Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The astral shard based economy could be totally ruined...

... and i wouldnt care even a bit.

Seriously, i would even buy some outfits or another non pay-to-reward-lazyness item in the store to celebrate.

Sitting in the plat cap i earned playing the game and not being able to buy anything worth because someone at Turbine wanted to get money not for making a better game but for adding some stuff to give the "rich daddy little sunshines" some advantajes makes me feel that way, i'm such a bad person.

I'm not a fan of the AS mkt, but:

Bitter, Party of ONE!

I would wager that the majority of money spend on this game isn't handed out by parents... Now get off my lawn and get a job, ya bum!
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post

I would wager that the majority of money spend on this game isn't handed out by parents... Now get off my lawn and get a job, ya bum!
    You mind getting me some toilet paper first plze? watch where you step when im gone.

I agree.

However, most in game economy impact is greatly exagerated, so dont expect the entire economic sky to fall, so to speak.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Bitter, Party of ONE!

You have a lawn? how much did that cost in the DDO store.

Bitter, Party of ONE!

Hey, watch out what you say, I'm a rich person!, i have around 30 millions of plats that can be used to....

....oh, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiguo View Post
    ... and i wouldnt care even a bit.

Seriously, i would even buy some outfits or another non pay-to-reward-lazyness item in the store to celebrate.

Sitting in the plat cap i earned playing the game and not being able to buy anything worth because someone at Turbine wanted to get money not for making a better game but for adding some stuff to give the "rich daddy little sunshines" some advantajes makes me feel that way, i'm such a bad person.
    sorry, the recent "issues" will have practically zero effect.

Just buy the stuff if you really want it, or don't.
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Hey, watch out what you say, I'm a rich person!, i have around 30 millions of plats that can be used to....

....oh, right.
    Plat still has a place and can be converted up into more valuable currency if you keep a close eye out for consumables that will hold their value. I've been transferring my plat into raid bypasses and jeweler's toolkits recently. Both have shown an ability to be a valuable, tradable resource in the past. Unfortunately, toolkits are probably going to tank in value due to recent situations, but bypasses still should hold their trade value. They may even become more valuable once a new raid hits early next year. I guess my point is, don't directly look to turn your plat into high value items. Instead turn your plat into lower value, high demand items first, then trade those for your high value items.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Jokes aside . . . still not sure how the AS-based economy is adversely affected. It looks like the currency least vulnerable to shenanigans. Looking at ingredients like red-scales . . . Epic Gianthold already killed their value. My tin-foil hat told me the epic black armor was intentionally made to make Red armor worthless so it'd make room for astral shards replacing reds as the trade commodity of choice.

Items are still items, shards are still for all intents and purposes real money. Shenanigans didn't make the Dream Visor worthless, random loot did. The stuff that's still valuable is still valuable, the stuff which was potentially affected wasn't worth anything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Plat still has a place and can be converted up into more valuable currency if you keep a close eye out for consumables that will hold their value. I've been transferring my plat into raid bypasses and jeweler's toolkits recently. Both have shown an ability to be a valuable, tradable resource in the past. Unfortunately, toolkits are probably going to tank in value due to recent situations, but bypasses still should hold their trade value. They may even become more valuable once a new raid hits early next year. I guess my point is, don't directly look to turn your plat into high value items. Instead turn your plat into lower value, high demand items first, then trade those for your high value items.
    If it was just making plat appear out of thin air I think it would do less damage, we have seen this happen twice before and the economy recovered in a few months but this one sounds like it will have longer reaching consequences. Sure the sky wont fall down but be kind of ....bleh for some who had a surplus of certain materials and would of used em a bit in trades to get stuff they needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Jokes aside . . . still not sure how the AS-based economy is adversely affected. It looks like the currency least vulnerable to shenanigans. Looking at ingredients like red-scales . . . Epic Gianthold already killed their value. My tin-foil hat told me the epic black armor was intentionally made to make Red armor worthless so it'd make room for astral shards replacing reds as the trade commodity of choice.

Items are still items, shards are still for all intents and purposes real money. Shenanigans didn't make the Dream Visor worthless, random loot did. The stuff that's still valuable is still valuable, the stuff which was potentially affected wasn't worth anything anyway.
    was also the random loot gen the final nail in the coffin of redscale? I had some so I could have the seeker in a slot with the heavy fort and some other useful stuff but now got more options to slot stuff with the random loot get, so can fit the blackscale in and still get +10 seeker or better depending on weapon.

Hey redscale does still look kind of cool though eh? People still pay a lot to strut their stuff in the market place lol.
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 10-07-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Another thing about shards . . . every transaction makes Turbine profit as it taxes 30%. it doesn't matter if the value of stuff lessens (seriously, nobody is paying 1000 AS for your boots of the innocent) as long as transactions occur.

Every purchase of AS takes 30% out of the system, meaning more AS need to be bought. Looks like a win for Turbine.

The only thing really affected was the True Imperial blood, it went from over 1000 ads to around 500 ads in Thelanis, but the abyssal drop rate will ensure it's value grows again soon (unless of course, everyone now has magically all they'll need for any char they roll ever).

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    was also the random loot gen the final nail in the coffin of redscale? I had some so I could have the seeker in a slot with the heavy fort and some other useful stuff but now got more options to slot stuff with the random loot get, so can fit the blackscale in and still get +10 seeker or better depending on weapon.

Hey redscale does still look kind of cool though eh? People still pay a lot to strut their stuff in the market place lol.
    Red-scale is good twink armor at this point, that's about it. But do to the PRR change and I now have robes on the toons who wear armor and armor on the toons that wear robes mine are all but worthless.

Black already made it worthless before the newest in random-gen ubberness hit DDO.

Biggest shame: Whisperchain. Didn't even survive one update before it was ready for the glue-factory.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    If it was just making plat appear out of thin air I think it would do less damage, we have seen this happen twice before and the economy recovered in a few months but this one sounds like it will have longer reaching consequences. Sure the sky wont fall down but be kind of ....bleh for some who had a surplus of certain materials and would of used em a bit in trades to get stuff they needed.
    This one will be a bit different. There will be some players that will never have a need to go out of their way for certain things... ever... for 10,000 lifetimes. There will be good, honest, fair players who are proxy hurt because of this situation. Things that once had a predictable, stable value are just not that stable right now. If Turbine doesn't act on stockpiles somehow, these items will never be stable again.

However, if the game advances, the situation can be fixed simply by making newer more desirable alternatives, making old stockpiles of items basically worthless. Someone has 1000 red scales? Good for them. Turbine releases "Pristine" Flawless Red Scales next update for a newer better red armor. Too many LDS in circulation. Meh, epic shroud gets released eventually. Now Flawless Devil Scales are the new shiny. This is how I personally would "fix" the situation. Mass bannings, while justified, will likely only hurt this game further. A rollback could be even worse. Obsoleting the ill-gotten gains over time is the best alternative.

Yes this newest situation is bad, but it is isolated to a small subset of things. Turbine has control over how valuable these things can be through the normal advancement of the game.

The only thing really affected was the True Imperial blood, it went from over 1000 ads to around 500 ads in Thelanis, but the abyssal drop rate will ensure it's value grows again soon (unless of course, everyone now has magically all they'll need for any char they roll ever).
    What's better for turbine . . . one items that DOESN'T sell for 1000 AS or five items that DO SELL for 100 each?

The second situation actually has AS leaving the economy, requiring points to replace them, which ultimately leads to a cash purchase.

The first situation gains no money for Turbine.

What's better for turbine . . . one items that DOESN'T sell for 1000 AS or five items that DO SELL for 100 each?

The second situation actually has AS leaving the economy, requiring points to replace them, which ultimately leads to a cash purchase.

The first situation gains no money for Turbine.
    Why would you buy an item again when the magic faeries just left over 8999 copies inside your bags to find when you wake up?

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    This one will be a bit different. There will be some players that will never have a need to go out of their way for certain things... ever... for 10,000 lifetimes. There will be good, honest, fair players who are proxy hurt because of this situation. Things that once had a predictable, stable value are just not that stable right now. If Turbine doesn't act on stockpiles somehow, these items will never be stable again.

However, if the game advances, the situation can be fixed simply by making newer more desirable alternatives, making old stockpiles of items basically worthless. Someone has 1000 red scales? Good for them. Turbine releases "Pristine" Flawless Red Scales next update for a newer better red armor. Too many LDS in circulation. Meh, epic shroud gets released eventually. Now Flawless Devil Scales are the new shiny. This is how I personally would "fix" the situation. Mass bannings, while justified, will likely only hurt this game further. A rollback could be even worse. Obsoleting the ill-gotten gains over time is the best alternative.

Yes this newest situation is bad, but it is isolated to a small subset of things. Turbine has control over how valuable these things can be through the normal advancement of the game.
    Not really...lets say I didn't already have 30 LDS in the bank and bought some cheap....I still don't have the shards I need to build endless GS items, or essences of cleansing...same with flawless reds...The Cormyr armour is pretty poor (ml 23???) and for Velah armour I still need the shard.. farming for these shards would bring in a lot of scales anyway.

Right now I think there are a few people getting over the smug realisation of having beaucoup scales and getting used to the idea of still having to run 20 Von6 and shroud.
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Quote Originally Posted by relenttless View Post
    Not really...lets say I didn't already have 30 LDS in the bank and bought some cheap....I still don't have the shards I need to build endless GS items, or essences of cleansing...same with flawless reds...The Cormyr armour is pretty poor (ml 23???) and for Velah armour I still need the shard.. farming for these shards would bring in a lot of scales anyway.

Right now I think there are a few people getting over the smug realisation of having beaucoup scales and getting used to the idea of still having to run 20 Von6 and shroud.
    Very true. There are other bottlenecks in effect, at least for some systems. Using scales to actually craft armor isn't the thing that could destroy the economy. Personal uses aren't concerning on a large scale.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Default The asah had its time. Time to take it away. It is a failed experiment imo.

I think the astral shards should be taken away as an auction house. Why play content for items if the items can be bought with real money and avoid the content all together?

What kind of game is that?

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    I think the astral shards should be taken away as an auction house. Why play content for items if the items can be bought with real money and avoid the content all together?

What kind of game is that?
    It gives power-gamers a reason to run something they've beaten already, they can sell stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast