Community Member

Default Augment slots - useful at low levels?

I'm level 7. I go around collecting every collectible I can find, yet I'm not even close to getting any augment gems, not even the level 1's. It seems to me that by the time I collect enough for a level 4 or level 8 augment, I'd have far outleveled it. Is this a low level problem, am I just extremely unlucky, or are augments just not that useful?

Quote Originally Posted by WisdomOrFolly View Post
    I'm level 7. I go around collecting every collectible I can find, yet I'm not even close to getting any augment gems, not even the level 1's. It seems to me that by the time I collect enough for a level 4 or level 8 augment, I'd have far outleveled it. Is this a low level problem, am I just extremely unlucky, or are augments just not that useful?
    I don't bother with the level 4 augments at all. As a vet player, I'm just not in that level range long enough to matter. The only level 8 augments I typically bother with are spellpower augments. If I'm on a caster, I find them at least somewhat useful as they tend to be the same spellpower level you could get on other gear of a similar level. I keep an eye on the auction house to see if I can find them for a good price. I start looking even before I get to level 8 so, if possible, I have it waiting for me when I get there. The same goes for level 12, though you can trade in Gianthold at that point so you don't have to go out of your way to get most augments.

Most of the other augments are either just not worth the effort at low levels or are replicated (better) by regular old loot. If you're a melee, you're better off with a loot gen weapon without a red slot and a higher relative built in damage, than taking an enhancement bonus hit because of the slot then having to find an augment for an extra 1 or 2 damage.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Most augments are not very useful at low levels for three reasons:

1. Low-level augments have ridiculous minimum levels for what they provide you.
    2. Items with slots increase their minimum level, and at low levels you don't have a lot of room to play with.
    3. Turbine artificially restricts the supply so you'll buy them from the store or using astral shards.

In most cases you are much better off finding a friendly veteran and getting unbound crafting shards to implement what you want. That's especially true of skill augments, which have MLs so ridiculously high that they must have been set by someone who never plays. (A +7 skill augment is ML12. A +7 skill shard is ML5).

At level 7 you can use +4 crafted ability items, but augments are again ML12.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    I don't bother with the level 4 augments at all. As a vet player, I'm just not in that level range long enough to matter. The only level 8 augments I typically bother with are spellpower augments. If I'm on a caster, I find them at least somewhat useful as they tend to be the same spellpower level you could get on other gear of a similar level. I keep an eye on the auction house to see if I can find them for a good price. I start looking even before I get to level 8 so, if possible, I have it waiting for me when I get there. The same goes for level 12, though you can trade in Gianthold at that point so you don't have to go out of your way to get most augments.

Most of the other augments are either just not worth the effort at low levels or are replicated (better) by regular old loot. If you're a melee, you're better off with a loot gen weapon without a red slot and a higher relative built in damage, than taking an enhancement bonus hit because of the slot then having to find an augment for an extra 1 or 2 damage.
    Agreed in general.....before level 10 the quests and levels go by too fast to worry and the extra damage or AC or other effect just aren't necessary. The only thing sub-12 I look for are Feather Fall and Deathblock. After that it is grinding in Gianthold for L12/16 augs with fairly easy to get relics.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Wiz28 TR5 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/7 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Lvl 4

Yellow Slots = Feather Fall and Water Breathing

Blue Slots = Resistance +2

Lvl 8

Yellow Slots - Fear Immunity, Blindness Immunity {These are exceedingly useful}.

Blue Slots = Heavy Fortification

Lvl 12

Yellow = Deathblock

Blue = Lol

Lvl 16+

Yellow = Pointless - All the Best Yellow Augments are Min Lvl 12 or Lower!

Blue = Start getting False Life worth having over random gear around Lvl 24

Red Slots at all Lvls

Spellpower's fine
    DR Breakers tend to be too high min lvls but are very nice to have
    Elemental Dmgs = Rofl!

Community Member

Colourless slots tend to be the most useful at low levels, as they only cost the item "+1" on its enchantment level and can be used to fill in gaps on stat bonuses and the like. I tend to find Yellows and Greens more valuable later on, once the benefits they can grant are worth more than the cost of the slot and the items are better able to bear that cost without crippling their main effects. Blues are often nice where available, but have very limited availability: one in your armour and shield if you use one doesn't hurt, particularly to get fortification. Red slots tend to be good for casters at all levels and very poor for fighty types until high levels.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Lvl 4

Yellow Slots = Feather Fall and Water Breathing

Blue Slots = Resistance +2

Lvl 8

Yellow Slots - Fear Immunity, Blindness Immunity {These are exceedingly useful}.

Blue Slots = Heavy Fortification

Lvl 12

Yellow = Deathblock

Blue = Lol

Lvl 16+

Yellow = Pointless - All the Best Yellow Augments are Min Lvl 12 or Lower!

Blue = Start getting False Life worth having over random gear around Lvl 24

Red Slots at all Lvls

Spellpower's fine
    DR Breakers tend to be too high min lvls but are very nice to have
    Elemental Dmgs = Rofl!
    Nice write up. Maybe Turbine will look at this and actually make a change in the players favor...
    lol, like that will every happen.

With the above exceptions, Augment slots stink until 20+

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Elemental Dmgs = Rofl!
    Well, on named weapons it's better than an empty slot.

It looks like acid at least keeps trolls from regenerating and is generally less resisted than fire...?

Actually, I've been looking for red-slotted Cold Iron weapons lately, hoping that I could farm a bunch of those ML1 silver/light augments from Mabar... not sure how generally that helps any at "low" levels though.

And pre-U19 I liked to get an AML4 colorless-slotted armor and Con augments off the AH, and have Invulnerability and +2 Con at ML4, and later Life Shield of Invulnerability and +whatever Con, wearable about when I could craft them as a first life... well, those aren't anywhere as good any more.
    Last edited by mna; 10-06-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

I have a cannith crafted colorless slot item from level 1 onward for Voice of the Master. Now *that* makes slots worthwhile.