Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

The crystal cove wand for plat issue wasn't an exploit, but an oversight.

This current issue however is definitely an exploit. Because it involves transactions with the character bank, this exploit is track-able.

This exploit existed before, and was fixed. What probably happened is probably similar to the pale master death ward bug that was re-introduced due to poor software version control. <gives head a shake>

So exploiters beware!

History shows that there will be no (intentional) mass bans. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see some bans just to set an example, and satisfy us plebs. Unfortunately, the bans will probably not be permanent, but a slap on the wrist. Turbine wants to keep its paying customers after all.

Not too worried about it myself, as this is just a game after all. But I do understand that this issue impacts the way some of us enjoy the game.

...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

Community Member

There are items now selling for 1/100th of what they sold for a week ago. People who had rare items that could only be obtained from an EE raid now find them in huge stacks on the AH dirt cheap.

Response from Turbine? Nothing.

Community Member

Wow wasn't expecting this much of a response, and popped onto Sarlona a little bit ago and they are really really bad but Khyber is making its way there. (Argo seems to completely unaffected... Strange).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *fist shake* "Back in my day, we had to run the Coalescence Chamber up hill both ways! There wasn't even snow and the only slippery ice you could find was sleet storm! We had to imagine what snow would look like at Festivult time, and we liked it!"
    http://soundboards.cubicleninja.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnly_LightInDark View Post
    I hope they are able to monitor it and start banning accounts.
    Don't hold your breath. At mos there would maybe be a 3 day slap on the wrist, but telling people "you're not allowed to give us money anymore" isn't in Turbines interest.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Response from Turbine? Nothing.
    Well this at least is something. I'm sure it will be wrong in some way for you though.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    Well this at least is something. I'm sure it will be wrong in some way for you though.
    Yay!!!! finally acknowledgement of the issue!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *fist shake* "Back in my day, we had to run the Coalescence Chamber up hill both ways! There wasn't even snow and the only slippery ice you could find was sleet storm! We had to imagine what snow would look like at Festivult time, and we liked it!"
    http://soundboards.cubicleninja.com/

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    What is the point of this nonsensical comment? When I posted that they hadn't said a word, they hadn't said a word. I'm glad they've finally done something, even if it's at least two days too late.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I can't do anything about it.. other than cancel my subscription and go Premium. Which I intend to do. I am also right now downloading another MMO, the first I've tried since starting DDO in 2011. That's my comment on this exploit and how Turbine has chosen to handle it.

Whether they see more money from me again is entirely up to them. I'm not quitting, but I'm also not going to financially support a game company that can't even maintain the basic integrity of their own product. They need to get their act together. Soon[tm].
    Hi Welcome.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Default hmmm....

i really only see them going after the ones who abused the shard AH, i dont think ppl wud stop buying points or otto boxes when avail. i do infact see the problem with the sales of EXP pots being purchased, that could be their main target for a threat. saving players from months of farming for some and only weeks for others will not break the game, but with the exploit it will make more players able to acquire items to help boost up there toon. item cost value will be lowered alot. plat farmers will have to fight even harder and prolly move on.

u will still have to run shroud 20x per item u want to wear, even if u have 500 tier 3 items. even if u have 25 swords of shadow scrolls,seals and shards u still need to get the base item. only thing can really hurt enough for a roll back was the items needed for the exp pots. i kinda see this as a way for ppl to cut off most plat farmers.

the game will go on, unless u wanted to help your self too much with the shard exchange.
    Officer of STORM LORDS

KREYLIA/TRAPSIN/DEZINIGOMOH/FREEHEALER/SMECKZY/IMDEADLY

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    lol, they even play the game? .
    beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    They made their bed on this by installing a real money AH (regardless of intermediate currency semantics) into their game.
    Have to agree with Chai on this one, i remember there being a lot of argument against this being introduced, many knew it would jump up and bite someone in the butt, guess turbine didn't expect it to be them bitten.
    IMO leave it switched off, give players back there loot and leave it off, problem solved
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The p2w clouds the ability to just shut er down and roll er back as a simple solution. I brought this up in a few discussions on the subject, but of course like everything else, it was casually dismissed just like most things which are currently happening which I brought up in discussion ~3 years ago or so.

Will Turbines rollback include refunding all the money used to buy points bought to buy shards in order to buy things off the asah? If they roll back, and it affects people who bought points to buy items, people will claim if it were not for said item being on sale so cheap, they would not have bought the points to buy the shards to purchase the item in the first place. WHen point purchases and shard purchases are made to buy specific items, which get destroyed in the rollback, they would need to do money refunds, not just point refunds or shard refunds.

Due to real money AH (regardless of intermediate currency semantics) the ability to simply roll back and immediately fix such chicanery is clouded at best. They made their bed on this by installing a real money AH (regardless of intermediate currency semantics) into their game.
    Chai, posts were cubed on this since u19...

They knew. They still know. Its still going on, they still havent stopped it. But they sold a ton of storage space and astral shards .

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    Of course most the posts are purely speculative. However, I doubt a single player or let alone a solid guild of 100 players could amass that many Large Devil Scales.
    I had 100+ tier 3 shroud ingredients from 20+ toons running shroud 2X a week for many years, and i know that i'm not the only one.
    If they dare touch those a bunch of lawsuits would ensue.
    Weird thing is, how people vieuw their security, if i would have partaken in this new feature i would have made sure to have done it on a different account.
    Same on this forum account, if they ban me i loose a crypt opener, big deal, i'm not willing to endanger 6.5 years of hard work on the whims of a disgruntled dev who has put some of these features in the game in the first place, nor on the lack of communication on the launcher, since maybe 10% bothered to check the forum. (before the forum changes, i see it's even less now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Not sure about this. Eventually you end up with no demand for the items.

I've been running about with 10k of every type of lesser essence for the past 6 or 9 months, maybe longer. Once I capped out all my crafting levels I've no longer got a use for them, but I still crunch down junk.

If it's really as bad as you say then all that will happen is that Turbine will fix whatever the bug is and introduce a new currency item, like Epic Badger Nostrils. This new currency will be the only one that matters and they'll devalue all of the other stuff.

If this has been going on for some time without drawing any attention then I'm sure whoever told whoever who flooded the Sarlona AH and ASAH will be happy that the gig is up. Now it's been brought to people's attention, the devs have a reason to run scripts to review the various logs.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

The best solution I've saw to any sort of exploit discussion was one I noticed on EVE recently - big long dev post on the launcher explaining what the exploit was and how it was done, and warning that logs have been put in place that anyone doing it will be banned. By making it crystal clear what the exploit is - with log in place to track who's doing it! - gives people fair warning that they can't "accidentally" exploit. Obviously the best solution is a full fix, but as a stop-gap measure that seems quite effective.

Maybe that's what today's emergency update was for? Maybe Turbine have put logs in place and whoever is putting this stuff on the AH is in for a nasty surprise
    I doubt it, turbine can't afford to lose more players. it's already boring enough as it is, waiting 30 min for a shroud to fill, only to see it disband with 4 people in the group. (and don't blame this thing, this has been going on since the start of U19 and people still need shards to craft.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnly_LightInDark View Post
    I hope they are able to monitor it and start banning accounts.

Also explains the 7 LDS I bought a week ago for 100k (Sold 4 of them for 100 shards).
    so you bought something for a price you knew was too good to be true...

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Many claim they have dev accounts for work and home accounts to play. I don't know if it's true or not but I find it technically plausible if not probable.
    I know one that plays (rarely) on argo, but i'm suprised, if they did play, one would assume they would know the sorry state they brought the game into the last couple of years.
    Last edited by lyrecono; 10-08-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: gorgot something

If a rollback happens - I'm cancelling my sub, not wasting all the XP and progress I made in the time whatever bug you are talking about has been out

Punish those who need punishing not the rest of us

Community Member

They are not rollbaccking the server I hope. That make no sense at all.
    Ill just sadly quit in the case... the would be the final sign that the team has lost cotrol of bugs and exploiters

Im 100% for some permabans this time an not

the "If the game permits to do it its not an exploit" policy

I would be shocked if they rolled back.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post

so you bought something for a price you knew was too good to be true...

What is wrong with that?
    Maybe he thought someone missed a zero, I once bought planar gird for 60k, when normal price was 600k.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mudfud View Post
    What if someone who did this never bought store xp pots, store sp pots or rest shrines. Then them supposedly doing it won't make a difference to turbines income, it would only be a personal gain.
    That's not a valid argument. At least morally.
    It's the same as making a pirate copy and argueing you'd never buy the original anyway.
    You use it without having the right to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    What is wrong with that?
    Maybe he thought someone missed a zero, I once bought planar gird for 60k, when normal price was 600k.
    what is wrong with that? uhmmm, too good to be true, and thinking that some one missed a zero is a very nice excuse, i bet a few people will say the same when returning after the bans.

btw, 600k for a planar gird?????

Community Member

Here's the thing: I know what exploit is being talked about, and yet, it hasn't impacted my playing at all. My characters still go through adventures normally and score those sweet, sweet riposte, rapid shot and ghostbane XVIIIIIIII weapons. I look on the AH and there is still nothing worth buying. I"m still saving tons of platinum because I vendor everything and there is nothing to buy. AH prices are still the same. So I don't really see the problem. What? Is is affecting the Astral Shard Exchange? If so, boo freaking hoo. The ASH was a terrible idea in the first place and never should have made it out of committee, let alone to Live.

TL;DR: This is not even close to game breaking. Get over it. Go play.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast