Community Member

Default drow warpriest question

I was thinking of making a drow cleric with strong ap in warpriest tree. Question is should I go short sword to benefit from drow tree bonus or go longsword and say screw the drow bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by cokemanjoe View Post
    I was thinking of making a drow cleric with strong ap in warpriest tree. Question is should I go short sword to benefit from drow tree bonus or go longsword and say screw the drow bonus.
    Would have to say that depends on a couple things:

•Are you going pure, or splashing monk?
    •Are you soloing high end content, or grouping for it?

If soloing, my opinion is stay pure for sure and focus on spells over melee (in other words Long over Short swords).

If running in a group, it may spread the AP a bit thin but a drow Warpriest/Ninja Clonk with shortswords healing through burst & aura could be some fairly effective flavortastic fun. Put a good damager or paralyzer in the primary hand, and a Luck Blade (with spell power augs) in the off hand... Ummmm tasty...
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 10-06-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

I say stick with shortswords. There are alot of good ones that aren't terribly difficult to farm and Warpriest "Articles of Faith" makes religion favored weapon a spell casting implement. And because the enhancements ADD to favored weapon enhancements that's upto +15 universal spell power (+5*3).
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Quote Originally Posted by kuro_zero View Post
    I say stick with shortswords. There are alot of good ones that aren't terribly difficult to farm and Warpriest "Articles of Faith" makes religion favored weapon a spell casting implement. And because the enhancements ADD to favored weapon enhancements that's upto +15 universal spell power (+5*3).
    Articles of faith is from the angel of vengeance line - OP mentioned a cleric, not an FvS.

Saying that, i'd still go with the shortswords & dream of a couple of celestias, plus if you're doing the popular monksplash option you can put a single AP into ninja spy path & stay centered.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Articles of faith is from the angel of vengeance line - OP mentioned a cleric, not an FvS.

Saying that, i'd still go with the shortswords & dream of a couple of celestias, plus if you're doing the popular monksplash option you can put a single AP into ninja spy path & stay centered.
    Yup you're right, that is in AoV line. A spell power augmented shortsword will do the same thing since automatically makes the weapon a spell casting implement. Dual celestia would be smexy but settle for the commendation Star of Day (farming for useful procs could be annoying tho). There's also Treason/Rebellion for farmable raid weaps and necro tome page shortsword looks like a decent alternative to GS for heroic leveling
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cokemanjoe View Post
    All comes down to AP, make sure you check what is possible APwise and adjust build based on that. There are some crazy combos in the game right now(especially with divine levels), but 80 AP will kill you.

A three-level splash into monk would be pretty effective if you want to focus on short swords. You can get access to the core 2 enhancement of the Ninja Spy tree which lets you use Dex for attack and damage. It would also give you evasion and better saves and allow you to focus on fewer ability scores. Of course many would argue that the clonk benefits most from stunning fist and handwraps. But I can certainly see a short-sword wielder being viable at heroic levels. I don't know how well it would compete in epic elite, although you'd function well enough as a healer for most purposes and have decent DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    A three-level splash into monk would be pretty effective if you want to focus on short swords. You can get access to the core 2 enhancement of the Ninja Spy tree which lets you use Dex for attack and damage. It would also give you evasion and better saves and allow you to focus on fewer ability scores. Of course many would argue that the clonk benefits most from stunning fist and handwraps. But I can certainly see a short-sword wielder being viable at heroic levels. I don't know how well it would compete in epic elite, although you'd function well enough as a healer for most purposes and have decent DPS.
    It'd be a laugh, and you can still choose light path for FoL too now... then a little in shintao & have the remove curse boost for healing ki to help in raids
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

My drow warpriest is using longswords. I picked up a couple off the AH with red augment slots, crafted them into decent +5 Holy weapons and dropped a Devotion augment in one and an Impulse augment in the other.

With the full 5 levels of the faith implement enhancements, they're both +10 holy weapons that boost my casting.

Community Member

All I ever hear about the Drow enhancement tree is how borked it is, but I'd recommend mapping out your planned AP expenditures and seeing where that takes you. Some builds do better if they don't invest much in their racial tree - it's just the way it works out sometimes. If it turns out to be that way for you, then you can pick the faith you want without worrying too much about. If not, well...shortswords are cool and so are vulkoorim, so what's the worst that can happen?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    All I ever hear about the Drow enhancement tree is how borked it is, but I'd recommend mapping out your planned AP expenditures and seeing where that takes you. Some builds do better if they don't invest much in their racial tree - it's just the way it works out sometimes. If it turns out to be that way for you, then you can pick the faith you want without worrying too much about. If not, well...shortswords are cool and so are vulkoorim, so what's the worst that can happen?
    Exactly the point I was trying to make about AP, Often there are no points left so may as well go human for the extra feat and skillpoints, or warforged for immunities and repairing self for casters etc etc. Due to the tight AP reqs for a lot of builds the best race is not the race with the best enhancements but the race with the best attributes/extras/synergies for the build that don't eat up AP.

Because the class enhancements are generally more powerful than the race enhancements a lot of strong builds are going to be human, especially builds tight on feats or skillpoints.