Community Member

Default Shuriken question

Does anyone know the sneak attack range of shurikens? And overally, are they different than other thrown weapons in any way?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJGravity View Post
    Does anyone know the sneak attack range of shurikens? And overally, are they different than other thrown weapons in any way?
    Not in my experience. They seem to work the same way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DJGravity View Post
    Basic ranged sneak attack range of shurikens is the same as all other ranged/throwing/missile weapons: 9 meters (can be increased with Point Blank Shot feat, Elf / Halfelf enhancements, Mechanic enhancement and Deepwood Stalker (ranger) enhancements - they all stack!)

Basically shurikens are not different from other thrown weapons in DDO, though they offer more options:
    .) they are centered weapons => monks can use them
    .) if you take the Shuriken Expertise feat (drow get it for free), high dexterity grants you additional throws that stack with doubleshot
    .) if you have the Ninja Spy core enhancement II, you also get additional throws per attack for high dexterity - stacks with Shuriken Expertise and doubleshot
    .) you can use 10k stars feat with shuriken, which at least partially stacks with all of the above (hard to test - too lazy ;p)

That means (assuming the last test I did is still correct - last test was with U19.1):
    Example character with 50 dex, Shuriken Expertise, at least Ninja Spy II and 20% doubleshot:
    1 attack/shot: base
    ~0,5 attacks/shot: Shuriken Expertise
    ~0,5 attacks/shot: Ninja Spy II
    0,2 attacks/shot: 20% doubleshot

averages to approximately 2,2 base attacks/shot - as 10k stars is a lot more complicated in terms of bonus shots, i will skip it.

maximum attack speed seems to cap somewhere at 83-84 attacks per minute (for throwing weapons) - lets assume 83 as I already reached that one in actual testing

that would than mean ~182,6 attacks per minute before factoring in 10k stars - because of lag and such stuff lets round down to 180 / minute => ~ 2 attacks per second base, with a ranged weapon ... not too bad right? ... and nope, you can't do that with other throwing weapons ;p

disclaimer: just typed that out of my memory - hopefully no (big) errors in my calculation
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

To add to this:

In the hands of a Ninja Spy with the last core enhancement, Ninja Master, shurikens and any other piercing and slashing weapon they wield become vorpal. You can take any lowly star that can break the DR and punch in some nasty (100) or fatal damage with them. Any feats that improve your number of stars thrown is a bonus. Ninja Master is also supposed to add some other critical threat and competence bonuses to damage, however, forum murmurs report that this isn't applying properly.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Is "Shuriken Expertise" working correctly?

Percent chance to throw an additional shuriken is equal to your Dexterity.

So 20 Dex should give you a 20% chance to throw an additional shuriken...

But what is happening is 20 Dex (with the +5 enhancement bonus) is only giving a 5% chance for an additional shuriken.
    Dorian

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Is "Shuriken Expertise" working correctly?

Percent chance to throw an additional shuriken is equal to your Dexterity.

So 20 Dex should give you a 20% chance to throw an additional shuriken...

But what is happening is 20 Dex (with the +5 enhancement bonus) is only giving a 5% chance for an additional shuriken.
    Weird, this seemed to be working fine when i last tested it (july or august)

Quote Originally Posted by Urjak View Post
    .) if you take the Shuriken Expertise feat (drow get it for free), high dexterity grants you additional throws that stack with doubleshot
    .) if you have the Ninja Spy core enhancement II, you also get additional throws per attack for high dexterity - stacks with Shuriken Expertise and doubleshot
    .) you can use 10k stars feat with shuriken, which at least partially stacks with all of the above (hard to test - too lazy ;p)

That means (assuming the last test I did is still correct - last test was with U19.1):
    Example character with 50 dex, Shuriken Expertise, at least Ninja Spy II and 20% doubleshot:
    1 attack/shot: base
    ~0,5 attacks/shot: Shuriken Expertise
    ~0,5 attacks/shot: Ninja Spy II
    0,2 attacks/shot: 20% doubleshot

averages to approximately 2,2 base attacks/shot - as 10k stars is a lot more complicated in terms of bonus shots, i will skip it.

maximum attack speed seems to cap somewhere at 83-84 attacks per minute (for throwing weapons) - lets assume 83 as I already reached that one in actual testing

that would than mean ~182,6 attacks per minute before factoring in 10k stars - because of lag and such stuff lets round down to 180 / minute => ~ 2 attacks per second base, with a ranged weapon ... not too bad right? ... and nope, you can't do that with other throwing weapons ;p

disclaimer: just typed that out of my memory - hopefully no (big) errors in my calculation

Just did my calculations, and your numbers are essentially correct. Though at 180 attacks/min, that's 3 attacks per second

anyways, just some additional info, at 50 dex and 20% double shot, the numbers are:
    20% chance of throwing a single shuriken
    45% chance of throwing 2 shuriken
    30% chance of throwing 3 shuriken
    05% chance of throwing 4 shuriken

The calculation, for anyone else who's interested in such things, is as follows, where Dex is Dexterity Score and DS= double shot

% of 1 shuriken= (1-Dex/100)(1-Dex/100)(1-DS/100)
    % of 2 shuriken= 2*(1-Dex/100)(Dex/100)(1-DS/100)+(1-Dex/100)(1-Dex/100)(DS/100)
    % of 3 shuriken= (Dex/100)(Dex/100)(1-DS/100) + 2*(1-Dex/100)(Dex/100)(DS/100)
    % of 4 shuriken= (Dex/100)(Dex/100)(DS/100)