Default New PC, which OS system should I install?

Quick question as to which Operating system I should install on my new PC (Which has not arrived yet). It has just the windows 7 test version installed evidently so I should be able to choose which OS I want. I was tempted to try one of the free ones around but I fear this may not work out well for me as I would prefer a simple install.

Windows 7 and 8 seem to be the same price so I am unsure if there are any benefits to 8? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

My system is this:

CPU AMD Bulldozer FX-8350 8 x 4,0 GHz
    Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 Mainboard
    8 GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600
    500 GB S-ATA Festplatte 7200 rpm Seagate (Hard drive)
    ATI Radeon HD6570 2048MB DDR5 (Graphics)

7, 8 is an abortion meant for tablets and shoved into pc's in an attempt to turn a bigger profit.

Default Cynical much?

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    7, 8 is an abortion meant for tablets and shoved into pc's in an attempt to turn a bigger profit.
    Don't believe his cynical comment. Windows 8 and Windows 7 are almost identical. They have changed the start menu, etc, and added a new way to write applications that will work in both, but all the windows 7 apps that I have tried in windows 7 work just fine.

Since the prices are the same (and I checked also), I would go with windows 8, as the free update 8.1 is due in a couple weeks, and windows 8, in my experience, is about 2-3x faster in startup and shutdown, and in generally faster overall.

I've been using windows 8 Pro for almost a year and what I like about the interface is that it works to my OCD of needing a clean Desktop. It does have a Tablet feel, but since I work a lot with Touch screen solutions it works for me.

Windows 7 is proven, and does not have the tablet feel.

Either would be a good choice.

Personally I recommend Windows 8/Pro if you are use to Windows/Android type phones or enjoy the Tablet feel. If you are more comfortable with the feel of Windows 7 go that route.

Windows 8 took something that was good and changed it. There was no reason to take away the start button except to force change on people that don't want change. Too many hoops to jump through to get an interface that's close to what I'm used to.

I'm sure Windows 8 is better in many ways, but if I had my choice, 7 all the way until they add my start button back and make the tabletish start screen an opt in optional.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Windows 8 took something that was good and changed it. There was no reason to take away the start button except to force change on people that don't want change. Too many hoops to jump through to get an interface that's close to what I'm used to.

I'm sure Windows 8 is better in many ways, but if I had my choice, 7 all the way until they add my start button back and make the tabletish start screen an opt in optional.
    I had the feeling that the 8.1 update was going to add that feature?

So no one is willing to mention any other OS? At least that seems unrealistic. At this stage this PC will just be for gaming and as DDO is the only game I play currently I guess its only for DDO.

I would like to see better load speeds and frame rates but an SSD may be something else I may invest in in the future (thinking of other future MMO's) or games such as Total war etc...

Do yourself a favor and get a solid state drive, if only to put Windows and DDO on if nothing else - it'll speed up your load times by 10x+!

The end of service packs for Windows 7 has already been announced (iirc). Windows 8 is most likely your best bet for any support for new things from Microsoft. I haven't tried it, but most comprehensive reviews from people (that I have read) say that windows 8 is not as bad as most of the hype. Like someone else said here, its basically Windows 7 with a new UI. There are lots of ways to restore the more traditional UI if its that important to you. Once that's done, its basically Win7.

Try to get the higher levels of the OS for home use, and you will avoid most problems. Higher levels mean more base OS access and that means you can mess with it and customize it for your use.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Default It does, but not the same

Quote Originally Posted by skorpeon View Post
    I had the feeling that the 8.1 update was going to add that feature?
    8.1 does add back the start button, but it doesn't have a menu. It just links to the start screen. I like the screen better because I can organize and have several more apps visible, but modern and traditional, than I ever could under the existing menu system.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    ^ This.

On my machine I use 7 , which will be fully supported till the end of 2015, and have no complaints. I installed 8 on my girlfriends computer along with startisback, a program which overhauls a lot of the annoying features that bugged me. You can get that or start8 up for under ten quid and get still get the performance increases.

If you do go for 8 (and I think you'd be right to) this video is essential viewing.

Last edited by blackdoguk; 10-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Greantun View Post
    Don't believe his cynical comment. Windows 8 and Windows 7 are almost identical. They have changed the start menu, etc, and added a new way to write applications that will work in both, but all the windows 7 apps that I have tried in windows 7 work just fine.

Since the prices are the same (and I checked also), I would go with windows 8, as the free update 8.1 is due in a couple weeks, and windows 8, in my experience, is about 2-3x faster in startup and shutdown, and in generally faster overall.
    I will buy a mac before I will put money into windows 8. I might use a pirated copy if I had to but I'd look for every other option first.