Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lag since U19

Default Lag since U19

Has anyone noticed a huge increase in Lag. I've been playing since beta and have dealt with this on and off as time has gone on. But Never as bad since U19 has started and them adding Awsome blah blah. I currently have a Geforce Gtx 660 Ti video card I just upgraded to decrease my lag and found it didn't help. It's getting to the point I"m not playing since I don't want to deal with the Lag? Any suggestions? Or opinions? I also started playing in the very low graphics dispaly to see if that would help and I immediately turn off all Awsome when I log on to see if that helps?

Acebarb, Acetank, Acehealer, Aceedc, Acewiz, Acemagic, Aceee, Acemonk, and Aceeee.

Can't say I've noticed a change in lag since the update, but DC frequency has increased and I have this annoying random per login functioning of my microphone.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

I've never personally experienced lag in DDO. That said, my guild mates who are not normally complainers in any way shape or form have all been talking about an increase in lag lately. As well as odd launcher behaviours.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member

Thumbs down

I've always had high latency and rarely ever dies from a truly awful lag spike, but now it is happening far more regularly. The most frequest place for all party lag I've seen is in HoX, we can all be communicating fine over teamsepeak but the raid continues to freeze.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I've noticed an increase in client lag over time. However, it isn't the same as many people describe there lag, but I do wonder if others are effected the same.

-------------------------------------------

Description: lag via frame rate loss.

Symptom: over time frame rate decreases. it is not a dramatic spike but a gradual slow down that can make a person think "memory leak" and make them restart the client fresh.

How to produce: When in a quest, open your map and run around with it open.

Observation: On my system it seems to have problems drawing the 2d map with the 3d world. It drops the frame rate drawing a noticeable amount and makes the lag spikes worse. Upon closing the map this effect should go away, however, it doesn't seem to completely go away as if the 2d map is still being drawn on the screen just in a layer that can not be seen. Also, the mouse pointer retains the same icon it had with the map up further making the player wonder about this effect. Playing with the map open/closing, aka expected player habit, seems to degrade performance leaving the player with no recourse other than to restart the client.

Community Member

Lightbulb

There are places where frame rate loss is tremendous, like The Black Loch - had to dumb down the settings a heap just to get through the sections where you could see the boat.

Yeah, lagging a bit more with each update. Lag seems to stack!
    On Lamannia its like 10x worse, even with only ~50 players on (+ any anynomous). Guess its only a matter of time before it hits Live, as its not a testserver anymore... Just a preview.

Ilmer
    Ilmer Silverhilt, 36pt Elf Fighter12/Monk6/Paladin2. The Kighter
    Mesmerita d'Jorasco, 36pt Drow Bard20.
    Acrobot, 34pt Warforged Rogue20.
    The Adventure Pack(180), Cannith.

Default Archaic Device

Quote Originally Posted by kwyjibo_lol View Post
    There are places where frame rate loss is tremendous, like The Black Loch - had to dumb down the settings a heap just to get through the sections where you could see the boat.
    I've also noticed a huge performance issue come on as soon as I enter the main chamber in the Loch, and also in the dragon conversation at the end of Littany, although these predate U19. I generally assume they're do to the age and primitiveness of my DDO machine.

That Littany one... It takes me ~15 minutes to run Littany, 2/3 of which is talking to the Dragon. I drop into the cage... start the conversation... and... wait... for... it... to... catch... up... so... I... can... make... another... choice. All the while the dragon is moving in super stuttery slow-mo, like that guy on TV diving to catch a falling vase saying "nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!" Once the conversation concludes and I drop out, all is fine and normal again.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Unhappy This is what happened to me today:

Today I experience the lag that was present back in 2009-10 and the fix they came up with was Dungeon Alert.

I was fighting a bunch of Lizard Folk Fighters in the Deep dungeons of Wheloon prison and I had to hit alt-f4 to get back into the game.

Today to a T it did the same glich as it did in 2010 in an experience I had in the Giant hold Explorer. Tons of mobs doing the same repetitive motions while I was unable to move my character but was stuck in place and would see it play in extremely slow motion to the point the buffer explodes on the data causing a melt down in the entire Servers population.

2014 DDO Players Council

Yes, it's been noticeable worse more me since U19.

That's not to say it's unplayable, or that it was perfect before, but I get lag-freezes and general unresponsiveness during play quite a bit more often now.

Havent noticed any increase in lag, but have DCed twice after the update. The usual rate has been about once/year, so it is a marked increase there.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Default Oh yeah...

Bug reported troublesome lag tonight. In Shroud...no surprise there.

My toon died....I saw her stone..but on my screen she was still alive by the look of the toon and the health bar too.

It happens almost everywhere now to some degree....moving along and a sudden rapid frame rate loss (yellow, sometimes red latency icon appears) and the toons can hardly move, if at all.

MOST upsetting to not be able to manipulate the character...bugs such as items not working as intended, ladder hitches, etc are annoying, but this *lag* is not an annoyance, and is a huge roadblock to keeping the toons alive. Lag at the wrong moment and you die from the mobs attacking the toon while you don't even see it happening :/
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

It is about the same as pre U19. But since it was and is sometimes horrible, do not stop your investigations on reducing lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    I've noticed an increase in client lag over time. However, it isn't the same as many people describe there lag, but I do wonder if others are effected the same.

-------------------------------------------

Description: lag via frame rate loss.

Symptom: over time frame rate decreases. it is not a dramatic spike but a gradual slow down that can make a person think "memory leak" and make them restart the client fresh.

How to produce: When in a quest, open your map and run around with it open.

Observation: On my system it seems to have problems drawing the 2d map with the 3d world. It drops the frame rate drawing a noticeable amount and makes the lag spikes worse. Upon closing the map this effect should go away, however, it doesn't seem to completely go away as if the 2d map is still being drawn on the screen just in a layer that can not be seen. Also, the mouse pointer retains the same icon it had with the map up further making the player wonder about this effect. Playing with the map open/closing, aka expected player habit, seems to degrade performance leaving the player with no recourse other than to restart the client.
    Those are the same exact simptoms I get on my two computers. One is a 4 years old AMD with windows XP, the other one is an Intel dual core with windows 7. One has an nvidia graphics card and the other one is ATI. Both computers have been freshly installed, completely checked (memory, hard disks, virus, malware). The problem is within the software (DDO Client) and is not affected by hardware AFAIK. (15 years as an IT technician and programmer gives some experience and knowledge).

I've alse noticed a huge frame rate loss when switching characters. Closing the open "Awesomium.exe" proccess from task manager helps lessen the problem, but eventually it disconnects or becomes unplayable (until game is restarted). If the game is going slow, most of the times I zone in a new area, It just times out and get disconnected from the server. I've also noticed that those dcs happen mostly when the "Loading" screen takes more than a minute to start filling the progress bar.
    D&D player since 1991. Played every D&D videogame since Eye of the Beholder. ¡¡¡Creeped by the 4th ed D&D ruleset!!!

Community Member

There's a notable increase in lag, but no worse than the usual post-update lag. And personally, I've had less trouble with U19 lag than the previous two updates.

Then again, Mabar's coming up.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirArion View Post
    Has anyone noticed a huge increase in Lag. I've been playing since beta and have dealt with this on and off as time has gone on. But Never as bad since U19 has started and them adding Awsome blah blah. I currently have a Geforce Gtx 660 Ti video card I just upgraded to decrease my lag and found it didn't help. It's getting to the point I"m not playing since I don't want to deal with the Lag? Any suggestions? Or opinions? I also started playing in the very low graphics dispaly to see if that would help and I immediately turn off all Awsome when I log on to see if that helps?
    Yes.

Lag is way worse, for everyone I've talked to. Even those with tonnes of video ram, tonnes of computer ram, tonnes of hard drive space, brand new installs, and all of the goodies that... should allow us to play a 7 year old game fairly quick.

Yes. Black Loch is a crazy example, but yes - the whole party got it while looking at the boat.

Yes, Mabar is coming.

If lag gets worse, I'll just log off and wait till mabar is done, because frankly, this is ********.

Community Member

I have noticed since U19 an extreme (compared to before) lag loading the hotbars and inventory icons the first time. Interestingly two specific items sets take almost 10 seconds longer to load than everything else. It's always the same two spots in the same hotbar, containing my weapon combos "Epic Midnight Greetings/Star of day" and "Star of day/Rapier of air". The rest loads as fast (or slow) as always, but I had these items already before U19.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Don't know if this has anything to do with your observation but recently I had just entered Gianthold and hit M: my map appeared upside down! My minimap also turned upside down. After closing the large map my minimap remained upside down but started to rotate like it was trying to correct.

On topic I also have noticed an increase in lag.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    Yes.

Lag is way worse, for everyone I've talked to. Even those with tonnes of video ram, tonnes of computer ram, tonnes of hard drive space, brand new installs, and all of the goodies that... should allow us to play a 7 year old game fairly quick.

Yes. Black Loch is a crazy example, but yes - the whole party got it while looking at the boat.

Yes, Mabar is coming.

If lag gets worse, I'll just log off and wait till mabar is done, because frankly, this is ********.

For better understanding of what lag is:

The Black Lock? Not server lag. The water in that part is bugged and you're seeing the highest graphics setting for water effects there. That's your graphics card (and mine. don't feel bad). Pink nonsense in Wheloon? It's the misty layer effects (which I don't have trouble with at all. DX9 and lower graphics settings without the poorly coded bells and whistles is your answer).

Rubberbanding every other second, unable to damage anything ranged while that's occuring? Freezing and suddenly taking a text wall of damage? Server lag.

Since I started this Thread. I've down graded to DX9 and that has actually helped. Why I have one of the best video cards available for my $$ range and have to use DX9 to play this game kinda gets me a little upset. I'm usually doing older quests due to grinding for my Completionist although I have 14 other toons ranged from 21-26th level. But I play this game to relax from the busy RL I have, and playing no brainers grinding to get to 20 is nice sometimes. Since I've gone to DX 9 it has helped. But that just seems a little wrong to me. I still log on and turn off awsome blah blah and that makes a difference, but with the system I"m running something is wrong. When I go to speakeasy.com and check my internet it consistently gets 21+ meg download and 5ish meg upload. So I am pretty sure lag is from the game or my computer. I've even wiped my hard drive completely and down loaded everything and made sure I have all the updates and then re-downloaded DDO to see if that helped. Lag is better than it was before, but certainly not good. I didn't want this to be a gripe session. I was just honestly looking for a fix. I'm a founder and you can see from my posts I don't post a lot. I just want to play the game and have fun. Anyways Good hunting and good luck with whatever lag you have.

Acebarb, Acetank, Acehealer, Aceedc, Acewiz, Acemagic, Aceee, Acemonk, and Aceeee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast