Default Introduce the Leadership Feat!

Here is my suggestion (yes it's a rehash of an old one but that is several years old and the tech is more available for it):

Provide the leadership feat as a choice for those that want it. What it would do is this:
    The henchman would mostly act like the pet for the Artis and the druids.

It would start at whatever level you took the leadership feat at, and gain levels as you did, like the pets do if you go straight class.

As the henchman leveled you would have full choice of its feats. Enhancements would be similar to the pet enhancement lines.

If it is a caster you have the choice of at least 2 of its spells per spell level.

The player has full access to editing the "hireling" hotbar with any/all of the abilities available to the henchman.

You can view the henchmen's inventory screen, and can give them equipment just like you can with the pets. The inventory would most likely be limited to armor/docent, 2 weap slots. Yes they could be weap/shield

The henchman would count as a full character for the purposes of dungeon scaling, but would still not be allowed in raids.

While the henchman was active, you would not be able to use a hireling contract of the same class, unless it was a gold seal hireling.

If all of this is too complex to program, then the feat would act this way:

The feat would have 4 subfeats: summon caster, summon healer, summon rogue, summon melee.

These subfeats would summon the hireling contract of your level for whatever subfeat you clicked. For example if you are level 13 and clicked summon rogue, it would call the level 13 rogue hireling. These would only be able to be called at the entrance to a dungeon like normal hirelings.

Picking one of the henchmen would lock the other classes out for a cooldown TBD. Alternately, you would pick what kind of henchman you could summon when you choose the feat. This would be a permanent choice.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Not trying to be rude... but isn't there already a hireling system?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-Hawkeye View Post
    Not trying to be rude... but isn't there already a hireling system?
    Yes, but this would let you have permanent access to them and customize them. Also, it would ideally mean that you could build one to fill the holes in your character's build. Or at the very least it would let you disable traps on a non-trappy class and not let you worry about contracts running out.

So now we have hirelings that don't take up a party slot, don't contribute to deaths (nor do pets) and.. right.

So I suppose the game is hard enough that we need 6 players and 6+ npc's in a given quest.

Having said that, 6 random healers running around would be pretty funny.
    Still, /not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    So now we have hirelings that don't take up a party slot, don't contribute to deaths (nor do pets) and.. right.

So I suppose the game is hard enough that we need 6 players and 6+ npc's in a given quest.

Having said that, 6 random healers running around would be pretty funny.
    Still, /not signed.
    They would take up a party slot just like a normal hireling

Community Member

Youre talking about basically a whole new subsystem for the price of one feat? this would be everyones automatic choice at L1, its grossly overpowered. Hirelings already have good stats and innate affixes...being able to equip a hire with, say, dual lifestealing weaps or an eSoS plus dscale armor would make them way too powerful. likewise, pocket trapper devalues actual trappers, especially in heroic.