Community Member

Default Shadowfall appears to be on a steroid cocktail

Disclaimer: This is another thread complaining about the expansion.

I took my lvl 21 bard in on Trackers Trap (1st quest in Stormhorns chain) on Heroic Elite. I got by arse handed to me in the first encounter. I figure, lvl 19 quest plus 2 elite equals 21. Okay, I figure greensteel, displacement, and hage aren't what they used to be. So I jump in on Heroic Hard. The first encounter goes considerably better. I'm plugging along, killing CR 23 gnolls and stuff, no big deal. Then I get to som ShadarKai assassins... WT F is up with them? Massive damage and a huge slow effect. That was messed up, but with some remove curse pots and some persistence, I get past them.

Then I get to the Hill Giant mini-boss and see that he has over 20,000 hit points. Wow. WT F all over again. So the guy couldn't really hurt me much, but wow did it take some time to beat down those hit points. I'm just a bard with fighter and rogue splash playing at melee, so my dps isn't spectacular, I concede, but figgin A, TWENTY THOUSAND??? It struck me as a lot at the time, but I beat him down after a little while.

Then I sat there thinking about the end fight which had more Shadarkai (I think) and didn't really feel like suffering through more. And I was looking at the piddley 8k xp I was going to get, and it sure didn't feel worth it.

So, there was an EH VON3 up, I get out of there and join that. Base 40k or more (there was a 28 in the group; I think that gave a penalty). And when we got to the red named troll right toward the end, I remember that he only had 10,000 xp. On EPIC HARD. So base 22 plus hard makes lvl 23 quest. So a level 23 quest boss has 1/2 the hp of a lvl 20 quest. Oh, and then the VON3 had 6 people in it, so there was scaling. When I ran the Trackers Trap, it was just me, so no scaling.

Now I'm starting to understand why folks on this forum say they don't bother with Shadowfell quests. They are too hard (for me at least) for the amount of reward (hardly anything) that they give. Maybe they are worth running once just to do it (and justify the money spent/wasted on buying the expansion).

This kind of sucks. The cap is raised to lvl 28, but the quests we were given to run are barely worth it. I think very soon I'll be able to run VON3 in my sleep. It's a good thing they took away the permanent repeat penalty!

I destroyed this quest, not sure what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Did you get xp better than what the quest lists from kind of super Satyriasys buff? Did the cr21 quest somehow have the mobs drop in health to be less than or equal to equivalent boss mobs in a cr23 quest? Did the named gear get somehow worth having as a special buff just to you?

I've beat the stormhorns on ee, some were hard, some were easy, all were poorly designed with horrible xp, and named loot not worthy of the server storage space it takes up.

Poor xp and loot is a problem for much of the game. A serious overhaul is needed. Stormhorns sure is beautiful tho and I find the quests really fun!

Poor xp and loot is a problem for much of the game. A serious overhaul is needed. Stormhorns sure is beautiful tho and I find the quests really fun!
    Sure it was pretty, fun though? It was a copy of previous other quests in the game and had no imagination used.

*makes mental note to remember this dude is F***IN AWESOME!!!*

Community Member

Default -

same, easy peasy with a ranger and a pally, and i'm not what someone would consider an "awesome player" (and it's not my goal anyways)...

I think i did it on elite, anyways, not normal for sure. Going slow and pulling enemies 1 by 1 sometimes, but that's my usual style.

Went into Wheloon slayer area (Epic) with a full group and was almost immediately surrounded by about 15 mobs. All of us got harried even though no alert status appeared, not even Geeen DA.

They slaughtered us because we could barely move. Most people were calling it lag, but it wasn't lag, it was harried. I saw the debuff Icon on the screen.

I first ran this one solo with my lev26 elf pure ranger AA on epic hard, and got my arse handed to me the first battle too. Then I restarted with with a bit more, ehem, A LOT more caution and crawled my way through it, I loved it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    Went into Wheloon slayer area (Epic) with a full group and was almost immediately surrounded by about 15 mobs. All of us got harried even though no alert status appeared, not even Geeen DA.

They slaughtered us because we could barely move. Most people were calling it lag, but it wasn't lag, it was harried. I saw the debuff Icon on the screen.

can't remember where, think Demonweb wilderness, happened the same to me. No alert but harried. We made it through tho