing it might improve all our lives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Well, they are still increasing xp in more quests than the ones they are "nerfing", and they are including Cannith and Amrath quests which is exactly what WE asked for...

    Hard to believe anyone can turn this into a "I'm going to take a break from the game because they are nerfing Vol" thread. That's really reaching for DOOOM.
    We haven't asked for exp nerfs either, so the stuff i bolded seems a bit over the top. If they are so concerned about what we wanted, why haven't they addressed any other points of the long list?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    I agree that threatening to leave because of one quest is a bit extreme. I honestly don't think they should touch any quest XP unless they raise it. It will make the change feel more like a gift instead of a kick in the nuts and a pat on the shoulder. There's been quite a few more nut kicks than shoulder pats lately. (IMHO)

    My comment was solely directed at your statement that implied that they were 100% going to lower (I mean they won't adjust it up. I hope. But I don't think they are that ____ (filling the blank)) the XP required for tr2 & 3's. They said likely. Likely due to the fact it gives them room to back out of it. Which they've done before. So I just wanted people to know that it's still just an option, like it or not Turbine is very good at double talk. The last thing we need is rumor regarding this floating around.

    I don't consider raising a handful of quests XP "adjusting the XP curve". It's one solution to one part of the problem.
    This Thrudh is why we can't have nice thinks.
    Don't get me wrong, i would love to have the exp curve modified down for tr's. after all that's happened in the game i have a hard time believing their "announcements" This with full respect to the people, i just distrust the policy and the tactics used to get there and with me many others.

  5. #205
    Community Member HallowedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sarlona
    Posts
    515

    Default

    I see no reason to nerf Vol. True, it is the safest of the 3 farmable quests, but it can still be fatal if you go unprepared - I once had a wipe when soloing with a pally because the 5 vampires at the end kept great commanding me.

    Any quest with a timer-to-end should give a proportional ammount of xp based on the time. Period. What proportion is something else to debate.

    Quests with a time-to-fail ( I recall only one on Amrath, the one where you send the cleric/fvs to solo it ) could grant a bonus xp proportional to how fast you finished the quest compared to the timer.

    Finally, Hold for Reinforcements should grant an auto level up if done on streak on Elite.
    "When a mind does not know itself, it is flawed. When a mind is flawed, the man is flawed. When a man is flawed, that which he touches is flawed. It is said that what a flawed man sees, his hands make broken."
    Dak'kon.

  6. #206
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Sorry, i was a bit sleepy when i had written it, it referred to my own server, it's afar emptier place then 3 months ago and even a lot emptier then pre U14, this server isn't Wayfinder as some people jokingly emailed to me.

    Skepticism is good, turbine's track record isn't "optimal" on this.

    3 reasons not to trust this:
    1, technically they can reduce it by 1 exp and keep their word
    2, they don't have to do it, they say: "We are likely" instead of "we are reducing the total exp for TR's by 20% by U20. Note that my version has a number %, an update number and statement that they will do it instead of a hint towards thinking about doing something, their statement is far to vague.
    3, also Track record, look at the stuff they have nerfed in the past, look at the patches and fixes, getting proper testing done instead of rushing it might improve all our lives..

    We haven't asked for exp nerfs either, so the stuff i bolded seems a bit over the top. If they are so concerned about what we wanted, why haven't they addressed any other points of the long list?

    This Thrudh is why we can't have nice thinks.
    Don't get me wrong, i would love to have the exp curve modified down for tr's. after all that's happened in the game i have a hard time believing their "announcements" This with full respect to the people, i just distrust the policy and the tactics used to get there and with me many others.
    I too am skeptical about much of this. Hopefully I'm wrong to be skeptical, but as you've said, past deeds by the Devs have shown that they will more willing to take than give.

    For example, I think the whole time I've been playing the game, there's been only one time that XP was increased for quests after appear in Lamannia, and only by about 500 xp. But we all know about the hard XP nerfs that the Devs have done, such as the Challenges. So there's a chance that all the XP nerfs will be something like 1/2 the xp, but the increases in XP for quests will be by 500 xp.

    Maybe they'll surprise us and actually give the House C quests XP in the proper XP range of 10k range, instead of what I suspect will be just the 4.5 to 5k range.

    So like you said, the XP for TRs could be decreased by 1 xp and they kept their word. The same could be true about XP granted. Again, I'm hoping it's not something measly like taking a 4.5k quest and just increasing it to 5k, especially if the quest is an heroic quest that exponentially harder than most lower Epic quests (which most Amrath and House C quests fall into this category).

  7. #207
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Do. Not. Touch. Vol.

    Seriously, it's one of the very few decent-XP quests in the range for soloists; aside from Litany itself, it's the only one in Necro 4 that's even feasible to solo for anything like a reasonable return.
    I'm a snuggly, fluffy, cuddly-wuddly little rabbit.

    And if you call me a gamer grrrrl, I will reach down your throat, rip out your pancreas and feed it to my Rottweiler.

  8. #208
    Community Member Kza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    587

    Default

    I am quite sure they Will reduce xp for tr. Nowadays its so small increase getting +1 dam as a monk for example. With new content (epic tr) its time to lower what time/effort you have to do for a heroic past life. Its a great and good move and needed!!

  9. #209
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    I too am skeptical about much of this. Hopefully I'm wrong to be skeptical, but as you've said, past deeds by the Devs have shown that they will more willing to take than give.

    For example, I think the whole time I've been playing the game, there's been only one time that XP was increased for quests after appear in Lamannia, and only by about 500 xp. But we all know about the hard XP nerfs that the Devs have done, such as the Challenges. So there's a chance that all the XP nerfs will be something like 1/2 the xp, but the increases in XP for quests will be by 500 xp.

    Maybe they'll surprise us and actually give the House C quests XP in the proper XP range of 10k range, instead of what I suspect will be just the 4.5 to 5k range.

    So like you said, the XP for TRs could be decreased by 1 xp and they kept their word. The same could be true about XP granted. Again, I'm hoping it's not something measly like taking a 4.5k quest and just increasing it to 5k, especially if the quest is an heroic quest that exponentially harder than most lower Epic quests (which most Amrath and House C quests fall into this category).
    10k? please ... make it 15-20k base on elite and we're talking the bomber could use a boost too

  10. #210
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    You wrecked the randomization of loot. You may not believe it but I have not met anyone in game who prefers the new system. From guild to channel to pugs. Nobody. A few tweaks could have made it better but you went full on "Building a China shop in the middle of the running with the bulls route". Please do not repeat this with XP. I tell my nephews and I was told growing up that if I break it, I buy it. If you continue the trend you have started with the loot, your going to break the game (more so than now) and your going to eventually pay for it with your jobs (as in much, much sooner than it could be).
    Hi, welcome. My name is Catt. I like the new randomized loot. I no longer have to grind the same handful (or couple) of raids for good gear. I can get it by just playing the quests (or looking on the AH). Me like 'em.

  11. #211
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Who cares about those who had to walk both ways up hill in the snow.

    Gimmeh my lowered XP!
    Yar! Amen, brotha.

    So completionist people ground for countless hours before. So they bought xp pots. That's life. The game changes. It must change, improve, and adapt. If it doesn't, then it shuts down sooner rather than later. And the game shutting down will be the ultimate trivialization of the work the completionists put in: they'll have nothing.

  12. #212
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catteras View Post
    Hi, welcome. My name is Catt. I like the new randomized loot. I no longer have to grind the same handful (or couple) of raids for good gear. I can get it by just playing the quests (or looking on the AH). Me like 'em.
    Hi, My name is Lehmuska. I hate the new randomized loot. I no longer have to play the game to get good gear. I can get it just looking on the AH.
    Old forum names (that I can't use anymore because of forum changes): Lehmu, Kanttura.
    I play Iioi, Feira, Shrtguy Stabsalot, Hjeelmee Nao, Kesib, Eisiishai, Iioo, Iiio & Havesword Will Travel on Argonnessen.
    I'm also in youtube.

  13. #213
    The Hatchery samthedagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Church of the Sovereign Host
    Posts
    1,836

    Default

    Long thread and I'm late to the party so I'll just toss in my two cents. This is really a question of packs, and not necessarily quests. Many packs have horrendous XP in general while others are great and others are in the middle.

    Packs to Leave Alone (These should be considered baselines.)
    The Seal of Shan-To-Kor (fairly long, but fairly rewarding)
    The Sharn Syndicate (fairly short, but fairly rewarding)
    Phiarlan Carnival (although the first quest in the chain could probably use a bump as it is so long)
    Necropolis I (if I had to pick one pack which I would consider optimal XP/min this would probably be it)
    Necropolis II (quests are long, but also challenging and high XP rewards that investment)
    Necropolis IV (same as Necro II)
    Sorrowdusk Isle (moderate wilderness area but short quests with fair XP)
    Devil Assault (both the quest and the raid are fair for their time and challenge)
    The Red Fens (Epic only; these quests are great to run at low epic levels; moderate challenge and moderate reward)
    The Demon Sands (considering wilderness size and the challenge, the high XP for these quests makes them worthwhile)
    Attack on Stormreach (moderate challenge and moderate reward)
    Ruins of Gianthold (moderate challenge and moderate reward; plus lots of good loot)
    Harbinger of Madness (fairly challenging with moderate rewards; this is on the low end of "leave alone" because several take a while to complete, but only the final quest is very challenging)
    Disciples of Shadow (some might disagree but these quests are all very short)
    The Vale of Twilight (I'd probably put this in the same category as Necropolis I; optimal risk:reward ratio)
    Shadowfell Conspiracy (Epic only) (great to run on epic and very challenging, but decent rewards too)
    Druid's Deep (Epic only) (fairly easy to complete on epic so the low XP is fine)
    The Reaver's Reach (long quests with lots of challenge but lots of XP so a good risk:reward ratio)
    Reign of Madness (fairly challenging, but also pretty good XP)
    The Path of Inspiration (relatively short quests with pretty low XP is fair)
    The Dreaming Dark (same as Path of Inspiration)
    Menace of the Underdark (as epic only, these quests are very well balanced in challenge and reward)
    High Road of Shadows (Epic only) (moderate challenge and moderate XP makes these worthwhile epics)

    Packs to Increase XP
    The Catacombs (lots of travel in between quests and although the quests are short, they are woefully low on XP)
    Three-Barrel Cove (as far as XP goes this is probably the absolute worst pack in the game as it requires travel through a large map of many low-populated wilderness areas just to get to most of the quests)
    Vaults of the Artificers (these challenges are good for one run and that's it; simply lower the repeat penalty to something like 2/3 and they would be fine)
    The Ruins of Threnal (all of these quests save perhaps one have TERRIBLE XP and they are a pain in the butt due to two escort missions and one protection mission)
    The Red Fens (Heroic only; though not as bad as 3BC because the map is smaller, these quests are relatively weak on XP)
    The Restless Isles (a long wilderness map + two long quests and an overall total of only two quests plus a raid make these a terrible choice for someone wanting to purchase packs; these quests need a major XP bump due to their completion times alone)
    Necropolis III (every one of these quests is long, tedious, and has annoying mechanics that make them hardly worth running for that reason alone; more XP would make them more attractive choices)
    Eveningstar Challenge Pack (see Vaults of the Artificers)
    Shadowfell Conspiracy (Heroic only; many of these quests take a long time to complete and need more XP to encourage purchase)
    The Druid's Deep (Heroic only; several long quests which have some annoying mechanics; increasing optional XP would probably be sufficient in most cases)
    Secrets of the Artificers (back when these quests were endgame content it didn't matter that they awarded minimal XP; since they are leveling quests now they need a serious boost; only thing saving these quests is the awesomeness that is alchemical crafting, but many folks don't bother if they are TRing because they don't plan to run the raids)
    Devils of Shavarath (same problem as Secrets of the Artificers, except the loot is hardly worth mentioning anymore so there is practically zero reason to run these quests anymore; the quests themselves are fun and challenging; they simply aren't rewarding)
    High Road of Shadows (Heroic only; the wilderness map is small, but the challenge is high and the XP is not worth the challenge)

    Packs to Reduce (these packs are run and farmed into oblivion because they are quick and easy, even with the new XP ransack)
    Tangleroot Gorge (this entire chain can be completed on one set of ship buffs with 20-30 minutes to spare; and the challenge does not scale well; reduce the level of these quests to 3-5 and tone down the XP a bit)
    Delara's Tomb (part 2 and part 4 particularly; part 1 and part 3 need a small boost and part 2 and part 4 need a reduction)
    The Vault of Night (this pack is great for only one thing: XP; increase the loot drop rate in the raid and reduce the XP in most of the quests, particularly VoN3; leave the raid alone because it takes a long time to run and lots of coordination which should be rewarded)

    The big take-away for this is that most packs are fine, but a large number go unnoticed and un-run because they don't keep pace XP-wise with the other packs. Increasing their XP will not make leveling faster. It will encourage people to buy more packs and increase the variety of quests that are run. What we, the players, want is more options to run while leveling. I should be able to choose to run 3BC or Threnal at level instead of other quests in their level range without feeling like I am wasting my time. We should have more palatable options for reaching level 20 than simply grinding Vale and Reaver's Reach.

  14. #214
    Community Member Grosbeak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    7,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lehmuska View Post
    Hi, My name is Lehmuska. I hate the new randomized loot. I no longer have to play the game to get good gear. I can get it just looking on the AH.
    That is your own choice.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

  15. #215
    Community Member Cableman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Some clarifications:

    We are likely to reduce the total amount of XP needed for 2nd and 3rd life characters to reach level 20.

    We didn't focus a great deal on how much each quest is being run. The focus was on the XP earned and completion times for those who did play these quests.

    XP and Favor have long been tied together. The XP formula also brings in factors such as quest length, quest level, quest difficulty, and some constants. There's a few other minor factors as well. In the cases where we are changing some of the XP, we now have the ability to override some of these factors and more directly set the XP values.

    It is not our thinking that these changes cover all issues. It's fine and great for you guys to keep up with the suggestions! Thank you.
    I strongly disagree with any reduction to 2nd and 3rd life xp requirements. With all the new xp bonuses and additional quests in the 15-19 range there is no need especially if there is going to be some increases in quest xp with U20. I currently run as many quests as possible during a life with a once and done approach on elite and currently have some left over. In quests, we move fast and still typically get ransack, traps, secret doors, optionals, and conquest. If people want to get to 20 faster on a third life, use xp potions or an otto's box. Currently on 30th life, level 9, over 1100 favor. I repeat, no need to reduce TR experience requirements, do not cave to the instant gratification crowd.
    Bjriand The Great 15/3/2 Warlock/Paladin/Cleric Triple Heroic / Epic / Iconic Completionist - 95 Total lives
    Seyeder 20 Barbarian (Current Project, 7 Past Lives)

  16. #216
    Community Member Cableman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Another idea I had was to move Three Barrel Cove quests/slayer area to level 10 (change wilderness area to 8-13), adjust the XP/Difficulty appropriately. This would fill a noticeable void in the level 10 range, it's not needed at level 5 with the abundance of quests in that level range.
    Bjriand The Great 15/3/2 Warlock/Paladin/Cleric Triple Heroic / Epic / Iconic Completionist - 95 Total lives
    Seyeder 20 Barbarian (Current Project, 7 Past Lives)

  17. #217
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
    I strongly disagree with any reduction to 2nd and 3rd life xp requirements. With all the new xp bonuses and additional quests in the 15-19 range there is no need especially if there is going to be some increases in quest xp with U20. I currently run as many quests as possible during a life with a once and done approach on elite and currently have some left over. In quests, we move fast and still typically get ransack, traps, secret doors, optionals, and conquest. If people want to get to 20 faster on a third life, use xp potions or an otto's box. Currently on 30th life, level 9, over 1100 favor. I repeat, no need to reduce TR experience requirements, do not cave to the instant gratification crowd.
    I would say it all depends on how quest xp is changed. I don't personally think its that hard to cap on a third life, but a lot of the complainers are ones that make time relevant and feel the need to hurry through levels. The xp right now is technically there, especially the more boosts you add in and without doing much slayer. Even for someone like me who does mostly one and done skip some quests for various reasons and do little farming. If the xp was adjusted properly across all levels, the grind wouldn't seem all that bad and probably make leveling a little easier. If its adjusted and it still feels the same old same old grind, than nothing really will have changed. I personally don't see the need for such a huge amount of xp required to cap on a third life and wouldn't mind seeing at least a million knocked off the top now that cap will be raised to 30. I don't know how much xp that is including the ED grind, but it would be nice to worry a little less about xp and enjoy other aspects of the game a little more.

  18. #218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    I call BS!

    You talk about Epic quests, yet of the 20 quests you listed (4 decreased, 16 increased) only 5 or 6 (Spies in the House?) even have an Epic button, and none are exclusively Epic. If your point is really to address Epic quest XP as your opening statement claims, why are you predominantly focusing on Heroic dungeons?
    Weren't those 2 separate things?

    1. So starting with Update 20, longer epic quests will be worth more XP and shorter quests will be worth less.

    and

    2. They went in and manually adjusted the 20 listed Heroic quests.

    whats the BS?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  19. #219
    Community Member Oxarhamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    Long thread and I'm late to the party so I'll just toss in my two cents. This is really a question of packs, and not necessarily quests. Many packs have horrendous XP in general while others are great and others are in the middle.

    Packs to Leave Alone (These should be considered baselines.)
    The Seal of Shan-To-Kor (fairly long, but fairly rewarding)
    The Sharn Syndicate (fairly short, but fairly rewarding)
    Phiarlan Carnival (although the first quest in the chain could probably use a bump as it is so long)
    Necropolis I (if I had to pick one pack which I would consider optimal XP/min this would probably be it)
    Necropolis II (quests are long, but also challenging and high XP rewards that investment)
    Necropolis IV (same as Necro II)
    Sorrowdusk Isle (moderate wilderness area but short quests with fair XP)
    Devil Assault (both the quest and the raid are fair for their time and challenge)
    The Red Fens (Epic only; these quests are great to run at low epic levels; moderate challenge and moderate reward)
    The Demon Sands (considering wilderness size and the challenge, the high XP for these quests makes them worthwhile)
    Attack on Stormreach (moderate challenge and moderate reward)
    Ruins of Gianthold (moderate challenge and moderate reward; plus lots of good loot)
    Harbinger of Madness (fairly challenging with moderate rewards; this is on the low end of "leave alone" because several take a while to complete, but only the final quest is very challenging)
    Disciples of Shadow (some might disagree but these quests are all very short)
    The Vale of Twilight (I'd probably put this in the same category as Necropolis I; optimal risk:reward ratio)
    Shadowfell Conspiracy (Epic only) (great to run on epic and very challenging, but decent rewards too)
    Druid's Deep (Epic only) (fairly easy to complete on epic so the low XP is fine)
    The Reaver's Reach (long quests with lots of challenge but lots of XP so a good risk:reward ratio)
    Reign of Madness (fairly challenging, but also pretty good XP)
    The Path of Inspiration (relatively short quests with pretty low XP is fair)
    The Dreaming Dark (same as Path of Inspiration)
    Menace of the Underdark (as epic only, these quests are very well balanced in challenge and reward)
    High Road of Shadows (Epic only) (moderate challenge and moderate XP makes these worthwhile epics)

    Packs to Increase XP
    The Catacombs (lots of travel in between quests and although the quests are short, they are woefully low on XP)
    Three-Barrel Cove (as far as XP goes this is probably the absolute worst pack in the game as it requires travel through a large map of many low-populated wilderness areas just to get to most of the quests)
    Vaults of the Artificers (these challenges are good for one run and that's it; simply lower the repeat penalty to something like 2/3 and they would be fine)
    The Ruins of Threnal (all of these quests save perhaps one have TERRIBLE XP and they are a pain in the butt due to two escort missions and one protection mission)
    The Red Fens (Heroic only; though not as bad as 3BC because the map is smaller, these quests are relatively weak on XP)
    The Restless Isles (a long wilderness map + two long quests and an overall total of only two quests plus a raid make these a terrible choice for someone wanting to purchase packs; these quests need a major XP bump due to their completion times alone)
    Necropolis III (every one of these quests is long, tedious, and has annoying mechanics that make them hardly worth running for that reason alone; more XP would make them more attractive choices)
    Eveningstar Challenge Pack (see Vaults of the Artificers)
    Shadowfell Conspiracy (Heroic only; many of these quests take a long time to complete and need more XP to encourage purchase)
    The Druid's Deep (Heroic only; several long quests which have some annoying mechanics; increasing optional XP would probably be sufficient in most cases)
    Secrets of the Artificers (back when these quests were endgame content it didn't matter that they awarded minimal XP; since they are leveling quests now they need a serious boost; only thing saving these quests is the awesomeness that is alchemical crafting, but many folks don't bother if they are TRing because they don't plan to run the raids)
    Devils of Shavarath (same problem as Secrets of the Artificers, except the loot is hardly worth mentioning anymore so there is practically zero reason to run these quests anymore; the quests themselves are fun and challenging; they simply aren't rewarding)
    High Road of Shadows (Heroic only; the wilderness map is small, but the challenge is high and the XP is not worth the challenge)

    Packs to Reduce (these packs are run and farmed into oblivion because they are quick and easy, even with the new XP ransack)
    Tangleroot Gorge (this entire chain can be completed on one set of ship buffs with 20-30 minutes to spare; and the challenge does not scale well; reduce the level of these quests to 3-5 and tone down the XP a bit)
    Delara's Tomb (part 2 and part 4 particularly; part 1 and part 3 need a small boost and part 2 and part 4 need a reduction)
    The Vault of Night (this pack is great for only one thing: XP; increase the loot drop rate in the raid and reduce the XP in most of the quests, particularly VoN3; leave the raid alone because it takes a long time to run and lots of coordination which should be rewarded)

    The big take-away for this is that most packs are fine, but a large number go unnoticed and un-run because they don't keep pace XP-wise with the other packs. Increasing their XP will not make leveling faster. It will encourage people to buy more packs and increase the variety of quests that are run. What we, the players, want is more options to run while leveling. I should be able to choose to run 3BC or Threnal at level instead of other quests in their level range without feeling like I am wasting my time. We should have more palatable options for reaching level 20 than simply grinding Vale and Reaver's Reach.
    I didn't read your whole list.

    I started reading packs to leave alone: Sorrowdusk < I disagree,
    then I jump to Packs to boost: Catacombs < your reason for boosting Catacombs is the reason Sorrow dusk needs a boost

    very inconsistent reasoning

    go back to drawing board

  20. #220
    Community Member Oxarhamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I would say it all depends on how quest xp is changed. I don't personally think its that hard to cap on a third life, but a lot of the complainers are ones that make time relevant and feel the need to hurry through levels. The xp right now is technically there, especially the more boosts you add in and without doing much slayer. Even for someone like me who does mostly one and done skip some quests for various reasons and do little farming. If the xp was adjusted properly across all levels, the grind wouldn't seem all that bad and probably make leveling a little easier. If its adjusted and it still feels the same old same old grind, than nothing really will have changed. I personally don't see the need for such a huge amount of xp required to cap on a third life and wouldn't mind seeing at least a million knocked off the top now that cap will be raised to 30. I don't know how much xp that is including the ED grind, but it would be nice to worry a little less about xp and enjoy other aspects of the game a little more.
    I don't think its thank difficult to cap a 3rd life toon either, but as long as quests like those in Vale give me more on 2nd, 3rd, 4th completions in a row you won't find me going to run any of the half baked XP quests.

    I want whole baked XP quests beyond Vale.

    It does not matter if there are 3000 different quests at level 17. I will be in the TRUE one and done crowd:

    Done it once XP was so bad NEVER doing it again on another life.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload