Community Member

Default So Monk....weapons or unarmed? And Dex or Str?

Hello forumites!

I come again to ask your wisdom

I've got another TR coming up soon (4th life, starting to feel strong now ), and would like to have a crack at Monk this life. Thing is, I seem to be stupid when it comes to this class, in that I can't figure out whether UA or a weapon is a better idea. Obviously I'll be centered, so I'm looking at the options which allow this.

Options appear to be:

- Unarmed - this gives me stunning fist, which I LOVE. It's a Str based DC I believe? Which would make me a Str monk.
    - Shortsword - Drow race looks nice for this, with SS enhs and monk enhs stacking (I think?) but how poor is SS DPS compared to a weapon like Daxe or Khopesh,, or Staff?
    - Exotic - Khopesh I guess, or something like...bastard sword maybe? Again, it looks like I can go Dex based with this as a slashing weapon, but is it worth the Fighter 8 investment?
    - Animal - This is a druid thing. Winter Wolf form using UA (or staff? Is that an option?) with Natural Fighting looks attractive, but a 9 splash of Druid is heavy...
    - Other...Longsword with a Cleric/Pala/FVS god-splash? Is this viable?

I've played a Monk no further than level 10, and always stayed pure. I have no experience past that. I have figured out though that ability points are kinda at a premium with this class. For that reason a Str-dump Dex-based build looks great, but I am aware that Str is much more buffable than Dex, and I am wary of ability damage which could make me uncentered.

Anything anyone can advise is most appreciated, up to and including "Dude, you're clueless, play something else"

Aes.

I dont have a particular recommendation, but check out this link, great monk info!
    https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/

Community Member

Hey thanks Schell....I dunno how I didn't find that site before.

Reading through it now

Aes.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    Hello forumites!

I come again to ask your wisdom

I've got another TR coming up soon (4th life, starting to feel strong now ), and would like to have a crack at Monk this life. Thing is, I seem to be stupid when it comes to this class, in that I can't figure out whether UA or a weapon is a better idea. Obviously I'll be centered, so I'm looking at the options which allow this.

Options appear to be:

- Unarmed - this gives me stunning fist, which I LOVE. It's a Str based DC I believe? Which would make me a Str monk.
    - Shortsword - Drow race looks nice for this, with SS enhs and monk enhs stacking (I think?) but how poor is SS DPS compared to a weapon like Daxe or Khopesh,, or Staff?
    - Exotic - Khopesh I guess, or something like...bastard sword maybe? Again, it looks like I can go Dex based with this as a slashing weapon, but is it worth the Fighter 8 investment?
    - Animal - This is a druid thing. Winter Wolf form using UA (or staff? Is that an option?) with Natural Fighting looks attractive, but a 9 splash of Druid is heavy...
    - Other...Longsword with a Cleric/Pala/FVS god-splash? Is this viable?

I've played a Monk no further than level 10, and always stayed pure. I have no experience past that. I have figured out though that ability points are kinda at a premium with this class. For that reason a Str-dump Dex-based build looks great, but I am aware that Str is much more buffable than Dex, and I am wary of ability damage which could make me uncentered.

Anything anyone can advise is most appreciated, up to and including "Dude, you're clueless, play something else"

Aes.
    Depends a lot on your play style.

First a correction, Stunning Fist is a Wisdom based DC, not strength. Stunning blow would be strength based, but stunning fist is much better fora monk.

If you are going pure monk, I strongly recommend Unarmed Wis based. Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm are extremely powerful tools for a monk and both are Wis based for DCs.

There's nothing wrong with going weapon based, but in that case, I'd recommend looking into a multi-class fighter monk since there is a lot of synergy with Kensei.

Monks...a dessert topping, a floor wax and a household appliance!

Just kidding. Like many classes, the Monk branched out a lot with Update 19.

Unarmed is the general way that Monks fight. It's faster overall than using weapons, but you can often get more damage through the simple weapons they can train in while still in balance with their Monk powers (Centered).

You can go as a Shintao Monk, a hater of all not on the material plane, with powerful self-healing, buffing and even light tanking ability. Good for new players who haven't done a Monk before.

You can take the path of the Ninja Spy. With high stealth numbers, you can infiltrate, assassinate and use invisibility at will to get to targets. When you do fight, you take your ki (the Monk's mystical energy) and weaponize it with terrible damage. Recommended for players with a little more experience with Monks since they aren't as self-healing.

Or, you can specialize in a quarterstaff with the Henshin Mystic. They use ki as if they were renewable spell points to deliver Fire and Force damage to mobs, and wield a staff with powerful damage (based on your tactical feats).

There's also more through multiclassing, but it's a very good idea to learn how the Monk works through a full life. They are best played this way until you gain experience.

Glad you find the guide. If you have any questions, let us know.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

I've done a lot of monk testing since the enhancement upgrade. If you want to play a "monk" and not some melee hybrid with monk levels, then unarmed, wis-based, light monk in earth stance is the best choice.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

I've really been enjoying my shortsword-wielding light side ninja since the enhancement pass. Ok, unarmed is technically better but still shortswords are fun & having them be vorpal at 20 is great

Regardess of your preference though, at low levels especially a good shortsword (cannith crafted keen of bleeding for example) can often be a good bet & if you have any of the old sun blades, or the new gwylans blade, they can be very effective for a while.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Wis/Dex seems to be the easiest to go with for a Monk. Since you can't wear armor, you get AC from both, and you don't have a max dex bonus to slow you down.

Drow works well for the ninja build, letting you go with short swords and shuriken and get bonus' from both race and class for it. However, unarmed with wraps tends to be pretty good as well even with other options.

Community Member

Default Thanks all

I have to say that monk site is a real boon. I spent quite a while going through it page by page, and it answered I think all (or the vast majority) of my questions.

I'm now considering a 13 Monk/6 Ranger/1 Rog (for the UMD ranks) for my next life. Unarmed of course.

Got some equipment farming to do

Thanks all for all and any advice.

Aes.