Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default Half Elf - what to do?

    So, promised a buddy I'd pace him with a character. Will run probably only in a set group, no where else, at least until my buddy decides to take break. Group is a duo, arti and sorc.

    I've got this bank toon, Vet2 Half Elf who, for some reason, has chomped +2 tomes in all stats. Currently a bard, neutral, with both the free lesser and +20 lesser reincarnates available. I'm kinda rich with bards, thinking of going some other direction - but no idea what.

    Dunno. Half Elves seemed to take a hit in the enhancement pass. I kinda wish the character were either an elf or human.

    Some things I'm thinking ...
    - Ranger splashed dagger person (assassin T5) - maybe pal dillie
    - Melee divine (scimmies) - rogue dillie
    - Maybe druid?


    Having a real time figuring it out. Half-elf just doesn't seem to fit anywhere.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  2. #2
    Community Member Deathbrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94

    Smile Some Ideas

    I'm guessing it is a first life toon? My Main is on his 11th life never repeating a build, and i've done 2 lives since the enhancement pass...Helf hasn't really been nerfed at all. It is a bit annoying that you need to take human versatility boost in the core line, but the saves boost got a buff making it so you can't fail on a 1 while active if your save is high enough so i usually take that .

    As for your build ideas, ranger splash assassin tier 5 sounds good...just keep in mind that Assassinate DC is based off rogue levels not character levels. Cleric dill is always nice unless you plan on having the UMD to scroll yourself, in which case pally dill is the way to go .

    Melee divine with scimies and rogue dill...that could be interesting with the new warpriest line . Maybe splash some monk for extra feats (as divines are a bit feat starved for twf on their own) and you get evasion and stances . If you do take the monk i'd consider pally dill there too for the extra reflex save, but rog is great for the SA damage . er...just now noticed neutral. so scratch splashing monk...maybe 2 fighter splash?

    I cannot help with druid as i have not had time to try one of them yet, but I know as far as splits that will work well with helf. pure sorc with FvS dill or pally dill. any tukaw varient using fvs dill instead of reconstruct. If you have some repeaters lying around 6arti/12rogue/2 anything else does immense pure physical ranged dps. hopefully i've been of some help >.< good luck and just make sure to have fun.
    Khyber:
    Zenavathar 1rog/5monk/2pal life 12 of TBD; Zenarcanum 18 arti 2nd life; Zenmachina 7 wiz/ 1 rogue 2nd life; Zenchakra 7 monk 2nd life; Zenthinks 20 monk/6epic 2nd life.

  3. #3
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathbrings View Post
    I'm guessing it is a first life toon? My Main is on his 11th life never repeating a build, and i've done 2 lives since the enhancement pass...Helf hasn't really been nerfed at all. It is a bit annoying that you need to take human versatility boost in the core line, but the saves boost got a buff making it so you can't fail on a 1 while active if your save is high enough so i usually take that .

    As for your build ideas, ranger splash assassin tier 5 sounds good...just keep in mind that Assassinate DC is based off rogue levels not character levels. Cleric dill is always nice unless you plan on having the UMD to scroll yourself, in which case pally dill is the way to go .

    Melee divine with scimies and rogue dill...that could be interesting with the new warpriest line . Maybe splash some monk for extra feats (as divines are a bit feat starved for twf on their own) and you get evasion and stances . If you do take the monk i'd consider pally dill there too for the extra reflex save, but rog is great for the SA damage . er...just now noticed neutral. so scratch splashing monk...maybe 2 fighter splash?

    I cannot help with druid as i have not had time to try one of them yet, but I know as far as splits that will work well with helf. pure sorc with FvS dill or pally dill. any tukaw varient using fvs dill instead of reconstruct. If you have some repeaters lying around 6arti/12rogue/2 anything else does immense pure physical ranged dps. hopefully i've been of some help >.< good luck and just make sure to have fun.
    Yeah first life - this is a bank toon I'd be converting to playable state - a decided "second" in the arsenal.

    For the assassin - I wouldn't be aiming for assassinate, just the crit expansion of assassin + tempest.

    I've done a fighter 2 / FVS 18 before - they certainly work. Rogue dilettante that time too. So, maybe scrap that, I've already done it ;-)

    The current duo already has a wizard and an arti. I don't want to steal too much of the show - one is another guys 2nd string toon, and then a guy who doesn't play so much. So, no arti and no arcane I think. Maybe not even trapper skills.

    So ... cleric (w/ a melee bent) ... druid ... maybe a more core melee like a fighter or barb?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  4. #4
    Community Member Deathbrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94

    Default

    20 fighter with cleric dill for self sufficiency? and you said you've done a melee divine before...but if it was prior the enhancement update, this will give you a chance to try out the warpriest pre . so it would still be new. Um...the assassin/tempest sounds fun. My last life was a halfling 11ran/7rog/2monk. I stacked SA from halfling tree, ninja spy, assassin, deepwood, and then went up the tempest tree, dual wielding GS scimi's i've had since 1st life XD. tons of fun. tensers and umd myself, full dex based. All in all its up to you. many of the builds you've mentioned sound at least fun to try.
    Khyber:
    Zenavathar 1rog/5monk/2pal life 12 of TBD; Zenarcanum 18 arti 2nd life; Zenmachina 7 wiz/ 1 rogue 2nd life; Zenchakra 7 monk 2nd life; Zenthinks 20 monk/6epic 2nd life.

  5. #5
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathbrings View Post
    20 fighter with cleric dill for self sufficiency? and you said you've done a melee divine before...but if it was prior the enhancement update, this will give you a chance to try out the warpriest pre .
    if only it worked that way.

  6. #6
    Community Member Deathbrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    if only it worked that way.
    If only what worked "that way"? :S
    Khyber:
    Zenavathar 1rog/5monk/2pal life 12 of TBD; Zenarcanum 18 arti 2nd life; Zenmachina 7 wiz/ 1 rogue 2nd life; Zenchakra 7 monk 2nd life; Zenthinks 20 monk/6epic 2nd life.

  7. #7
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    fvs warpriest twf with scimis. Take the rogue dil since you're stuck in helf and don't stick another point into the helf tree. Helf got nerfed bad with a crazy increase in the point cost for the dillies. Spending to upgrade them will hurt you badly in the long run. So no matter what you do make sure the dilly gets you something that you'd find useful with no upgrades.

  8. #8
    Community Member Deathbrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94

    Post Nerf?

    pre update 1ap for tier one, 2 for tier two, 3 for tier three. post update 2, 2, 2 with a stat tossed in the middle. Almost exactly same cost, exact same cost if you grabbed the stat pre update too. As for points spent in tree as prereq stats in the core are nice, as well as the no fail on 1 for saves boost. Also heal amp. The AP spent on the tree is almost exactly the same if you enjoy heal amp too... *shrug*. If you dislike heal amp (Um...not really sure why you would), then yes it is a nerf.
    Khyber:
    Zenavathar 1rog/5monk/2pal life 12 of TBD; Zenarcanum 18 arti 2nd life; Zenmachina 7 wiz/ 1 rogue 2nd life; Zenchakra 7 monk 2nd life; Zenthinks 20 monk/6epic 2nd life.

  9. #9
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    fvs warpriest twf with scimis. Take the rogue dil since you're stuck in helf and don't stick another point into the helf tree. Helf got nerfed bad with a crazy increase in the point cost for the dillies. Spending to upgrade them will hurt you badly in the long run. So no matter what you do make sure the dilly gets you something that you'd find useful with no upgrades.
    FVS or cleric?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  10. #10
    Community Member Deathbrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Personally i'd go FvS for warpriest. They get passive feats that will help, and more sp. If you are investing heavily into warpriest you won't have the points for aura if you go cleric, so the extra sp helps.
    Khyber:
    Zenavathar 1rog/5monk/2pal life 12 of TBD; Zenarcanum 18 arti 2nd life; Zenmachina 7 wiz/ 1 rogue 2nd life; Zenchakra 7 monk 2nd life; Zenthinks 20 monk/6epic 2nd life.

  11. #11
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    It's really the question about secondary trees - Radiant Servant or AoV.

    EDIT: You replied fast ;-)

    Radiant Aura appears to be a T5, so if I go that route I only get one or the other - while the archon is a core - I can avoid the T5 AoV abilities easier than Radiant.

    (cleric I'd probably end up Radiant T5, with a minor in warpriest - FVS will be FVS prime, secondary in AoV)

    Seriously considering a Bard 1 / Fighter 1 / FVS 18 split instead of Fighter 2.

    I don't want to spend TP on it, else I'd go Pal 2.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  12. #12
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    6,698

    Default

    Half elves should be glad they're allowed to work as mules instead of beign shot on sight

  13. #13
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathbrings View Post
    pre update 1ap for tier one, 2 for tier two, 3 for tier three. post update 2, 2, 2 with a stat tossed in the middle. Almost exactly same cost, exact same cost if you grabbed the stat pre update too. As for points spent in tree as prereq stats in the core are nice, as well as the no fail on 1 for saves boost. Also heal amp. The AP spent on the tree is almost exactly the same if you enjoy heal amp too... *shrug*. If you dislike heal amp (Um...not really sure why you would), then yes it is a nerf.
    Pre update it was 6ap total to unlock both of the sneak attack dice. 2 for tier 1, 4 for tier 2. It was based on points spent overall, not within a tree, meaning I could use sneak dice to push myself towards the AP goal for my actual class / prestige enhancements.

    Now it's 7ap spent for both sneak attack dice:
    1ap for a core, & 2ap for the first sneak attack dice, meaning I'm already 1ap worse off than before just getting my first sneak attack dice upgrade.
    for the second sneak attack dice,, you need to have unlocked tier 2, which is 5ap spent, then you can spend your 2ap on the second sneak attack dice. 7ap spent total for 2 sneak dice.

    It's not just that it's 1ap more expensive than before the enhancement pass. Worse, it no longer helps you qualify for class / prestige enhancements, Racial trees prevent you spending points in the often more useful class trees.

    This is why half elves have been nerfed, quite drastically.

  14. #14
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathbrings View Post
    If only what worked "that way"? :S
    I miss read your post, but it was making me think how cool it would be if a cleric dil opened up access to the cleric trees, or a wizard dil opened up access to the wizard trees etc.

  15. #15
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    FVS or cleric?
    I like fvs better for it. For one as a cleric you'll be going mainly into rs with some in wp, fvs you can go mainly into wp. FVS also has better saves, more sp, sp stat is cha so you can get more cha for divine might with less sacrafice, feats for more energy resistance (not the biggest help but...), you get the idea.

  16. #16
    Community Member Deathbrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94

    Smile O.o

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    I miss read your post, but it was making me think how cool it would be if a cleric dil opened up access to the cleric trees, or a wizard dil opened up access to the wizard trees etc.
    that'd be awesome! and so very OP. but fun to toy with none-the less.
    Khyber:
    Zenavathar 1rog/5monk/2pal life 12 of TBD; Zenarcanum 18 arti 2nd life; Zenmachina 7 wiz/ 1 rogue 2nd life; Zenchakra 7 monk 2nd life; Zenthinks 20 monk/6epic 2nd life.

  17. #17
    Community Member Deathbrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94

    Smile some simple math using old and new char gens.

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Pre update it was 6ap total to unlock both of the sneak attack dice. 2 for tier 1, 4 for tier 2. It was based on points spent overall, not within a tree, meaning I could use sneak dice to push myself towards the AP goal for my actual class / prestige enhancements.

    Now it's 7ap spent for both sneak attack dice:
    1ap for a core, & 2ap for the first sneak attack dice, meaning I'm already 1ap worse off than before just getting my first sneak attack dice upgrade.
    for the second sneak attack dice,, you need to have unlocked tier 2, which is 5ap spent, then you can spend your 2ap on the second sneak attack dice. 7ap spent total for 2 sneak dice.

    It's not just that it's 1ap more expensive than before the enhancement pass. Worse, it no longer helps you qualify for class / prestige enhancements, Racial trees prevent you spending points in the often more useful class trees.

    This is why half elves have been nerfed, quite drastically.
    Okay let's go through this again. 1ap for the core. 2ap for the first rog dill. + a stat in the core 2ap. Many take those, its a cheap +1 to a stat. Human versatility 1ap. Meh. Its a saves boost...or skill boost. why not. adaptability 2 another boost in a stat. 2ap. adaptability 2 used to be 4 ap. so its like you get core 1 and 3 for free compared to the old system. take rog dill 2 and the stat that is another 4 ap. heal amp. that is 2ap. you will need to spend 1 extra ap somewhere for access to t3 rog dill. skill focus or versatility 2 since it is 1 ap let's say, just for even numbers. then heal amp t2 for 2ap, and rog dill t3 for 2 ap. all together that is 19ap spent on helf stuff alone.

    pre update!

    I'll just highlight the big ones. Adaptability I and II. 6ap. Rog dill I and II 6ap. heal amp I and II 6ap...oh ****...we are already 1ap short of what is live and we are still missing versatility I and II (3ap in old system), and a stat boost from dill (2ap). 23 ap total. So yes, you come out 1 ap less on JUST the big ones in the old system, but for 1 ap more in the new system you get a bunch of other bonuses. how is that a nerf? that is a buff. Unless of course you skip out on heal amp...and stat boosts...and then I wonder why you chose helf instead of halfling when talking rog dill.

    Just because it looks different now, does not mean it is a nerf.
    Khyber:
    Zenavathar 1rog/5monk/2pal life 12 of TBD; Zenarcanum 18 arti 2nd life; Zenmachina 7 wiz/ 1 rogue 2nd life; Zenchakra 7 monk 2nd life; Zenthinks 20 monk/6epic 2nd life.

  18. #18
    Community Member Deathbrings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    94

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    It's really the question about secondary trees - Radiant Servant or AoV.

    EDIT: You replied fast ;-)

    Radiant Aura appears to be a T5, so if I go that route I only get one or the other - while the archon is a core - I can avoid the T5 AoV abilities easier than Radiant.

    (cleric I'd probably end up Radiant T5, with a minor in warpriest - FVS will be FVS prime, secondary in AoV)

    Seriously considering a Bard 1 / Fighter 1 / FVS 18 split instead of Fighter 2.

    I don't want to spend TP on it, else I'd go Pal 2.

    back on topic, yeah, i wouldn't spend tp on him if he is 1st life. . bd1/fight1/FvS18 sounds rather fun actually .
    Khyber:
    Zenavathar 1rog/5monk/2pal life 12 of TBD; Zenarcanum 18 arti 2nd life; Zenmachina 7 wiz/ 1 rogue 2nd life; Zenchakra 7 monk 2nd life; Zenthinks 20 monk/6epic 2nd life.

  19. #19
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Either way I get to dump a bunch of **** I'm banking on to the toon - scimmies or daggers.

    I think I'm going the scimmie route because, frankly, the dagger route would work better with just about any other freaking race.

    Looks like Warpriest, unless I somehow talk myself into Druid.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  20. #20
    Founder
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,130

    Default

    If I had to play a half elf after the enhancement pass I agree with playing a scimitar using warpriest twf FVS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload