Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Question! Newb or Noob?

Is there a clearly defined point at which you stop being the former and start being the latter? and if so what is it? Just curious(and mildly suffering early stages of withdrawal).
    Discuss..............
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by xXbikergirlXx View Post
    Is there a clearly defined point at which you stop being the former and start being the latter? and if so what is it? Just curious(and mildly suffering early stages of withdrawal).
    Discuss..............
    Noober.

Community Member

That is an easy one for me (of course only my opinion)

A newb is just a new player to any game...once he learns the game he stops being a newb.

A noob never stops being a noob. It is just a person who does not want or can not learn a game.
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

Discuss..............
    Most people grow out of being a newb.....some never stop being a noob.
    Agro - Paryan, Pary, Parrii, Parriahh
    Bringers of Darkness

The distinction is easy:

Newb: someone who is aware that he has a lot to learn about the game and is willing to learn.

Noob: someone who may or may not be aware that he has a lot to learn about the game but is definitely not willing to learn.

Edit: ninja'd by Dunklerlindwurm

1. Open a thesaurus and look up any word. You'll find a string of additonal words with similiar if not identical meanings that you can sub out at any moment in any conversation.
    2. Open a dictionary and look up any word that has multiple meanings in context (homonyms).

Now consider how opinionated your typical gamer is. Especially the breed known as a "forumite".

Conclusion: Noob, newb, nooblet, newbie, etc pretty much all mean the same thing. Except in context. And even then, part of the context isn't simply lingual.....it also includes the context of the person using it. (Are they joking, angry, your best friend, some ultra-elite powergamer with the prerequisite chip on the shoulder?)

Personally, in my world, you are either a new player or a (insert prefered variation of noob here). I use this word as a synonym for being an idiot (or at least acting like one).

Keeps things simple. And is a pretty solid approximation of actual status. But hey, it's your word in your world.....use it as you will.....
    "I gots me a bad feeling about this..."

Quote Originally Posted by GrrArgh View Post
    Conclusion: Noob, newb, nooblet, newbie, etc pretty much all mean the same thing.
    Not at all. A newbie (aka newb) is someone who is new to the game. Noobs are simply players who fail to migrate beyond the status of newbie regardless of time spent.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Emphasis on the words pretty much. Ice cream is nothing like sorbet. Cream vs juice. But they are pretty much the same thing when compared with pot roast.

Emphasis on the words pretty much. Ice cream is nothing like sorbet. Cream vs juice. But they are pretty much the same thing when compared with pot roast.
    Great, now I'm hungry. Thanks a lot!

Similar attributes but little else. I never consider them to be the same regardless of what I compare them against.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 10-07-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Smile

O.k. so my question was slightly tongue in cheek but now it's got me thinking. I have got a toon to cap(NOooo.... please don't do a rollback) but it certainly wasn't because I know the game, more like I know RPG's. There are still many quests I have not even tried and when a player invites me to a quest I nearly always think 'which one is that?' or 'what do those letter's stand for?' I rarely group because I am just too slow(My dog has better keyboard and mouse skills!) and typing while questing!! How is that even possible? Do I understand how weapon damage works? that'll be a no, do I understand Armour Class and Fortification slightly more than weapon damage HOWEVER I really enjoy playing and if the fact I am having difficulty learning the ins and outs of the game makes me a Noob then so be it!
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Discuss..............
    Newb: people give you the guided tour, explain how things work. give you stuff to get started..

Noob: PM to other party members,, reforming party after this quest.. without this one....
    Last edited by JOTMON; 10-08-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

My point being that when you have things that share common characteristics they are similar.
    While I can - if pressed - concede differences in newb and noob......depending on who I'm speaking with the subtleties may be lost and quite often are. It's not worth the misunderstanding.

Meanwhile there are no subtleties when comparing a new guy (or a new player) with someone acting like an idiot. They can still be one and the same. Or not. But it's far less confusing. For everyone. And less stressful for me in the long run.

If I give you 3 people. A new player, someone who's been playing for years but still prefers to zerg off and die and blame everyone else in the PUG on a quest 5 levels below his character level, and someone who consistently runs PUGs with proper ettiquette and consideration for his fellow players and their (potentially) different levels of DDO-playing skill.....then two of these guys demonstrate qualities that are quite similar - regardless of the underlying source (new vs idiot).

But as stated in my first post, this is the way I prefer to see the words in my world. Use yours as you will.

While I can - if pressed - concede differences in newb and noob......depending on who I'm speaking with the subtleties may be lost and quite often are. It's not worth the misunderstanding.
    In this case you're dealing with both an MMO community and the OP who clearly knows there is a difference. So misunderstandings are going to be minimal.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 10-07-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Would a noob be someone on a legend character playing a toon with 15 ranger levels and he keeps getting held and killed and hes the only one in the party who can cast fom........but he doesn't bother to slot it even though hes asked at all the multiple shrines his soul stone is carried to? But never fails to summon that sacrificial razor cat and uber mass long strider even though everyone has 30% striders of some sort? Good thing one guy had house K boots funny thing that guy was the only one not to die once in that quest.

Run across so many rangers with more than 15 ranger levels and they get held they die then get mad at someone *else* for not casting fom on them..........are those kinds of people noobs?

Discuss..............
    The point at which you transition from a newb to a noob can be found in the moments immediately after your first death (and even subsequent ones). When you die, you can have two reactions
    1) What did I do wrong, and what can I do to prevent it from happening again?
    -or-
    2) I'm awesome, there's no reason I died except because of someone else. F- the healer, he let me die. It was lag. My gameplay is awesome and so DDO suxxors and I should post to the forums telling them how to design the game better /etc.

If you choose route one, you stay as a newb. If you choose option 2, you've become a newb.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

There are still many quests I have not even tried and when a player invites me to a quest I nearly always think 'which one is that?' or 'what do those letter's stand for?' I rarely group because I am just too slow(My dog has better keyboard and mouse skills!) and typing while questing!! How is that even possible? Do I understand how weapon damage works? that'll be a no, do I understand Armour Class and Fortification slightly more than weapon damage HOWEVER I really enjoy playing and if the fact I am having difficulty learning the ins and outs of the game makes me a Noob then so be it!
    So, basically, you're not new and you're not (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here..::wink: acting like an idiot. Sounds to me like you're just a guy I might run with. Not going to think one thing or the other of you. You just haven't run this one yet. Or remeber ho w to get here or there.....

::tongue-in-cheek:: It's not like they've ever redesigned any areas or moved any quests/NPCs around ever....and feats/enhancements have never changed. Everyone should know everything all the time after they get past their new stage, right? ::tongue-in-cheek::

Stepping back from everything for a moment just to make an idle comment.
    Maybe it's the server or times I run on, but I never see anyone but new guys refering to themselves as newbs. And I never see anyone ever use the word noob unless it's either a pointed joke between friends or when the person really could be using the word idiot instead. And with friends, context and pointed jokes....well they could use the word idiot too and it wouldn't matter. Describing the actions not the orgin of them.

Noobs also like to berate other peoples build choices/playstyle,

like this one group I was in where there were 2 pale masters and a WF AM and a WF FVS with an esos, and the WF AM tells the fvs to put the sword away and just heal the party... and he was serious...

Or the time I was in a group and a wf barb was telling a half elf monk ranger to put the bow away, and that his build was stupid and ranged toons couldnt do dps (the monkcher was second in the kill count at the time, ahead of the barb) and that he should reroll to a dps class like barb or fighter so people would take him in raids, and this was after motu...
    Last edited by Lonnbeimnech; 10-07-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    In this case you're dealing with both an MMO community and the OP who clearly knows there is a difference. So misunderstandings are going to be minimal.
    Yes, but in this informed panel of disussion we are discussing use of a word that occurs in a potentially (and I would even tend to believe largely) uninformed arena of individuals - i.e. the game at large. Misunderstandings can and do happen all the time there. And they're hardly infrequent. Just watch general and/or party chat. ::grin::

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Noobs also like to berate other peoples build choices/playstyle,

like this one group I was in where there were 2 pale masters and a WF AM and a WF FVS with an esos, and the WF AM tells the fvs to put the sword away and just heal the party... and he was serious...

Or the time I was in a group and a wf barb was telling a half elf monk ranger to put the bow away, and that his build was stupid and couldnt do dps (the monkcher was second in the kill count at the time, ahead of the barb) and that he should reroll to a dps class like barb or fighter so people would take him in raids, and this was after motu...
    Should of told that WF barb hes a noob and should tr into a real barb race like horc, and stop being such a SP sponge lol, or even better into something else besides barbarian .

Lol who in *that* party is going to need heals? heck the FS might not even be able to heal half the party if those pms are in form or is he going to be chewed out if he didnt have Harm? lawl.

I guess im a bad culprit with me telling other people how to play their toons, if you have 15+ ranger levels and your complaining about not having fom slot it yourself FFFFFSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast