Community Member

Default Instant Red Alert (Belly of the Beast among others)

The quest mechanic, where high level of dungeon alert hits when a standard wave of mobs arrive, is just stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

Doing an EE version of the Belly of the Beast resulted in orange or red alert for every single wave. Every. Single. Wave.

I guess going there with a full party is foolish, you should just go there alone on a super-solo toon, and if you play a melee, you are just dumb and not ment to finish that saga (unless VIP or shard-skip). Red alert with regular mobs was doable with the party we were in, but orange alert with all orange blademasters was too hard, impossible to melee them while orange alert and the lag is going on.

Sagas added new enthusiasm to do epic quests, the awful failure at Belly of the Beast reinforced the will not to play. I sort of understand the logic of having dungeon alert around, but designing quests with unavoidable dungeon alert is just wrong. There really is no excuse for such poor quest implementation, it's an insult to the player base and just plain rude. Belly is more than a year old, and it still has this issue, and the newly introduced quests have the problem too. Are you guys ignorant, incapable, lazy or just plain evil?

Death Undone is doing it again too.

First time, wiped with a group in the last room. Came back by myself and completed ... but that first one super harsh.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

While I understand the sentiment you may want to delete your last sentence if you want to be taken seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    While I understand the sentiment you may want to delete your last sentence if you want to be taken seriously.

Wait, so you're saying I shouldn't insult my audience at the end of my message if I want them to take me seriously?

Community Member

Yeah, I guess that's a bit harsh, written in the heat of the moment.

Ah well, I'll leave it as is, it reflects my mood at the time of writing, even if I wasn't serious about devs actually being evil. I'll let others create new threads more eloquently.

Still, there is something wrong with the process, be it lack of testing, bad prioritizing by the management or what. The fact that scaling ups both the mob toughness _and_ the amount is probably the main culprit, so I can see how that might slip through. But, how that remains unfixed more than a year after the release, I'm still baffled. Not quite as angry as at the time of posting, just disappointed.

In case you didn't know, dungeon alert is caused by lots of mobs being aggroed. So, if one thinks about it very carefully, get more DPS to kill stuff, so you won't have as much dungeon alert. The solution space is very simple yet elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    In case you didn't know, dungeon alert is caused by lots of mobs being aggroed. So, if one thinks about it very carefully, get more DPS to kill stuff, so you won't have as much dungeon alert. The solution space is very simple yet elegant.
    The problem comes in when there are no aggroed mobs and then a pack spawns and goes straight to orange/red alert. This happens all the time and should not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

The problem comes in when there are no aggroed mobs and then a pack spawns and goes straight to orange/red alert. This happens all the time and should not.
    Right. Then re-apply the known solution recursively.