Community Member

Default I have drow and monk unlocked from years and years ago, and don't remember much

I have no clue why these are unlocked but I know drow allow me to have an easy starting 32 point build, so thats what i'm thinking!

I want a very middle of the road character, maybe a bit of melee and a bit of magic, fits drow build well and can help me journey on to the future to unlock 32 points or do true reincarnation

What's a good starting class do you think that allows for a balance and middle of the road gameplay?

I tried ranger a bit to level 3, I was considering trying bard. Does any class use a single one hander? I'm not too crazy about dual wielding but ill do it if need be. I like a mix of magic and spell. Bards in the past have been pretty fun like in EQ for example, but are the casters sorc and wiz really that difficult for new players to solo or level up with to 20?

thanks for any helps! ill check back tomorrow

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lyomic View Post
    I want a very middle of the road character, maybe a bit of melee and a bit of magic, fits drow build well and can help me journey on to the future to unlock 32 points or do true reincarnation

What's a good starting class do you think that allows for a balance and middle of the road gameplay?
    Bard. I'd say Artificer or Druid as well, but you won't have those.

I tried ranger a bit to level 3, I was considering trying bard. Does any class use a single one hander? I'm not too crazy about dual wielding but ill do it if need be.
    The only fighting types that use a single weapon are either with a shield or with a rune-arm (Artificer). A one-handed weapon with an empty off-hand just doesn't have anything for it.

I like a mix of magic and spell. Bards in the past have been pretty fun like in EQ for example, but are the casters sorc and wiz really that difficult for new players to solo or level up with to 20?
    Wizard, no. Pale Master gives Wizards efficient SP-based self-healing from level 3, plus a whole bunch of immunities and whatnot. They also get a pretty decent pet now. The first couple levels can be rough, until level 5/7 when you start getting good AoE spells, but once you're there it gets pretty easy for the most part, provided you know/can figure out what you're doing.

Sorcerers are a bit harder to solo for a new player. They don't have any cheap, efficient self-healing options like Wizards do. You can take 3 Wizard levels to access the first Pale Master form, but that puts you 4 levels (3 Wizard + Sorcs naturally progress 1 level slower in spells) behind in learning new spells; you won't get level 4 spells until level 11, and you have to live with the weak healing of Lesser Death Aura until then.

If your not VIP you would have had to buy monk there is no unlock for that class, that said its one of the more powerful classes but can be tricky to play. I wouldnt play a bard unless you have a bit experience or a group to run with it can have a steep learning curve.

If you dont fight sword and board then you want to go dual wielding or two handed weapon. There is no point or advantage to fighting one handed without a shield. A good class for melee and a bit of magic is Cleric or favored soul(need to unlock or buy)

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
    Sorcerers are a bit harder to solo for a new player. They don't have any cheap, efficient self-healing options like Wizards do. You can take 3 Wizard levels to access the first Pale Master form, but that puts you 4 levels (3 Wizard + Sorcs naturally progress 1 level slower in spells) behind in learning new spells; you won't get level 4 spells until level 11, and you have to live with the weak healing of Lesser Death Aura until then.
    The suggestion to multiclass wizard in sorc is absolutely terrible.
    Not only does it give an awful self healing (drinking cheap cure potions would be better), but it makes you look bad to other players. As a new player trying to (re)learn the game, you don't want to get excluded from parties just because of your class split.

I think a cleric focused on spells with some melee abilities would fit what you want. Don't stop on bad players who'll try to make you a healbot or responsible for everything bad that can happen in a quest.

Just because you have drow doesn't mean you should play it. Drow have bonus points in abilities that don't have great synergy with each other. And have that -2 CON that hurts every single build.
    I'd probably play a 28 pt human over a drow myself.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Of if you have warforged wizards and sorcerers can be one of the easiest characters to solo or group with .

2nd recommendation for cleric. Solid melee abilities, powerful spells, high survivabilty, and very much in line with your middle of the road play style. Confident with the quest? Grab a solid weapon, buff up and goto town. Got some SP to burn? Blade barrier, cometfall, slay living/destruction. In over your head? Hang back and heal the other party members. Clerics are always welcome in groups but with some game knowledge can easily go it alone.

Also agree to skip drow. Their bonus stats are all over the place, and 28vs32 point has never been a large difference and even doubly so with loot and enhancement pass. Human is a solid race for practically anything, and while other races may get marginal benefits to excel in certain areas, humans are rarely far behind and more than make up for their lack of specialization with their versatility.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Quote Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
    Bard. I'd say Artificer or Druid as well, but you won't have those.

The only fighting types that use a single weapon are either with a shield or with a rune-arm (Artificer). A one-handed weapon with an empty off-hand just doesn't have anything for it.

Wizard, no. Pale Master gives Wizards efficient SP-based self-healing from level 3, plus a whole bunch of immunities and whatnot. They also get a pretty decent pet now. The first couple levels can be rough, until level 5/7 when you start getting good AoE spells, but once you're there it gets pretty easy for the most part, provided you know/can figure out what you're doing.

You shouldnt ever ever ever ever ever and I mean EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! multiclass sorcerer and wizard with each other NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    The suggestion to multiclass wizard in sorc is absolutely terrible.
    Not only does it give an awful self healing (drinking cheap cure potions would be better), but it makes you look bad to other players. As a new player trying to (re)learn the game, you don't want to get excluded from parties just because of your class split.
    You must know everything there is to know, given how confident you are that multiclassing caster with caster is always a terrible idea.

For one, a 17 Sorc/3 Wizard Zombie does not have awful self-healing, and is certainly far better than cure poitions; in fact, it's almost exactly the same as a 20 Wizard Pale Master's healing. You wouldn't be using your Wizard levels for healing, but your Sorcerer levels. Negative Energy Burst has a low caster level cap, and Death Aura scales slowly meaning you only miss out on a little bit of base value. Those 3 caster levels lost are pretty negligible in this regard.

Furthermore, you can actually get more Spell Power in multiple types as a Sorcerer/Wizard build than a pure Sorcerer. The Savant trees give 0.75 universal spell power per point spent. Wizard's Archmage gives 1 USP and 2 spell points per point, and Pale Master gives 0.75 USP and an additional 0.75 negative power (for 1.5 total) per point spent. If you want pure Spell Power across the board on a Sorcerer, pure Sorcerer is actually inefficient outside of one or two elements (with penalties to one or two others, of course). Of course, most Sorcerers don't care about Negative spell power, or for the one/two elements their Savant tree(s) oppose, but this is still an advantage in versatility for a Sorc/Wiz (or Sorc/FvS, and probably others).

17 Sorc/3 Wizard is certainly a more survivable (which is one of the most important parts of soloing) build and more soloable build for new players than pure Sorcerer. My point was only about soloing, as I mistakenly glazed over the "or level up with" part of the OP's post. But I'm not wrong. If people want to think that caster/caster builds can't be good now, that's their own fault for assuming that just because they were bad before that they're still bad now. I'm not saying it's absolutely amazing and everybody needs to play it, and there are some very obvious and severe disadvantages, but it's not "absolutely terrible".

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    You shouldnt ever ever ever ever ever and I mean EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! multiclass sorcerer and wizard with each other NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Shiradi disagree with you.
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

Quote Originally Posted by darthhento View Post
    The Shiradi disagree with you.
    yah and its epic only or will be when they fix that cheese that is going around.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Monk and drow, eh?

Dwarf Clonk(cleric/monk). Make it be 2 levels of monk, and the rest is cleric. Only wear pajamas(robes/outfits) 1st level monk, 2nd level monk, the rest all cleric. You are an evasion cleric when wearing pajamas.

Self healing sorceror? Drow Sorceror/Paladin. 1st level paladin/2nd level paladin/ the rest all sorceror. You heal yourself with WANDS and potions. You will have great saves. I prefer my WF for this, but if you don't own warforged, try a drow at it.

Do i like these characters? Nice change of pace but I am not enamored of my clonks, but I do enjoy the WF Sorceror/paladins.

most of my drow are pure haggle Bards or Bard/rogues.

A bard/rogue is a great addition to a party because you fill the bill on doing traps, you can heal, and you have bard songs. Always take haste and dimension door and all parties will love you.

I lack all twitch skills to play a pure monk, but if you twitch well, a well played monk is an amazing thing to watch. Since I stink at twitch, I get to splash monk.

Another character I enjoy Ranger/Rogue/Monk. 1st rogue/2nd rogue/3rd monk/4th ranger/5th ranger/6th ranger/7th rogue/8th rogue/9th ranger/10th ranger/11th rogue/12th ranger/rest rogue or you can splash another level of monk. I like 6 levels of ranger so I can use multi shot. Strictly DUAL wielding.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt