Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meaningful DPS

I doubt your dps will be stellar. Mostly because, in my experience....ingame...guys who make spreadsheets are rarely facing their opponent and are usually trying to kill it with a wand of shield

Quote Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
    It must be because there is no pvp in this game that everyone is so resistant to stat breakdowns. While dps surely won't display the number found here there is a notable value in finding dps as general starting points. I mean, if you think that ddo has "to many variables" to make reasonable stat models don't go into finance. This stuff is profoundly simple by even a casual observation.

The biggest advantage of a dps model is knowing the base comparison from which to expand or detract. Ranged fighters, for example will have a far higher likelihood of achieving their average dps as they are able to remain stationary for longer than the average melee can. Therefore, it is reasonable to expect closer to actual dps numbers.

Tanks also are able to stay stationary more than damage toons as becoming surrounded and keeping argo is their job. Therefore, dps for a tank will be a truer number than a damage toon and a less true number compared to ranged.
    Further, dps provides a base point from which to measure potential. If my build has 1500 dps in optimal play while yours has 1000 I hold an inherent advantage as unless your build has notably better ways to mitigate for non optimal situations I will, continue to put out more damage on average than you.

So, while the actual physical number isn't only valuable, the inferences one can make from that number are. That's why this exercise is of significant value when comparing build. The competition isn'tthe number, its what that number means in in play.

LOL, don't know why you guys keep quoting me but ya Like i said the spreadsheet game is fun and it can be used as a base (start point) for comparisons, but the number means very little in game you will very rarely achieve it, and player twitch skills are far more important.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    I doubt your dps will be stellar. Mostly because, in my experience....ingame...guys who make spreadsheets are rarely facing their opponent and are usually trying to kill it with a wand of shield
    Or, in the world of sports the guy calling the play. After all, it doesn't matter if "my" dps is great if "you" could take the build execute it better.

Ps: I actually meant to quote the other guy. Seems you're just popular today Grail

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    1 day later and only 2 pages?

In the spreadsheet gamer era of DDO ~2009 or so this thread would have gotten trolled into a moebius loop of hilarity.
    Hello Chai

Community Member

I use CR 58 EE Wood Woads for my tests. I don't think they can be stunned, are crit resistant, hard to trip, can't be bluffed, sneak resistant, and will continuously try to stomp you flat, earthquake, entangle, and hit like trucks so also serve as a simultaneous test if your build can't also take the heat. There are four of them in Druids Deep chain in Druid's Curse. You can time how long it takes to kill one and verify your build is tanky enough to fight all four at once with a healer hire. It is 21-28 seconds each on my 1ranger/2monk/17 druid/7 epic depending on gear loadout.

A non-healing character should cut that time down by 40% as a tanky melee, or by 60% as a ranged dps.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 10-11-2013 at 05:47 AM.

Community Member

I have a Human Clr17/WIZ1/FTR2 with 2hd EAGA. STR40, so does not have Stunning Blow. I can swap it with Toughness though. You thing Stunning Blow will work?
    One was saying going legendary dread and sense weakness with stun tactics might be better dps average. Probably on a barb with high str and stun blow.

The plan is to twist 3,2,1. Then 4,2,1.

My question is. I am going 3,1 initially cause I want to twist in Lay Waste instead of Momentum swing. Not sure if this is the right way to go with a low fate point count. Lay Waste will not be able to reset within a minute. Momentum swing has a good change of reset with both Cleave and GCleave. I can use multiple Momentum Swing with adrenaline 5 second cool down. So wondering if 3,1 twist is worth it or should I go 2,1,1. Just wondering how you guys build up your fate points.

How do you twist a 2hdr Melee Cleric based on your expertise?

Right now my average critical hit is 2200+ and my 19-20 is prob 4500+. That is fully buffed with Adrenaline and then Momentum Swing [5W] on the EAGA. I never could get the buffs to line up on Legendary Dreadnought with the random criticals of 19-20. At least with Adrenaline and Momentum Swing I can plan my short timed buffs for it like Inflame and human damage boost that have 30 sec timers. Other boosts are Divine Power item, Divine Favor, FTR haste with some Kensi ax. Power Attack, Overwhelming Critical. Warpriest for mass heal attack @ [2W] too. FOTW and LD are capped.

Ameliorating Strike: When your strike an enemy with Smite Foe, you and your nearby allies are healed by 1d2 per character level, and benefit from the effects of the Lesser Restoration spell. (The heal from Ameliorating Strike is affected by your Positive Spell Power)

Last edited by firemedium_jt; 11-03-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    I have a Human Clr17/WIZ1/FTR2 with 2hd EAGA. STR40, so does not have Stunning Blow. I can swap it with Toughness though. You thing Stunning Blow will work?
    One was saying going legendary dread and sense weakness with stun tactics might be better dps average. Probably on a barb with high str and stun blow.
    IMO, no. 40 is about 20 points too low to make stunning blow work well. 2 lives ago (pre-U19) I had 56 or 58 str with legendary tactics twisted and +3 enhancements and could land it someone reliably on softer targets, less so on giant type mobs or fighter type mobs, and almost not at all on giant fighter type mobs in EH content, and lighter EE content. My DC was high 50s if I recall. Do the #s you list above include divine might, primal scream, tenser's and any other buffs you might be using? If you can boost that to 60ish then I'd say go for it if doing EH content mostly. If you want it to be worthwhile on EE, try for 64+.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123