Community Member

Default Improved Sheild Bashing

Does this mechanic work as described or is it kind of a mess? Will the extra bashes fit into a normal attack animation sequence or does it still only work if you leave gaps while attacking?

Community Member

it works a bit like doublestrike, it just adds an extra attack in without replacing anything. it adds full STR bonus as you'd get with a 1-handed main hand attack, which is nice as they could have given us half STR bonus to match the off hand in TWF.

i put the 2 shield mastery feats above shield bash though for the pure doublestrike bonus
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

While it's not the most amazing feat out there, I think if you have the feat space & are going to be use shields a lot, it's certainly worth taking - on one of my characters who has stalwart defender, having an occasional automatic knockdown from a shield bash is pretty nice.

There are a few named shields particularly (shield of legend turn-ins, Bastion, some others) which have some pretty nice extra boosts for bashes too & it can add more dps than you might expect.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Improved Shield Bashing is fantastic if you're going to be using a shield in melee combat on a regular basis. When you add up the benefits of the sword and board style itself (both the defences and the mainhand doublestrike), the potential for pseudo-two weapon fighting from shield bashes, and the option of using a hand-and-a-half sword or dwarven axe to generate two-handed fighting style glancing blows, you can see that sword and board is an amazingly comprehensive combat mode... if you have the feats to support it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    While it's not the most amazing feat out there, I think if you have the feat space & are going to be use shields a lot, it's certainly worth taking - on one of my characters who has stalwart defender, having an occasional automatic knockdown from a shield bash is pretty nice.

There are a few named shields particularly (shield of legend turn-ins, Bastion, some others) which have some pretty nice extra boosts for bashes too & it can add more dps than you might expect.
    hmm, where does the knockdown come from?
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

The knockdown on vorpal bashes is a Stalwart Defender thing. Level 3 minimum core enhancement I think.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    The knockdown on vorpal bashes is a Stalwart Defender thing. Level 3 minimum core enhancement I think.
    ahh yes, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. it's the core 2 enhancement. my S&B char is a paly so i missed that.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    ahh yes, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. it's the core 2 enhancement. my S&B char is a paly so i missed that.
    Shield Striking is a pretty good incentive for taking a ftr 2 splash on a pally S&B tank, IMHO, presuming you take Imp Shield Bash. Haven't decided if Overbalance is worth it: but my calcs, there's a <2% chance of it proccing on any normal atk (presuming 35% shield procs from ISB+SS); but AFAICT there is no save, so hey - free knockdowns are good knockdowns!

Community Member

Default the best part of the feat, IMO

I believe the best part of this feat is not the free shield bash you get once in a while. Don't get me wrong, that's ok. But the best part for me is the fact that you keep your shield bonus to AC and PRR (physical resistance rating, avoiding damage from slashing, piercing and bludg attacks) while you shield bash.
    This means whenever you're blocking and hit attack, in normal conditions, you lose your shield bonus to AC and PRR. With this feat you keep it, and trust me, it's quite useful.

So many times i was with little hp left and no possible healing, saying "ok this is it, i'm dead"...But i just stand there, block (shift is the default key, same for tumbling) and start shield bashing. It can take a while to kill the guy, but you can be almost sure you will win

Hope i was helpful.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by harry-pancreas View Post
    I believe the best part of this feat is not the free shield bash you get once in a while. Don't get me wrong, that's ok. But the best part for me is the fact that you keep your shield bonus to AC and PRR (physical resistance rating, avoiding damage from slashing, piercing and bludg attacks) while you shield bash.
    This means whenever you're blocking and hit attack, in normal conditions, you lose your shield bonus to AC and PRR. With this feat you keep it, and trust me, it's quite useful.

So many times i was with little hp left and no possible healing, saying "ok this is it, i'm dead"...But i just stand there, block (shift is the default key, same for tumbling) and start shield bashing. It can take a while to kill the guy, but you can be almost sure you will win

Hope i was helpful.
    you can also time your blocking to negate things like a giants stomp, and with imp shield bash you can heep attack held down for that extra attack or two with the shield while the giant fails to knock you on your back

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    you can also time your blocking to negate things like a giants stomp, and with imp shield bash you can heep attack held down for that extra attack or two with the shield while the giant fails to knock you on your back
    indeed also when you see a spider is preparing the poison and such (and btw i shield bash for 100+ when i crit, on lvl 22. More than enough for me as a secondary attack :P)

Community Member

When I tested shield bashing it only went off on attacks with a pause afterwards. For my character, it was swings 2 and 4 of the normal 4 attack sequence. There are no double shield bashes, so it doesn't go off twice if your 2 or 4 attack double strikes. So I think it works on only normal swing 2 and four. You have a chance to get it to go off on swings 1 and 3 if you stop attacking after that swing, but that doesn't work well. So the real effect seems to be 1/2 the listed %, and doesn't scale with double strike.

Best thing is keeping the AC as stated above.

Community Member

Having had it around for a while now I believe it can proc. at just about any time but the animation will hold you up at specific moments. This is tricky to measure given the delay between swing/number but if the attack "sound" indicates when the bash occurs it can appear at any time EXCEPT during the 4th spin move (but it can occur directly afterwords).

Further, after some playing the % very close to accurate. It's just when the bash queues up can have a delay from the actual firing of the attack ie: attack 4.

Also, doublestrike ONLY works on mainhand weapons, unless specifically stated otherwise. The games pretty clear on that. So no, no doublestriking shield bashes

Additional info;
    Shield bash is affected by: Deadly, Power Attack, Seeker (as it can critically hit)
    Still to test: Imp. Crit, Overwhelming Crit, Dev. Crit (LONG way off testing these)

PS: Cleave and Great Cleave can proc it to fire immediately after the animation if you continue attacking.
    Final edit: I currently have only 3% doublestrike so if the attack animation changes substantially on doublestrike my findings may be inaccurate.
    Last edited by Xianio; 10-21-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
    Having had it around for a while now I believe it can proc. at just about any time but the animation will hold you up at specific moments. This is tricky to measure given the delay between swing/number but if the attack "sound" indicates when the bash occurs it can appear at any time EXCEPT during the 4th spin move (but it can occur directly afterwords).

Further, after some playing the % very close to accurate. It's just when the bash queues up can have a delay from the actual firing of the attack ie: attack 4.

Also, doublestrike ONLY works on mainhand weapons, unless specifically stated otherwise. The games pretty clear on that. So no, no doublestriking shield bashes

Additional info;
    Shield bash is affected by: Deadly, Power Attack, Seeker (as it can critically hit)
    Still to test: Imp. Crit, Overwhelming Crit, Dev. Crit (LONG way off testing these)

PS: Cleave and Great Cleave can proc it to fire immediately after the animation if you continue attacking.
    Final edit: I currently have only 3% doublestrike so if the attack animation changes substantially on doublestrike my findings may be inaccurate.

Still to test: Imp. Crit, Overwhelming Crit, Dev. Crit (LONG way off testing these) ----------> i believe if you get the feats it should work ? Can't say i'm sure but it still a bludgeoning weapon i guess (for imp crit for example)