Default New Mob pinning + shardarkai chains = terribad

Up until recently if you got surrounded by mobs, and had enough jump skill, you could jump up and over the mobs swarming you, and crowd surf out of the pack. Now if you are surrounded by mobs, your feet get pinned to the floor and you are stuck until A) the mobs around you die or go bother someone else, B) you have max tumble and an ability that lets you tumble through enemies(still really slow to get out), C) you are a druid in winterwolf form and can use snowslide, or D) you Die.

Now couple that with the hilariously unbalanced Shardakai assassins black guards etc that love to invis up to you even when you are wearing a truesight item, surround you, and start swinging their AOE chain attacks that Slow you, lower your concentration, and do WAY TOO MUCH DPS. Why are these mobs given an ability that does more dps to a large area than their single target attacks do? on EH and up three shardarkai means almost instant death for anyone with less than 700hps, and even then... in epic normal there are times when 5 assassins pop out and surround you, if you can't knock em down/stun them instantly your goose is cooked. I have seen the boss shardarkai in the prison hit for 500+ a tick.

Whatever the concept behind the attack was and how we are supposed to deal with it(RUN AWAY) is simply not supported by the game engine(tumble is clunky to use at best, there is not enough time to move, Blocking doesn't stop enough damage)

There needs to be a legitimate counter like with tharak hounds, if they are using it and take damage they get knocked down. Or it fatigues them when they finish and they can't just start up again the moment they catch up to you. at a bare minimum their damage and area of effect should start off small and build over time, granted the moment it does damage it should reset to it's minimum damage and range(you only get one hit with a chain weapon before having to pull it back in and start your swing again)

There is a very big difference between challenging and simply frustrating

This is almost worse than the fire elementals in the SOS chain :| only bring toons with evasion is not a valid counter
    TL;DR important part in bold
    Formerly Rathic of harvestgain

Community Member

The chain attack demands mobility. A PC needs to keep moving when Shadar Kai assassins are about. At least the Shadar Kai cannot also move while swinging it.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

I kind of like having different type of mobs but over the last year + it seems that melee types have gotten a bunch of the hate, casters and ranged dps can jump around all over the place and still pretty much put out their best dps while melees? Not complaining about the shadowkai assasins but maybe some mobs that would annoy the kiters just as much?

Though it might provoke a **** load of rage compared to what the chains of lag/death caused .

mobs that teleport to you then hit you with a movement speed debuff then fight you? But a movement only not attack speed .

Community Member

Aw, c'mon.

Just trade your greataxe for a returning throwing axe, and range the Shadar Kai while they swing. Then switch back and lawnmower them as soon as they stop.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

If you are not capable of doing epic elite (EE), you can play on epic normal (EN) or even epic casual (EC) difficulties. EN and EC are there for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Aw, c'mon.

Just trade your greataxe for a returning throwing axe, and range the Shadar Kai while they swing. Then switch back and lawnmower them as soon as they stop.
    This about the only tactic that works,that and if your using a hire clicking his "come to me button" as fast as you can as you run away. Learned to do that real fast.

I understand you are supposed to move but if you keep moving than you can't kill them if you are melee. if they had a limit to how often they could do it, and had a more reasonable build up time before you got your face ripped off, you could get out, let them swing, get back in, and dps.

Or enable friendly fire for the baddies so if they just all clump up and swing they will take themselves out too.
    Formerly Rathic of harvestgain

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Aw, c'mon.

any idea how long it take to kill anything in epic with throwing weapon without specialized in it?

Community Member

It feels like the Shadarkai Assassins got weakened a little with the latest update, the damage from the chains feels lower and their health does too but maybe it's just me getting used to them. Previously I'd just run when I heard that wind up but now as long as I have displace up at least I'll go in and have a few swings at them, if someone else helps me they usually drop fast enough that the AoE is just a HP tax you get for killing them.

Their saves seem pretty weak so you can stun or maybe trip them too if that's your thing and if you have some sort of instant kill ability just save it for them rather than just letting rip whenever it's off cooldown, they're a cool monster with a unique ability that requires you pay attention rather than just face rolling. Please don't get them nerfed.

As for true sight not working, not sure how that works. I have only a a lowish spot and can still see them lurking in EEs, so not sure if it was that low spot getting them or the TS I had running but you can see some of them at least. I think some actually just spawn in and the spawn points are pretty close to you though, so that's an issue.

The rooted in place thing is no fun if you have no way of getting out and on paper at least seems to punish TWFers harder than THFs if you use movement to try and avoid it(less range on attacks and breaking attack chains on a TWFer is generally a bigger drop in DPS), but not sure if it should stay or go.

Quote Originally Posted by burningwind View Post
    any idea how long it take to kill anything in epic with throwing weapon without specialized in it?
    if that weapon has life stealing on it, not TOO long
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    if that weapon has life stealing on it, not TOO long
    Can we add adrenaline on it as well?

True Sight = True Seeing? If so, you won't see things that are hiding, just invisible things. Discerning hidden things is spot/listen.
    Last edited by Nuryam; 10-06-2013 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathic View Post
    I understand you are supposed to move but if you keep moving than you can't kill them if you are melee. if they had a limit to how often they could do it, and had a more reasonable build up time before you got your face ripped off, you could get out, let them swing, get back in, and dps.

Or enable friendly fire for the baddies so if they just all clump up and swing they will take themselves out too.
    Well you can you need to move in behind them as they do their animation and hit them in the back, also if you can stun or do any other CC its very helpful, but if it lags its less forgiving if your trying to melee, instead of jump backwards like a kangaroo in reverse. And you only doing damaged after you step around and get them from behind.