Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default Turbine Scheduled Maintenance Monday Oct. 7, 5AM – 12PM Eastern (-4 GMT)

All Turbine Game servers, forums, and myaccount.turbine.com will be unavailable on Monday October 7, 2013 from 5:00AM Eastern Time (-4 GMT) until 12:00PM Eastern Time (-4 GMT) for scheduled maintenance.

How is it possible that all this time has gone by an there are no replys to this thread???

Ok, so what's the downtime about, where are the release notes, will X, Y, or Z be fixed, why are you doing this downtime right when insert country is having a Bank Holiday, something about VIP and the money we've invested, something about getting reimbursed, something about an extended loot weekend, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Smile

me thinks Mabar???!!!! hints please????

Quote Originally Posted by LeVerteFae View Post
    me thinks Mabar???!!!! hints please????
    Go re-read the notice. ALL Turbine games and web sites. It's not just DDO
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Red face

opps!!! ahhh well ..... one can hope .....

Default looks like you started a little early

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    All Turbine Game servers, forums, and myaccount.turbine.com will be unavailable on Monday October 7, 2013 from 5:00AM Eastern Time (-4 GMT) until 12:00PM Eastern Time (-4 GMT) for scheduled maintenance.

Zerg of Thelanis

Nepalm - 27th life completionist ~ Mons
    ~ Pandomonium - 40th life Tripletionist™

Tyrs Paladium of Ghallanda

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    How is it possible that all this time has gone by an there are no replys to this thread???
    It's just maintenance my friend, it happens every couple of Mondays.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 10-06-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Would hope at the very least it's a defrag/maintenance cycle BEFORE they put Mabar up. That'd make sense, seeing as it cripples the servers.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchicus View Post
    Would hope at the very least it's a defrag/maintenance cycle BEFORE they put Mabar up. That'd make sense, seeing as it cripples the servers.
    Sounds like a regular maintenance.

Now to answer the above quote... it's going to depends on what the servers are running... There's officially no fragmentation on Unix systems as they don't use FAT(32)/NTFS.
    On the other hand running a fsck on them in single user mode is good. ( and no it doesn't affect server performance ).

Mabar is crippling the servers because there's a ton of people in the same instance set ( several identical instances with a ton of people in them ).
    The server needs to send what every single person from that ton of people do to all the other persons in the same instance.

You have two persons in an instance : The server needs to send the action of 1 person to the other one. If both are acting that two actions sent.
    You have 3 persons in an instance : The server needs to send the action of 1 person to two other. If they are all acting the server needs to send 9 actions.
    You have 20 person in an instance : The server needs to send the action of 1 person to 19 other. If they are all acting the server needs to send 20² actions ( or 400 actions ).

Now a Typical Maban Instance will hold 100ish people... That's 100² actions to send at the same time, multiply that by the number of Maban Instances to have nightmares about network clogging.
    The same is true for The Cove. The Risia Games are more tricky, but it probably goes down to the same problem.
    ( that's especially true if a given instance type ( say Delera's Graveyard ) is linked to a specific set of physical servers in the game cluster )

Note : I can be wrong on my guesses of the game architecture, and that would make the above points invalid.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    It's just maintenance my friend, it happens every Monday.
    all game worlds and websites go down every monday? Get off the crack dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    It's just maintenance my friend, it happens every Monday.
    No, it happens on Monday about once a month. Not EVERY Monday. That would be rather unnecessary unless Turbine servers are completely overwhelmed, which is hardly the case.

Turbine servers sure could use an upgrade though...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Sounds like a regular maintenance.

Now to answer the above quote... it's going to depends on what the servers are running... There's officially no fragmentation on Unix systems as they don't use FAT(32)/NTFS.
    On the other hand running a fsck on them in single user mode is good. ( and no it doesn't affect server performance ).

Mabar is crippling the servers because there's a ton of people in the same instance set ( several identical instances with a ton of people in them ).
    The server needs to send what every single person from that ton of people do to all the other persons in the same instance.

You have two persons in an instance : The server needs to send the action of 1 person to the other one. If both are acting that two actions sent.
    You have 3 persons in an instance : The server needs to send the action of 1 person to two other. If they are all acting the server needs to send 9 actions.
    You have 20 person in an instance : The server needs to send the action of 1 person to 19 other. If they are all acting the server needs to send 20² actions ( or 400 actions ).

Now a Typical Maban Instance will hold 100ish people... That's 100² actions to send at the same time, multiply that by the number of Maban Instances to have nightmares about network clogging.
    The same is true for The Cove. The Risia Games are more tricky, but it probably goes down to the same problem.
    ( that's especially true if a given instance type ( say Delera's Graveyard ) is linked to a specific set of physical servers in the game cluster )

Note : I can be wrong on my guesses of the game architecture, and that would make the above points invalid.
    That's quite funny if you think they disabled instance 2049 (Kundarak Crafting Hall) to be used for quests for a while because of troubles
    and now we get that instance around 29/30 times, maybe more.
    And it's still not perfect and may cause rubberbands when someone is crafting heavily

Could you also fix the exploit that some fanbois are able to take the blast charges outta undermine. One wiped our whole citw raid while buffing.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post
    Could you also fix the exploit that some fanbois are able to take the blast charges outta undermine. One wiped our whole citw raid while buffing.
    Lol :P

As for Mabar lag the fact that its level split now should help reduce some of the lag but honestly I've never had issue with lag so I won't be able to test that
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Unix systems (especially with no specific brand name given) may use any number of file system types, some of which are immune to fragmentation and some not. Note, fragmentation is not the only possible source of filesystem-related slowdowns... I have had the "pleasure" of working around one of those other kinds on an old Unix server, some years ago. (It was at root a mismatch of file system type and application architecture. No time to rewrite the application, changed file systems.)

Well, except that single user mode IS an outage already, on that specific system (hopefully just one node in a cluster).

There are file system types that can have such maintenance performed while "online" but causing a performance hit.

There are a bunch of possible points where this kind of lag can happen. Event communication queues being just one of them.

This kind of a game is, in effect, a distributed realtime application. I once worked at a company that had a product sort of like that, except with high availability and expensive outages. In THERE, using DNS for name resolution was thought of an unacceptable risk of latency, and that's not getting into the network architecture we wanted between nodes... which in that case included the "client" nodes.

This game is on the Internet, which is MUCH worse than a dedicated network. I'm quite happy to not have to fix it myself. (Well, I wouldn't actually be averse to doing that kind of work again, if I was suitably compensated...)
    Last edited by mna; 10-06-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Community Member

It could have been a Potion of Wonder, that's one of the possible effects.

Geoff.

A guildy of mine was in that raid (or a raid where exectly the same happend). He told me someone wanted to restore the SP after buffing and clicked potion of wonder instead of SP potion. Both look exactly the same on the hotbar and inventory. The blast is one of the "wonders" that are possible when you drink those.

Community Member

The Saga's are still not fixed.

Don't be dead at the moment the survivors complete the quest.

If you are the quest will not be counted by the Saga's.

How about tweak to loot tables with this maint. Pretty please.
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast