Community Member

Default Rune arm, what am I missing?

Hi,

I did a few very rough tests and the +2 frost repeating heavy crossbow (with acid from elemental weapon) is far out damaging the rune arm, not in a single hit but the combined damage is much greater and quicker - I must be missing something.

The rune arm is "Flicker" (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Flicker)
    I currently a lvl 7 pure art.

Ta.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Rune Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpsack View Post
    Hi,

I did a few very rough tests and the +2 frost repeating heavy crossbow (with acid from elemental weapon) is far out damaging the rune arm, not in a single hit but the combined damage is much greater and quicker - I must be missing something.

Ta.
    Each rune arm is different with different qualities. Most can be craft upon as well. Here is the wiki list of Rune Arms, http://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_arm

I personally dont use Flickr. I have most the run arms on the list at L7 I would be using:
    • Chimera's Breath whem I melee wibastart sword
    • Khyber's Fury
    • Coronach (rarely use, mostly use Khypers Fury till L9)

AT L9 I will switch to Hand of Tombs and that will be my arm, because it has disruption on it. At L15 I use Corruption of nature and Hand of Tombs till L20. Then I use Anarchic Device, Hand of Tombs, and Epic Corruption of Nature. At end game EH or EE Corruption.

In my experience, the runearms were very meh until lucid dreams at lvl19. They provided some bonus dps, a place to craft lore and some effects like disruption from hand of the tombs were nice

But til 19th lvl, my xbow far out-dps'd my runearm. After that, it got a LOT better

Your spellpower also affects runearm damage, as im sure u know, so make sure to boost that amap

The way the OP is worded, it sounds like you're using a runearm OR a repeater? You can use both at the same time, and the runearm adds damage to all your fired bolts.

Treasure Hunter

Default Here's right

Quote Originally Posted by Dielzen View Post
    The way the OP is worded, it sounds like you're using a runearm OR a repeater? You can use both at the same time, and the runearm adds damage to all your fired bolts.
    Dielzen's right. My Khyper and Hand of Tombs adds fire damage to my bolts. Likewise Corruption adds Acid to my bolts. I will sometimes craft on another elemental damage or use one of the augment slots.

With a good repeater and run arm combo I can get more types of damage out that can be displayed. If you have augments slots and want to add silver or an adamantine augment, etc. Lahar in the 12 with trade those type of augments for 20 tokens of the 12.

At low level I will use multiples of the same arm sometimes with different stuff crafted on them. For example, crafting on the Thought Spike I sometimes add more Force Spell Power via crafting on a +42 Impulse prefix (equipment bonus to force (and physical or untyped) spell power).

On a side note buffin physical or untyped damage boosts the power of Blade Barrier and Tactical Detonation (force and fire). Of course you don't get those spell till much later on, but the Anarchaic Device is great at L20.

Recoyle from threnal has a nice shot. The greater force runearm you can buy on the ddo store has a nice shot, both add force damage to your attacks.

The glass cannon from the crystal cove is pretty sexy. It gives 120 force spellpower at level 15 XD also the only runearm in game with 2 imbues for your xbow.

Treasure Hunter

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Recoyle from threnal has a nice shot. The greater force runearm you can buy on the ddo store has a nice shot, both add force damage to your attacks.

The glass cannon from the crystal cove is pretty sexy. It gives 120 force spellpower at level 15 XD also the only runearm in game with 2 imbues for your xbow.
    Yep, but allot of folks diss the arm because of the fort pen. I have the maxed Glass Cannon:

• Exploding Cannon Shot, Maximum Charge Tier V, Rune Arm Imbue: Bludgeon V, Rune Arm Imbue: Fire V, Fortification Penalty (-25%), Impulse +120, Yellow Augment Slot

Its BtA which is nice and I'm using on a toon that has 210% fort so I don't feel the pen.

You can stack fort, but only different kinds, i.e. Medium White Dragon Armor has 100% fort. I equip my 25% exceptional fort ring. My fort is now 125%. I feel it's important to have lots of fort, because some baddies can reduce your fort.

Community Member

Thanks guys, thats very informative - and as mentioned I did think it was one or the other, so thats a biggie straight away!

Cheers for the link to runearm too, very useful, looks like theres a lot more to it than I thought - thank you again.

Each runearm has a different firing pattern. Once you learn their eccentricities, you can start focusing on what you want to use.

Personally, I like the following:
    Khyber’s Fury - It features 75% fortification and a fireball blast pattern.
    The Pea Shooter - Multishot firing pattern, makes all weapons anti-troll weapons.
    Hand of the Tombs - Disruption and a Fireball
    Tira’s Splendor - A nice rune arm for the Orchard. Blue numbers and DR bypass for Temple of Vol and Lasers and Deathblock for Ghosts of Perdition
    Lucid Dreams - Arcane Lore and Force Shots
    The Glass Cannon - Force Spell power.

Also, remember: Rune arms are affected by spell power. (They vary based on type and level, but more spell power = bigger attack.)
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • One loot system to rule them all. (Including Cannith Crafting, and Named Loot.)
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Adjusting Challenge XP so that they're worth running more than once.

you guys forgot to mention how useful the exploding shot runearms are at breaking barrels
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    Yep, but allot of folks diss the arm because of the fort pen. I have the maxed Glass Cannon:

• Exploding Cannon Shot, Maximum Charge Tier V, Rune Arm Imbue: Bludgeon V, Rune Arm Imbue: Fire V, Fortification Penalty (-25%), Impulse +120, Yellow Augment Slot

Its BtA which is nice and I'm using on a toon that has 210% fort so I don't feel the pen.

You can stack fort, but only different kinds, i.e. Medium White Dragon Armor has 100% fort. I equip my 25% exceptional fort ring. My fort is now 125%. I feel it's important to have lots of fort, because some baddies can reduce your fort.
    I've become rather fond of my glass cannon too.. the shot itself isnt as amazing as, say, lucid dreams or the archaic device, but 2 imbues & spellpower are very nice, and for many artificers (where warforged is a natural fit), the new racial enhancement lines can absorb the fort penalty easily.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpsack View Post
    Hi,

Ta.
    One thing else to consider is you are lvl 7 but your rune arm is lvl 3.You can also craft on your rune arm to drop its minimum lvl by 2. So you can actually use a lvl 9 Rune arm right now.Good to know if you plan a second life as a Arti.

But like most people has said the shot type can be tricky to learn,I liked Pea Shooter at lvl 7 when I first started Arti as it didn't take too much thinking to target with properly. You just have to think about if you have room for all three shots to hit.

One other thing my mouse has 4 buttons so my rune arm charging and firing button is on my mouse and easy to use. Just another idea if you have a 4 button mouse.

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

I like hand of the tombs at level 7. If you have 23 crafting in any school you can make shards of masterful craftsmanship. you need to have enough favor in house C but marks of house c are BtA from vendors. There are rare unbound marks but i'm not sure they drop anymore.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

Quote Originally Posted by Book_O_Dragons View Post
    I like hand of the tombs at level 7. If you have 23 crafting in any school you can make shards of masterful craftsmanship. you need to have enough favor in house C but marks of house c are BtA from vendors. There are rare unbound marks but i'm not sure they drop anymore.
    The unbound marks are rare, but they drop - I got one last night, though can't remember which quest
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Book_O_Dragons View Post
    My first life i just learned about Artis,second life i fixed what i wanted changed. So all of my rune arms are dropped by two lvls. Only the rather new ones you cant drop.
    I prefer to drop them instead of crafting some shard to improve them.Some I have copies of such as Tovens where one is dropped and one has a shard added to it.It works out nicely if you TR some Arti lives.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Strinatti's Hand Cannon is one of my favourite arms. It drops a little close to the ground and catches on door ways a lot, but has some of the best damage, if you can aim it.

There's no reason not to be cycling/firing the rune arm between spells/fusilades and while you're shooting. It's extra damage, and that's almost never a waste.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    you guys forgot to mention how useful the exploding shot runearms are at breaking barrels
    It's also a great light source for when you get separated from the party in Rainbow in the Dark.

I love the hand cannon shots, but find glass cannon too weak to use in EE content. You basically just annoying the mobs, who then smash you. In EE, I find I have to switch to single target dps in order to bring stuff down faster. I prefer Archaic device for the force synergy, but lots of people prefer the acid one since it comes with its own acid spell power.

After level 20, Lucid Dreams isn't worth it; it only produces 60% of the damage output that Archaic Device does.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    It's also a great light source for when you get separated from the party in Rainbow in the Dark.
    Yeah, I came in late to Rainbow and Tira'd my way through the entire quest. It's better than FB one as the light travels slower, so you get a wider range of able to see.

Also, on my arti I mostly use the rune arms for their side effects and weapons imbuing.

At level 17, I mostly run with Tira's Splendor and mix in hand of tombs as necessary. I like it for the perma-DB, since I won't need to wear my deathblock cloak and can instead wear my Stormreaver's napkin.