Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Well, right, but the question was why dont people wait to sell it at a higher price once the economy levels off. They are avoiding being caught red handed with their ill gotten gains.
    It's easier to keep a secret when 1 person knows about it. The more people who know, the faster it will get around. If I had to guess, that is what happened. From reading stuff on forums, this has been around for close to a year. But everyone is just hearing about it now, most likely because someone told someone who told someone who told someone.

Now I'm not condoning what is being done, but I can't change it either, so won't let it bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by mudfud View Post
    It's easier to keep a secret when 1 person knows about it. The more people who know, the faster it will get around. If I had to guess, that is what happened. From reading stuff on forums, this has been around for close to a year. But everyone is just hearing about it now, most likely because someone told someone who told someone who told someone.

Now I'm not condoning what is being done, but I can't change it either, so won't let it bother me.
    I thought it was here before but got fixed, actually Im sure that is how it was, now it is back.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Because they are stupid.
    Many people are waiting. That's why this is actually much worse than most realize right now. By now there are probably hundreds of thousands of these extra items sitting in accounts all over the place.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default But they were my best customers!

Just because 20 flawless green are under 1 million plat doesn't make them worth anything. You can still farm 20 green scales in a day. To me that still makes them worthless. The price someone wants to pay for something is what makes the prices go higher or lower. So only people willing to not farm for there own things are the people taking advantage of the stuff offered on the AH now for such a discounted price.

Turbine won't say anything as you well know. They don't and won't comment on exploits plain and simple. I even saw a comment somewhere over the weekend from a Gm saying everything was working as intended.

To me, someone doing or using it will not hurt me, I will still do my own thing regardless. To people wanting to take advantage of an easy button, remember they will have to deal with the consequences if they feel what they are doing is wrong.

If/when it gets changed we will all know in some way shape or form.
    But the Easy Button folk were my best customers! Actually I don't know whom my customers were. Upon reflection I got used to the easy money. I see the glass as half full tho. I will farm Ioun stones to sell now

I do want to comment it seems like a pain to farm 20 green scales ina day. I've run that quest lots of times and never got 1 to drop. So when I saw all the red and green scales out there so cheap in quantity it makes my newb mouth drop open in astonishment!
    Last edited by Livmo; 10-07-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Sounds like the same thing when we could sell wands and stuff from Crystal Cove.

There's a thread in the archives somewhere were people were saying that it would flood the economy with platinum and prices would go crazy and only the people who had been able to sell their crystal cove stuff would be able to afford anything.

I'm sure it did affect the price of things for a while, but I can't see any permanent damage.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Sounds like the same thing when we could sell wands and stuff from Crystal Cove.
    I wasn't there then but I know the story, and there's a difference -- that exploit resulted in a ton of currency coming into the game, resulting in a general inflation of the cost of all items. This is affecting only specific items, which have been made many multiples more common than they were before.

In time the impact will be reduced, but my guess is that the former value of these items will never return.

There's a thread in the archives somewhere were people were saying that it would flood the economy with platinum and prices would go crazy and only the people who had been able to sell their crystal cove stuff would be able to afford anything.

I'm sure it did affect the price of things for a while, but I can't see any permanent damage.
    There is a big difference in plat capping your account and having 10,000 of every ingredient, 10,000 of every collectible, 10,000 of every Christmas cookie and 10,000 of every augment.

If this is as widespread and it is working as people say it is, this dwarfs any other “bug” we have ever seen. Even if the economy survives this, Turbines economy may not. If you have an infinite amount of ebberon dragon shards, you will never need a man pot, xp pot, rest shrine again (from the store or asah). This directly hurts Turbines bottom line, and this affects everyone.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    Even if the economy survives this, Turbines economy may not. If you have an infinite amount of ebberon dragon shards, you will never need a man pot, xp pot, rest shrine again (from the store or asah). This directly hurts Turbines bottom line, and this affects everyone.
    Great point. Please fix this so I that I can pay for potions again.

For me, money not spent on pots is just money spent elsewhere in the game.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default As tempting as it seems

There is a big difference in plat capping your account and having 10,000 of every ingredient, 10,000 of every collectible, 10,000 of every Christmas cookie and 10,000 of every augment.

If this is as widespread and it is working as people say it is, this dwarfs any other “bug” we have ever seen. Even if the economy survives this, Turbines economy may not. If you have an infinite amount of ebberon dragon shards, you will never need a man pot, xp pot, rest shrine again (from the store or asah). This directly hurts Turbines bottom line, and this affects everyone.
    As tempting as it seems, I'm lawful good and will stay true to my alignment and not partake.

Community Member

What if someone who did this never bought store xp pots, store sp pots or rest shrines. Then them supposedly doing it won't make a difference to turbines income, it would only be a personal gain.

What if someone who did this never bought store xp pots, store sp pots or rest shrines. Then them supposedly doing it won't make a difference to turbines income, it would only be a personal gain.
    Even if Johnny good guy does not take part in the “bug”, he may pay 20 plat for a stack of 100 dragonshards. Definitely more economical for him and nor spending tp. I am also not saying that Turbine will never sell an xp or mana pot again, but I would be very interested to see the numbers.

Quick question. Not in game but if I remember the store offers 25 xp pots (20% for 6 hours) and they cost roughly 5,000 tp. If you looked at the ah and saw that you could either pay 100k plat (for the equivalent in dragon shards) or the 5000 tp, what would you do? This is not a moral question to anyone here, but I think the answer is obvious to if not the people here, the other 95% in game.

LEGION

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Not sure about this. Eventually you end up with no demand for the items.

I've been running about with 10k of every type of lesser essence for the past 6 or 9 months, maybe longer. Once I capped out all my crafting levels I've no longer got a use for them, but I still crunch down junk.

If it's really as bad as you say then all that will happen is that Turbine will fix whatever the bug is and introduce a new currency item, like Epic Badger Nostrils. This new currency will be the only one that matters and they'll devalue all of the other stuff.

If this has been going on for some time without drawing any attention then I'm sure whoever told whoever who flooded the Sarlona AH and ASAH will be happy that the gig is up. Now it's been brought to people's attention, the devs have a reason to run scripts to review the various logs.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

The best solution I've saw to any sort of exploit discussion was one I noticed on EVE recently - big long dev post on the launcher explaining what the exploit was and how it was done, and warning that logs have been put in place that anyone doing it will be banned. By making it crystal clear what the exploit is - with log in place to track who's doing it! - gives people fair warning that they can't "accidentally" exploit. Obviously the best solution is a full fix, but as a stop-gap measure that seems quite effective.

Maybe that's what today's emergency update was for? Maybe Turbine have put logs in place and whoever is putting this stuff on the AH is in for a nasty surprise

This hasn't been around for anywhere near that long.

2 months ago, this process caused items to be wiped completely. I would link the thread, but it appears Turbine just deleted it.

This whole mess has come from poor bug fix testing.

Yes, there's a point in playing, considering the issue you're talking about doesn't affect gameplay.

Additionally, it's an exploit that will undoubtedly be fixed in the near future. Just live with it for now.
    Cannith: Capricorpus (triple all heroic/iconic/epic past lives, no stones) / Capiorcorpus / Capicorpus / Capricopus / Iconless the Hero

Not sure about this. Eventually you end up with no demand for the items.
    No demand for 20% xp pots or mana trinkets? Not to mention that you can plat cap your account with this bug as well.

LEGION

Default Sigh

I hope they are able to monitor it and start banning accounts.

Also explains the 7 LDS I bought a week ago for 100k (Sold 4 of them for 100 shards).
    Last edited by Tolero; 10-07-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnly_LightInDark View Post
    I hope they are able to monitor it and start banning accounts.

Also explains the 7 LDS I bought a week ago for 100k (Sold 4 of them for 100 shards).
    Dont think they will ban anyone, its too widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Just heard a rumor that there is a dev that plays on sarlona and this exploit was their pet project and it escaped the bottle.
    Thats a lie, did you ever see dev on live server?

Many claim they have dev accounts for work and home accounts to play. I don't know if it's true or not but I find it technically plausible if not probable.

lol, they even play the game? .

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Even if this has existed for a while, the cat is out of the bag now. The silent treatment isn't going to cut it.
    I like what you did there. The dragon scales/augments and other stuff been coming out of the bags too
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 10-07-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast