Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member BinyaminTsadik's Avatar

Default What Turbine needs to do in order to save DDO from ruin

It occurred to me that the old EPIC content is almost useless. With VoN 3 as an exception, the XP is horrible, the items are mediocre and relatively painstaking to farm and fill your ingredients bags.

It occurred to me that level 30 is planned on being the new level cap which means that the old epic system will be reborn for level 30 quests.

Heroic is lvl 1-20
    Epic is lvl 20-30
    and lvl 30 now has the opportunity to enter a new category.
    It doesn't matter if you call it Godly, Deistic, or Legendary, lvl 30+ will be the new endgame.

Endgame is a place where XP is no longer the focus of your questing, but Items and gear are.
    This means that ALL of the old quests that have an epic mode will be able to have a Legendary mode.
    This also means that all of those old epic items could return to service and be upgradeable to ML 30 through some type of mechanic. This will save DDO in an instant and return the value for farming epic items and keeping their ingredients in your bags.

The mechanic could be like the current Token/Commendation system, where legendary quests give you a stackable item to use for upgrading epic gear, OR
    the mechanic could include some type of epic mechanic where you need shards/seals/scrolls to upgrade the items OR
    you could have a combination of the two OR
    something completely different.

I would lean more towards the epic mechanic because it would force you to farm the actual content required to upgrade the items.
    I loved the epic mechanic so much when 20 was the cap, and this mechanic was ruined.

Whenever my friends get upset (in game) and begin to think about destroying their old epic gear I always tell them to wait. Turbine may do the right thing eventually and make them upgradeable.
    Instead of complaining that there are no healers, go roll one...

The old epics are useless only to the endgamers, since people doing TRs have to get the tokens from somewhere.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BinyaminTsadik View Post
    It occurred to me that the old EPIC content is almost useless. With VoN 3 as an exception, the XP is horrible,
    I stopped reading right here.

Endgame is a place where XP is no longer the focus of your questing, but Items and gear are.
    No, endgame is not where the focus of grinding gear is. Grinding XP and gear is what you do to power up for actual endgame.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    I stopped reading right here.
    Apparently not since you quoted text from further into the OP's post.

What Turbine needs to do to save DDO is to get rid of the forums & dooooooooommmmmm posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaimberland View Post
    What Turbine needs to do to save DDO is to get rid of the forums & dooooooooommmmmm posts.
    You'll have to pry my d0000000mmmm from my cold, dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    lmao

I cant wait til they split legendary into LN, LH and LE

Default BOOM! Nice one :)

I stopped reading right here
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    Touche sir. lmao
    Last edited by haulindonkey; 10-03-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: FTFY (myself)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    Actually the second post came from an edit

So they just have to wait till you roll up a palemaster?
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    So they just have to wait till you roll up a palemaster?
    I have a pale master, but she's fire-specced draconic.

It occurred to me that the old EPIC content is almost useless. With VoN 3 as an exception, the XP is horrible, the items are mediocre and relatively painstaking to farm and fill your ingredients bags.
    Epic wiz king is nice xp too.

I have a pale master, but she's fire-specced draconic.
    Ah okay, so they need to nerf fire and boost cold then. Got it. (Unless you stubbornly hold on to your fire-spec, then they will just be foiled)
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Slightly more on topic, the old epics are not set in the forgotten realms. That by itself makes them leaps and bounds above most of the new epics, regardless of the state of loot.
    Matt Walsh:

The op has a point, old epic loot (the majority of it) needs a buff, and we need to kill btcoe with fire and acid like the troll it is and go back to a btc / bta on aquire loot system so that it becomes a time sink again. Btcoe is part of why new content only draws players back in for a week or two.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    The op has a point, old epic loot (the majority of it) needs a buff, and we need to kill btcoe with fire and acid like the troll it is and go back to a btc / bta on aquire loot system so that it becomes a time sink again. Btcoe is part of why new content only draws players back in for a week or two.
    So your suggestion to solve the problem of getting people to buy into a system of "farming for useless loot is fun" is to take away the only incentive to do it? To be able to sell it and turn it into something useful?

So your suggestion to solve the problem of getting people to buy into a system of "farming for useless loot is fun" is to take away the only incentive to do it? To be able to sell it and turn it into something useful?
    My suggestion is to go back to what worked well for so long. I know you hate loot, pve based mmo's are never going to be your thing, you don't get them, and they probably aren't the game for you.

The matter of what Turbine could improve upon will vary from person to person. Myself, I only give half a thimble-full of a damn about Epic. My concerns are elsewhere. However, I also know that Turbine will not change the game to suit me and my preferences. Nor any other player's. They do as they feel is best, and none of us armchair Devs will sway that. The day that I feel that DDO has become to far out of alignment with what I want to play - I'll stop playing. To talk in absolutes about what will "save" the game is silly. What saves it for one person is just giving another reasons not to play. So, the Devs shoot for mass appeal... and I think their track record there isn't too bad. The game is still running, I still run into new players all the time, and the most vigorous complainers never seem to leave (myself among them).

If DDO becomes irredeemable for you, don't sit around waiting for it to get better. Complaining on the forums is a useless, impotent gesture 99% of the time. Just find another, better suited, game to play and have fun. No point in being miserable waiting for change that will in all likelihood never happen. Games are meant to be fun. If you've stopped having fun with a game, for whatever reason, then it's best to put it behind you. The grass may not be greener... but at least it'll be a different yard with new stuff to look at.

It occurred to me that level 30 is planned on being the new level cap which means that the old epic system will be reborn for level 30 quests.

Heroic is lvl 1-20
    Epic is lvl 20-30
    and lvl 30 now has the opportunity to enter a new category.
    It doesn't matter if you call it Godly, Deistic, or Legendary, lvl 30+ will be the new endgame.

This means that ALL of the old quests that have an epic mode will be able to have a Legendary mode.
    This also means that all of those old epic items could return to service and be upgradeable to ML 30 through some type of mechanic. This will save DDO in an instant and return the value for farming epic items and keeping their ingredients in your bags.

The mechanic could be like the current Token/Commendation system, where legendary quests give you a stackable item to use for upgrading epic gear, OR
    the mechanic could include some type of epic mechanic where you need shards/seals/scrolls to upgrade the items OR
    you could have a combination of the two OR
    something completely different.

I would lean more towards the epic mechanic because it would force you to farm the actual content required to upgrade the items.
    I loved the epic mechanic so much when 20 was the cap, and this mechanic was ruined.

Whenever my friends get upset (in game) and begin to think about destroying their old epic gear I always tell them to wait. Turbine may do the right thing eventually and make them upgradeable.
    2 things:

- old epics never worked, s/s/s method su.cks, if having a low chance to get what u want isn't cool, fyi when you need 3 parts

- old epic items need a retroactive buff and the removal of s/s/s method, call it "epic bag of XXXX" (quest pack) where u get points/tokens/coins only used for that quest and those items, is ok forcing you to run 20 times a quest in elite, or 30 in hard if u prefer less diff, or 50 norm if u're a casual player

what is not ok is forcing you to run 234923674238462374 times each quest, when the ransack mechanic strikes so hard, for cr.appy item, because they are, the trouble is the items they're releasing don't have that bonus (like +2 dc from EMG) or ar better situational than SoS so you keep swapping weapons

and if the lvl limit is 30, there's no need of a new diff, the fact is that being lvl 28: playing lvl 22 quests means no penalty, lvl 21 quest means 75% penalty and lvl 20 quest means 0 xp`

so u would have lots of quests to run w/o ruining xp, the trouble is for ppl that doesn't wanna tr and get tokens of the twelve, or ppl who tr that geat seals/shards/scrolls, like i see the thing there would be 2 epic currency: token of twelve and "token for the bag of XXX pack" (yes, u guessed, lots of bags, turbine loves it and u know it, they could even sell the only bag that allows u to put all the coins of the XXX pack from different packs in the store) and 1 exchange from pack to pack, token of the twelve to pack, pack to token of the twelve

this way you could get what you want in a reasonable time, that's what makes players stay, getting something in an affordable way, because if it will get screwed with next update/expansion, but at least u didn't lose 2 months of ur life for 1 item
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast