Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default An almost 8 year old issue...

...that I don't think I have ever even seen acknowledgement of is voice chat volume issue. It is an issue that has dorked up audio for the entire lifespan of the game. Can't we get someone in authority to speak about it? Surely the contract with the provider must have come up for renewal at some point during which things like this issue (not to mention much needed improvements like individual settings) should have come up.

Do you want to do something that will make the playerbase happy? Address the longest standing issue in the game. At least acknowledge it.

Okay, end my mini rant... it was ****ing me off last night.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    ...that I don't think I have ever even seen acknowledgement of is voice chat volume issue. It is an issue that has dorked up audio for the entire lifespan of the game. Can't we get someone in authority to speak about it? Surely the contract with the provider must have come up for renewal at some point during which things like this issue (not to mention much needed improvements like individual settings) should have come up.

Do you want to do something that will make the playerbase happy? Address the longest standing issue in the game. At least acknowledge it.

Okay, end my mini rant... it was ****ing me off last night.
    considering that microphone volume is set multiple times
    1) computers main voice apture setting,
    2) some models by a microphone setting
    3)games input capture (voice capture threshold or something like that)
    4)receiving player voice output volume
    5)recievings players main compuer volume.

unless the game completely overwrote the settings for 1, 2, and 5, it would be impossible for it to be fixed on turbines side without player adjusting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Violith View Post

unless the game completely overwrote the settings for 1, 2, and 5, it would be impossible for it to be fixed on turbines side without player adjusting them.
    I'd doubt that it couldn't at least be mitigated at Turbine's end. It is my impression that absolutely everybody in game has had to turn every other sound effect down to sub 25% in order to make voice usable. At the very least the threshold ranges could be reworked.

Some games have individual volume sliders per party member/person. This is an easy fix and what DDO has needed.

1, 2, 3 are irrelevant unless the user set the volume too low to capture.

4, 5 is the user's preference for output volume.

What needs to happen is on the voice server is to have sound leveling so that all the players in the party are delivered to client at a standardized level so that the volume control means something. Either that or the user needs separate volume controls for each person in the party with voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    What needs to happen is on the voice server is to have sound leveling so that all the players in the party are delivered to client at a standardized level so that the volume control means something. Either that or the user needs separate volume controls for each person in the party with voice.
    Sounds great! (no pun intended)
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

I fully support fixing that.

my sound settings when voice chat from other players and game sound is balanced are also having sound wierd settings:
    voice chat 1.0
    master volume 1.0
    rest 0.03

While you are at it I also suggest to replace the linear scale fader by logarithmic scale faders, since sound pressure and loudness scales logarithmically. That is more intuitive. So half the sound pressure would be each time -6 dB, rather than lowering linear scale from 1.0 to 0.5 to 0.25 to 0.125 etc.. Since 0.03 linear scale refers to about -30dB, minimum value to set in game unequal 0 is 0.01 refers to -40 dB, which is not low enough considering the inbalancies between voice and game sound. I hope you got the point and I did the math right. Pimp you audio by using logarithmic faders. =)
    Last edited by morkahn82; 10-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Community Member

Simple solution: per-party-member volume controls. Not that difficult to implement, most likely, and would help with the impossible task of dealing with whisper-quiet and super-loud people in the same party.

Edit: cdr said it already, should have read more carefully.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    1, 2, 3 are irrelevant unless the user set the volume too low to capture.

4, 5 is the user's preference for output volume.

that would cause people's who has stuff set to low or too high to become distorted. like I said, if the game overwrote 1,2 and 5 that could work. but overriding system settings could cause problems, and I doubt turbine wants to get into having their reputation being ruined over ruining someones computer, which could happen if they try and force that.

1,2,3 dont need to be unable to capture the voice to make it irrelevant to use them, combined they cause the problem by having the sound going into the game being too low and thus makes it hard for either the talker or listener to set the sound ingame correctly. sure they might be able to have a leveling system over the voice server but taht could distort the words and make it harder to understand rather then hear depending on the users settings.

individual settings would help, but do you really know of a game that has a built in voice system that supports and individually has settings for 12 players at a time?

overall, the problem could be fixed by the players involved by adjusting their system volumes and then their game option volumes so I doubt turbine sees it as much of a problem on their end, especially when over 50% of the userbase uses 3rd party voice chat servers.

overall, the problem could be fixed by the players involved by adjusting their system volumes and then their game option volumes so I doubt turbine sees it as much of a problem on their end, especially when over 50% of the userbase uses 3rd party voice chat servers.
    And those are serious issues. The fact that so many people use 3rd party voice chat is a big problem. It is yet another barrier to casual grouping and therefore puts up another layer of segregation between the casual gamer and the "hardcore" gamer.

Hell, I am not even asking that they do something about it. I just want them to acknowledge that it is a problem. Start to consider maybe looking into possibly investigating the problem... that is all.

...and a mic setup utility?

So people know their voice chat is working correctly before they get in the game.

I've spent a lot of time helping others go through all the window settings to get the mic working or getting rid of echo.

Please, pretty please?

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

It is my impression that absolutely everybody in game has had to turn every other sound effect down to sub 25% in order to make voice usable.

This.

It's horrible. Now, to make things worse for the game as a whole, bring in Team Speak. It's hard to pug when part of the party is on a different voice channel.

If the in game voice chat weren't so awful, many TS users wouldn't even bother with TS, and potential TS users wouldn't see the point of using TS.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I agree with you that the audio is ****. I often find myself in a party with two people saying I'm blasting their speakers too loud, two who argue I can't be heard at all, and one who says I'm just the right volume. I can't possibly adjust anything at my end for all three extremes at the same time! However, I have no idea what the terms of thier contract is, and if it's a 'life of the game' one, we're screwed.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

all of that is simply outright ignoring that if I could raise AND LOWER (because that would be really handy some times) each party members individual volume it would 100% mitigate any other technology issue.

Put a small mouse over volume slider on each party members bar... and everyone is happier.

While they are at that, improve the bars, give them more feedback, make the click and the glow of "selection" more pronounced, and make a bar slowly glow red when someone is badly injured... The feedback and UI in DDO is among the more unfinished and amateurish systems of any game I've played
    *Disclaimer: All statements are generalized without boging down in minutia. Assuming that there are ALWAYS exceptions that test the rule, variations, and un-stated details may be omitted for brevity. These can be assumed to be understood; without bloating my posts with preemptive coverass. [*] Seal[*] Scroll[*] Shard[*] Base Item - eSoS >200 runs

I'd doubt that it couldn't at least be mitigated at Turbine's end. It is my impression that absolutely everybody in game has had to turn every other sound effect down to sub 25% in order to make voice usable. At the very least the threshold ranges could be reworked.
    25%!? You get to play with sounds at 25%?! WOW! What's that like?

Me? I have every sound slider down to 2% and can still hardly hear some folks. For many, I have to turn all sounds off.

I've put up a thread about these problems about roughly once a year for the last 4 years. I don't think there has ever been a dev response on this. I've never seen a dev comment on this. It's never going to change, as much of a shame as that is. I think Turbine just focuses on the fact that their in-game voice chat seems to be ahead of what most/many other MMOs offer.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    some games have individual volume sliders per party member/person. This is an easy fix and what ddo has needed.
    ^this
    Lightsocket, Lightarrow, Lighter, Lighttank, Lightzapper
    Lightmeup, Lightsage, Lightemup, Lightrock, Lightbright, Lightsurge, Lightmaker, Lightbeam, Lightmist

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post

Me? I have every sound slider down to 2% and can still hardly hear some folks. For many, I have to turn all sounds off.

I've put up a thread about these problems about roughly once a year for the last 4 years. I don't think there has ever been a dev response on this. I've never seen a dev comment on this. It's never going to change, as much of a shame as that is. I think Turbine just focuses on the fact that their in-game voice chat seems to be ahead of what most/many other MMOs offer.
    yeah, I was being a bit generous with 25%...

And that was why I wanted to post and why I was not saying "make this change" or "make that change." I just want some acknowledgement that there is an issue concerning users, one that has concerned users for the life of the game, and maybe an attempt to look into it. You know if they came back and said that, "for reasons beyodn teh technical there really isn't anything that can reasonably be done about it." I would be content.

Community Member Avenging_Angel's Avatar

I was expecting to see:

"Management".

As for ingame sounds and voice chat, I've had some instances of DDO seemingly overriding Windows settings (or not caring about what I changed in the OS), but that could be the OS fault as well. Guild chat wasn't able to solve my inability to hear ingame chat after U19.
    Last edited by Avenging_Angel; 10-08-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    No matter what you post, there is always someone who responds with something like "Unless you are gimped, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back." It gets a little tiresome.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post

Me? I have every sound slider down to 2% and can still hardly hear some folks.
    Yeah I honestly suspect that person also meant 2% as I have mine down around 2% myself. individual sliders...

they should at LEAST have a "master voice chat volume" that you can turn up.
    *Disclaimer: All statements are generalized without boging down in minutia. Assuming that there are ALWAYS exceptions that test the rule, variations, and un-stated details may be omitted for brevity. These can be assumed to be understood; without bloating my posts with preemptive coverass. [*] Seal[*] Scroll[*] Shard[*] Base Item - eSoS >200 runs

8 years old issue ? I thought you were talking about Coyle
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast