Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    One thing I forgot to point out: Fortification.

If you are lucky by lvl 8 you can get a fortification 60% item, which cuts down on crits you receive. Crafting a Moderate Fortification item gives you 75%.
    On my first lives I limped along with no fortification at all until I hit level 9, when I immediately farmed up nightforge gorget. But yeah, in the meantime a ring with any amount of fortification at all would be a solid choice.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Will saves are the weakness of the tempest trapmonkey, so try to find a protection from evil clickie for immunity to command. (The nightforge helmet, for example.) My first life on my tempest trapmonkey I was getting commanded and held left and right. In later levels you'll get FOM for holds, but you'll always need protection from evil wands or clickies, unfortunately. Also deathward, from the tangleroot visors.

Since you're level 6 on a first life, here's the gear I would target in the upcoming levels:

Level 9
    Head: Nightforge Darkhelm
    Eyes: Spot
    Neck: Nightforge Gorget
    Back: Cloak of Invisibility
    Wrist: ML4 Bracers of Wind
    Hand: Strength
    Waist: Constitution
    Feet: Boots of the Mire
    Ring: Ring of the Mire
    Ring:
    Trinket: Dusk heart
    Body: Snakeskin Vest

Level 13
    Head: Teraza's Perfect Sight
    Eyes: Spot
    Hand: Maenya's Iron Fists
    Waist: Constitution
    Feet: Boots of the Mire
    Ring: Ring of the Mire
    Ring: Katra's Razor Wit
    Trinket: Dusk heart
    Body: Crimson Chain or Giantcraft Leather Armor
    You are missing a new deadly item.

Think I'd recommend Kaelth's Touch over a dusk heart. It'll probably be considerably easier to get. Most veterans can just give you the scarabs to get one. Also, if you are going to be using bracers of the wind, you won't need the dusk effect on the dusk heart. Then, I'd think about dropping the mire set for one of the new 'speed' items, since they give an alacrity bonus (attack speed) as well.

So something like:

Level 13
    Eyes: (random or cannith crafted) Spot / swappable blindness immunity goggles
    Waist: (random or crafted) Constitution
    Feet: (random) Boots of Speed
    Ring: (random) Deadly Ring
    Trinket: Kaelth's Touch

You lose 20HP, but gain 5 DR that will work on blunt and slashing attacks vs the ring of the mire's pierce only. In addition, you free up a gear slot for a random 'deadly' item, and gain some alacrity from a 'speed' item.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwei View Post
    You are missing a new deadly item.

Think I'd recommend Kaelth's Touch over a dusk heart. It'll probably be considerably easier to get. Most veterans can just give you the scarabs to get one. Also, if you are going to be using bracers of the wind, you won't need the dusk effect on the dusk heart. Then, I'd think about dropping the mire set for one of the new 'speed' items, since they give an alacrity bonus (attack speed) as well.

So something like:

Level 13
    Eyes: (random or cannith crafted) Spot / swappable blindness immunity goggles
    Waist: (random or crafted) Constitution
    Feet: (random) Boots of Speed
    Ring: (random) Deadly Ring
    Trinket: Kaelth's Touch

You lose 20HP, but gain 5 DR that will work on blunt and slashing attacks vs the ring of the mire's pierce only. In addition, you free up a gear slot for a random 'deadly' item, and gain some alacrity from a 'speed' item.
    The dusk heart was there for false life. I first penciled in Nightforge Armbands for false life but then remembered bracers of wind, so moved false life up to the trinket.

Agreed about replacing the mire set with a deadly ring and boots of whatever. The mire's 24% striding is way better than similarly-leveled items of speed but that's moot because the build includes dragonmark of passage. I'd probably go with boots of feather fall. But then you have no alacrity, so speed may be better.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffreydv View Post
    I have bought some other packs when I played a couple of years ago.

The packs I have are:
    - Catacombs - good xp, nothing noteworthy loads here

- Seal of Shan-To-Kor - there are a few things that can be useful on future TR-s (trap blasters googles, puzzle hat, that bat wing thing), otherwise great xp.

- Tangleroot Gorge - probably the most important source of death ward clickies. If you happen to run it several times, pick up the Flesh renders googles every time.

- Sharn Syndicate - decent xp, loads nothing

- Necropolis pt 1 - 3 - good xp overall. I don't think i have any good items from there though. Necro 4 loads a nice helm called Minos Legens (heavy fort, 20 extra hp) and Boots of the Innocent (+5 saves, 20% striding - augement, can be swapped for 30% later)

- Delera's Tomb - Probably the most important bit for your leveling career. Pick up the Voice of the Master for 5% extra xp and +1 luck bonus to skills. There are other things like Golden Cartouche if you want extra UMD, but your first priority should be the Voice.

- Sorrowdusk Isle - I avoid this chain like plague. Long, annoying and not much good loads there.

- Vault of night - Now we're talking gold! Von1-4 is brilliant xp, especially Von3. If you can get Von5-6 going then there are some really nice items in the Von6 chest - Sword of Shadows, Kundrak boots (permanent freedom of movement, situational and very useful)

- Demon Sands - great place all around. I'd especially suggest Spectral gloves from Offering of Blood. Gives you ghost touch, +2 attack and +5 dex. A very nice item for any melee.

- Ruins of Gianthold - Check out the armor you can trade for dragon scales. They are for level 14 and they are great items even for low epics. There are other misc items that load there, a lot of new stuff you might want to google.

- Vale of twilight - Greensteel crafting. Horribly painful but the weapons are (were) nice. If you're planning on TR-ing, go craft a pair of Mineral II or Lightning II Khopeshes or a greatsword/greataxe if you prefer those. Vale pack unlocks the subterraine in marketplace as well. If you're patient and want to get a decent robe without crafting, learn how to get the Icy Rainment (nice armor, 8% dodge).

- Reaver's Reach - XP mostly. If you have the patience, then google dragontouched armor, but that used to be even more painful then greensteel crafting.
    Player of Garach - 48 TR, 13 IR, 21 ER

Quote Originally Posted by Grynberg View Post
    *SNIP*
    - Delera's Tomb - Probably the most important bit for your leveling career. Pick up the Voice of the Master for 5% extra xp and +1 luck bonus to skills. There are other things like Golden Cartouche if you want extra UMD, but your first priority should be the Voice.
    *SNIP*
    While I would agree with most the rest of your post, I'd disagree with this one. Voice of the Master is a guaranteed drop, the Cartouch isn't. If you get the Cartouch in your end list on the 1st run take that, then just run Delera's again for the Voice.
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post
    While I would agree with most the rest of your post, I'd disagree with this one. Voice of the Master is a guaranteed drop, the Cartouch isn't. If you get the Cartouch in your end list on the 1st run take that, then just run Delera's again for the Voice.
    Sure why not. Voice cuts 5% from the game time, but then again it's not that important for a first-life character.

- Demon Sands - great place all around. I'd especially suggest Spectral gloves from Offering of Blood. Gives you ghost touch, +2 attack and +5 dex. A very nice item for any melee.
    The best thing from Demon Sands for melee are the weapons, like Whirlwind. There's a similarly uber one-hander in there too I think. Spectral Gloves are pretty weak compared to, say, the Cloak of Invisibility (slot with resistance) which is solo-farmable from the F2P Tempest Spine.

Cartouche is meh at best. If I were a new player I'd much prefer to simply grind out 13 arcane crafting levels to craft myself persuasion, a level 23 arcane shard. Maybe a couple dozen greater arcane essences all told.

The best thing from Demon Sands for melee are the weapons, like Whirlwind. There's a similarly uber one-hander in there too I think. Spectral Gloves are pretty weak compared to, say, the Cloak of Invisibility (slot with resistance) which is solo-farmable from the F2P Tempest Spine.
    I did try to farm Whirlwind for a few lives but it just didn't load for me. By that time, I already had SoS and Min II greatsword.

Spectral gloves however has a ~30% load chance per elite OOB run. Definetly easier to get then the cloak of invisibility in Tempest raid. As far as being 'pretty weak' compared to the cloak of invisibility. +2 protection and a 1/rest invisibility clicky with a green augement on the cloak? I'm pretty sure you can do better, i'd even wear a +6 cha cloak for extra UMD over that.

Personal preference i suppose. I'm looking at the items from a TR perspective and a ML 16 cloak (+5 resistance augement is ML 16) with those stats doesn't look too appealing.

EDIT: I had a brief look at what people have been suggesting here and there's been a bit too much odd and hard to obtain (read: grindy) gear. You can do great with a lot more basic items that don't need grinding of any kind. They are nearly as good as, for example, the sora-kell set I saw up here. It takes about 90% less time to obtain the items below, though.

What I'd suggest for lets say level 11:

Head: +6 intelligence for traps (random)
    Necklace: +6 constitution (random)
    Belt: Greater false life (random)
    Gloves: +6 dexterity (random)
    Bracers: +6 strength (random)
    Ring1: Deadly ring (random)
    Boots: Striding +30% (random)
    Cloak: +6 charisma (random loot)
    Armor: +5 Invulnerablity armor of your preference. (Cannith crafting)/Deathblock item.
    Googles: +5 resistance (random)/+x search/+x disable for trapping (random loot)
    Ring2: Heavy fortification (random)

This should be the bare minimum you should have on you. Start with these items and work on from there on.

For potions you should ALWAYS carry:
    100x of remove curse, remove disease, neutralize poiton, lesser restoration, remove blindness (all obtainable from guild traders in house K or from marketplace). They last long and don't cost much but they are true life-savers and don't take an equipment slot (no need for blindness immunity for example when a pot will do)

Potions you might want to carry (can get pricey though):
    Haste potions (guild trader in house k or gianthold)
    Rage potions (various places)

If I were a new player I'd much prefer to simply grind out 13 arcane crafting levels to craft myself persuasion, a level 23 arcane shard. Maybe a couple dozen greater arcane essences all told.
    Cartouche stacks with persuasion.
    Last edited by Grynberg; 10-14-2013 at 05:02 AM.

It doesn't

The Cartouche is a competence bonus, which is the same type of bonus provided by persuasion, command, and the various +UMD items (seven fingered gloves, staff of the seer, epic flameward, etc)

Things that stack with competence:

Exceptional Cha Skills (GS items, ring of lies, maybe a few other things)

Enhancment bonus to UMD:
    Big top (+1) and epic Big top (+3)
    T3 Epic treasure hunter's spyglass (+3)

luck
    voice of the master, crafted/blue good luck, head of good fortune, etc

morale
    heroism, greater heroism, good hope, etc

profane
    (spider mask)

------------

What makes the cloak of invisibility useful is it's low level ghostly, and possible slot consolidation with things like fear immunity, resistance, heavy fort, etc

You can run the cloak chest and kill the named drop that unlocks it in 5 minutes or less, then just recall, reset, and try again. And because it's easy, you can probably rope a guildie or two into coming along, if you are at ransack.

-----------

The problem with getting all of your gear as random loot is that you have to play a 'long' time to get everything. Or just buy it from the AH (which newbies can't afford) or craft it (which newbies don't have the crafting levels for).

1 run though attack on storm reach with a party should get you a sora kell set, 1 run on casual will get you enough adamantine ore for a nightforge gorget, something like 2-6 runs of each challenge will get you enough for ml3 bracers of the wind.

How many runs will it take me to get a +6 stat item that I need?

Spectral gloves however has a ~30% load chance per elite OOB run. Definetly easier to get then the cloak of invisibility in Tempest raid. As far as being 'pretty weak' compared to the cloak of invisibility. +2 protection and a 1/rest invisibility clicky with a green augement on the cloak? I'm pretty sure you can do better, i'd even wear a +6 cha cloak for extra UMD over that.

Personal preference i suppose. I'm looking at the items from a TR perspective and a ML 16 cloak (+5 resistance augement is ML 16) with those stats doesn't look too appealing.
    Ghostly is what makes Cloak of invisibility leaps and bounds better than Spectral Gloves, which only come with Ethereal. The cloak is super cheap to slot with both a +4 resistance for ML12 and +5 for ML16 each life, since those only cost regular ancient relics.

EDIT: I had a brief look at what people have been suggesting here and there's been a bit too much odd and hard to obtain (read: grindy) gear. You can do great with a lot more basic items that don't need grinding of any kind. They are nearly as good as, for example, the sora-kell set I saw up here. It takes about 90% less time to obtain the items below, though.
    Your gearset doesn't have a wisdom item, which is needed to cast spells. That's a simple change though, since there's no need to wear an int item on a regular basis. Your lootgen also misses out on True Seeing from the hat and +2 damage from the set bonus. You don't have a spot item either, which is pretty important for new player trappers.

Also, not sure why you'd think the nightforge gear is grindy. Maybe we have different definitions of the term, but a single 10-minute solo run per guaranteed item is about as non-grindy as it gets.

Regarding your potion recommendations, 1000% agreed.

No it doesn't.

EDIT:
    I did try to farm Whirlwind for a few lives but it just didn't load for me. By that time, I already had SoS and Min II greatsword.
    I don't doubt your experience, but Whirlwind is orders of magnitude easier to acquire for new players than either SOS or a min2.

It doesn't
    Ah. Command/persuasion does sound better in that case.

The problem with getting all of your gear as random loot is that you have to play a 'long' time to get everything. Or just buy it from the AH (which newbies can't afford) or craft it (which newbies don't have the crafting levels for).
    1 run though attack on storm reach with a party should get you a sora kell set, 1 run on casual will get you enough adamantine ore for a nightforge gorget, something like 2-6 runs of each challenge will get you enough for ml3 bracers of the wind.
    How many runs will it take me to get a +6 stat item that I need?
    I agree. It can be hard for a new player to obtain the equipment he needs. Keeping an eye on AH pays off though.

The list was to give him a general idea what stats he should have and that generic random loot can be better then most of the named items on the same level. I.e. generic +6 stat items on level 11 vs +5 stat items on level 13 (sora-kell).

EDIT: It's probably just me though. I've never been a fan of sora-kell myself and to be honest, it's the first time I've read about nightforge items. I've never needed them - have a level 3 moderate fort ring (levle 5 heavy fort)
    Last edited by Grynberg; 10-14-2013 at 07:33 AM.

SNIP

Cartouche is meh at best. If I were a new player I'd much prefer to simply grind out 13 arcane crafting levels to craft myself persuasion, a level 23 arcane shard. Maybe a couple dozen greater arcane essences all told.
    Given the choice between running one of the best quest lines (IMHO) a couple of times or mindlessly clicking the mouse in the crafting hall, I know which I pick.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

Given the choice between running one of the best quest lines (IMHO) a couple of times or mindlessly clicking the mouse in the crafting hall, I know which I pick.
    This is an odd response from someone advising to get gear from the ah instead of questing.

Sora Kell is +6 stat ML13 gear, btw. The +5s are ML12. And the lootgen substitutes are not better; they're missing true seeing, +2 damage and (for the OP's build) +40 devotion.

EDIT: Though I don't actually know if the sora kell damage bonus stacks with deadly items.

EDIT: It's probably just me though. I've never been a fan of sora-kell myself and to be honest, it's the first time I've read about nightforge items. I've never needed them - have a level 3 moderate fort ring (levle 5 heavy fort)
    Level 5 heavy fort? What item is that?

This is an odd response from someone advising to get gear from the ah instead of questing.

Sora Kell is +6 stat ML13 gear, btw. The +5s are ML12. And the lootgen substitutes are not better; they're missing true seeing, +2 damage and (for the OP's build) +40 devotion.
    huh?!

I've never mentioned the AH.

huh?!

I've never mentioned the AH.
    Apologies; your names looked similar enough that I conflated you two.

EDIT: Though I don't actually know if the sora kell damage bonus stacks with deadly items.
    Supposedly, sora kell was changed to an 'artifact bonus' along with planar conflux and maybe a few other things. Think it was done around the time of epic gianthold.

Guess you could find a cursed masterful heavy fort or wonderous heavy fort, but don't know what level the 'new' heavy fort actually happens at.

The ring is a level 7 heavy fort and mod fort is 5. Mixed up the levels there. Both from cannith crafting.

As for sora-kel, why not. If it's easy and fast to get then I don't see a problem with it. I was merely pointing out that ordinary un-named loot can be better.
    Auction House was mentioned as a bonus. I never intended to imply that you have to get all your items from AH.

I remember from when I started that it was easier to get a set of +6 items from AH then to quest for rare items. That experience, I'm afraid, is from years ago.

SNIP*
    As for sora-kel, why not. If it's easy and fast to get then I don't see a problem with it. I was merely pointing out that ordinary un-named loot can be better.
    SNIP*
    Then you've had far better luck than many. I've many rings and gauntlets, but only a couple of the Teraza's Sight circlets. Others mileage may vary

Then you've had far better luck than many. I've many rings and gauntlets, but only a couple of the Teraza's Sight circlets. Others mileage may vary
    It's almost the end of the workday and it seems we're all mixing up names and viewpoints

I was saying getting generic items would probably work better. ElisDee said it's easier to get sora-kell though and I only said 'why not'.

On my first lives I limped along with no fortification at all until I hit level 9, when I immediately farmed up nightforge gorget. But yeah, in the meantime a ring with any amount of fortification at all would be a solid choice.
    A side-note about this:

You know, post-u19 I was genuinely shocked when I crafted a moderate fortification item for my rogue this time. I thought, originally, that moderate fort was a 50% increase, but crafted it was actually 75%. With a Masterful Craftsmanship shard, I was able to outfit my rogue at very low levels with a better fortification than I would have been able to obtain otherwise. I think I equipped this item around lvl 5 or lvl 6. The best that I could get in this range was something like 60%, tops.

Now that I am in the low teens, I need to upgrade, but still that is a major boon with it comes to crafting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast