In a cozy little place just south of Hell

Default Exploiting, from a non-exploiter

Over the years, I have seen and heard of many exploits, and I have a sincere question to ask: If a mass exploit is done, and there isn't consequences for those who exploit, then why shouldn't I exploit??? Other then the comments of exploiting isn't the right thing to do etc. I just look at if there is no penalty to those who exploit, whatever the exploits may be, today and in the future, it makes it really difficult for a person who doesn't exploit, to not say, well forget this, if others do it, and turbine doesn't care and there is no penalty, I am going to as well.

This has annoyed me so much, that I have not logged into the forums since they changed the forums (hi myhealer , love your posts lol)

btw, the typing is black on black, is this really what the new format is like???? uugh, terrible
    Mobility, proud leader of Bane on Thelanis ~ I am either loved or hated, there is no in between. (Self declared Ultimate Piker, though I now give my crown to Ranit. He has guildies log his toons and play his toons for him. Getting xp and not even playing the game? He wins)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HackSlashKill View Post
    why shouldn't I exploit???
    Because you have a higher moral standard, because you prefer to play the game as designed instead of pushing easy buttons, because exploits might harm other people. That's why I don't exploit.

Because exploiting is boring, unless you get your kicks from cheating yourself.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Because exploiting is boring, unless you get your kicks from cheating yourself.
    Easily the best reason as without goals to meet most games stop being interesting.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

O.....

btw, the typing is black on black, is this really what the new format is like???? uugh, terrible
    You don't like the black on black? Click on your name, or anyone's name, then click FORUM POSTS. It completely makes up for the black on black.

Some exploits I know and remember, not one of them made me quit playing the game because others did it.

Crystal Cove Wand Cash in - this I don't consider an exploit at all. This worked exactly like it was supposed to. It is just that there was nothing else for gold doubloons to be used on, so why not sell a wand for 9,000 plat? Better yet, why not sell 1,000 of them.

XP exploit - this was a bad one, at the time. But it did not really effect other players that ground XP. This was a 30 day ban or longer exploit. Write a letter, be contrite, promise to be better, blah blah blah back in game. But what happened because of this? Turbine realized a business opportunity. Players want to bypass XP. Let's give them the chance to BUY it. Probably the single highest revenue item in the DDO store, the XP stone.

Mabar Exploit - this was time limited. First you had to get into the dragon. Second, you could only do it while the dragon was up, once done you were booted out. Third it was during an event that was strictly time limited. If no one was playing the event, the exploit could not be utilized.

+3 Tome exploit - to me, at the time, this was a bad one, for awhile there, the currency of the trade channel was +3 tomes. But now, since +5 tomes exist, this turned out to be tempest in a teapot.

Risia Ice Games exploits - these are not game shattering at all. A few more recipe 5s appeared, but not infinite recipe 5s. Since I do the Risia Ice Games the old fashioned way and compete against the exploiters, it does not even bother me.

This WAS a bad exploit, but not game shattering. All it did was provide many unsuspecting players the chance to get some hard to get items by using their credit card. Even better, as the supply INFINITELY increased on these items, the prices became cheaper and cheaper. True economics at work, the Law of Supply and Demand. As others have pointed out, I bet Turbine sold a bazillion Astral Shards.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 10-09-2013 at 06:09 AM.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando_Moreiras View Post
    because exploits might harm other people.
    That's what makes it fun.

Community Member

In addition to the above reasons, you can add: "because I don't want to contribute to the death of a game I like". I've seen people say they buy VIP not because they need it but because they want to support the game -- this is the same, only in reverse.

then why shouldn't I exploit???
    I don't do things because others do them, I do things because I feel they're right or wrong.
    And not right or wrong in a moral way - but what's best for me now rather then later.
    Big game breaking exploits destroys games.
    The consequence of short term thinking (morals aside) always have long term consequences.
    Integrity is a bummer, but it's usually the best course of action into the foreseeable feature.

We have already seen the "good" reply above - because you have higher morals.Here is the lawful reason: because you agreed not to exploit when you accepted the TOC.And the neutral answer for our druidic friends: because exploiting messes up the balance of the game, as the current exploit shows.Wait, does this mean that, if you are chaotic or evil aligned, you can exploit all you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Syrrah View Post
    We have already seen the "good" reply above - because you have higher morals.Here is the lawful reason: because you agreed not to exploit when you accepted the TOC.And the neutral answer for our druidic friends: because exploiting messes up the balance of the game, as the current exploit shows.Wait, does this mean that, if you are chaotic or evil aligned, you can exploit all you want?
    If you are chaotic neutral or evil, its the "dont get caught" clause that holds the day.

Community Member

Without consequences I can't see any reason to not use future exploits. Obviously Turbine doesn't consider this past exploit against any rules or they would have dealt with the exploiters with some kind of punishment.

Your options are to refrain from using exploits and get left out of the windfall of riches, or use the exploit and join in on the fun without worry of repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by DakDeFrosted View Post
    Without consequences I can't see any reason to not use future exploits. Obviously Turbine doesn't consider this past exploit against any rules or they would have dealt with the exploiters with some kind of punishment.

Your options are to refrain from using exploits and get left out of the windfall of riches, or use the exploit and join in on the fun without worry of repercussions.
    Fun? Cant see that happening.

Community Member

Why do people think there are no consequences? In the official thread they said there would be. Isn't it against the rules to discuss specific disciplinary actions against you? If so anyone banned won't be coming here to let you know they got punished, and Turbine most likely won't be naming names.

Over the years, I have seen and heard of many exploits, and I have a sincere question to ask: If a mass exploit is done, and there isn't consequences for those who exploit, then why shouldn't I exploit???
    Ok, first off, take all the "Holier-then-thou" junk and throw it in the meat grinder, it's junk, it's worthless to even consider. The real question is "why do you log in"

Last night I ran several raids, had a great time, and enjoyed banter and chat with people I have been playing this game with for years, as well as some new people. That is why I log in, that is why I play.

Any bug that diminishes that (Like the Titan Bug) needs to be fixed (No surprise that the Titan Bug is not fixed yet, which is really lame), when they break Abbot for the dozenth time, that impacts my game, and yet it goes weeks on end with no fix, when they mess up the damage of the shroud blades, that cuts into my fun time, and yet that sits around for a long time with no fix. They put in some minor bug that has almost no impact on my overall game fun, or my ability to run a raid or quest, and people make this huge deal out of it, you would think they are selling game stuff for real money to make their mortgage payments with how up in arms they are about it.

So, really, what you do with your game time is just that. Your reasons for playing some way in a game should not be contingent upon getting caught or being punished, it should be about what you find fun.

Quote Originally Posted by smeggy1384 View Post
    Why do people think there are no consequences? In the official thread they said there would be. Isn't it against the rules to discuss specific disciplinary actions against you? If so anyone banned won't be coming here to let you know they got punished, and Turbine most likely won't be naming names.
    Past history says it'll be a few day vacation which really is kind of limited as far as consequences.

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

There are multiple existing threads regarding this topic already. Please use them.