Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default The perspective of a newer player

I've been debating on whether or not I should spend anymore time on this game and so far from what I've seen is that the population seems to be going down. I do play on Khyber and got to level 5 and it took me over an hour to find a guild to join after posting in General and in Trade that I was looking for a guild many times (Not spamming mind you). I do know before that Khyber use to have an active trade/general chat but what happened to that server.. it seems to be a ghost town. (Oh, and that guild I ended up joining wasn't very active.)

It seems now more than ever with the dwindling population Solo is the way to go. Am I wrong? I have also noticed that it seems like Turbine pushes people to TR. I mean what is this? A Hack N' Slash game? D3? Why not create an endgame rather than see people TR'ing a million damn times. I think that's the part that bothers me most is that when you reach level cap, well best thing to do is TR because really...what is there to do at level cap? I could be wrong but after reading the forums over the past few weeks it seems there is no endgame and it seems best to just TR. No wonder Turbine can't hold onto new players because as a new player when I reach level cap the last thing I want to do is level all over again.

Now, I have played off and on since I created this account (highest character was level 8 or 9) and I have to say I enjoyed being able to use the AH. That now feels ruined because people now just put the better gear up on the other AH that requires the Astral Shards or whatever they are called. Personally, I don't think it was a smart move. It reminds me of the Real Money AH in D3 and that's now being removed because it didn't provide the best gaming experience and that was coming from the community.

Also, can people list the bugs? I see so many bug threads but what are they? What are the game breaking ones? I did see the ransack thread regarding the re-rolls applying towards it. Would it be better if a list of bugs was just in one thread/place for turbine to see even if they don't ever plan to fix them or at least for other players.

As a "newer" player what would appeal to me more and make me want to stay is if:

1) Turbine got rid of the Astral Shard AH

2) Fixed known bugs

3) Create an Endgame for those not pushing to Level/TR many times over

4) May want to actually MARKET the game.. most companies who decide not to spend money on marketing eventually burn out

5) Stop creating new content and fix what you have first or the bugs just keep piling on and on making the game look less appealing for both vets and new players

6) Revert back to the old forums. These forums are terrible, what happened to the old ones? I know Turbine knows but a Website can make or break keeping someone on it. I know returning and seeing these forums I didn't want to post or look at them, just being honest.

7) Communication. The lack of developer to player communication is amazing to me. I have seen other games doing well because the company communicates with their player base and lets them know what direction they want to head and listens to feedback. Again, after just reading the forums throughout the last few weeks I don't see that type of communication with Turbine and their player base, unless I'm missing the threads as I sleep or something.

Lastly, when I came back to these forums and reading them so often during the last few weeks I noticed one thing there were MANY negative threads. They were in regards to bugs, the ASAH, and no Endgame. That doesn't look good for a new player just checking the game out before they even download it.

Sorry for the long winded post. This game is different than most and has potential but I think Turbine might be too blind to see that.

nvm. I forgot what year this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    nvm. I forgot what year this is.
    2009 right, the op says he's new and that's his join date.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Have no fear, the "all is fine" fanbois will stop by shortly and let you know you have nothing to be concerned about.
    heh there's a lot to be concerned with but the op is still pretty ridiculous with how he/she claims to be new and joined in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    2009 right, the op says he's new and that's his join date.
    bah! 2 derps in one night. I take it back. im going to bed. if this thread is still active tomorrow ill post something less derpy.

Community Member

heh there's a lot to be concerned with but the op is still pretty ridiculous with how he/she claims to be new and joined in 2009.
    You do realize I said my highest level character was level 8 or 9, period. Yeah, join date is in 2009 because due to real life and business I couldn't play very often if at all. Anytime I tried to play I would end up having to stop which is why since 2009 my highest level character was level 8 or 9. I think my concerns are pretty straight forward and to the point. The last time I played prior to the other day was over a year ago maybe more and even then I didn't play much.

Just because you see a join date of 2009 doesn't mean a person can't be a newer player due to time constraints...not very smart are we? See, a person can create an account, start to play, but then leave for awhile...but I guess that is too hard for you to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Falvicar27 View Post
    You do realize I said my highest level character was level 8 or 9, period. Yeah, join date is in 2009 because due to real life and business I couldn't play very often if at all. Anytime I tried to play I would end up having to stop which is why since 2009 my highest level character was level 8 or 9. I think my concerns are pretty straight forward and to the point. The last time I played prior to the other day was over a year ago maybe more and even then I didn't play much.

Just because you see a join date of 2009 doesn't mean a person can't be a newer player due to time constraints...not very smart are we? See, a person can create an account, start to play, but then leave for awhile...but I guess that is too hard for you to figure out.
    Or you're full of it and lying. Guess you've never realized someone can say thing that aren't true on the internet. When visible facts contradict what a person says the safe assumption is they're a liar.

Community Member

Or you're full of it and lying. Guess you've never realized someone can say thing that aren't true on the internet. When visible facts contradict what a person says the safe assumption is they're a liar.
    Yes, because I have nothing better to do with my time and sit there and make things up. I posted things that I see as a "NEWER" player that didnt get to play much due to REAL LIFE from when I created my account. Sorry, I didn't make a NEW account. I didn't realize I had to just so that my post can be taken seriously. Please, grow up, or go post in another thread. Right now all you're doing is derailing my thread which is against forum rules. I asked a question and honestly all you're doing is creating a negative experience. You're just making it easier for me to spend money else where.

. . .someone can say thing that aren't true on the internet . . .

The Giants are a great football team!

Wow, you really CAN say anything on the internet.

If you've been playing since 2009 and your highest level is 8-9 I wouldn't worry about end game until 2020 or so

The Giants are a great football team!

Wow, you really CAN say anything on the internet.
    I'm the emperor of Canada.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

I'm not gonna touch the rest of the stuff, but really you can't complain about endgame.

1. You're not capped.

2. The time it will take you to actually reach 20(soft cap), let alone 26/28(Hard cap) means that you don't have to worry about end game for a very long time. The reason most vets give the advice to TR your first life toon as soon as you get to cap is because chances are your first life is going to be absolute sh*t. You can't play end game with a sh*t toon, so TRing is your best option.

3. The main reason most vets on the forums complain about there being no end game is because they've played for so long they have all the gear they want, all the past lives they want, and they don't have anything to run anymore. They're also probably about 20% of the total DDO population.

I know at least 300-400 people on the Argo server, all of whom play capped characters. All of whom play almost every day for a few hours a day. Is this possible if there is no end game? I don't think so..

What most of the forumites mean when they say there is no "end game" is that there aren't many end game raids that are relevant when you already have all the gear from them. Now, there are raid to run if you want to run them, and want the gear. But most vets already have the gear.
    But chances are you can fill almost any raid you throw an LFM up for.

Also, you mention the dwindling population, and then the fact that you couldn't join a good guild right away. The guild thing is because of the way guilds are implemented in DDO. Unlike in other games where you can have hundreds, or thousands of people in the same guild and it doesn't affect you to much, for the longest time you couldn't do this in DDO because of the way renown worked. This bred a very close, tight-nit community of guilds. Which means that unlike in other games where you can log in and spam general chat for guild invites and get 15 invites in seconds and be in a good guild, the same will never happen in DDO. You have to run with people, get to know them, and the try to join their guild; In other words, you have to earn your place in a guild, you don't just get given a spot.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

I'm a nice person.

Oh gods, this changes everything!
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

I thought Canada was a republic, ruled by a council of penguins.

I thought Canada was a republic, ruled by a council of penguins.
    Funny thing about penguins, if you have a bucket of fish and tell them to do something and they can have the fish, they tend to do it. So much for an enlightened Penguinocracy.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

1) Turbine got rid of the Astral Shard AH

I think it was mostly put in to earn a little extra cash for the game. Love it or hate it, this game is a business. I'm not a huge fan either but it doesn't change anything for the most part. And loot drops are great nowadays...the gap between the gear of casual and vet players has gotten much smaller.

2) Fixed known bugs

Some they fix right away, some sit for years without being addressed. I think they're doing a decent job. But they don't often let anything sit that's game breaking. It's a smaller game, they just don't have the resources of bigger MMOs so considering that they're doing OK I think.

3) Create an Endgame for those not pushing to Level/TR many times over

There is...the forums make it seem like TRing is the thing to do but many players are happy staying at cap I'm one of them. And they create new content on a regular basis, any game is only going to have so many things to do.

4) May want to actually MARKET the game.. most companies who decide not to spend money on marketing eventually burn out

This isn't WOW...they do market some but you're not gonna see commercials on TV anytime soon. It's a small niche game.

5) Stop creating new content and fix what you have first or the bugs just keep piling on and on making the game look less appealing for both vets and new players

New content makes them money, fixing minor bugs just isn't as important.

6) Revert back to the old forums. These forums are terrible, what happened to the old ones? I know Turbine knows but a Website can make or break keeping someone on it. I know returning and seeing these forums I didn't want to post or look at them, just being honest.

I agree. But it's all in the name of marketing which you claimed they don't do...

7) Communication. The lack of developer to player communication is amazing to me. I have seen other games doing well because the company communicates with their player base and lets them know what direction they want to head and listens to feedback. Again, after just reading the forums throughout the last few weeks I don't see that type of communication with Turbine and their player base, unless I'm missing the threads as I sleep or something.

Agreed, but it is getting better. And they definitely listen to feedback. Just look at the recent Warpriest tree for example...they replaced the cleric protector tree because people hated it. They had surveys asking for player feedback constantly for the new enhancement system before it went through.

Astral Shard AH - I don't agree with it either, but I don't see it as game breaking.

Known Issues can be found here - https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...l-Known-Issues
    To be honest while they are frustrating, it's not nearly as bad as even some newer games (I'm looking at you, Dragon's Prophet)

Endgame - TRing is great - new game plus, you get to feel super powerful, and something to do when you have perfect gear. They don't have endgame (28) content very much because it will be raised to 30 in the next year. How would you feel about grinding out a bunch of stuff a second time after already doing it once this year?
    TRing allows higher level players to interact with and teach lower level players should they be so inclined- with a dwindling community, it's rather healthy.

Marketing -They don't get enough money from Warner Brothers to properly staff their team, let alone advertise.

Stop creating new content - What? Stop creating content, and there is no endgame.

Revert back to the old forums - No argument here

Honestly, stop reading the forums. The community here is whiny. Turbine is understaffed and does well with being understaffed. You get a lot of players that feel entitled here and it's just silly the amount of complaining people do. We have a lot of older players and so everybody's articulate, so it makes the whining look like a legitimate argument.

Enjoy the game before even reading the forums. The forums will make you worried, upset, and confused all at the same time.

Don't call the community rude, don't say anything about this community. The forums aren't great, but if you've seen the wonderful amazing things this community has done and has to offer, you wouldn't be so dang upset at everything.
    ~Sarlona~ - Proud Member of The Unrepentant
    Maelodic - Rockin all the day long
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

Come on, OP, it's hard to take you seriously because you're a "new player" who joined 4 years ago and you're complaining about endgame despite your claim that in 4 years the highest level you've managed to reach is 8 or 9. I guess they better fix endgame by 2023 or you'll ragequit!

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

What is everyone's problem?

I am sure Falvicar is a newer player. The game went F2P in September 2009. Falvicar probably tried the game out and then quit playing. Total cash out of pocket was ZERO. Which was the idea of the F2P model.

Falvicar, you got two of the worse current trolls in your thread so you can ignore them. Go to settings in the upper right. Edit Ignore list. Add their names.

BTW, I have yet to cap a character and I have been playing since 2007. My goals in the game do not match the goals of other players. But according to some in this thread, that makes me a bad player.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 10-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    What is everyone's problem?

I am sure Falvicar is a newer player. The game went F2P in September 2009. Falvicar probably tried the game out and then quit playing. Total cash out of pocket was ZERO. Which was the idea of the F2P model.

Falvicar, you got two of the worse current trolls in your thread so you can ignore them. Place your mouse over their names and ignore.

BTW, I have yet to cap a character and I have been playing since 2007. My goals in the game do not match the goals of other players. But according to some in this thread, that makes me a bad player.
    Bad, good, inexperienced, not new, and it's safer to assume troll than some odd situation when presented with contradictory information. If It Looks Like A Horse, Walks Like A Horse and Sounds Like A Horse, It's Probably Not A Zebra. So the safe bet is that the op was trolling and lying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast