Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Wrong. Every person who gets an item dirt cheap is a person who has less incentive to run content, buy XP pots, and so forth. Another person who will get bored sooner and leave.

And then there are all the people who've just seen items they spent months trying to get reduced to worthlessness. And honest people who are fed up with this sort of stuff.

Of all the issues that DDO has had over the last two years, I've pretty much stuck in there with Turbine. Bugs happen, I know they have limited resources, etc. etc. I've made the best of it, looked to find ways to have fun, etc. Same with friends I know.

This is inexcusable, for one simple reason: it reflects a profound lack of caring. They just simply have given up -- they don't even care what happens with their product any more. And if they don't, why should any of us?

I just downloaded and installed a new MMO for the first time since I got into DDO over two years ago. I'll be cancelling my VIP at the end of the year barring a major turnaround. A friend that I brought over to DDO from another MMO just cancelled his VIP and went back to that one -- again, after two years. He's spent many hundreds of dollars on this game, which now will be going somewhere else.

I assure you that this is going to cost Turbine plenty, which makes their inaction even more inexplicable.
    In the first few weeks of Neverwinter there was a major duping bug that flooded the world with Neverwinter's equivalent of astral shards. Everything became super expensive because certain players had so much money that they could spend any amount on anything they wanted. This had a big effect on a normal player.

Item dupes are not the same. Item dupes serve to make the items being duped cheap. In other words, rare items that used to only be enjoyed by the few can now be enjoyed by everyone. This is hardly terrible. In some cases it makes almost no difference (shroud ingredients are common, but you still need 20 runs per item to get rid of the debuff so there is little impact on how much people need to run shroud). Certain augments are now common, but that just means more people can enjoy the benefit of that augment. There is still plenty of loot to collect for people that enjoy that sort of thing, but bugs like this are just part of the inherent flaw of having a game based around loot. This happens in MMO's all the time because we still have not turned the focus of MMO's away from the collection of items (that can and do get duped in games all the time).
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Selensija View Post
    Well I guess they turned off Shard Exchange now.
    If that is not a selling point of the shard exchange I don't know what is. Normally when you get a dupe bug like this the game has to take down the entire auction house. Since we have two auction houses they can just take down the shard exchange and we can keep playing the game as if nothing has happened (since I know a lot of us use the shard exchange mostly as a free place to store items and not for the actual buying and selling of items with other players).
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Wrong. Every person who gets an item dirt cheap is a person who has less incentive to run content, buy XP pots, and so forth. Another person who will get bored sooner and leave.

And then there are all the people who've just seen items they spent months trying to get reduced to worthlessness. And honest people who are fed up with this sort of stuff.

Of all the issues that DDO has had over the last two years, I've pretty much stuck in there with Turbine. Bugs happen, I know they have limited resources, etc. etc. I've made the best of it, looked to find ways to have fun, etc. Same with friends I know.

This is inexcusable, for one simple reason: it reflects a profound lack of caring. They just simply have given up -- they don't even care what happens with their product any more. And if they don't, why should any of us?

I just downloaded and installed a new MMO for the first time since I got into DDO over two years ago. I'll be cancelling my VIP at the end of the year barring a major turnaround. A friend that I brought over to DDO from another MMO just cancelled his VIP and went back to that one -- again, after two years. He's spent many hundreds of dollars on this game, which now will be going somewhere else.

I assure you that this is going to cost Turbine plenty, which makes their inaction even more inexplicable.
    I think the people that paticipated in this thing will be less likely to run that content regardless. They are wrecking their own fun. To my mind this whole thing is just dumb and childish. It's like the equivalent of cheating at patience. Half my fun is in the striving for loot. If I do this childish thing, and have insta-loot, where is the fun of that?

Oh I totally agree that it needs to be stopped and sure go smack people if that makes other people feel better, but from where I sit, who cares? It doesn't affect me directly as I hate trading and enjoy working towards my own loot. I don't fully understand people going ballistic and say how what other people are doing is totally wrecking their fun. The market will bounce back eventually. We've had what 3 loot revisions recently and we're about to go to 30 and therefor presumably get new items that will make a number of items curently being traded in obscene quantities obsolete. Let them enjoy their childishness a while. It will correct itself soon.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    I think the people that paticipated in this thing will be less likely to run that content regardless. They are wrecking their own fun. To my mind this whole thing is just dumb and childish. It's like the equivalent of cheating at patience. Half my fun is in the striving for loot. If I do this childish thing, and have insta-loot, where is the fun of that?

Oh I totally agree that it needs to be stopped and sure go smack people if that makes other people feel better, but from where I sit, who cares? It doesn't affect me directly as I hate trading and enjoy working towards my own loot. I don't fully understand people going ballistic and say how what other people are doing is totally wrecking their fun. The market will bounce back eventually. We've had what 3 loot revisions recently and we're about to go to 30 and therefor presumably get new items that will make a number of items curently being traded in obscene quantities obsolete. Let them enjoy their childishness a while. It will correct itself soon.
    it will correct itself only if items get deleted or a rollback. if they stay in game, I assure you it will take months to straighten out. how long was it before in game trading and AH prices finally normalized after CC? couple months at least and that was with plat cap. theres no cap with whats going on, just how much space you have.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    ... Let them enjoy their childishness a while. It will correct itself soon.
    God, I know right? Why don't they grow up and earn their pixelated nothing by hacking down minotaurs with flaming longswords like the rest of us mature adults?

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    God, I know right? Why don't they grow up and earn their pixelated nothing by hacking down minotaurs with flaming longswords like the rest of us mature adults?

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    It gives power-gamers a reason to run something they've beaten already, they can sell stuff.
    They can also sell this stuff on a plat Auction House. We do not need this ASAH.

In game earned monetary value is key to keeping the immersion of the game self satisfactory and fun to play and any other choice is just evil and just makes the game too real life and not fun.

In other words in game made money is more valuable to the long term of the game rather than real world money exploiting the game to have short term goals and eventually boredom.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 10-07-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Antiguo View Post
    ... and i wouldnt care even a bit.

Seriously, i would even buy some outfits or another non pay-to-reward-lazyness item in the store to celebrate.

Sitting in the plat cap i earned playing the game and not being able to buy anything worth because someone at Turbine wanted to get money not for making a better game but for adding some stuff to give the "rich daddy little sunshines" some advantajes makes me feel that way, i'm such a bad person.
    Well said!!!
    Wherever you went - here you are.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

plat cap needs to be increased.

just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Selensija View Post
    I wonder what is happening on Ghallanda... I was looking for LDS yesterday and they were like 30-100 AS per LDS.

And today:

Did I miss something?

Edit: Okay there was something I missed :P
    Nope.. You pointed out the stupid people quite clearly!

Exactly what do people use astral shards for? And not the AH, or a guild ship. I mean what do people USE these shards for? Is it really something as idiotic as venders?
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Exactly what do people use astral shards for? And not the AH, or a guild ship. I mean what do people USE these shards for? Is it really something as idiotic as venders?
    Rerolls at chests. To get items like, well gee like the ones that they are duping. Fancy that. Cycling the silliness.

Fix the stupid thing, and bring on new v v hard to get items that make these redundant. Solved.

Oh and totally agree on the plat cap. Not just on characters but on the AH too.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Buy stuff that is not traded on AH cause if you been playing few years you have millions of plat with no use ?
    Running quests at cap gets you 200k easily per day just from the vendoring trash.
    Sell stuff on ASAH ( which means initiative for running EE quests but it's moot since Shadowfell cause nothing sells anymore when random gen is better than named items ).

Gold rolls binges ? "Just one more , but I swear I wont go under 3k shards ". I can't resist now and then ( loot gems, xp boosts, slayers boost ) are nice perks ( and I don't buy such stuff normally ).
    Lol I might have ingame gambling habit, brb gotta run more quests for junk to sell.

Chest rerolls occassionally when you finish difficult EE quest looking for a particular item.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

No doubt the first place Turbine will look is in those accounts that have recently accumulated many shards. The ASAH economy wont be ruined because they will all get banned. At most it is going to be a weekend blip on the radar.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achitophel View Post
    No doubt the first place Turbine will look is in those accounts that have recently accumulated many shards. The ASAH economy wont be ruined because they will all get banned. At most it is going to be a weekend blip on the radar.
    That would be the smart way to do it. So, it won't get done.

I doubt the people with Astral shards get hammered at all. Since the astral shards people are using have to be purchased 99% of the time, Turbine is making money from this.

After all, you can't create astral shards without real money. Although, I can think of one way to create astral shards not involving the real money, AH, or the free rolls.

Going to be an interesting week.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

It is win/win for Turbine, legit people have bought shards and purchased items from the non-legits. The non-legits have all of the swindled shards and get banned. Problem ?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Obsoleting the ill-gotten gains over time is the best alternative.
    And the best thing about this solution? They dont' even have to work extra at it. They're going to do it anyway since "power creep" is their new motto.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    If you play on another server, better hope Turbine does something quick.
    Why? Because an item that apparently a whole lot of people want is suddenly easily available? Good. I hope everyone who wants one gets one. You know why? Because the quickest way to tell if something is over-powered and should never have been introduced is to look at how many people want it. If everyone wants it, it's too powerful/useful. Maybe this will spark the dev team to stop designing with an ever-increasing grind in mind, and start designing new clever and interesting content and fixing existing problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    Because.. if you really didn't want people abusing this, you'd have bug-reported it, and kept your pie-hole shut instead of advertising it.
    Word.
    Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    plat cap needs to be increased.
    I agree. My hagglebot has a quarter-mil in the mailbox because he's capped. Normally, I'd look over the AH and buy something spiffy, but since the loot is now all Riposting Ghostbane of Rapid Shots, (with a handful of level 26+ gear that is useless since I have no plans on getting ot 26+), there isn't anything good to buy. But if I understand correctly, the cap is based on some limitation of the soft or hardware and cannot just be increased. And note, this was a problem for me before the exploit. Has been ever since the new random **** loot was introduced. Seriously, fire whomever made the call to implement the new random loot. It sucks mightily.

Community Member

After reading the additional posts in this thread yesterday I decided to finally check the auction house last night to see what all the fuss was about (had not bothered to look before). Since the AS auction house had already been shut down I had to check the plat AH and was quite disappointed to see that nothing was for sale. The closest thing to an exploit I could find was 30 large sulfur stones for 2 million plat and honestly I am not even sure if that is an exploit (it could just be a great deal from someone unloading his supply). But even if I assume that is an exploit I did not see any good augments or scales or anything else. Now this is fine for me because I had no intention of buying anything anyway (part of the fun for me is filling up my ingredients and collectibles bags as I play the game and adding to them from the AH does nothing for me), but it appears all the complaints have been for nothing. If there is not even enough of a supply to spill over into the plat auction house when the ASAH is closed then there must not be that big of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    After reading the additional posts in this thread yesterday I decided to finally check the auction house last night to see what all the fuss was about (had not bothered to look before). Since the AS auction house had already been shut down I had to check the plat AH and was quite disappointed to see that nothing was for sale. The closest thing to an exploit I could find was 30 large sulfur stones for 2 million plat and honestly I am not even sure if that is an exploit (it could just be a great deal from someone unloading his supply). But even if I assume that is an exploit I did not see any good augments or scales or anything else. Now this is fine for me because I had no intention of buying anything anyway (part of the fun for me is filling up my ingredients and collectibles bags as I play the game and adding to them from the AH does nothing for me), but it appears all the complaints have been for nothing. If there is not even enough of a supply to spill over into the plat auction house when the ASAH is closed then there must not be that big of a problem.
    Plat is easy to get and doesn't hold the value it once did. AS has a lot more value and you can buy almost anything with them. After the P2WAH was closed, word of what was happening spread like wildfire, at least on my server it did. People could have pulled their posts off from AH and I know some were trying to "cover their tracks". Before yesterday I was oblivious to what was happening and I perused the AH like I normally do every day. I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary myself. With plat so easy to come by for some of us, posts could have been bought up fairly quickly. I doubt too many people were posting stuff that aren't obviously valuable. I know some were trying to use this exploit the smart way by not posting 100 at a time and not too many of the same thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast