Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Default Bandwagon - QP focused 18 Monk / 2 Fighter Dwarf

Basically it's a max Tactics monk. But it also has shuriken feats because having a ranged option borders on non-negotiable for me. It's not a 'Thrower build'. 90%+ of the time I envisage that it will be eating trash via melee.

Better defences and possibly even a tank mode are available via taking Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack where the shuriken feats go.

36 Point Dwarf
    STR 14
    CON 17 (+4 Tome to qualify for Epic Toughness)
    DEX 14 (+3 Tome at least needed to qualify for GTWF)
    INT 8
    WIS 18 (+4 Tome +7 Level-Ups + 11 Item + 1 Exc + 3 Insightful + 2 Completionist + 2 Shintao + 2 Ninja + 2 Ship Buff + 2 Yugo Pot + 6 Destiny = 60, MOD 25)
    CHA 6

1 Monk 1 - Shuriken Expertise, Stunning Fist
    2 Monk 2 - Power Attack
    3 Monk 3 - TWF
    4 Monk 4
    5 Monk 5
    6 Monk 6 - Completionist, Improved Sunder
    7 Monk 7
    8 Monk 8
    9 Monk 9 - PL: Monk
    10 Monk 10
    11 Monk 11
    12 Monk 12 - ITWF
    13 Monk 13
    14 Monk 14
    15 Monk 15 - GTWF
    16 Fighter 1 - Quick Draw
    17 Fighter 2 - Rapid Shot
    18 Monk 16 - IC: Bludgeoning
    19 Monk 17
    20 Monk 18
    Epic 1 - Improved Martial Arts
    Epic 4 - Vorpal Strikes
    Epic 6 - Toughness
    Epic 7 - Epic Toughness
    Epic 8 - Tactician

Enhancements:
    8 Points in Dwarf for +3 Tactics
    11 Points in Kensai for +3 Tactics
    35 Points in Shintao for +2 Wis, Meditation of War, 1d8 Fist Die, 25% HAMP from Core Abilities
    26 in Ninja for +2 Wis, 2/3 'No Mercy'.

Skills:
    Conc, UMD (Yes dwarf cops -2 Cha. Scroll healing via UMD with nice Shintao Amp will still be solid.)

Half-hearted efforts at: [Jump/Tumble/Heal]

Not much balance since GMoF Final Core Ability purports immunity to most knockdowns. If that's unreliable please tell me.

ED:
    GMoF because +3 otherwise unattainable Innate Tactics DC from Cores.

Twists (Because I like Shurikens):
    3 - Whirling Wrists
    1 - Legendary Tactics
    1 - Cocoon

Twists v2 (If, for some incomprehensible reason, it's not the time for Shurikens?!):

4 - Sense Weakness
    1 - Legendary Tactics
    1 - Cocoon

The ludicrous bit -
    Quivering Palm DC:
    10 Base
    09 Monk/2
    25 Wis
    02 Tactician
    06 Legendary Tactics Twist
    03 Fighter PL
    10 Item (Yep could be higher. If I ever find a +14 Kama it's definitely a swap in.)
    06 Enhancements (Kensai + Dwarf)
    05 Exc Combat Mastery
    03 ED (GMOF Innates)
    01 Fire Stance with Meditations of War's -2 Wis, +2 Tactics (I know people say 'you'll be in Earth, don't lie', but 30 Ki per 6 seconds seems like enough that Fire Stance for trash doesn't seem that crazy).
    =
    80 Standing

3 Imp Sunder
    =
    83 Improved Sundering

Stunning Fist, assuming a stunning item, is the same DC breakdowns + 5 (because it's 28 Character levels /2 instead of 18 Monk levels /2).

Any thoughts?

Is it inconceivably stupid to not take the Dodge feat at all? I do anticipate wearing an item, the Monk levels offer 6%, and Ninja Spy gives +2% from an enhancement. I also intend to rely on my collection of Displacement Clickie Greensteel Quarterstaves.

Are there any other omissions that will make me regret getting my flavour of the month on?
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I'm not sure where you'd find the APs for this, but what do you think of a cleric or druid 2 splash as well? Either gets you Heal skill & Emp Heal feat (combine w/Rejuv Cocoon, natch); cleric gets you Divine Might + 10 PRR from Warpriest, druid gets you Ram's Might + Vengeful Hunter + Doublestrike action boost. Hmmm, but you'd also need GM of Forms feat too, wouldn't you?

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I'm not sure where you'd find the APs for this, but what do you think of a cleric or druid 2 splash as well? Either gets you Heal skill & Emp Heal feat (combine w/Rejuv Cocoon, natch); cleric gets you Divine Might + 10 PRR from Warpriest, druid gets you Ram's Might + Vengeful Hunter + Doublestrike action boost. Hmmm, but you'd also need GM of Forms feat too, wouldn't you?
    I really do like the idea of 16 / 2 / 2, and thought about it I fair bit. Something giving access to Emp Healing made sense to me too.

Dropping the shuriken nonsense feats (shuriken expertise, quick draw, rapid shot), would easily free up enough for Emp Healing and GM of Forms too.

My plan would have been to just ignore the enhancements and stick with the above setup had I gone that route. I think the reasons I didn't go there are flavour country since Emp Heal Cocoon is well loved, but for me:
    +1 Tactics DC, +5% Run Speed and access to full shuriken feats swung the balance.

Like I said, flavour country :P.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Community Member

I posted this elsewhere but I'll toss it here as well. This type of build would work out very well in U20 as a Bladeforged and right now as a Warforged. Difference is that if we're willing to use Epic Blademark's Docent for our armor we can pick up +15 trip DC's. Without the shuriken feats you could add in CE/Improved Trip and add yet another quality EE-level tactic. I'm assuming here some hefty tomes and a slighty different stat-split as I'd aim for Overwhelming Critical (12 heroic feats PA/Clv/GClv, TWF/iTWF/gTWF, CE/ImpTrip/ImpSunder/StunningFist, PL: Monk, ICrit). That 23 base strength that we reach + 8 item + 3 ins + 1 exc + 2 ship + 5 primal brings us to at least 42 str. I probably left out quite a bit here but it's good enough to start looking at the DC.

Improved Trip DC:
    14 Base
    16 Str
    02 Tactician
    06 Legendary Tactics Twist
    03 Fighter PL
    15 Item (Epic Blademark's Docent)
    06 Enhancements (Kensai + Dwarf)
    05 Exc Combat Mastery
    03 ED (GMOF Innates)
    04 Fire Stance with Meditations of War's +2 Str, +2 Tactics
    =
    74 Standing

My mindset is if we're going to build a toon so focused on tactics then we might as well fit in every possible tactic that we can.

Someone made an interesting suggestion on the Bladeforged on the other forum: you could splash 2 wizard (which loses GM stances unfortunately) but pick up Mental Toughness (more sp's) or Quicken (uninterruptable) with the free feat then and have the Reconstruct SLA with enough sp's to make it work. You'll even be able to pick up some doublestrike and PRR from the EK prestige.
    Last edited by Darkrok; 10-25-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Default Seems solid

Hi buddy,

Seems solid to me though I'm working on different feat selection trying to fit in whirlwind for more dodge, dps (works great with handwraps) and quick easy access to lots of yummi ki. Not using sf and qp every 6 seconds is a waste on a build like this not to mention kukon do whenever it is off timer.

I will also probably roll in ld mostly since having a reliable instakill on 6 sec cool down is ideal blitz starting/sustaining conditions. Going for max number of action boosts/different action boost to be perma action boosted for that +50% damage vs helpless from combat brute.(even lame tier1 attack boost from ld tree and defence boost from sd tree will do the trick).

Was wondering about self healing capabilities, how much does a tick of rejuv hit you for and how about healing ki finisher?

Btw is healing curse still the only light move available? I know that the shintao stuff did not count as light moves post u19, was that altered?
    Officer of the notorious Double Deviants of khyber.
    Costing you 10% xp on
    Goodthings, Goldnblood, Goodmetal, Goldmooon, Goldsunn, Blackart, Catalyster, Lichlordd and Goldlit.

Community Member
    At Turbine HQ suggesting what to nerf next.

Meditation of War is not stacking with an exceptional combat mastery item since they are both insight bonuses. Not sure if this has been changed, but last I checked it was the case. Still a solid build. I prefer mine to have 2 fvs for divine might, 10 prr, emp heal, saves, and the smite for bosses.
    Teth - Revenants

Babysittin Francine so he dont die 24/7. I used to be good at this game.

Quote Originally Posted by xTethx View Post
    Meditation of War is not stacking with an exceptional combat mastery item since they are both insight bonuses. Not sure if this has been changed, but last I checked it was the case. Still a solid build. I prefer mine to have 2 fvs for divine might, 10 prr, emp heal, saves, and the smite for bosses.
    I can confirm what Teth said, meditation of war adds an insight bonus to tactics while in fire stance. This bonus does NOT stack with exceptional combat mastery. This means that there is a net loss of 3 to your dc when you swap from ultimate ocean to any fire stance.

Good news is that frees up 2 ap. Not a huge comfort but it is nice on an ap super tight build.
    Officer of the notorious Double Deviants of khyber.
    Costing you 10% xp on
    Goodthings, Goldnblood, Goodmetal, Goldmooon, Goldsunn, Blackart, Catalyster, Lichlordd and Goldlit.

a half elf monk with fighter dilettante will have better tactical DC's than this build, but lower dps.

If you prefer the idea of dwarf though, I would give 2 of your ranged feats, instead picking up improved crit and doge during your fighter levels, then grab 10k stars at level 18.