Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navigation

Community Member

Default Navigation

I really enjoy playing DDo, but I have quit playing several times now because I every time I join a team I can't find where the missions are. I spend all my time trying to find out where to go, by the time I get there the missions practically done; I get frustrated and stop playing. 2-3 years later I try playing again and remember why I quit previously and repeat. Is there someway of knowing were missions are that I don't know about or is this just a huge barrier of entry for new players into this game?

Hello,

There are two ways you can do that. The first one, once you join the team, just ask where is the quest and how to get there and mention you are new.
    That right there will get everyone to at least understand you are new and not just slacking behind (like some do) and would wait for you.

The second option, you can hit "P" on your keyboard and search for the quest in the "Adventure" tab by its name. Usually when you mouth over it, it tells you which house it is in (if I recall correctly, haven't used that in a while and can't access the game now). Maybe even search over the internet by the name of the quest for example:

Tear of Dahkan DDO and that will give you the wiki link.

Finally, ask from the person to share the quest since you are new, when he does, accept the share and it will create an entry in your Quest Journal (accessed by pressing "L") when you select the quest, a yellow arrow is displayed on the mini map will guide you to where it is.

Hope that helps in any way.
    I am the architect of my own destruction...

How to Group With Clerics

Community Member

Tear of Dhakaan, ironically, is a House Kundarak quest, though its actually given in House Phiarlan

But yeah, DDO Wiki is the answer to the OP's question. All the information that should probably be incorporated in-game is available there. I never run a new quest without reading through on the Wiki first, do your homework.

If you're running quest X but not sure where to go, search up "X ddo wiki" (eg. Offering of Blood ddo wiki) on google, you'll be given a page like this, which tells you what area the quest is, what area the quest giver is, any traps (on a map), xp, tips, etc etc.

However, this is in the sands - quite a PITA to learn. Every Chains of Flame (and sometimes Offering of Blood) run I lead requires me to taxi at least once. So, then search "Sands ddo wiki", this will be at the top. Scroll down, looking at the side, you'll find this. Then just follow the path to OOB.

You can do that for 99% of quests. A few are slightly more annoying - VON III caused me a bit of difficulty the first time, I didn't get that the quest giver also started the quest. In that instance (where wiki isn't that useful, aside from the obvious traps), pressing "m" (default key) to bring up your map, then looking for the quest giver. If that fails (as it did for me), asking "Where's VON III in house K?" should get most people giving an answer. (The addition of the specific house shows you're at least trying, which makes even jerks like me more inclined to help.)

Hope this helps!

(I personally used this strategy to learn, I worked out people don't like "where's the quest?" (hence I avoided it as much as possible), or "share plz". Bringing up DDO wiki made me look a bit less new, though I'm still a noob ^^)

Quote Originally Posted by bverji View Post
    I really enjoy playing DDo, but I have quit playing several times now because I every time I join a team I can't find where the missions are. I spend all my time trying to find out where to go, by the time I get there the missions practically done; I get frustrated and stop playing. 2-3 years later I try playing again and remember why I quit previously and repeat. Is there someway of knowing were missions are that I don't know about or is this just a huge barrier of entry for new players into this game?
    y, willing to learn, that means putting some effort to figure where the quest is, and u're right, this is a barier for lazy players, don't worry about that, every mmorpg has that
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member

Not knowing how to get into a quest is rarely a problem. Not knowing how to get into a quest after hitting a full BB LFM is almost always a problem, as has happened to us in our last TRs with some puggers.

Issue is Turbine has turned DDO into a rather new-player-unfriendly experience. They have thrown together many features that might have sounded nice in isolation, but when put into the system the result was nothing short of a Frankenstein monster with a penchant for smashing new players. TR'ing and past lives -players no longer playing quests for loot or fun-, xp boni that ultimately turn into xp penalties if someone isn't up to the task at hand (flawless victory), bravery bonus that makes non-elite LFMs a mirage (other than farm x on hard LFMs, another xp per minute race), the list goes on.

I can't help but wonder if these hardships for new players are partly responsible for Turbine's expansion policy - AKA charging VIPs for quests (if you put Wheloon side to side with Eveningstar it's hard to call it an expansion -not saying it didn't take a lot work to make, it just doesn't look like it). It feels like DDO is now a private club for veterans only - and members have to pay the piper.

Community Member

Thanks everyone I will try your advice. I have tried the wiki and while it may be great if you are already familiar with the areas as a returning player with very little recollection I didn't find it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fredericko View Post

Issue is Turbine has turned DDO into a rather new-player-unfriendly experience. They have thrown together many features that might have sounded nice in isolation, but when put into the system the result was nothing short of a Frankenstein monster with a penchant for smashing new players. .
    This is how I feel and I am pretty certain that this has to be why DDo isn't more successful then it is.. The game play is great, but it is a frustrating game to learn.. I have played Many MMOs over the last20 years and it is by far the hardest game I have experienced to assimilate into.

Thanks everyone I will try your advice. I have tried the wiki and while it may be great if you are already familiar with the areas as a returning player with very little recollection I didn't find it helpful.
    Then use both the map and wiki. Spend an hour learning the areas. It's not easy, but.. well.
    I have nigh-on every quest location, giver (etc) down to memory by now.

Well...

Like any new game.... explore ..... This is a learning game, not a game of lemmings.

Talk to every NPC, pickup every quest from every quest giver you come by. they all have a story to tell, read them... at least the first time..

Let people know you are new and dont know where anything is, most will lend a helping hand and give you a guided tour... dont wait..remaining silent is not a good thing.
    I still see too many people joining groups and still be be MIA for 10 minutes while the group is waiting or started the quest...and eventually see ....how do I get there?...

There are resources of information.. "www.DDOWIKI.com" in my opinion is the best one out there.. read it, use it, love it,....
    Last edited by JOTMON; 10-03-2013 at 08:13 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Community Member

Yes its just not worth it to me. I don't feel comfortable with every time I want to do a mission asking for special attention to be directed to the mission. Without a frame of reference exploring doesn't do me much good, nor do I want to spend hours exploring the rather bland city environment just so I can experience what the game fundamentally is suppose to provide. For me a game that can't provide a clear access to actually playing the content fails at the most basic level. Thanks for your responses and I wish you all well, Hope to see you in the future in a game that actually wants new players to play.

Community Member

Yes its just not worth it to me. I don't feel comfortable with every time I want to do a mission asking for special attention to be directed to the mission. Without a frame of reference exploring doesn't do me much good, nor do I want to spend hours exploring the rather bland city environment just so I can experience what the game fundamentally is suppose to provide. For me a game that can't provide a clear access to actually playing the content fails at the most basic level. Thanks for your responses and I wish you all well, Hope to see you in the future in a game that actually wants new players to play.

http://ddo.motd.ru/

I'd say just get used to the harbor and marketplace first. They are the hubs for everything when you're a new player. It doesn't take hours and hours to get familiar with the marketplace. As you get into different level ranges, try to get used to another new area. Eventually you will know them all.

Utilize your map ('m' in game) and hover over icons to help you find places. If you keep quitting, you won't retain where anything is. That's no different in any game out there. And if you take years off, well, Turbine just changed the Harbor map, so no one knew where anything was for a little while.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Then use both the map and wiki. Spend an hour learning the areas. It's not easy, but.. well.
    I have nigh-on every quest location, giver (etc) down to memory by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post

There are resources of information.. "www.DDOWIKI.com" in my opinion is the best one out there.. read it, use it, love it,....
    You could really see this coming:

Yes its just not worth it to me.
    It's not like people fire up a game client to read a wiki. Problem with spending "an hour learning the areas" is not a matter of being easy or not. It's a matter of being a chore. New players shouldn't be expected to do research just to step into a quest. That's called bad design - be it game design, UI design, or whatever.

Community Member

You could really see this coming:

It's not like people fire up a game client to read a wiki. Problem with spending "an hour learning the areas" is not a matter of being easy or not. It's a matter of being a chore. New players shouldn't be expected to do research just to step into a quest. That's called bad design - be it game design, UI design, or whatever.
    Then DDO is not for them. Part of the joy of DDO is exploration. No one needs to read a wiki, they simply need to explore. If this isn't there thing, I'm sure there's other games out there, though I can't really think of many where you just wish yourself to a quest.

I didn't have much trouble learning where quests were. I entered some late, but on the whole I worked it out fine. Mainly by exploring when I wasn't in a group, grabbing quests, seeing what was what.

I guess exploring an area out of curiosity isn't everyones thing to do.

You might want to play with better people. Why do you suppose you're being left behind while on your way to the dungeon?

Default People and the Map

First, ask for help. Say you are a new player and don't know where the quest is. If you are in a group that won't help you, get out of the group. Wrong people to play with anyway.

Second: Become friends with your map. Hitting the P key will bring up an adventure compendium. Search for the name of the quest, this will then tell you what general map location the quest is in and who gives the quest, IE Giant Hold, House Kundark, etc. Once you get to the general map area, (like House K) open up your map and look either for the door to the quest or the quest giver.

Sub to this point: If you have the people share the quest, once you use the above and get to the general map area the door to the quest will be blinking yellow.

Third: The two above are most important, and additional option is to find a guild that is friendly to new players. They should be able to easily help you with the first and second points.

While the DDO Wiki is nice and I use it all the time, expecting new players to run the game by looking through this is unrealistic.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

DDO is a nitch game for people who want to get as close as possible to the pencil & paper game. They like story lines and exploring. If these things aren't for you then quite frankly, neither is this game. You asked a question and by reading the replies, you've been given a lot of good advice and help. The fact that you aren't willing to follow through on your own highly suggests to me that this game is not for you.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I was a new player, and played just with my husband (we started on the same day, neither of us knew anything). We explored. By the end of the first hour we knew where everything was on Korthos. By the end of the first day we'd discovered most of the harbor, and the marketplace. We didn't know the wiki existed, and would not learn about it until we'd been playing for four months. And by that time, we'd found ALL the quests, figured out flagging by reading what the game told us when we couldn't get into something, and gotten all the way to 20 without the benefit of hand holders or wikis just by poking around.

So basically the original poster has not: explored the areas to learn where things are, talked to npcs to pick up quests and find out where to get them (several of them tell you in the text), learned to use his map that blinks the quest entrance for you to help you find it, can't manage to use the wiki, and will not ask other players for some help. But says it's Turbine's fault that the game is new player unfriendly.

Well, Coddex and I are proof it's really not. We even did the quests by entering them and trying them out, figuring out how to do them because the game TELLS you what needs to be done in the quest in the little window. No wiki or vet players needed. And that was most of the fun of being a new player in this game. The discovery and triumph of our brain over matter. Sometimes we joined pugs and had to ask a question or two. Relic of a distant pass really threw us, and we had to ask a stranger a question, he answered, we got to the quest giver and to the quest. But eventually we would have figured that one out on our own too if we really had to.

I completely disagree that on the topic of the original post here DDO is a newbie unfriendly game. It's set up in zones, highlights quest givers, blinks the entrance to the quests, basically does everything it can outside of hiring players to stand around and literally escort new players to the quests. Or I suppose they could do away with the towns and areas all together and the game could be on really long hallway arranged by level that players move across as they progress. But that sounds horrifically boring to me.

Where it gets newbie unfriendly in my opinion is the disconnect between p&p experience in effective toon builds that confuse tabletop players, what makes a toon solid, breaking into the player culture especially at endgame levels, and the million half finished and not well documented crafting and ritual options. But finding a quest is just not hard if you put a minimal effort into it. But those are places the wiki is awesome.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Also of note is that yellow door icons on your minimap are indicators for quest entrances that you have accepted a quest for.

Edit: I have to agree with others assessment that if you aren't taking all the good advice here in this thread, then the problem is you, not the game.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 10-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

DDO can be very intimidating at first and turbine seems to be intent on chasing away new players but if you stick around it can be a very rewarding experience (When you aren't cursing the bugs that is.)

Try to explore the harbour and houses and collect all the quests that you can (Talk to the yellow cups on the map.). That way you can at least have the quests in your journal which is a starting point. Also, don't be scared of telling people you are new. Most people are patient and will be happy to help. The people that don't aren't worth bother.

I do think that Turbine needs to re-evaluate a lot of the game play if they are serious about attracting and retaining new players.

Here is the list of things I'd change to encourage a more social, newbie friendly experience:

1. Get rid of the party penalty for deaths.
    2. Add an option to teleport to a questgiver if an LFM is for a particular quest.
    3. Get rid of bravery bonuses and increase the XP granted by optional quest objectives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast