Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

That Owlbear Cake is Awesome! 'Nough said.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

Very awesome! How did you sculpt the "fur" for the owlbear cake with a knife? It looks really hard...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterHops View Post
    That Owlbear Cake is Awesome! 'Nough said.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by learst View Post
    Very awesome! How did you sculpt the "fur" for the owlbear cake with a knife? It looks really hard...
    I sculpted the cake with a knife, then frosted it. I didn't have a grass frosting tip like I wanted for the fur, so I used one of the drop flower tips and just pulled them out to a long point and layered them like fur would lay (started with the lowest layer and built on top of that). The feathers were done similarly with a leaf tip. The feathers took a LONG time. Each and every feather went on one at a time. Oof.

Not super difficult. Just time consuming.

First off, AWESOME!!! and I am jealous.

Any chance you can post a video or step-by-step w/pictures and commentary (What went well, do differently, insights, ect...). It is that freaking amazing. My wife is always asking me what I want for my B-day, now I know thanks to you

If you want to get started on the Dragon early and do the above (video or step-by-step), I am sure none of us would complain. You could call it a trial run

Ok, showed the wife....she loves it also

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Your skills are improving.

The beholder cake was like something I could make. I used to make cakes for my kids birthdays. My wife could not believe some of me whacky ideas. All my cakes looked OK, but you could tell that I was not a master.

The Gelatinous Cube cake looked very cubey.

But the Owlbear Cake is truly epic. The amount of time it took you to frost it, had to be forever.

I certainly hope your friends appreciate the amount of time you spend on your craft.

That is truly an amazing piece of art for a gamer.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

Well blarg, wrong account again.
    Last edited by Amaille; 10-12-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Your skills are improving.

The beholder cake was like something I could make. I used to make cakes for my kids birthdays. My wife could not believe some of me whacky ideas. All my cakes looked OK, but you could tell that I was not a master.

The Gelatinous Cube cake looked very cubey.

But the Owlbear Cake is truly epic. The amount of time it took you to frost it, had to be forever.

I certainly hope your friends appreciate the amount of time you spend on your craft.

That is truly an amazing piece of art for a gamer.

Thank you very much. It did take a few hours. The fur went REALLY quickly, so I thought the feathers would too... I was wrong! heh. Add to that having REALLY warm hands and having to rechill the frosting often. The feathers were really annoying.

They do. And I'll admit, it's as much for me as for them. I get an excuse to create fun things, they get a really cool cake.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    First off, AWESOME!!! and I am jealous.

Any chance you can post a video or step-by-step w/pictures and commentary (What went well, do differently, insights, ect...). It is that freaking amazing. My wife is always asking me what I want for my B-day, now I know thanks to you

If you want to get started on the Dragon early and do the above (video or step-by-step), I am sure none of us would complain. You could call it a trial run

Ok, showed the wife....she loves it also

Oof. When I'm not going to school full time AND working, maybe I'll have the time to, as it stands, not right now. Do a search for sculpted lion cake. That was my inspiration as to shape, but when I got going, I just ended up winging it. It took two loaf pans and one round pan. (though I have about a loaf pan of scraps left, I still needed all three to begin with.) Use somewhat thinned buttercream as glue to keep the pieces together, and crumb coat the whole thing when you're done. Keep skewers on hand to stick through in case it decides that still isn't enough to hold it together. (this had at least 5 skewers in it, holding the legs, head, and butt on.)

Modelling chocolate is a wonderful thing. 1lb of white chocolate chips, 1/4 cup of corn syrup, and gel/paste coloring. DON'T use candy melts. They will set up ok, but will melt super quick while working on them. I learned that the hard way.

Leaf tips make good feathers, grass tips make good fur, but if you don't have grass tips, a drop flower tip will work in a pinch. (that's what I ended up using.) Don't try the basket tip or the star type tips, they don't work well. Start at the bottom and work your way up, layering the fur or feathers. You want each layer to overlap the other to give it a natural appearance.

There are TONS of good resources out there. Cakecentral.com has a lot of neat stuff and great forums. Serious cakes on youtube is FANTASTIC for learning piping ideas, especially flowers. And this is the page where the inspiration for the dragon came from. http://cakefixation.blogspot.com/201...agon-cake.html (mine will have NO fondant as I HATE HATE HATE the taste of the stuff. Stale marshmallows. ICK. And it will be more "realistic" instead of cutesy. But the same idea, and it's VERY cool. )

Don't be afraid to experiment and test things beforehand. It's the only way to learn.

Hope this helps! Someday I plan on a blog with all my baking stuff, but right now I just don't have the time! If ya'll have any more questions, just PM me.

Thanks so much for the compliments, both you and your wifey. Good luck!
    Characters of note:
    Cannith --Smudge, Lillari, Thrallia, Urja
    Thelanis -- Magarette, Nuadia, Kerta, Sayata, Urja

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12