Community Member

Default ... with no Bard levels

I'm making the assumption that with no levels in Bard the majority of Fatesinger abilities are unusable, am I correct? I'm hoping against hope that the "+2 songs" granted by Core Ability 0 give any old toon at least 2 songs, but I doubt it. Just wondering how much pain I'm in for trying to get through that ED.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool View Post
    I'm making the assumption that with no levels in Bard the majority of Fatesinger abilities are unusable, am I correct? I'm hoping against hope that the "+2 songs" granted by Core Ability 0 give any old toon at least 2 songs, but I doubt it. Just wondering how much pain I'm in for trying to get through that ED.
    Yeap. When you are in fatesinger, open up your feats tab. you'll find that Inspire Courage has been granted. However, only one of the two icons will work. So you will have songs that are usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool View Post
    You'll get inspire courage from the destiny, and it grants the bonus songs that you can use for dirge and the other abilities. It's not that bad. There's utility in there for any class. It's not as powerful as Legendary/Fury/Shiradi/Draconic for classes, but there's something in there for everyone.

Community Member

Oh good. I had this mental image of my sorcerer running around with a lute in battle saying, "Anyone know how to play this? Someone? Help?"

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

My mechanicarty loves Fatesinger - Tailwind is practically designed for a repeater, and Reign is also awesome with a repeater because of how quickly vorpals hit.

My tempest ranger also loves Fatesinger - Reign is pretty danged nice with 100% offhand proc!

Plus hey, who doesn't like a little bit of Inspire Courage when there's not a real bard around? And both versions of IC that you get in your feat list seemed to work for me.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

I've just started leveling my 1st life pure arti, caster/range focus thorugh Fatesinger and had a look at some of these. I agree IC is nice if there is no bard but it only lasts 4 mins.

Dirge doesn't seem like it's doing a significant amount of damage, nothing seems to work to increase the damage - no spellcraft, sonic/neg damage increasing items or DC increasing effects.... Unless I'm missing something I think I'll stick to my blade barrier or TD for crowd control and use the songs for IC when I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by LrdSlvrhnd View Post
    My mechanicarty loves Fatesinger - Tailwind is practically designed for a repeater, and Reign is also awesome with a repeater because of how quickly vorpals hit.

Tailwind gives a competence bonus to damage doesn't it? This won't stack with deadly or the wind howler bracers.

Reign looks like more fun... I just haven't got there yet. The echo's also look intersting.

Are there any twists in here for a non bard that I hould be looking at when I move on?

Fatesinger was one of my favorite "works for anyone" EDs.

Tailwind blows, BTW, it doesn't stack.

However, Reign, Echoes, etc. are all solid. It also comes with a no-save CC effect in Siren's Song - and frankly that is hugely helpful on plenty of builds.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

its not a bad ED but its just so WEAK and entirely relaint on IC but without Bard the songs are so short its just pointless even my DC-Dumped Battle Wiz would rather be a DI or Magister as far as the Arcane Sphere goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    its not a bad ED but its just so WEAK and entirely relaint on IC but without Bard the songs are so short its just pointless even my DC-Dumped Battle Wiz would rather be a DI or Magister as far as the Arcane Sphere goes.
    Yeah but leveling through it was always not-horrid, and that's my point. Melee toons, casters, whatever ... everyone could find something neat in there for me so far.

No one stays in it, for whoever's sake ... but leveling through it wasn't as bad as other combos.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Fatesinger was one of my favorite "works for anyone" EDs.

Tailwind blows, BTW, it doesn't stack.

However, Reign, Echoes, etc. are all solid. It also comes with a no-save CC effect in Siren's Song - and frankly that is hugely helpful on plenty of builds.
    My (admittedly less-than-scientific) testing proved to me at least that it stacks with Deadly - my numbers on the dummy dropped appreciably in the time between Tailwind's timer expiring and IC's timer expiring, and then dropped (slightly) again once IC's timer expired. This was using a plain deconned shortbow and, I believe, Deadly VII to have the smallest range I could think of. IMHO, this is one of those "separate sources stack" situations - ED competence stacks with item competence. So you may think it blows, but from where I sit it's +9 damage every time I pull the trigger on a repeater while Tailwind is active.

And the 4 minute duration? Plenty of stuff in Fatesinger increases song duration. Aria. Several of the Echoes stances (DI, Magister, Shadowdancer, PA, SC). Fragment of the Song: Clarity. It's not hard to find an otherwise-useful Echo with +20% duration. It's only 2 AP to get Aria 1 and Clarity 1 for another +20%. That's 5:36. With 15 songs, my mechanicarti's never had issues keeping IC/Tailwind and Reign going at all times with several (admittedly careful) uses of Siren's Song/Chord of Disruption. My ranger doesn't generally bother with IC because the +2 damage on every swing (+1 for each weapon) just doesn't compare to the +12 (+1 from IC, +3 from Tailwind, x3 bolts) damage with ever trigger pull so it's kind of a waste for him, which means he can use SS that more often. And lemme tell ya, a CoD with a few stacks of Harmonic Resonance can really hurt something!

And no, I wouldn't bother with dirge on either of 'em. On a non-bard, it just doesn't have the duration to make it worthwhile (and on a primarily ranged character, you just hafta get in way too close...). And since it's not considered a spell, or even an SLA, spellpower does NOT affect it at all. My guild got a new airship the other night, and got a dummy with the increased spots, so my bard was playing with dirge last night, testing spellpower. Oddly, for the longest time, it was consistently doing +30 damage/tick more when she *removed* her Resonance item than when she had it equipped lol Like, 8 times of dirging with and then without it, it did that. It was rather odd, but then I had a few times of the high numbers with Resonance, and the low numbers without, enough to convince me it was random and the spellpower wasn't affecting it.

For my money, Fatesinger is an excellent "general" ED. My bard loves it (probably kinda obviously...). My primarily-ranged character loves it. My primarily-melee character loves it. Don't have a caster to try it on, but I could see a caster not loving it, but not really hating it either. Not like the slog through some off-EDs can be (my tempest quite literally cried every time I put him in SC...)
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Community Member

Yes, it gives you songs however because ranks in perform are probably low and unless you play a class that requires Charisma that will probably be low as well. So yes you can use songs however they are of minimal benefit unless you increase both Perform and Charisma.