Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Should Crucible really be part of the Saga?

Okay, I wanted to get the Heroic GH saga done. However, I've never been able to successfully run the Crucible. I've tried doing the solo-have hire pull valves thing ddowiki says is possible--I get stuck. I asked my best friend on the game, he was insulted that I even asked him to run it (I even suggested casual, he declined). I asked a guy who was running GH walkups, he was okay doing it. Everyone wanted Elite (prob because of BB). As the game progressed everybody got depressed and gave up: one by one.

How is somebody actually supposed to get this done? I mean, not that people don't succeed. I'm just saying, it seems like their is a high rate of failure and depression/tension associated with the quest. It was dropped from flagging; if it usually just makes people point fingers and get angry, insulted, depressed, etc., is it really a good idea to make it mandatory for a new feature?

Just a thought.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gywiden View Post
    Okay, I wanted to get the Heroic GH saga done. However, I've never been able to successfully run the Crucible. I've tried doing the solo-have hire pull valves thing ddowiki says is possible--I get stuck. I asked my best friend on the game, he was insulted that I even asked him to run it (I even suggested casual, he declined). I asked a guy who was running GH walkups, he was okay doing it. Everyone wanted Elite (prob because of BB). As the game progressed everybody got depressed and gave up: one by one.

How is somebody actually supposed to get this done? I mean, not that people don't succeed. I'm just saying, it seems like their is a high rate of failure and depression/tension associated with the quest. It was dropped from flagging; if it usually just makes people point fingers and get angry, insulted, depressed, etc., is it really a good idea to make it mandatory for a new feature?

Just a thought.
    Well they changed it for the flagging quests, which made sense, but the saga is entirely optional so yeah it should be in there. If someone is really bothered by it you can always use AS or the VIP bonus to skip it.

You get people that know what they are doing,just like any quest.

Heck i dont know Crucible but Im going to learn it now instead of putting it off.

Yes, it should. Its part of the pack, and it being difficult for some does not make it any less so. Besides, it being a part of the saga makes it more likely to find grups for it, which i like.

Neither should completion of the saga be something autogranted.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Just a thought.
    Crucible is one the best quest in the game. Once you learn how to run it it's really easy. To learn running it you should run it solo or duo it with someone that explains you what has to be done. If you are on Cannith i can show you how to run it, i got 2 toons at lvl 14-15 (Hazrael, Kalhee): i'd need an elite completion first, but we can run it twice, 1 on Elite, 1 on normal

Considering it has already been "crucibled" from flagging, i really hope they do not "crucible" it from the saga as well...
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Quote Originally Posted by pHo3nix View Post
    Crucible is one the best quest in the game. Once you learn how to run it it's really easy. To learn running it you should run it solo or duo it with someone that explains you what has to be done. If you are on Cannith i can show you how to run it, i got 2 toons at lvl 14-15 (Hazrael, Kalhee): i'd need an elite completion first, but we can run it twice, 1 on Elite, 1 on normal

Considering it has already been "crucibled" from flagging, i really hope they do not "crucible" it from the saga as well...
    It is nice to find somebody willing. I am on Cannith, under the same name. I can open Elite, but I am terrible at the quest lol (but learned a lot tonight so will be much less terrible this time).

TBH, I don't think they should've removed it from flagging either. The only reason it was done was because "leet-kids" were soiling their pants at their inability to steamroll it on elite for BB and didn't want to settle for any other difficulties.

It is nice to find somebody willing. I am on Cannith, under the same name. I can open Elite, but I am terrible at the quest lol (but learned a lot tonight so will be much less terrible this time).
    Ok, i'll add you I'm leaving this afternoon for the week-end, but i'm going to be online in 20 min or so for an hour at least. No worries, i usually solo it on elite every life, so we should be fine
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Just a thought.
    It should never have been dropped from flagging.

Crucible has a learning curve. Some people don't like that. But a lot of us do. There are some great quests where you can learn the quest and then be able to lead it smoothly for a guaranteed completion. Crucible is a quest where everyone has a roll to play, it requires a bit of coordination with people pulling levers, and someone with good reflexes and evasion to do the swim.

Crucible is one of the quests that isn't just packs of mobs waiting around conveniently to be killed, or repetitive waves of the same mobs trying to kill you.

It's not supposed to be a cakewalk the first time you do it.

Rather than try and do it elite at level - take 17 and stick up an lfm to do it on normal, it won't break anybody's streak, if it comes to it you can short-man the quest, and you will have the luxury of time to explore the maze, maybe even map it out, and take your time to learn it.

Let's just say that I've done Crucible ... more than once ... in all my years of playing, and I still enjoy a good smooth run through it now. And if I join a pug and they appear to be a bit clueless then I can give them advice and tips and if they're completely clueless then I take over and get them through it without any difficulty, explaining what's happening as we go. It is a quest well worth learning.

As far as the saga's go - if you're only worried about the Saga completion, then just use your VIP skip option to get an Elite completion without running it. If you're not VIP then it'll cost you 5 shards. If you're not VIP and don't have 5 shards then you'll have to run it. See https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...gas-simplified for details of how to use the VIP or 5 shard skip option.

... Just a thought.
    That is actually one of the reason why the quest is removed from the flagging mechanics. I do not see much reason, why to remove it from something optional like a saga, and furthermore you can skip a quest in a saga by spending some shards or going vip afaik. Too many easybuttons already installed in my opinion.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 10-04-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    TBH, I don't think they should've removed it from flagging either. The only reason it was done was because "leet-kids" were soiling their pants at their inability to steamroll it on elite for BB and didn't want to settle for any other difficulties.
    Finally, someone who thinks that.

I'm still annoyed it was removed as flagging, all because people complained it was too hard. I enjoyed taking pugs through there, now they don't fill. (Yet I managed to fill acute delirium. I was surprised, most people avoid it like the plague.)

Just a thought.
    Yes

You don't need it to flag which is good and sagas are entirely optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    (Yet I managed to fill acute delirium. I was surprised, most people avoid it like the plague.)
    It's a deceptive. I'm guessing that most people don't even know what they're getting into with Acute

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    It's a deceptive. I'm guessing that most people don't even know what they're getting into with Acute
    Was a bunch of legend lives+first lifer last I ran it. Aside from the 28 pt, they all knew what to expect - lots of deaths. (I even advertised that in the LFM I think.)

Was actually a good run, to be honest. Few deaths to low fort+early beholders (new guy got a bit annoyed, understandably)... but.. hm. Beds were done in one go, bookshelves two attempts. (Was my fault. One shelf didn't get hasted, fell behind, got eaten by renders)

Other than that, was great fun pretending I didn't have the scepter at the end.

Yes it should be part of the saga and it should still be required to flag.

Community Member

I think the current solution is a good compromise: those who hate it aren't locked out of other content, while those who do it get a decent reward, and those who do the rest of the saga have a way to skip it. Win-win all around.

Ran Crucible last night in a pug group and went smooth as butter. A pure paladin even did the swim on elite even though there was 2 monks and me with 6 rogue levels. The paladin didn't even lose 1/4 his hp. I got over 43k xp and the last one I needed in the saga. The saga xp reward was for 64k xp. Can't believe people don't want to run the quest for xp alone at least.

BTW, the saga NPC called Crucible A Cabal for One so that needs a fix.

The swim part is the hardest, the maze is just a matter of using a map if you don't know it by heart. Those who can't swim tend to rely on finding someone who can. I did practice the quest on an over level character pre-epic GH, but honestly still don't know how I'd survive the swim at level, at least on elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Yes it should be part of the saga and it should still be required to flag.
    ^this

Speaking of soloing it...How do you pickup the crests while keeping the focus orb on the lever for the hireling? I can solo it with ddoor, just can't seem to keep the lever "in focus" to do it without.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast