Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Well I specifically mocked people for stating how evolved they are compared to exploiters, if they made such statements. I wasn't attempting to justify exploiting, and I wasn't saying that people shouldn't express themselves if they have a gripe. It was a comment on HOW some people were expressing themselves, and the overall point of the post was to say "everyone calm down" (exploiters and non-exploiters alike) and "you may think your debates matters more than they really do."

I've made the dragons and orcs comment (or something similar to it) more than once recently. Both times it was not an attempt to say that exploiting is trivial. Both times it was said directly in response to people in these threads claiming to possess a special kind of maturity, and both times it was misconstrued. I'm over-explaining it now, but it seems necessary.
    Don't worry about it, if you didn't go all-out with agreeing with them, you are part of the problem. Even if you state explicitly that you don't condone the actions of those who may be dealt with for this issue. Mob rules and all.

I'm prolly gonna get pounced on for speaking my mind, so all's I got is that I firmly believe people should be punished accordingly, but to the level displayed in this thread, is what prompted my original comment. And I still stand by it. If they feel permabans are what is necessary, so be it. If its not handled that way, that is their prerogative. I understand this whole idea of "no cheaters should be playing" comment, but if we stretch this out all the way, I think just about everyone TRing is guilty of something that while may not be financially punitive, is still cheating nonetheless.

If you want to go there, lets go all the way.
    Science may be theory, but stupidity is proven.

Quote Originally Posted by Eistander View Post
    I am just disgusted with this holier-than-thou attitude that some posters are touting, as if not doing something in an online game makes them so much better than anyone else.
    I had a friend who cheated at golf. We all stopped playing with him after a while.

Games have rules for a reason. If people don't follow the rules, the game breaks down. Simple as that, whether you are playing Monopoly, basketball, or a MMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    It always amuses me, those that are so quick for a witch hunt forget it was failure to correct a problem that led to this in the first place. Failure to own up to it or say anything about it days after it was being posted far and wide (except deleting said mentions).

Yes, let's all blame the mouse that ran after the cheese left in the open. Nevermind who left the cheese on the table in the first place.

P.S. not condoning it, just saying Get real with your witch hunt people.
    Unlike mice, the people who did this made a conscious choice to do so. Blaming Turbine and saying it's their fault people cheated because they didn't prevent them from being able to do so is just silly.

Just been announced in game : Hotfix in 50 minutes.

Probably to kill the exploit.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    No, this is not like stealing in real life. But it is very much like cheating in real life. Ever seen what happens in a serious poker game when someone's been caught cheating?
    Or even a game of Monopoly or Risk with no money involved. Play a game for two hours, then discover one guy has been cheating and it ruins the whole game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Or even a game of Monopoly or Risk with no money involved. Play a game for two hours, then discover one guy has been cheating and it ruins the whole game.
    Getting a bit off-topic here, but this conflict between people who take rules seriously and those who don't always reminds me of the game Diplomacy. To make a long story short, you play it with friends or relatives -- and then at some point usually end up double-crossing them. I can still remember, oh 20 years ago, playing with a then-engaged couple who got into such a fight after the guy backstabbed the girl that I thought they were going to break up on the spot. He kept saying that it was part of the game to make and break alliances, while she took it VERY personally.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Just been announced in game : Hotfix in 50 minutes.

Probably to kill the exploit.
    Yay, during EU prime time /sigh
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    If Turbine continues this new policy of regularly banning cheaters, I'll spend MORE money... So go Turbine.

I highly recommend you publicize bannings. Not names, but let people they are happening to deter future cheating.
    Agreed, and I'll spend more money too.

Letting people know what is being done (e.g., that people are being banned, or that offending toons are being stripped of their plat and their gear) would help reassure those of us who care that this game is not being turned into a cheat-if-you want free for all.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Community Member

There seem to be a few people taking a "moral high ground" with this.

Anybody's actions in a a game do not reflect who they are as real people.

I put to you this:

A man approaches you in the street. He takes you to one side and explains that across the street there is a building. If you enter this building with an item in your pocket, when you leave there will be two. This will work with any item you can fit in your pocket. The man also tells you that you are free to tell who you like, but keep in mind that the more people who know about it the more noticeable the building will become and more likely to draw unwanted attention. He also mentions that anything created with this building is not stolen from another, it it merely created from nothing and that as long as you don't use it to profit from others, you will not be hurting anyone.

So what do you do?

Do you take the moral high ground and tell the authorities, despite working hard your entire life so far and barley doing more than surviving.

Do you copy what you need to make yourself comfortable for the foreseeable future and help your family to benefit from it too.

Do you copy whatever valuable you can find and sell it for as much as you could sell the originals for? Driving down the prices of those items in shops and retailers until they go bust?

I don't care who you are. Any person in this world would take the second option. There are a cruel few that would take the third. I don't know of anyone who would take the first ( as pointed out earlier in this thread, even Jesus decided to take something similar to the second option)
    I am a refugee of Devourer, abandoned by Coadmasters and washed up on the shores of the new world Thelanis under the rule of the Turbine empire. The locals are primative, the monsters are tough, and to survive in this savage land i must live by one philosophy... trust no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yay, during EU prime time /sigh
    Why do you think I was able to catch the broadcast ? ( 30 minutes now )

At least I'll have time to put some rocks in the small boxes I received yesterday.... Binocular evening instead of DDO evening.

Edit : and no this time I won't throw a tantrum about the timing.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Opensezame View Post

I put to you this:

A man approaches you in the street. He takes you to one side and explains that across the street there is a building. If you enter this building with an item in your pocket, when you leave there will be two. This will work with any item you can fit in your pocket. The man also tells you that you are free to tell who you like, but keep in mind that the more people who know about it the more noticeable the building will become and more likely to draw unwanted attention. He also mentions that anything created with this building is not stolen from another, it it merely created from nothing and that as long as you don't use it to profit from others, you will not be hurting anyone.

So what do you do?

Do you take the moral high ground and tell the authorities, despite working hard your entire life so far and barley doing more than surviving.

Do you copy what you need to make yourself comfortable for the foreseeable future and help your family to benefit from it too.

Do you copy whatever valuable you can find and sell it for as much as you could sell the originals for? Driving down the prices of those items in shops and retailers until they go bust?

I don't care who you are. Any person in this world would take the second option. There are a cruel few that would take the third. I don't know of anyone who would take the first ( as pointed out earlier in this thread, even Jesus decided to take something similar to the second option)
    Some people have integrity. Aside from integrity, would a full on hardcore roleplayer betray their lawful good alignment?

Community Member Mephisto-Helix's Avatar

People will spend more money because of bannings? Oh please, you little fibbers, go feed that manure to some ogres.
    - Founder -
    : DemonSaints of Orien :

Intha - Rituals - Skyquake - Diesektor - Nephlym

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    Some people have integrity. Aside from integrity, would a full on hardcore roleplayer betray their lawful good alignment?
    I like this... I wish I had created an option for each ddo alignment now lol
    I am a refugee of Devourer, abandoned by Coadmasters and washed up on the shores of the new world Thelanis under the rule of the Turbine empire. The locals are primative, the monsters are tough, and to survive in this savage land i must live by one philosophy... trust no one.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Unlike mice, the people who did this made a conscious choice to do so. Blaming Turbine and saying it's their fault people cheated because they didn't prevent them from being able to do so is just silly.
    I shouldn't have used a comparison, it almost never justifies the point trying to be made.

Point is I didn't/don't condone it, especially to the levels it was taken and the speed at which it got to those levels. However, previously certain "features" were left in game unchecked for elongated periods of time before they were handled and/or disiplinary actions taken. That can be considered entraptment. Furthermore, the levels of rage on this one have gone to ludicrous speed.

Lastly, I am a bit surprised at how quickly this is seeming to find a resolution. I guess it "felt" a bit longer since it reached such absurd levels so quickly. A bit uncharactaristic, but then again it does involve a big money maker for them.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Default Downtime

Any idea how long?
    * * * Koneka * * *
    --- Lunarko ------------------ Koneka ------------------ Lunako ---

I put to you this:

So what do you do?

^^^^
    agreed

Lawful Good

Chaotic Good

Chaotic Evil

I put to you this:

So what do you do?

what about the fourth option...walking away from a stranger offering things to good to be true?
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Quote Originally Posted by DeKalbSun View Post
    what about the fourth option...walking away from a stranger offering things to good to be true?
    People who take this option in life stay in their comfortable hobbit holes and never have any adventures.

I put to you this:

So what do you do?

The thing you seem to be ignoring is the topic title, and why it was necessary to close the ASAH. People weren't taking the second option, and there were threads posted on these forums of people taking the first. The issue is, people were choosing the third option. So, to put your post in context, nothing should be done because somebody might have chosen 2?

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast