Hybrid View

Default This year's geeky cake -- Owlbear!

So, I have started a tradition where I make a friend of mine a geeky cake every year for his birthday. The first year, it was a Beholder. Last year, it was a gelatinous cube.

This year, it was an owlbear! This is chocolate cake sculpted by hand (well knife. but no special pans), frosted in the front with peanut butter frosting, in the back with chocolate buttercream. The eyes, beak, and claws are modelling chocolate. All made from scratch.

It was a hit! Very very tasty, and very fun for my first time sculpting cake! (I don't count the beholder, really. Cutting those arms was really easy, and the eyes are cupcakes) More pictures of this and the other cakes here: http://shadowdream.com/gallery2/v/baking/cakes/ (I love the picture of its head on a platter. hehe. It stares at you when you open the fridge, at the moment)

Next year, I'm thinking a dragon. I'm thinking big too, should I have the time. Cake sparkler blowing flame and everything. Put some miniatures made of chocolate down in front and let the flame melt them. Maybe a wizzy with a shield made of ice or blown sugar. We'll see.
    Characters of note:
    Cannith --Smudge, Lillari, Thrallia, Urja
    Thelanis -- Magarette, Nuadia, Kerta, Sayata, Urja

Awesome!

Thanks!
    Characters of note:

Who does your taxes?

That looks delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Awesome!
    Indeed.

That Owlbear head picture is good. Winter Festivult Cookie good, if I may say so...

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Were you able to get it through the door?

Ok, that cake is A-mazing!
    Deedeeo- 18th life Completionist (12monk/6Ranger/2Artificer) ~ Sonos- 3rd life Artificer (sorc, bard PLs) ~ Tronsector- 3rd Life Wizard
    Flavored Soul- 2nd life Sorc(FVS PL). (and umpteen bank toons and experiments) Member of Synergia(lvl100)-Argonessen

Awesome work, but how could you bring yourself to eat something so nice?
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Smile

Finally, for once the owlbear is not a stupid monster!

Whhhhoooooo is tasty and delicious?

Great monster cake. Thanks for sharing!

I like how you made the icing look like fur! Good job~

Woah, you must be a fabulous patissiere.

Community Member

Wow, this cake is awesome. Well done!

Holy Swiss Cheese Bat Man!!!

The Owl Bear is absolutely spectacular.

When you posted the others the last two years my reaction was something like, "Hey that's cute and clever. I bet they had fun."

This year it's more like. "WotC or Turbine should hire you to cater their events!"
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Default this is awsome

this is amazing hehe hmmmmmmmm you could start a business like cake boss hehe the detail is amazing id like to order a lollth cake plz :P
    Demons run when a good man goes to war

Quote Originally Posted by Weyborn View Post
    Wow

Quote Originally Posted by DemonStorm333 View Post
    this is amazing hehe hmmmmmmmm you could start a business like cake boss hehe the detail is amazing id like to order a lollth cake plz :P
    Oh I wish! I'm going to school for culinary management at the moment, actually. Hoping in the next 5 years to have a cheese shop/restaurant/bakery, and get to get paid for doing this kind of thing once in a while. I bake for a farm market, but I don't really get to do the geeky stuff there.

As to the Lolth cake, I already have plans for something like that. A friend requested a drider cake for his birthday next August. Have you ever seen those silly Barbie cakes? Basically they make a dress out of cake and stick a Barbie in it. (I've always thought it seemed dirty, but then my mind lives in the gutter.. so maybe it's just me) I was thinking of doing similar for a drider or Lolth cake. Take a Ken doll and paint him up drow, and stick him on a spider body. Alternatively, take a barbie and paint her up drow, put her in some scanty clothing, and stick her in the cake. We'll see. *grins* Either that or I'll get fancy and sculpt it out of modelling chocolate or something like that.
    Characters of note: