Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default What about...

How do you feel about rolling for chests? 1 roll per chest, round robin.
    A 1d6, 1d4, or 1d3 roll?

I hesitate to use the THACO method because it is purposefully set up to allow any ML item to be equipped since the averages to get a chest are so low. From my own experience, while it does an excellent job of reducing magic items it also limits choice. Been there, doing that.

I can live with Chain End Rewards only, and Valor [this means starting STORM as it's own guild; is the name taken?].

As for healing potions, I'm ok with doing away with them entirely, but keep in mind if the cleric doesn't show or bite's it in quest then... an emergency "healing kit" maybe? 1 Moderate at 1-5, 1 Serious at 6-10, etc.?

How about the idea of limiting all potions to just 5 stacks of 16. That is 5 - pint sized canteens of potion being carried around. PnP?
    Limit them to being found in quest to lower the acquisition rate. This will really depend on the player being observant and honest.

Losing Shrines is also ok with me. I prefer to run on fumes anyway! ;P ALOT can be done with 12 spell points and SLA's.

I'm hoping that interest for a new STORM group hasn't died. Hopefully by Tues. or Wed. those interested can "ratify" the ruleset and set a date to gather and roll numbers.
    Last edited by zefjoe; 10-06-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Chests and Looting: How about
    Common random chests [brown ones] get a 1d6 roll by the party leader or designee. A 1 [16.6% chance] allows the chest to be looted by all.
    Ornate boss chests [red, black or odd type ones] get a 1d3 roll by the party leader or designee. A 1 [33% chance] allows the chest to be looted by all.
    End chests are always looted.
    End Rewards can always be taken.
    This sounds okay and is easier to remember than keeping track of what % chance we are on. I am unsure of end rewards although I agree in that is the “payment” for completing a job.
    As to where the lowly guard gets the stuff to pay us, he is hired by a House representative to contract the job out, and payment comes from one of the Houses, through him. That is why we get House favor awards for each quest.

Potions: how about
    Found potions of any type can be kept.
    Agreed, but only for use in the quest.
    Potions of any type can be bought, but are limited to 5 STACKS of 16 of any type brought into a quest. = 5 pint sized canteens/flagons. A lot when you think about it, severely limits you in what you can have.
    Disagree. I feel this is way too much of a crutch. I think limiting magic should be done both at the chests and in the marketplace. No potions from vendors, AH or alts; except for CLW/CMW for first aid, and limit the number and usage. Trading in consumables would be okay. Allowing any potion to be purchased is too DDO.

"Other potions that are found in quests can be used in the quest only. They are unstable and will break down after being removed from their protective container so you cannot carry them from quest to quest."

This may be hard to implement - you'd have to keep found potions separate and then remember to destroy them before exiting the quest. I can foresee this becoming neglected and an accumulation building up.
    If you cannot purchase any potions but healing them keeping track of what potions were found is easy; they are the only other potions in your pack. Destroy them when you leave the quest. This is no different from having to sell off/remove extra equipment from your packs when you complete the quest, in order to meet are limitations on magic and storage. If this will be neglected so will other parts of the system.

"Potions cannot be “hot barred”. The idea is that you are not going to be able to dig into your pack...I think this is unrealistic. During combat you have to rely on your skill and your cleric or other healer."

I like this idea, it adds some gritty realism. However drinking a potion interrupts combat actions already, doesn't it? It would also be kind of hard to enforce.
    I don’t believe potion drinking is interruptible, like spell casting or scroll reading. I have never had a potion fail, and have drunk potions in the midst of combat without misstep. This is unrealistic.I don't think it is any harder to enforce than other rules.
    Wands and Scrolls:
    Should wands and scrolls be purchasable? If so they might be limited in number and stacks. I personally think this just adds way too much metagamng. The point of being a caster is that the magic ability is within YOU. Wands are just a cheesy way of trying to "extend" the blue bar. Scrolls allow wizards to learn how to manifest the spell power within them. So they can be used to inscribe for that purpose. Which means they could be purchased FOR THAT PURPOSE.
    Agreed – no purchased wands. I waffle on scrolls since I have little experience with wizards and never can get the “scroll reading during combat” clicks down so I rarely have done it. Some scrolls may need to be purchased for wizard spell learning. In PnP – my games – these had to be found or were part of an end reward .
    If we do allow wands to be used I would vote for using just what is found in quest. Wands could be relicts of the ancients and not able to be made now. [Vendors notwithstanding].
    Agreed
    Or
    Perhaps wands could be limited by their ML value adding to the characters ML total. Reducing the number being brought into a quest.
    Agreed

Classes and Races:
    "I think we should stick wih the basic races: Elf, Half-elf, Human, Dwarf, Halfling – no Drow, Half-orc, Warforged."

how about
    Allowed races include everything.
    Allowed classes include everything f2p [not those purchasable].
    Why not stick to f2p for races and classes?

Multiclassing is allowed but with restrictions -
    - Non-humans can have up to 3 classes and must level up alternately between classes, with no more than 2 levels difference between classes.
    - Humans [and thus half-human hybrids] can only dual class and must level in blocks of 5, before changing classes.
    - no splashing
    If allowing multi why not allow humans to multi like everyone else. I know PnP rules limited humans to dual class, does this make humans too powerful? I don’t believe so.

Shrines: how about
    Level 1-5 = no shrine use - Echoes of Power will keep you running
    Level 6-10 = 1 shrine use per quest for mana restoration only - caster needs to be nearly fully healed [no more than 10hp down] before use
    Level 11-15 = 2 shrine use per quest for mana restoration only - caster needs to be nearly fully healed [no more than 10hp down] before use
    Level 16-20 = no shrine use - by this time a dedicated caster should have SLA's and/or the ability to restore some magic
    Agreed

Storage, packs and bars:
    how about:
    the FIRST pack tab is the ONLY tab accessible while in a quest or wilderness. The others act as quick banks or pack mule or porter or whatever you wish to role play [NOTE this means aquired items in quest can be PUT INTO other tabs to carry, just not ACCESSABLE.] If a character is lucky enough to acquire a Portable Hole, that converted pack space could be used as such. Any bags such as Gems, Collectibles or Essences that are gotten in game are allowed [from quest givers or vendors], but cannot be purchased through the DDO store.
    Agreed. This will greatly decrease the items usable during a quest. What about items found during the quest that we wish to swap out.
    Example: You fought off several oozes and your weapon is severely damaged. You find an undamaged weapon in a chest. Can you swap the new weapon for the damaged one? Same for finding potions in the quest. If you find them you can use.

Gear: how about
    Level 1-5; ML = level x 2
    Level 6-10; ML = level x3
    Level 11-15; ML = level x4
    Level 16-20; ML = level x5
    Agreed
    Fortification items get reduced ML. Light Fort item = 1, Moderate = 2, and Heavy = 3 ML.
    Fort items come in %-chance increments now instead of light, moderate, heavy.
    If the item has something else with the Fortification the ML is multiplied by .25/.50/.75 and rounded up.
    We would need to work out the numbers, maybe multiply ML by the fort %, and round up.

Weapon sets equipped and carried in pack be at most:
    - 2 main weapons
    - 2 secondary weapons [light at most]
    then
    - 1 shield
    or
    - 1 bow [xbow]
    - 1 quiver [wide or narrow]
    Agreed
    Each player only gets ONE article of gear for each armor/wearable equip slot that is large and or covers the body. So ONE piece of armor, outfit or robe, ONE headgear, ONE set of bracers, ONE cloak, ONE set of boots.
    Each player can carry two pair of smaller items, so TWO pair of Gloves, Rings, Necklaces, Trinkets, etc.

I think we are getting closer to a final ruleset. I would like to see more people post their thoughts about this last post. Do you think it carries that "old school" flavor. Is it restricting enough without limiting choices? Could you abide by it, and play in the spirit of what it is trying to accomplish?
    The discussions above are close to a consensus. I agree with Magiker on a few points, mainly that we may not be limiting magic enough. But we must remember that we are playing low magic in a high magic world. We have control over what our players use, but not what forces they are up against. Regardless of what we take into the quest, the forces are stacked against us. I want the quests to be challenging, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by zefjoe View Post
    A 1d6, 1d4, or 1d3 roll?
    1d6 is ~17% chance. That may be low enough. Some quests may only have 2 - 3 chests at lower levels, so no guarantee you are going to get ANY reward but the payout. Maybe we have to change teh %-chance depending on the quest level.

I hesitate to use the THACO method because it is purposefully set up to allow any ML item to be equipped since the averages to get a chest are so low. From my own experience, while it does an excellent job of reducing magic items it also limits choice. Been there, doing that.
    Not certain what the THAC0 method is but we won't use it per your experience

I can live with Chain End Rewards only, and Valor [this means starting STORM as it's own guild; is the name taken?].
    This would seriously limit treasure and leave no money for buying expendables, unless we sell of some of the good stuff.

As for healing potions, I'm ok with doing away with them entirely, but keep in mind if the cleric doesn't show or bite's it in quest then... an emergency "healing kit" maybe? 1 Moderate at 1-5, 1 Serious at 6-10, etc.?
    I think we should allow a limited number of potions as "first aid kits".

How about the idea of limiting all potions to just 5 stacks of 16. That is 5 - pint sized canteens of potion being carried around. PnP?
    Limit them to being found in quest to lower the acquisition rate. This will really depend on the player being observant and honest.
    I dislike this as to DDO. The potions make you rely on them and not your skills or those of your group.

Losing Shrines is also ok with me. I prefer to run on fumes anyway! ;P ALOT can be done with 12 spell points and SLA's.

I'm hoping that interest for a new STORM group hasn't died. Hopefully by Tues. or Wed. those interested can "ratify" the ruleset and set a date to gather and roll numbers.
    What night and server is everyone available. I am definitely NOT available on Tuesday or Wednesday and usually play, Thursday, Friday, Saturday late and Sunday. I am EST and usually get online about 8:00PM.

A 1d6, 1d4, or 1d3 roll?

I could live with d6 round robin oer chest.

Potions found in quests should be a good supplement to cover emergencies and we could always add collectable reward potions to the mix. They are hard enough to collect in quantities and should get used up fairly quickly to not be too much an issue.

I am almost certain to be playing a Cleric, so no issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by DrowsworD View Post
    What night and server is everyone available. I am definitely NOT available on Tuesday or Wednesday and usually play, Thursday, Friday, Saturday late and Sunday. I am EST and usually get online about 8:00PM.
    :I'm good any night but Mon and Wed after 7:30 EST

Guys (and gals) - the red text on the dark gray/black background is really really bad. Actually so is the blue.

Use the quote tags instead of colors, please.

That's brackets with the word "quote" in it at the start, and at the end of the quote use "/quote" enclosed in brackets.

[ quote ] Text you are quoting here. [ /quote ] <----- Like this without the spaces inside the brackets.

So, only the "chosen" character looking into the chest will be able to pull "his" instance of treasure and then dole it out? 1 magic item up for bid? And the odds that it is anything anyone wants?

Yes, it would reduce items drastically. It would also cause some problems.

I didn't like this when we tried it in Storm 1. We all rolled and high roll got to loot the chest. Round robin would be more equitable, but I thought it was more fun when everyone could loot the chest rather than just watch one person do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Varhann View Post
    :I'm good any night but Mon and Wed after 7:30 EST
    Once you all figure out the time/night, and if this is a completely separate thing from THACO, I might available as an alternate (cannon fodder) if you need any filler.

Default Draft v2

Classes and Races:
    - Allowed races and classes include everything f2p and unlockable [not those purchasable].
    - Multiclassing is allowed but with no more than 2 levels difference between classes.
    - Characters are rolled up in the company of the party, using 9 3d6 rolls. Any roll under 6 is discarded and rolled again. The highest and lowest rolls are dropped and the remaining 7 allocated as the player wishes.

Shrines:
    Level 1-5 = no shrine use - Echoes of Power will keep you running
    Level 6-10 = 1 shrine use per quest for mana restoration only - caster needs to be nearly fully healed [no more than 10hp down] before use
    Level 11-15 = 2 shrine use per quest for mana restoration only - caster needs to be nearly fully healed [no more than 10hp down] before use
    Level 16-20 = no shrine use - by this time a dedicated caster should have SLA's and/or the ability to restore some magic

Chests and Looting:
    - All chests get 1, 1d6 roll. A 1 [16.6% chance] only allows the chest to be looted by all. Roll by round robin, starting with party leader at the first chest.
    - End chests are not looted.
    - End Rewards can only be taken for Chained quests, otherwise select Valor.
    - Any loot drops from crates or barrels can be kept by the breaker.

Gear and packs:
    - No gear or magic items may be bought at vendors, pawn shops or AH.
    - No twinking of gear.
    - gear may be swapped among the party.

- total number of gear/items equipped and carried = ML total.

Level 1-5; ML = level x 2
    Level 6-10; ML = level x3
    Level 11-15; ML = level x4
    Level 16-20; ML = level x5

- Fortification items get reduced ML. Multiply ML by the fort %, and round up.
    - Ammunition +'s [+1 arrows] or descriptive [~bane arrows] counts as 1 ML/type. [40 +1 arrows = 1 ML, 40 Undead bane arrows = 1 ML]

Weapon sets equipped and carried in pack at most:
    - 2 main weapons

then
    - 1 shield

or
    - 1 bow [xbow]

- Each player only gets ONE article of gear for each armor/wearable equip slot that is large and or covers the body. So ONE piece of armor, outfit or robe, ONE headgear, ONE set of bracers, ONE cloak, ONE set of boots.

- Each player can carry two pair of smaller items, so TWO pair of Gloves, Rings, Necklaces, Trinkets, etc.

- The FIRST pack tab is the ONLY tab accessible while in a quest or wilderness. The others act as quick banks or pack mule or porter or whatever you wish to role play [NOTE this means aquired items in quest can be PUT INTO other tabs to carry, just not ACCESSIBLE.] Only Magic Ingredients are the exception and may be carried in any tab.

- If a character is lucky enough to acquire a Portable Hole, that converted pack space could be used as Accessible space.

- Any bags such as Gems, Collectibles or Essences that are gotten in game are allowed [from quest givers or vendors], but cannot be purchased through the DDO store.

Potions:
    - No potions of any type may be bought from vendors, AH or alts.

- Found potions of any type can be kept, but are limited to 5 STACKS of 16 of any type brought into a quest. = 5 pint sized canteens/flagons. They can be carried from quest to quest
    or
    Potions that are found in quests can be used in the quest only. They are unstable and will break down after being removed from their protective container so you cannot carry them from quest to quest.

Which way to go?

- Healing/cure items can be obtained from collectors provided you got the collectibles from questing. No collectibles (or rewards from collectibles) allowed from outside sources such as AH or alts.

- Potions cannot be “hot barred”. During combat you have to rely on your skill and your cleric or other healer.

Try this or no?

Wands and Scrolls:
    - Wands and Scrolls found in quests can be used within the quest and are stable enough to be kept from quest to quest.

Odds and Ends:
    - normal movement mode is by SNEAK, unless tactically retreating.
    - no finish and Recall unless physically unable to reach entrance or quest has an exit provided.
    - no grouping outside of the party/guild.
    - a party failure 30 minutes or less into a quest allows a re-do.
    - a party failure after 30 minutes requires being tabled for a later date.

Anything else I might have missed?

Default Don't wish to intrude? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Once you all figure out the time/night, and if this is a completely separate thing from THACO, I might available as an alternate (cannon fodder) if you need any filler.
    You and Fedora have standing invites.

And yes, this will be it's own guild/static group. Who will be Guild Leader?, I dunno. Whoever's stupid... I mean gutsy enough to do it.

Potions:
    - No potions of any type may be bought from vendors, AH or alts.

- Found potions of any type can be kept, but are limited to 5 STACKS of 16 of any type brought into a quest. = 5 pint sized canteens/flagons. They can be carried from quest to quest
    or
    Potions that are found in quests can be used in the quest only. They are unstable and will break down after being removed from their protective container so you cannot carry them from quest to quest.

Which way to go?

- Healing/cure items can be obtained from collectors provided you got the collectibles from questing. No collectibles (or rewards from collectibles) allowed from outside sources such as AH or alts.

- Potions cannot be “hot barred”. During combat you have to rely on your skill and your cleric or other healer.

Try this or no?
    If we cannot access our pack except for the first tab, 5 slots of potions takes a bit of available space. In this case they could be hot-barred. the way I envisioned it when I suggested not to allow hot-barred potions was that they would be in the pack and could be accessed after/before combat, but not during.

I also suggested, as did others, that we allow a limited number of CLW/CMW potions as first aid kits. With only one(?) healer and limited SP, a bad go at a mob may leave us alive but decimated. Of course, then we learn to be smarter, better; the whole point of this.

I am good with all the above and consensus of the group for the undecided parts.

What night/server?

I am thinking a Ranger or Wizard - some experience at both but not enough that I know it all or would get bored with it.

- End Rewards can only be taken for Chained quests, otherwise select Valor.
    - Any loot drops from crates or barrels can be kept by the breaker.
    What about Saga end rewards? Those will be a choice of guild renown, xp, or a random skill tome.

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

I'm interested in this.

I think there should be a multiclass rule for humans separate from other races based on their adaptability. (helves may chose either if they are allowed.)

1 main class and 1 secondary class the secondary class is limited to level 4 and while leveling must never be within 4 levels of the primary class after level 5 the secondary may be first taken as level 3. Levels in secondary classes may be taken consecutively (levels 9-12 may all be the second class and then no more secondary class levels may be taken. The first level in this secondary class may be taken any time.

OR

1 main class and 2 secondary classes limited to level 3 in each. MUST level secondary classes consecutively and evenly (never more than 1 level difference). Always must have more than half character levels in primary class (if at different levels in secondary classes count the next level which must be taken in the other secondary class before taking the first). May take first secondary at level 3 but may not take third class until level 5. A third class may be taken as levels 5 through 10 provided the first secondary class is not higher than level 1. At least 1 primary class level must be taken before taking levels in secondary classes again after each pair of levels in secondary classes.

Potions may be 1 or 2 different types on hotbar in stacks of no more than 5 if 2 different types are used or 10 if only 1 type on on a hotbar. Potions that are found in quests may all be kept indefinitely but NON-curatives are limited to 20 of each in your inventory when entering a quest. Hotbarred potions may be moved to another tab but only if there are some remaining in the first tab. Hotbarred potions may be replenished between fights.

Rolling stats is impractical to impossible in DDO and whatever the player has available as a first life is allowed There aren't really any other ways to do it in DDO except for requiring separate accounts for the party.

The TWF feat should allow 4 1-handed weapons instead of 2 main and 2 light.
    I dislike the sneak mode being required and don't really understand why its in there. The new enhancements allow some classes faster sneaking so why does the party rogue end up being the fastest person in the group.

Classes should be free classes + FvS. Arti is a house C favor reward but I believe it is too powerful.
    Races should be Free + drow
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

Chests and Looting:

- End chests are not looted.

Potions:

?

My thoughts on end chests are that they should be included. Just treat them like any other chest.

I would agree with the above potions proposal.

Everything else, including the odds and ends looks good to me. I just want to make sure that flexibility with the rule set is kept if things are not working as expected.
    We want to have fun, keep it challenging and do something different. If we can't make those goals with an open mind, we might as well not try.

Community Member

You've completely abandoned death consequence?

You're allowing Drow?

You're allowing Sorc?

A drow sorc with a rest shrine? [smacks head]

Weapon sets equipped and carried in pack at most:
    - 2 main weapons

then
    - 1 shield

or
    - 1 bow [xbow]
    This looks like you are saying a TWF character gets essentially two sets of weapons (fine), and a THF character gets two sets of weapons (also fine, plus two light weapons which will probably not be carried due to ML restrictions, no big deal, he still has two main weapons), BUT a Sword & Board character only gets two main weapons, but not two shields (even though it would make sense for him to have two primary SETS just like the TWF character) and not only that, but the Sword & Board character can't have a a bow and quiver?

Perhaps I am misreading the use of the word "OR" right after the shield?

I think it would be fair to allow two primary weapons, whether they are:

a. Two 2-handed weapons.
    b. Two SETS of weapons, one 1-handed and 1-light, unless the character takes the "Oversized Two Weapon Fighting" feat, then he/she could have two SETS of 1-handed weapons.
    c. Two 1-handed weapons and 2 shields.

Otherwise, I would just let the ML rule apply. If a person wants to carry 4 nice weapons, he is going to give up something else somewhere, whether it's armor, rings, necklace, whatever.

Likewise, no one may want to allocate ML restricitons for everbright weapons, and instead carry a couple normal clubs or a great club. I don't think the original STORM group had any problems with people carrying 5-6 different weapons for every occasion. Jed always had a magic two-hander, a couple of non-magic great clubs for oozes, and a magic lonbow.
    Last edited by Fedora1; 10-08-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magiker View Post
    Honestly, I think you were the only one ever pushing for a death punishment. Others went along, but I don't think they ever felt like it was entirely necessary. Peer pressure to NOT zerg and the actual DESIRE to play as a team always seemd to be enough reason not to die in STORM.

Death punishments affect the front line melees and rogue scouts/trappers more then arcanes that hang back and well armored divines.

You're allowing Drow?
    Please explain how a Drow is OP.

You're allowing Sorc?
    I stink at playing arcanes, but I have heard that their AOE firepower is quite effective.

Honestly we did fine at levels 1-7 without shrines. I can see the need for a 1-use shrine for quests listed as VERY LONG that are L7 or above.

Characters are rolled up in the company of the party, using 9 3d6 rolls. Any roll under 6 is discarded and rolled again. The highest and lowest rolls are dropped and the remaining 7 allocated as the player wishes.
    You can't use this formula, it won't match up to a 28-32 point build.

- No twinking of gear.
    How does one "twink" gear?

- Each player only gets ONE article of gear for each armor/wearable equip slot that is large and or covers the body. So ONE piece of armor, outfit or robe, ONE headgear, ONE set of bracers, ONE cloak, ONE set of boots.

- Each player can carry two pair of smaller items, so TWO pair of Gloves, Rings, Necklaces, Trinkets, etc.
    Too much detail. Just let ML restrictions guide this, and no swapping gear during a fight.

Try this or no?
    Seems like a complicated rule set and impossible to enforce.

- normal movement mode is by SNEAK, unless tactically retreating.
    Or when about to engage the battle - no need to stand in sneak mode until your first swing.

If you are about to open a door, everyone can get ready for battle in case something is on the other side.
    If you see mobs down the end of a long hallway, but they don't see you, if the plan is to bum rush you can begin your run at the most tactical moment, not waiting until you sneak close enough for them to see/hear you.

- no finish and Recall unless physically unable to reach entrance or quest has an exit provided.
    A waste of time if there are no mobs/traps behind you. If the way is 100% clear behind you, recall.

Play to have fun, keep the spirit of PnP despite rules. Play as a group. No whiners.

You're allowing Drow?

You're allowing Sorc?

You are assuming that the Drow Sorc ever gets anything worth a damn in magic items, which for the first 5 levels, he pretty much won't. The new loot tables are all melee favored with caster gear as a very uncommon or rare. A Sorc without Wizardry gear and enhancment scepters is the same as a wiz with less spell selection. At least from lvl 1-5.

Dropping end rewards from the system is a game changer for casters. I play in the Monday night THACO group. I have looted a total of 4 chests along with the whole party. We have not generated one piece of caster gear out of 24 possible loots except 2 scrolls. Random loot makes casters come down a few pegs in the lower and mid levels.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Honestly, I think you were the only one ever pushing for a death punishment. Others went along, but I don't think they ever felt like it was entirely necessary. Peer pressure to NOT zerg and the actual DESIRE to play as a team always seemd to be enough reason not to die in STORM.

Death punishments affect the front line melees and rogue scouts/trappers more then arcanes that hang back and well armored divines.
    Not true. Zefjoe has on many occasions spoken in favor of it. Perhaps he has recently changed his mind? Also, you yourself on more than occasion admitted being guilty of a strong tendency to zerg. I do agree that Postumus has no need of a consequence to maintain his playstyle, but most DDOers don't have his heavily PD-influenced background.

Also, while rogues do have a higher death chance due to traps...isn't that why an admin item is allowed? And I disagree that front-line types are more vulnerable than arcanes, unless you're talking about a non-tank frontliner that makes heavy use of intimidate.

Please explain how a Drow is OP.
    1) +4 to ability points (including the primary casting stat for arcane types), which translates into more SP and better DCs (an advantage that is more relevant in a gear-restricted setting)

2) innate spell resistance (i.e. that cannot be replicated by the free feat that humans get).

I stink at playing arcanes, but I have heard that their AOE firepower is quite effective.
    My experience has shown me, in this type of playstyle, that a caster's best defense is aggro mgt. Any AoE will get you dead quick, especially if you cannot get the spell DC high enough to actually kill those affected.

Regardless, a sorc has twice the spellpoints of a wizard and that becomes very telling in an SP restricted playstyle.

Honestly we did fine at levels 1-7 without shrines. I can see the need for a 1-use shrine for quests listed as VERY LONG that are L7 or above.
    I feel that echoes is more than enough to compensate on very long quests. And I feel that allowing spell selection during the quest is something of a cheat. Its almost akin to preparing spells beforehand based on meta-knowledge. If there was actually a chance that shrine usage would be interrupted (and thus lost) due to wandering monsters, then I'd be ok with it. But sadly its more of a "do over" button.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast