Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

EXAMPLE 3: Rolling LOW

Dwarven fighter #3

Step 1: Roll 1d6 six times (one 1d6 per stat)

roll #1: 1 build points (BPs)
    roll #2: 2 BPs
    roll #3: 1 BPs
    roll #4: 5 BPs
    roll #5: 3 BPs
    roll #6: 2 BPs

Total BPs rolled are 14. I have 18 remaining.

Step 2: assign build points (in any order) to stats and add to base stat. Stat = base + build points.

STR: 8 + 5 BPs = 13
    DEX: 8 + 2 BPs = 10
    CON: 10 + 3 BPs = 13
    INT: 8 + 2 BPs = 10
    WIS: 8 + 1 BPs = 9
    CHA: 6 + 1 BPs = 7

Step 3: Allocate remaining build points as desired.

Since I have 18 BPs remaining, I can assign them wherever I'd like.

STR: 13 + 8BPs = 17
    DEX: 10 + 1Bp = 11
    CON: 13 + 7BPs = 18
    INT: 10 + 2 BPs = 12
    WIS: 9
    CHA: 7

DWARF #3

STR: 17
    DEX: 11
    CON: 18
    INT: 12
    WIS: 9
    Last edited by Postumus; 10-10-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Default Side by side comparison

So here are my three Dwarven fighters all in a row:

DWARF #1 Dwarf #2 DWARF #3
    STR: 16 14 17
    DEX: 12 14 11
    CON: 18 16 18
    INT: 12 14 12
    WIS: 11 13 9
    CHA: 7 9 7

Again, I would like to publicly apologize to Fedora and everyone for being short and condescending. It was uncalled for.

DEATH
    I would like the option of recalling back to the tavern, especially since the dead are not getting any XP or treasure - which I agree with.
    That or allow us to run around an explorer area just to keep occupied. I'm good with either.
    Are you willing to sacrifice XP or an item/weapon? No problem with that.

ENCUMBRANCE and STORAGE
    I didn't see any guidelines for encumbrance. I remember a discussion where we would use 10% of the listed encumbrance as our max load. This will decrease the number of things we can carry into a quest and may much of the "multiple weapons, shields, bows, ..." conversation mute.
    THACO found that while encumbrance limits items, it's hard to calculate because if you store stuff in other tabs as bank space it throws off your result. You've got to do the tedious task of adding up everything worn and actually used to find what your character is really carrying. Which is why I figured TAB 1 could be the real back pack and the others kind of like a donkey or even pack dog or - hey - a pet, not that I'm saying get a pet, just role play it.

WEAPONS
    As for the debate on weapons, it was said that we could only swap out what is in the first tab; that is 20 spaces. If you want potions, multiple weapons (main and minor), shields, bows, quivers, arrows, etc that space will fill up fast. Personally, although my characters often have a backup weapon, I rarely use it. My ranger probably switches weapons most, from bow to two-weapon fighting gear. Except for Paladins, I don't carry a shield.

Knowing how they are constructed and worn (SCA events, etc), these are not easy to get off. I could see someone carrying a buckler and a bow, and great weapon, but two shields is unlikely due to their encumbrance, which is not just weight but size and "bulkiness". The same goes for 2-handed weapons. If that is someone's playstyle, however, and they want to try their skill under these guidelines, the I am okay with it.
    Keep in mind that tab 1 will be for stuff that you have to switch with regularly. It mainly simulates your weapon harnesses, bandoleers, sheathes, equipment belt etc - stuff on your body right to hand. Not so much really a "pack" at all. Your other tabs are your PACK. You can put stuff INTO your pack, like treasure, new weapons, clothing etc. but it would be suicide to dig into your PACK, or unstrap weapons and armor from it, during combat.

If this is too severe, we can vote for allowing another tab. But I think with only 5 stacks of potions, rogue tools, [bags of holding can go into the PACK], and Magic ingredients [could also possible go into PACK] and unequipped weapons there will be plenty of room.

DICE
    alot of stuff goes here!
    I'll differ to whatever is easiest for everyone, just so long as an 18 is gotten "the hard way", so to speak.

So far we've got

Zejoe
    Varhann
    Postumous
    DrowsworD

LeadHero5 possible, said would make room for another.
    Fricko possible, said would make room for another.

that I know of. Shall we wait a day or so to see if any one else intends? We can meet up in the Harbor on Sat night with any old character to roll for stats.
    Last edited by zefjoe; 10-10-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zefjoe View Post
    Again, I would like to publicly apologize to Fedora and everyone for being short and condescending. It was uncalled for.
    Don't worry about it. He's worse than I am!

Are you willing to sacrifice XP or an item/weapon? No problem with that.
    Yep yep. I don't even care if I'm not allowed to loot rares in the explorer, I just want an option to DO something if I get some bad luck early on.

So far we've got

Zejoe
    Varhann
    Postumous
    DrowsworD
    I think you forgot Book of Dragons

LeadHero5 possible, said would make room for another.
    Fricko possible, said would make room for another.
    One of them BETTER show up. Lead and Frick are half the reason I want to play!

We can meet up in the Harbor on Sat night with any old character to roll for stats.
    Works for me.

Default OOps..

Sorry Book o Dragons.

Varhann
    Postumous
    DrowsworD
    Book o Dragons

Zefjoe, and LeadHero5, and Fricko.

Maybe the three of us could mudwrestle. Two out of three falls.

I'll be in the Harbor with Vinagarune around 8:00.

2016 DDO Players Council zman67's Avatar

I would be interested in joining up. I assume you mean 8:00 pm est . Which server? Available times Sun, Mon & Thurs 7pm to 10:30pm.

Thelanis for now if that suitable. We can decide on play server later.

Community Member

Add me to the list of those willing to give up their seat.

See you Saturday night in the Harbor. I will be with Fendyl (Elf Ranger).

Default I'm up for joining in.

I haven't built a toon to join the group. But then it seams the server is not decided for certain.

I'm available Thursday from 7pm to 10pm EST, Sunday from 8pm to 10pm, Friday and Saturday I will be unreliable. I could be available on Tuesdays from 7pm to 10pm as well.

Since the server hasn't been decided I would suggest considering Wayfinder. With it's lack of population, it should be less laggy than the others at prime time.

I'm thinking either Elf or Halfling. I've got lots of halflings, but they are too cute. No idea what class. I'm thinking of one of rogue, sorcerer, or favored soul but really, I'm open.

On a side note... someone mentioned way back in the thread, the idea of everyone building from the same race. Like a family or clan of adventurers. I'm up for that, too. I'll build any of the free races if you all want to do that.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrowsworD View Post
    DICE
    I tried the D10 system and always ran out of points long before I got to the end. You also have to remember that it is not a one point, one stat system in DDO. The first 6 increases of a stat cost one point, the next two cost 2 and the next cost 3. If you start at 8 and want to a stat to be 16, that cost 10 points, not 8.
    The system is also not well defined. If the point pool is less than 10, you have to roll a d8 or you could get a negative in the pool. If it then falls below 8 you need to switch to a d6, etc. This is not listed in the guidelines but was indicated in the original examples. This method is hard to explain and understand. I tried to create characters using several rolls using this method and they all had problems.
    The d10 system does, indeed, work well.
    Contact me and I can meet in game and show you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Step 3: Allocate remaining build points as desired.

STR: 14 + 4BPs = 16
    DEX: 12
    CON: 15 + 5BPs = 18
    INT: 11 + 1 BPs = 12
    WIS: 11
    That's how the system started last year, but assigning the remainder "as you wished", defeated the point of random rolls.
    But if your group is "build" based, it would seem appropriate to be able to choose which stat to MAX.

It looks as if we can have two teams, so no one will have to sit out if they don't wish to. I'm willing to use Postumous' method. I just think maxing a stat goes against the spirit of things, but it is earned the hard way. As far as same race goes that was Waaaaayyyy back when it wasn't even certain we'd get 4 people.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    That's how the system started last year, but assigning the remainder "as you wished", defeated the point of random rolls.
    But if your group is "build" based, it would seem appropriate to be able to choose which stat to MAX.

I disagree. I think the act of assigning the rolls as a player wishes defeats the purpose of random rolls since players will always put the high rolls in their main stats. As long as you allow players to choose where they can put the highest values, you run the risk of people min/maxing.

Using your method, there are actually two ways I can get 16 build points for any stat of my choice. If I roll a 10 on the first roll I have 16 build points and can max any stat to 20. If I roll a 1 on the first roll and a series of slightly below average values after that, I can end up with 16-23 build points which allows me to have at least one stat at 20.

Your method actually gives me a 15% chance to max a stat to 20.
    Last edited by Postumus; 10-11-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Community Member

Using your method, there are actually two ways I can get 16 build points for any stat of my choice. If I roll a 10 on the first roll I have 16 build points and can max any stat to 20. If I roll a 1 on the first roll and a series of slightly below average values after that, I can end up with 16-23 build points which allows me to have at least one stat at 20.

Your method actually gives me a 15% chance to max a stat to 20.
    Exactly correct.
    15% to receive an 18 in a stat.(20 if used in a racial benefit slot)

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Exactly correct.
    15% to receive an 18 in a stat.(20 if used in a racial benefit slot)

My method only gives about a 4% chance of allowing an 18 in a stat. Too low?

Community Member

Default Traps

One more thing to talk about before someone starts building a trapper.

On Elite, traps are killer and must be auto-spotted and auto-disabled.
    On Normal, traps aren't bad at all and can be a fun part of the game if there is no auto-disable. (I think auto-spot is still needed).
    What about on Hard? Can you get away with no auto-disable? Do traps regularly one-shot people on hard difficulty?

I just hate the auto-disable routine that traps have become in DDO. I much prefer spotting them, searching them, and then finding a way to use or overcome them without disable. I understand this cannot be done on elite - but what about hard?

On Elite, traps are killer and must be auto-spotted and auto-disabled.
    On Normal, traps aren't bad at all and can be a fun part of the game if there is no auto-disable. (I think auto-spot is still needed).
    What about on Hard? Can you get away with no auto-disable? Do traps regularly one-shot people on hard difficulty?
    I've been thinking the same. Possibly doing Hard 1 level ABOVE us? Enemies would be 1 CR or 2 better? Traps would hit for good damage but not 1 shots?

Community Member

My method only gives about a 4% chance of allowing an 18 in a stat. Too low?
    Nope. It's fine.

Default Am I in?

I know I bowed out when it became apparent there were more people wanting to play than we had places to put them, but the PnP in DDO concept still tugs and whispers in my ear!

With two teams, depending on day/time, I'd like a slot on one if possible.

A single class Human Rogue, Ranger, or maybe an elderly Knight of the Chalice (Hunter of the Dead) Paladin to challenge the old broken brain and arthritic fingers.

I can play any server except Thelanis, with Tues, Thurs, 7 PM - midnight EST being best, Fri or Sunday 7 PM EST my second choice.

-Sam

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast