I've been debating on whether or not I should spend anymore time on this game and so far from what I've seen is that the population seems to be going down. I do play on Khyber and got to level 5 and it took me over an hour to find a guild to join after posting in General and in Trade that I was looking for a guild many times (Not spamming mind you). I do know before that Khyber use to have an active trade/general chat but what happened to that server.. it seems to be a ghost town. (Oh, and that guild I ended up joining wasn't very active.)
It seems now more than ever with the dwindling population Solo is the way to go. Am I wrong? I have also noticed that it seems like Turbine pushes people to TR. I mean what is this? A Hack N' Slash game? D3? Why not create an endgame rather than see people TR'ing a million damn times. I think that's the part that bothers me most is that when you reach level cap, well best thing to do is TR because really...what is there to do at level cap? I could be wrong but after reading the forums over the past few weeks it seems there is no endgame and it seems best to just TR. No wonder Turbine can't hold onto new players because as a new player when I reach level cap the last thing I want to do is level all over again.
Now, I have played off and on since I created this account (highest character was level 8 or 9) and I have to say I enjoyed being able to use the AH. That now feels ruined because people now just put the better gear up on the other AH that requires the Astral Shards or whatever they are called. Personally, I don't think it was a smart move. It reminds me of the Real Money AH in D3 and that's now being removed because it didn't provide the best gaming experience and that was coming from the community.
Also, can people list the bugs? I see so many bug threads but what are they? What are the game breaking ones? I did see the ransack thread regarding the re-rolls applying towards it. Would it be better if a list of bugs was just in one thread/place for turbine to see even if they don't ever plan to fix them or at least for other players.
As a "newer" player what would appeal to me more and make me want to stay is if:
1) Turbine got rid of the Astral Shard AH
2) Fixed known bugs
3) Create an Endgame for those not pushing to Level/TR many times over
4) May want to actually MARKET the game.. most companies who decide not to spend money on marketing eventually burn out
5) Stop creating new content and fix what you have first or the bugs just keep piling on and on making the game look less appealing for both vets and new players
6) Revert back to the old forums. These forums are terrible, what happened to the old ones? I know Turbine knows but a Website can make or break keeping someone on it. I know returning and seeing these forums I didn't want to post or look at them, just being honest.
7) Communication. The lack of developer to player communication is amazing to me. I have seen other games doing well because the company communicates with their player base and lets them know what direction they want to head and listens to feedback. Again, after just reading the forums throughout the last few weeks I don't see that type of communication with Turbine and their player base, unless I'm missing the threads as I sleep or something.
Lastly, when I came back to these forums and reading them so often during the last few weeks I noticed one thing there were MANY negative threads. They were in regards to bugs, the ASAH, and no Endgame. That doesn't look good for a new player just checking the game out before they even download it.
Sorry for the long winded post. This game is different than most and has potential but I think Turbine might be too blind to see that.